Pre Cruise stay.

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Pre Cruise stay.

Post by RB1961 »

For those of you who come down the night before I thought I would give you my 1st impression of The Hilton @ the Ageas bowl.

Easy to get to From the north.
Adequate parking although it was nearly full today as they had a wedding on..I assume it's worse if there is a cricket match on.
Room and bathroom spotless.
Main restaurant looked pricey so we ate in the bar at hotel prices. Food was good.
Wife happy so that always helps :lol:
All ok for now.

RB

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Pre Cruise stay.

Post by oldbluefox »

Must admit it's not one I had ever thought of but it certainly gets good reviews. Off on your cruise tomorrow and just as a bonus your lot won up in Geordieland. :thumbup: :wave:

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We are currently at the Premier Inn, West Quay because we booked late - I would NOT recommend it!
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

GillD46 wrote:
We are currently at the Premier Inn, West Quay because we booked late - I would NOT recommend it!
Never mind Gill, today you are boarding my favourite ship so lots to look forward to.
Bon Voyage :clap: :clap:
Jo

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

GillD46 wrote:
Must be honest Gill stayed there a couple of times and it is what it is a Premier Inn and bed for the night, but it is cheap and clean and not really had a problem. If we do stay there we go to Ennios to eat in the evening. Have a great cruise :)
Jenni

Topic author
RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 »

GillD46 wrote:
That's interesting Gill as they were full when we tried to book in June. That's why we ended up here.

Just had breakfast usual buffet affair. Check out is 11am

Over and out.

RB

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

We have used the Premier West Quay on three occasions and it has been more than adequate for the one night, clean rooms and friendly staff. They do a good meal deal which includes two course meal and a drink with buffet breakfast next morning, it is pub grub in the restaurant but if your going on a cruise you will have plenty of scope for fine dining.
The only problem is parking as there is only a drop of car park with 30 minute max. stay but that is plenty of time to check in and wheel your cases up to the room.West Quay car park is opposite with a charge of £5.00 for 24 hours which is less than some hotels charge.
I would be interested to know what you found wrong with the hotel Gill.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Interesting posts thanks. We have often used the other Southampton Hilton and have been more than happy with it but have considered the Ageas Bowl one as an alternative. Might give it a try.

We're also planning to use the Premier Inn in January 2017 when we do a 28 day out and back Caribbean Cruise. We plan to send most of the luggage by the Baggage Company, catch the train down with just a small case and use the Premier before our journey, and possibly on the way back too so we can plan our return journey with confidence. Our thinking was its easy access from the railway station and to the port, so the lack of parking won't be an issue.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We tend to alternate between Premier inn at the airport, or Holiday inn express off the M271, we need a good car park with accessible spaces so West Quay is not an option. Both offer fairly good clean accomodation and we have never had any problems.
We try to book a good rate flexible deal, and then keep checking for any cheap saver deals.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

towny44 wrote:
We tend to alternate between Premier inn at the airport, or Holiday inn express off the M271, we need a good car park with accessible spaces so West Quay is not an option. Both offer fairly good clean accomodation and we have never had any problems.
We try to book a good rate flexible deal, and then keep checking for any cheap saver deals.
John if you have a blue badge you can park in the car park at Premier West Quay they have disabled spaces but not general parking.
I have always found a parking space on the lowest level at the West Quay car park and you just come out of the side entrance straight into the Premier hotel about 3 minutes walk.

Ian Perth
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Ian Perth »

We've stayed at the premier inn west quey a number of times and found it to be good. The parking next door is great, five pounds overnight, the rooms are always clean, and the food is pub food but alright for what you pay. For the money you pay you can't expect it to be on a par with some of the other hotels in the centre. We would recommend it for anyone wanting a nights stay before cruising.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We often stay at Ibis down in Southampton and have always been happy there. The rooms are clean and comfortable and for us perfectly adequate for an overnight stay and close to the dock gates. Parking is about £5 and we have never had any problems. Sometimes we have stayed at the Travelodge in Eastleigh which was cheap and cheerful (depending on when you are travelling) and after a long drive down gave us a clean bed and a hot bath at a reasonable price, and a Harvester pub next door. To be honest, after a long day we just feel like going not very far and relaxing so I'm not sure how much we would appreciate a top end hotel. We did try the Premier Inn at Andover but were not impressed with this particular one nor with Andover itself. Not the best and not worth the detour, for us.
The Hilton @ Ageas does look very nice though.
I do wonder what the Eastleigh Travelodge is like since Travelodge's announced refurbishments.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

For those of you who may prefer something a tad more upmarket then consider, perhaps, the Three Lions at Stuckton, nr Fordingbridge ... tis just off the A338 and approx 30 mins from Southampton.

The Three Lions
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Interesting topic. We always tend to stay in much the same places partly because we have been satisfied there in the past. However it's good to hear what others do and to share experiences. It gives scope for trying something different in the future. It's also invaluable for those of us who live a long way away from Southampton to hear recommendations from the locals or the more experienced cruisers.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Raybosailor wrote:
towny44 wrote:
John if you have a blue badge you can park in the car park at Premier West Quay they have disabled spaces but not general parking.
I have always found a parking space on the lowest level at the West Quay car park and you just come out of the side entrance straight into the Premier hotel about 3 minutes walk.
Would require 2 or 3 treks with the cases though Raybo, as my DW would not sleep if we left them in the car overnight.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

We have stayed in Premier West Quay, the Ibis, Mercure Dolphin and in May pre our cruise on Azura we stayed at the new Travelodge West Quay.
Our preference is the Premier due to its location, meal deal and ease of getting luggage from the car to the room.
The Travelodge West Quay has limited under hotel parking which is free but you have to arrive early to get a parking place, we were lucky in May as we arrived early and the car park was empty. They would not let us check in until 14.00 but we left the car in the car park and had a drink while we waited, when we had checked in we went to fetch the luggage up to the room and the car park was jam full.
Owing to the cruise being delayed we had to spend a further two nights in the Travelodge so it was handy having the car parked up for three days and for free. The downside to this hotel is the rooms are a little basic and the buffet breakfast was not up to the standard of the Premier but we would stay here again if the Premier was full.
We stayed at the Ibis in June pre our ships visit on Britannia and it was ample for a one night stay but breakfast again was disappointing and the car park was full when we arrived, we parked in the retail park for a while where we could see a couple of cars leaving so we drove over quickly. Parking at this hotel was £6 in June so it must have gone up after Foxy's visit.
Mercure Dolphin I wouldn't use again simply because I had a bad experience in the restaurant but I have a food allergy so others might like the place, parking was a problem here too.

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

towny44 wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
towny44 wrote:
Would require 2 or 3 treks with the cases though Raybo, as my DW would not sleep if we left them in the car overnight.
No John, you pull up in the temporary car park at the hotel through one door and into the lifts with luggage you have 30 minutes to do this then drive across to the West Quay car park, you wont even get out of first gear to the entrance then you simply walk back to hotel with just the car keys to carry.

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Pre Ferry/Cruise stay.

Post by Raybosailor »

Not so much a pre cruise stay more a pre ferry stay, we are going to France on the 7th. November via the Newhaven to Dieppe Ferry, we usually use the Dover to Calais ferry but we want to avoid the migrant situation.
Has anyone on this forum used the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry ?, we are also planning to stay the previous night at the nearby Premier Inn which is about half a mile from the terminal.
Information on either the ferry or hotel would be gratefully received.
Ray

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

We stayed at the De Vere when we did our USA cruise - definitely didn't want to be late for that! - we had a cruise package and it was a really good deal - inclusive of parking for 24 days - dinner, bed and breakfast, dedicated lounge in the morning for drinks and lunch - taxi both ways to terminal and 2 bottles of wine on arrival in your room.
Would definitely book this again if going on a long cruise - the only downside was no air conditioning in bedroom so quite hot at night. I know this hotel has been upgraded recently so would be good to know if the air con has been piped to bedrooms?
The food was very good and breakfast ok.

I have never found a hotel breakfast that serves it buffet style to be that good - there always seems to be one element that has sat there too long!

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

We stayed at the Grand Harbour last December Tinker after the upgrade and our room definitely had aircon so I assume they all have now, not that we needed it in December !!

We have booked the cruise package for our next cruise so it's interesting to hear a taxi is booked to/from the port, I was under the impression they used their own mini bus for transport although this is only what I've observed when staying there as we usually park at the port so I've never had reason to find out, we had more or less decided we would just book our own taxi anyway rather than hang around but confirmation would be good.
Jo

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

The Tinker wrote:
We stayed at the De Vere when we did our USA cruise - definitely didn't want to be late for that! - we had a cruise package and it was a really good deal - inclusive of parking for 24 days - dinner, bed and breakfast, dedicated lounge in the morning for drinks and lunch - taxi both ways to terminal and 2 bottles of wine on arrival in your room.
Would definitely book this again if going on a long cruise - the only downside was no air conditioning in bedroom so quite hot at night. I know this hotel has been upgraded recently so would be good to know if the air con has been piped to bedrooms?
The food was very good and breakfast ok.

I have never found a hotel breakfast that serves it buffet style to be that good - there always seems to be one element that has sat there too long!
Interesting post Tinker, I contacted the GH for a quote regarding a 14 night cruise based on the Ultimate package and it seems a good deal when you cost out each element. I suppose it all depends on whether P&O are offering free parking and what that equates to in OBC if you go down that route. The cruise Lounge can be booked without staying at the GH at a cost of £39 but to be honest I can stay in my room at Premier WQ until 12:00 and by that time I will be wanting to load up for the trip to the terminal.
Definitely worth a look at the package though thanks.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Back from what has to have been the most disasterous holiday ever. Nobody's fault - although the Premier Inn was so noisy and I hardly slept all night, so we got a refund! That was decent of them, but we shan't be booking there again.
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I'm sure you would have been at the GH ( which I know is your preference Gill ) had they had availability for your dates, always a problem when you book something late.

Sorry to hear you didn't have a good cruise, hope everything is ok with you.
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Picked up a particularly nasty bug, but QE was wonderful - as always.
Gill

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We generally stay at The Elizabeth House Hotel which also offers cruise parking although the taxi to the port is at your own expense.
We cruise on Sunday on the Arcadia and were p,an in a weekend at our sons in Devon then drive to the port Sunday morning. Unfortunately we have had to cancel the Devon trip at the last minute and have been looking for a hotel in or around SH as the Elizabeth house was fully booked. Everywhere we tried was fully booked or horrendously expensive because of the boat show and also because of Freshers week.

Eventually last night we managed to secure a room at the Macdonald Bottley Park hotel. Nearly twice as much as the Elizabeth House but worth it for peace of mind. Just hope it's okay as very mixed reviews on the forums. We are not doing the cruise package as we have parking booked with CPS courtesy of P & O.

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”