Noses in the trough

Chat about anything here

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Noses in the trough

Post by barney » 08 May 2019, 10:29

It appears that our politicians have leaned nothing since the expenses scandal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -suspended

Multiple breaches including sitting cabinet ministers and the right honourable leader of the opposition.
Thta's over half of MPs taking the pee.

Then, to rub salt onto the wound, the watchdog that was set up to monitor this, decided to try and sweep it under the table, for fear of embarrassing the MPs

I expect that admitting to being an MP is embarrassment enough these days. ;)

They are taking us for mugs, they really are. :thumbdown:

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Noses in the trough

Post by Happydays » 08 May 2019, 11:37

Same old,same old! They'll never change until there's a suitable punishment 😋and it's always the same excuses😜

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 08 May 2019, 11:42

I am not in any way defending these MPs but I wonder what the actual detail is. For example if an MP is halfway round the world on Government business and ends up being a few days late submitting the paperwork is that counted? And if it is then it could explain why there are ministers listed.

If, on the other hand, they are just sticking two fingers up and not doing as they should then they should be named and shamed.

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 08 May 2019, 13:00

I would suggest that many are simply incompetent at doing the basics David.

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 08 May 2019, 14:33

Well they're pretty incompetent at everything else!

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 08 May 2019, 15:25

No excuses, they know the rules, they just choose to abuse them because they know the worst they can expect is a slap on the wrist.....One rule for them, much harsher one for Joe public :thumbdown:

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 08 May 2019, 16:04

Here's an idea of how to elect MPs. Well let's face it previous methods haven't yielded great results.

Abolish all expenses and have just a salary to cover everything. Let prospective MPs tell us how much they wish to be paid and the result is decided by a sort of reverse auction. The cheapest one gets the job.

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 08 May 2019, 16:31

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
08 May 2019, 16:04
Here's an idea of how to elect MPs. Well let's face it previous methods haven't yielded great results.

Abolish all expenses and have just a salary to cover everything. Let prospective MPs tell us how much they wish to be paid and the result is decided by a sort of reverse auction. The cheapest one gets the job.
I've no issue on any genuine expenses Merv.
But, they should be accountable and accounted for.
That is the fair way of doing it.

I have a friend back in Kent who is an MP and could, should he choose to do so, claim for a residence in London.
He doesn't, but chooses to stay locally to Westminster, in a hotel when needs be.
That, in my book is a legitimate expense and should be claimed for, in the correct manner.

allatc
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by allatc » 09 May 2019, 09:17

and sadly UK MP's expenses pale into insignificance when compared to the fraud legitimate expense that goes on in the EU.

Topic author
barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 09 May 2019, 09:30

allatc wrote:
09 May 2019, 09:17
and sadly UK MP's expenses pale into insignificance when compared to the fraud legitimate expense that goes on in the EU.
The rules are different in the EU. They do not have to declare or even show receipts. They get an allowance that they can spend on what they choose. Thems the EU rules.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec » 09 May 2019, 10:29

barney wrote:
09 May 2019, 09:30

The rules are different in the EU. They do not have to declare or even show receipts. They get an allowance that they can spend on what they choose. Thems the EU rules.
So, almost like it used to be for our MPs, before we discovered they were spending it on duck houses, moat clearing and, bizarrely, amassing a collection of light bulbs (my MP at the time).

My current MP has had her parliamentary credit card suspended 14 times for breaches of the rules. :crazy:
Last edited by anniec on 09 May 2019, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni » 11 May 2019, 06:01

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
08 May 2019, 16:04

That system was tried and we got Corbyn and Abbott.

Return to “General Chat”