2015: where are we all headed ?

Any general cruise line chat

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: 2015: where are we all headed ?

Post by Kendhni »

4 weeks in the Caribbean, a long weekend in Dublin, a week somewhere else (yet to be decided) and several weeks travelling around America (mostly business).

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We're off for a couple of nights in the Cotswolds in February - a Christmas/Birthday present from my husband, and we're going on his birthday so that will be fun. Then we're off to the Canaries on Oceana in March - hopefully for some sun but the only other time we've been, and that was to Grand Canaria for a week one January, it poured for quite a lot of the week we were there.

We've booked a Great Rail Company trip to Lake Como for September. It sounds similar to Delboy's account of his trip but he went by coach. We go by Eurostar from London to Paris, one night in Paris then on by train, changing in Zurich I think, to Lake Como where we stay for 7 nights. We've upgraded the room in the hotel so we have a lake view which everyone says is worth it. Then there are various trips while we are there, including one on the little train into Switzerland. Then we have one night in Stuttgart on the way home. It sounds a bit like a cruise but not on a ship, if you see what I mean. There will be around 34 of us apparently. There is also a service whereby you can send your luggage on a few days ahead and it's delivered straight to the hotel in Lake Como so no struggling on and off trains with cases. You also leave your luggage behind and then it's sent on to you at home - the company has good reviews so hopefully all will be well.

I'd like to get another cruise in but if we do it will be a late booking one - will have to see what comes up and if I can persuade John to do it!

Carole

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

We've got the Britannia maiden in March, which goes to the Western Med.

Then in early September, we're going on a short cruise to Amsterdam and Antwerp. We're going on Cruise and Maritime's new ship, Magellen, departing from Tilbury. This will be a new experience for us.

We have no other plans to go away next year. As we are newly (early) retired, we just want to get used to our new life, where we hope every day will be a holiday!
Gill

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

After two years of only travelling Cunard {apart from a PO party cruise in August 2014} and enjoying it very much, we have decided to have a change and are now booked on two PO cruises for 2015 . One in April to Iberia and a second 17 day Central Med later in the year.

This did mean swopping an already booked Cunard cruise to a PO one. For anyone who doesn't know, it is possible to interchange cruises between Cunard and PO but only these two . Not possible with the other Carnival ones as far as I am aware.

Anyway it was very easy to do and the original one with Cunard was cancelled off and the new one with PO booked . The total deposit paid to Cunard was passed over to PO.I didn't have to pay an admin charge either.

There are a few rules and regs governing this procedure . Changes cannot be made if the final balance for original cruise has already been paid and the new cruise must be equal to or higher in price than the original.

Anne

Loiner
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Loiner »

For us this year, we have booked a 4 night break in a Log Cabin for my birthday at the end of January. Ribblesdale Lodges in Gisburn, a beautiful part of The Yorkshire Dales.
A week on Britannia in May during the school holidays.
2 nights camping for the Moto GP for OH's birthday.
1 night in Manchester when we go to see the fantastic Neil Diamond. He has since announced another show in my home town but my hubby had already bought me tickets for the Manchester show.

Janine

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Loiner wrote:
Ribblesdale Lodges in Gisburn, a beautiful part of The Yorkshire Dales
When did they move Gisburn? Last time I looked it was in Lancashire

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote:
Loiner wrote:
Ribblesdale Lodges in Gisburn, a beautiful part of The Yorkshire Dales
When did they move Gisburn? Last time I looked it was in Lancashire
I have a sneaky feeling they are trying to get themselves incorporated into the Yorkshire Dales national park, since they recognise this has more kudos than being in Lancashire. :lol: :clap: :thumbup:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Loiner
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Loiner »

Haha David you are quite correct, but if you go on the hosesons website and search for Yorkshire Holidays then Ribblesdale lodges in Gisburn comes up in that section. Apparently it is on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales but I will stand corrected. Don''t Really care where it is. I know it's a lovely place. We went 2 years ago and loved every minute of it. Hot tub, peace and quiet and a glass or 2 of red wine is better than work any day.
Janine

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Loiner wrote:
I know it's a lovely place
Of course it is a lovely place as it is in Lancashire :thumbup: - not Yorkshire :thumbdown:

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Our son is getting married in Cyprus in April so we will be spending two weeks in Paphos, back for two weeks then two weeks on Azura A510N to the Med. A couple of weeks with grandkids in August and a week or two in our beloved Mijas Costa in Oct/Nov. Haven't sorted Christmas out yet.

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

As hubby has started his new job, we are limited about how long we can go away for.
We have a weekend in Newcastle booked... Now I know we live only a few miles away, but we never go and enjoy the city..it has so much to offer. So we are doing a city break there. A weekend in Windsor. A weekend in the Lakes.
5 days in Butlins...in Whit week.. just hubby and me, with our 3 eldest grandsons, ages 5, 5 and 7. Should be fun.. :crazy:
2 more weekends away, yet to be decided where.

A week in a little family run place in Turkey in late June.
Then a week in Tenerife..in september.
Another week somewhere if we can....
In between all this having lots of big jobs done around the house.
Counting down to retirement,(51 months now) so getting all big jobs done.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I said in December that we were off to a land based holiday in Italy in September - travelling with Great Rail Company. Well we still are, I think. We are due to return on September 28th. A few weeks ago our younger daughter announced she was having a baby - due date - yes, September 28th! She is insistent we don't cancel the holiday. We can't make it earlier for various reasons - we have a family wedding the week before we're due to go - can't go in August as our other daughter and son-in-law are away then and with a family business my husband needs to be there and also I wouldn't want to go to Italy in August - much too hot. My daughter says that anyway the baby will probably be late and then we would have altered our trip for no reason.
We don't have to pay the balance until July so can see how things are then - but what a coincidence!

Carole

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Three night cruise with a couple of friends.
A week in North Devon.

After that, who knows. Maybe another cheeky cheapo cruise before the end of the year. Our friends are good at tracking down the late deals. :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 03 Mar 2015, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Round Britain in August and then the Caribbean at Christmas but, having seen the piccys of Britannia, we are looking at a short cruise on her as well to see for ourselves

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

CaroleF wrote:
I said in December that we were off to a land based holiday in Italy in September - travelling with Great Rail Company. Well we still are, I think. We are due to return on September 28th. A few weeks ago our younger daughter announced she was having a baby - due date - yes, September 28th! She is insistent we don't cancel the holiday. We can't make it earlier for various reasons - we have a family wedding the week before we're due to go - can't go in August as our other daughter and son-in-law are away then and with a family business my husband needs to be there and also I wouldn't want to go to Italy in August - much too hot. My daughter says that anyway the baby will probably be late and then we would have altered our trip for no reason.
We don't have to pay the balance until July so can see how things are then - but what a coincidence!

Carole
Thats a hard call Carole. We had to cancel our last two cruises due to expectant daughter.
I must admit I was looking forward to you letting us know how your trip went, I have been looking at them too. I really fancy doing one.
Hope things get sorted one way or another for you.
xx

DANSCOMBE6158
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by DANSCOMBE6158 »

Oriana solar eclipse and northern lights 17th March 2015 2 weeks to go x

Diane

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We're off on the Ventura in May,then 3 holiday cottages in Scotland & England for a week at a time in June, July & September which we take our dog with us that's the reason for going ;) and finally 14 days in Guatemala to visit our Daughter shall be lovely to see her but not looking forward to the flights!!!

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Meg 50 wrote:
we are doing a short break in Chester in Feb, and 3 weeks in Ireland in the summer (must sort out holiday ins for that one - even though we're taking our own car - our bank account no longer has it as standard)

Done Chester; still haven't sorted out travel ins, but am about to start researching in earnest for Ireland.

My globetrotting JD is off to Basel for a couple of days and then Myanmar next month - then Patagonia later in the year. Looking forward to her blogs
Meg
x

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Our daughters read her blog Meg and they are presently in India, and I have read ALL her blogs!

Maybe she should write a book.

frintonite
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by frintonite »

Off up to the Arctic in a couple of weeks for the solar eclipse, then next month Azura to the canaries, then a quick week on Britannia in May, then after that, its in the lap of the gods, or my haematologist
AKA Ray & Sue

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

wolfie wrote:
Our daughters read her blog Meg and they are presently in India, and I have read ALL her blogs!

Maybe she should write a book.

she has, but only one copy!
Meg
x

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

I suppose that you have the first, and only, edition! Make sure it's signed or it will be worthless in years to come. ;)

Publish and be damned, as they say!

On second thoughts, not everything on the www should be converted into print. :?: There is a great deal of dross out there. :crazy:

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Hi Sue,

Yes we're looking forward to the Italian trip - the Great Rail Company do seem to have some very interesting tours. As the moment we are going ahead with the holiday. Spoke to my daughter yesterday and all is well. So unless by July, the date for the final payment, the dates have altered dramatically we will probably go ahead. I think I'll be more use after the event - my daughter will have her partner and my other daughter there - will just have to make sure my mobile is fully charged!

Carole

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

We've just had a day in London doing the "Shaun the Sheep Trail", which was great fun, followed by a day's raid on the hypermarket in Boulogne. Nothing else planned until we go to New York in October, staying a week in Brooklyn before sailing back in "our" cabin on the QM2.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Cyprus - tomorrow :wave: :wave: :wave:

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”