Brake disc replacement

Chat about anything here

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Brake disc replacement

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 26 Apr 2019, 19:09

At a recent service and MOT my car apparently needed new brake pads and discs. That's after less than 24,000 miles of gentle use. I'm not one for screaming up to hazards or other cars and slamming the anchors on and have always experienced below average wear. I would add that the tyres are still the originals and have plenty of wear left, confirming my driving style. So I was horrified.

I'm prepared to concede the pads on the basis they might need replacement before my next service in another year or around 6,000 miles. But I've never ever previously needed new discs at less than 50,000 - 60,000 miles.

I've emailed the manufacturers and politely suggested they might meet half the cost of the shoddy discs. They declined and seemingly have no problem with such premature wear.

Am I being unreasonable? What is other members' experience of brake wear.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 26 Apr 2019, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

Whynd1
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Brake disc replacement

Post by Whynd1 » 26 Apr 2019, 19:28

Merv

You are the third person who I know of in the last two weeks who has been told they either need new brake pads,discs or brake fluid.
This was following service and MOT on cars under four years old with low mileage.

Perhaps the guidelines on all cars are becoming more stringent.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 26 Apr 2019, 19:33

I think it's a sign of the times I'm afraid. I was talking to my tyre supplier and telling him I used to be able to get 30,000 miles out of my tyres with no problem at all. He told me it was highly unlikely nowadays you could expect anything like that and I presume the same would apply to brake pads, although 24,000 miles is not a lot.
I presume they work on the basis that the fewer miles you can get out of tyres and brake pads the better it is for business. Inbuilt obsolescence or are they just making everything a tad thinner?

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 26 Apr 2019, 19:43

Merv, as you may or may not know I use to be a mechanic. I could shoe a horse in less than twenty minutes πŸ˜€

Seriously, did you have the car from new. If yes then i would either take my car to a main dealer for a second opinion or contact the ministry of transport explaining your views.

If you purchased the car second hand then you don't know how it was treated and could very well be in need of new brakes.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 26 Apr 2019, 19:56

Stephen wrote: ↑
26 Apr 2019, 19:43
Merv, as you may or may not know I use to be a mechanic. I could shoe a horse in less than twenty minutes πŸ˜€

Seriously, did you have the car from new. If yes then i would either take my car to a main dealer for a second opinion or contact the ministry of transport explaining your views.

If you purchased the car second hand then you don't know how it was treated and could very well be in need of new brakes.
I knew that! That nice young man told me in Madeira!

Sadly the garage that said they needed replacement is a main dealer! And I had a look and can't disagree about the pads. It's the discs that annoy me. Must be made of balsa wood!

Although I've not had it from new it had only done 7,000 miles in its first year when I bought it and that was at the hands of a retired Ford senior manager so unlikely to be a boy racer. But you're right. That is likely to be their excuse. But it's still a mystery that the tyres are only lightly worn. Hard to cane the brakes without the tyres too.

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 26 Apr 2019, 19:58

I'm afraid it sounds like your going to have to bite the bullet and pay up. You will buy these noddy cars.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 26 Apr 2019, 20:30

I may not buy another one! I told them that. Shame because apart from this niggle it's a lovely car. What price customer satisfaction eh? Not worth Β£62 to them apparently.

Now if Cubie was still around I could ask for a copy of his cut and paste compo claim!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 26 Apr 2019, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 27 Apr 2019, 08:00

Try getting a quote from a local chappie rather than a main dealer and save yourself a few bob.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 27 Apr 2019, 09:17

Mobietta was told the same by a Toyota Main Dealer so I took it to a reputable local garage. They advised that the pads could be replaced but that it was not urgent, the discs were fine but in any event they could be skimmed rather than being replaced if a problem were to develop at a later date.

We have a chum who is retired now but used to be a Principal at a Ford Main Dealership, he advises that it is not unknown for mechanics to report problems because they need the parts for their own cars … just saying.

Whynd1
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Whynd1 » 27 Apr 2019, 09:37

Ford parts used to be made of British steel, now its Chinese and the quality is not as good.

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 27 Apr 2019, 10:56

Manoverboard wrote: ↑
27 Apr 2019, 09:17
Mobietta was told the same by a Toyota Main Dealer so I took it to a reputable local garage. They advised that the pads could be replaced but that it was not urgent, the discs were fine but in any event they could be skimmed rather than being replaced if a problem were to develop at a later date.

We have a chum who is retired now but used to be a Principal at a Ford Main Dealership, he advises that it is not unknown for mechanics to report problems because they need the parts for their own cars … just saying.

A very risky practice. Don't know if it is still carried out these days but when I was in the workshop garages would be randomly spot checked without warning by a ministry of transport bod who randomly picked a car that had been serviced that day and check that it had been carried out correctly as per service schedule. But more importantly ALL parts were fitted according to the service schedule. If they weren't, and it did happen once (not by me) that person who carried the work was in deep trouble and had to explain why, and ultimately was sacked.
Last edited by Stephen on 27 Apr 2019, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni » 27 Apr 2019, 12:01

Try sticking your reg into this site and it should give you an idea of what various local garages would charge
https://www.repairanycar.com/#nbb
But always check the price directly with the garage as well

I had a Renault and every service (9000) miles they said the pads needed changed (because they would not reach the next service). They said it was down to removing asbestos making the pads softer. I asked them not to but the best I got was about 15K. I then took it to KwikFit and to be fair, I never had to pay for brake pads again on that car (when they wore they just replaced them).

As far as tyres are concerned, do you have low profile or ultra low profile tyres. Apparently these low profile rims wear the tyres much faster - although again, due to newer regulation the tyres are softer ... apparently it relates to fuel economy, road noise and environmental.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 27 Apr 2019, 12:06

Thanks for the various comments. A number of points. I've already paid. I needed the car back and was too busy to take it to other garages for other quotes. I'd hoped Ford might refund part of the cost as the life was ridiculous. No question of mechanic taking worn parts home because I insisted I did! And tyres are fine. They'll outlast the brakes by 100%.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi » 30 Apr 2019, 17:20

I think you need to be a little less gentle on the brakes! As I understand it, corrosion sets in on the disc and if not scraped of (hard braking) will continue to eat away into the disc causing pitting. Tends to happen on the rear discs more than the front.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 30 Apr 2019, 19:36

These were the front. And they're not corroded or pitted. They're worn thin. From further correspondence with Ford they appear to consider this to be a normal life for brake discs.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 30 Apr 2019, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 29 May 2019, 18:11

And after much evasion and dodging the question Ford have still not conceded the discs were poor quality but have lobbed a Β£50 voucher towards the next service.

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 30 May 2019, 07:56

Better than nothing. Mind you, they'll probably get the fifty quid back by adding it onto the next service price.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 30 May 2019, 09:34

I was hoping for a free cruise.

Whynd1
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Whynd1 » 30 May 2019, 21:23

Is that Cunard or P and O Merv ?

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 30 May 2019, 22:05

Β£50 jaunt down the Manchester Ship Canal I reckon!!

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 30 May 2019, 22:15

oldbluefox wrote: ↑
30 May 2019, 22:05
Β£50 jaunt down the Manchester Ship Canal I reckon!!
I'd expect change! A lot of it.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 30 May 2019, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob » 31 May 2019, 13:32

Typically brake discs will last for two sets of brake pads, from 50,000 to 70,000 miles. If you are getting through your pads quicker than that I suggest you reconsider your driving style ;)

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 31 May 2019, 14:33

Quizzical Bob wrote: ↑
31 May 2019, 13:32
Typically brake discs will last for two sets of brake pads, from 50,000 to 70,000 miles. If you are getting through your pads quicker than that I suggest you reconsider your driving style ;)
I agree entirely QB. And that has been my past experience. If you bothered to read the whole thread QB :crazy: you will see that I already referred to my driving style and it is considerate and sensible. That is why I have been a member of the IAM for 50 years. :thumbup:

That is why I was so horrified with the need to replace them at 23,000. And why I have been in conversation with Ford about the inferior quality of those fitted. By their grudging agreement to now send me Β£50 it appears they agree I have a point. :clap:

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 31 May 2019, 14:44

Know what !
I don't think I've ever had brake discs replaced in any car I've ever owned.
Lots of brake pads and shoes back in the day, but I can't remember having discs done. :relaxed:

I once owned a CLK for 12 years and put about 75K on it, bit don't think the discs were ever changed.

I chopped that in for a CLS and put about 40K on that that but again, no brake discs.

I wonder if this VW 4x4 tractor will be as good.
Last edited by barney on 31 May 2019, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 31 May 2019, 15:23

Our high mileage tractor ' nearly ' had replacement discs but they weren't actually required …. so still using the originals :clap:

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 31 May 2019, 15:38

Nothing wrong with an anchor and bricks.......or am I using the wrong words :D

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob » 31 May 2019, 17:28

Mervyn and Trish wrote: ↑
31 May 2019, 14:33
I agree entirely QB. And that has been my past experience. If you bothered to read the whole thread QB :crazy: you will see that I already referred to my driving style and it is considerate and sensible. That is why I have been a member of the IAM for 50 years. :thumbup:

That is why I was so horrified with the need to replace them at 23,000. And why I have been in conversation with Ford about the inferior quality of those fitted. By their grudging agreement to now send me Β£50 it appears they agree I have a point. :clap:
II did read the whole thread, of course, but it is unlikely that the discs would be of inferior material. Maybe the calipers are binding? Is the wear even across the axle?

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 31 May 2019, 18:34

31 May 2019, 17:28

II did read the whole thread, of course, but it is unlikely that the discs would be of inferior material. Maybe the calipers are binding? Is the wear even across the axle?
If you'd read the whole thread why did you insult me by querying my driving style?

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob » 04 Jun 2019, 17:27

31 May 2019, 18:34
31 May 2019, 17:28

If you'd read the whole thread why did you insult me by querying my driving style?
Touchy? I can only assume that you missed the winky thingy ;)

If it's any consolation to you I have just had to pay for three new tyres, a steering realignment and two new wiper blades :(

(No, it's not the way I drive)
Last edited by Quizzical Bob on 04 Jun 2019, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 04 Jun 2019, 17:50

Oh yes it is ... :lol:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 04 Jun 2019, 18:52

Manoverboard wrote: ↑
04 Jun 2019, 17:50
Oh yes it is ... :lol:
But only for the wiper blades :lol: :lol:

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi » 04 Jun 2019, 19:13

I have heard of discs needing replacing due to too gentle driving- typically the rear discs.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 04 Jun 2019, 20:59

Thanks for all the suggestions. However my driving style is not the issue. I've driven the same way for the past 50 years and have typically got more than twice the mileage out of discs.

After correspondence and consulting the dealer, while being very careful to avoid any admission, Ford have coughed up. Whatever the actual problem, be it a manufacturing fault, a design issue or substandard work by a Ford dealer, I conclude that means they agree it's not me.

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni » 05 Jun 2019, 07:43

Just had to get two new tyres on my car and used the KwikFit mobile service for the first time. The fitter phoned to let me know he was on his way, he arrived about 30 minutes later and had a couple of new tyres on my car and away in another 30 minutes. Excellent service - and the price was actually the cheapest (and I get a free in-car camera for ordering Michelins). Win-win :)

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 05 Jun 2019, 09:20

04 Jun 2019, 20:59
Thanks for all the suggestions. However my driving style is not the issue. I've driven the same way for the past 50 years and have typically got more than twice the mileage out of discs.

After correspondence and consulting the dealer, while being very careful to avoid any admission, Ford have coughed up. Whatever the actual problem, be it a manufacturing fault, a design issue or substandard work by a Ford dealer, I conclude that means they agree it's not me.

Good result.........now about that drink 🍺

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 05 Jun 2019, 12:04

Kendhni wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2019, 07:43
Just had to get two new tyres on my car and used the KwikFit mobile service for the first time. The fitter phoned to let me know he was on his way, he arrived about 30 minutes later and had a couple of new tyres on my car and away in another 30 minutes. Excellent service - and the price was actually the cheapest (and I get a free in-car camera for ordering Michelins). Win-win :)
I've never used KwikFit mobile but a similar service and like you, found it excellent.
A simple google search shows who does it in your area.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 05 Jun 2019, 16:14

05 Jun 2019, 09:20

Next time we're in Essex! We can toast the Ford factory. And you can give the car a quick service.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 05 Jun 2019, 16:16

barney wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2019, 12:04
Kendhni wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2019, 07:43
I've never used KwikFit mobile but a similar service and like you, found it excellent.
A simple google search shows who does it in your area.
These things are great if you have time pressures. We go to a well-established local tyre fitter, who is much better than our local branch of KwikFit was. Which is probably why they closed!

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 05 Jun 2019, 16:48

05 Jun 2019, 16:14
05 Jun 2019, 09:20

Next time we're in Essex! We can toast the Ford factory. And you can give the car a quick service.

Can you park it round the corner :sarcasm:

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni » 05 Jun 2019, 17:07

On the subject of brakes, my car is just out of a service today. It has 20K miles on it and they have reported that the pads and disks are only 10% worn? Very surprising!!

On the other hand the report says the 'no signs of damage, car was dirty' ... of course it flamin well was dirty, part of the service includes a valet clean inside and out, I expect my moneys worth

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Stephen » 06 Jun 2019, 08:33

If it hadn't been valeted I would have gone back and made then do it before leaving the premises.

Return to β€œGeneral Chat”