MSC

Anything about MSC cruises

Topic author
spanishlady27
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

MSC

Post by spanishlady27 »

We have. Seen a great deal on the new MSC ship, has anyone done MSC and what do you think?

pennib49
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: MSC

Post by pennib49 »

We went on the Lirica a couple of years ago - a week round the Emirates. let me put it this way - MSC would not be my first port of call when looking for a cruise. The only good thing was that we bought an all inclusive drinks package and we certainly made good use of it as it included whole bottles of wine which came in useful at dinner. We had an inside cabin - first and last time for that. The buffet was appalling. We have met people since (on P&O) who had also been on MSC, but different ship to us - and when I happened to mention MSC they all fell about laughing as their experience was so bad!!!

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Spanishlady, there is a great report here from sunseeker99 who was recently on the MSC Opera.

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Ah, thanks Ken. I was going to do a link but you've beaten me to it!

Spanishlady - it's so difficult recommending holidays, cruises, cruise lines. Things that we loved you might hate, things we couldn't stand might be your favourite!

Just to flesh out the picture, Opera was our 11th cruise. We've been on Oceana, Ventura and Azura, plus Queen Victoria and Thompson Celebration. Enjoyed them all, in their own ways. Opera comes in way ahead of Thompson, in terms of the fabric of the ship, facilities etc, if you're thinking of it as cheap and cheerful.

I think it gives very good value, pound for pound. Please PM me if you have specific questions

cruiseclues
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by cruiseclues »

pennib49 wrote:
We went on the Lirica a couple of years ago - a week round the Emirates. let me put it this way - MSC would not be my first port of call when looking for a cruise. The only good thing was that we bought an all inclusive drinks package and we certainly made good use of it as it included whole bottles of wine which came in useful at dinner. We had an inside cabin - first and last time for that. The buffet was appalling. We have met people since (on P&O) who had also been on MSC, but different ship to us - and when I happened to mention MSC they all fell about laughing as their experience was so bad!!!
We went on MSC Lirica a number of years back...the buffet was okay if you didn't need much seasoning on your food...we do. The Pasta was outstanding, though, and there were several choices of pasta at the buffet. :) :) :) :)
Happy Cruising, Buil
http://Cruiseclues.com

ITWA Travel Writer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ITWA Travel Writer »

I have just read this topic and feel that I must throw in my tuppence worth.

I have sailed on MSC Lirica and Opera, which are classed as the smaller Lirica class ships; MSC Orchestra, Magnifca and Musica which are all classed as medium sized Musica Class ships; MSC Fantasia and Preziiosa which are the large Fantasia class ships.

All are different and all have their own personalities, however, there is one constant. They are all geared totally to the European Market, with the one exception, MSC Divina which is aimed at the American Market.

On any one cruise you will have probably five main nationalities on board and several other minor ones.

This is where all the controversy stems from, especially from Brits and Yanks who rarely speak anything other than English and who prefer a cuisine which in most European countries would be consigned to the garbage pail.

By the way when I speak of ‘Brits’ I use the Roman idiom of Provincia Britannia which refers only to England and Wales.

MSC will broadcast information in five languages and you quickly learn to switch off all but your own. All the daily ships broadsheets are in multiple languages, but you will receive your own language one in your cabin.

Food on board MSC ships has a predominant Italian theme; however, because it classes itself as providing a ‘Mediterranean Experience’, you will find that after every port of call the food will reflect that particular port or region.

For those of you who like ‘Buffet Food’, poor souls, I would remind you that the buffet is not a European speciality although they do try and try very hard. In their buffets you will find that they try to cater for many different tastes, from Italian to Moroccan, from French to Greek, from Spanish to German.

If you are an aficionado of bacon, eggs, black pudding, sausage, beans and tomatoes, you will get them but beware, they will not be the same as Brits expect from the greasy spoons that they normally frequent.

Entertainment will also be geared to cover the range of nationalities aboard, so don’t expect your third rate ‘X’ factor performers normally found on P&O and be prepared for introductions in several languages.

MSC ships are fanatically clean. The cleaning staff work 24 hours a day to keep this cruise line at the very top of the cleanliness rankings.

MSC says that it is is a cruise line offering a Mediterranean Experience and that is exactly what it provides.

If you do not like multinational passenger lists, if you can’t stand anything other than tripe and onions or jellied eels, if you must drink overrated English Beer, if you like your entertainment led by Jane McDonald or if you think that everyone should speak English, then MSC is not for you.

As for me I think they are one of the better cruise lines.
John

Qui descendunt mare in navibus.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I have just had a look at a few Youtube videos of MSC cabins and they do look very nice. Similarly I had a look at one or two from other cruise lines which have been trumpeted on here and was not impressed with them at all, especially considering there was little difference in cruise prices. Each to their own I suppose.

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

Well I've only gone and done it! Book another cruise that is ... and for the first time, not with P&O. We had a 10 day window in November and I'd been looking at all kinds of things including city breaks and Scottish cottages! Then yesterday I received an email advertising a fly cruise with a hotel night in Barcelona (one of our city break options) at a price I couldn't resist. We're going on the MSC Splendida, and I'm a little nervous because of the mixed reviews ... but I usually see positives rather than negatives, and see no reason why this should be any different.
Angela

cuttypatutty68
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

MSC

Post by cuttypatutty68 »

Well we are in the 2013 now hopefully some of these changes have been to the betterment.I am going on the Divina April 11 from Miami to Bermuda staying in Bermuda two days I'm 71 and I go by myself I use electric wheelchair to get around,i'm just hoping and praying that this sh*t will be a good experience!I certainly will be back online to let everybody know how I did do and what I thought of the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We look forward to your return and hearing what you think of MSC.
Our neighbour went on MSC. They usually go with Cunard but they did an MSC cruise and were very happy with it. He is Italian though, despite living in UK for a long time, so they would have stood half a chance of enjoying it. However there were no adverse comments.
Bon voyage!!

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

cuttypatutty68 wrote:
Well we are in the 2013 now hopefully some of these changes have been to the betterment.I am going on the Divina April 11 from Miami to Bermuda staying in Bermuda two days I'm 71 and I go by myself I use electric wheelchair to get around,i'm just hoping and praying that this sh*t will be a good experience!I certainly will be back online to let everybody know how I did do and what I thought of the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't get breaking any speed limits... have a great time!

Regards

OL

Return to “MSC”