Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Such a shame

Post by barney »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36245284

I hope that they recover enough to enjoy what's left of their holiday.
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Such a shame

Post by oldbluefox »

I feel extremely sorry for them and until everybody takes responsibility for their own actions norovirus will continue to spread. It's not only their own health to protect but the health of all other poor innocents they are passing it onto. Some peoples habits leave a great deal to be desired.
Just let me see a walking stick lying on a table or somebody operating a lift button by pushing it with the end of their walking stick and I'll have something to say!! Don't these people think what they are doing and they'll probably be the first to criticise the cruise line when they themselves are struck down. It's not the fact norovirus exists on cruise ships and hospitals. What is more amazing is that there isn't more of it about.
Good luck to all those onboard Balmoral, crew included.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Now the wailing and gnashing of teeth, along with demands for compo, will begin. I see the BBC is aiming to whip up a storm with an email address for passengers to submit their horror stories.

Yes, it's awful and one feels for the passengers affected. As usual the numbers are, however, telling.

"As well as the 252 passengers, eight of the 520 crew have also contracted the illness, the CDC said."

So that's 27% of passengers and 1.5% of the crew. And bear in mind it is the crew who have to do the clearing up after the sick passengers, so why are they less affected? Are they made of sterner stuff? Or is it that while passengers can be politely asked to wash hands, use gel, declare illness promptly etc. with no penalties for non-compliance, crew can be ordered to do so and be fired if they don't.

And only 15 passengers confined to their cabins? Why not 252? Or indeed 504 with travelling companions confined as a precaution. Presumably because they'd moan about their lives being ruined and would rather pass it on!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

oldbluefox wrote:
I feel extremely sorry for them and until everybody takes responsibility for their own actions norovirus will continue to spread. It's not only their own health to protect but the health of all other poor innocents they are passing it onto. Some peoples habits leave a great deal to be desired.
Just let me see a walking stick lying on a table or somebody operating a lift button by pushing it with the end of their walking stick and I'll have something to say!! Don't these people think what they are doing and they'll probably be the first to criticise the cruise line when they themselves are struck down. It's not the fact norovirus exists on cruise ships and hospitals. What is more amazing is that there isn't more of it about.
Good luck to all those onboard Balmoral, crew included.
I have lost count of the bad habits that I have witnessed. People licking their fingers before picking up the morning crosswords for one.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Well l've said this before, but just in case you missed it the first time it is my opinion that the source of Noro Virus comes from somewhere below the lowest passenger deck....tin hat ready ....squeak! squeak!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Onelife wrote:
Well l've said this before, but just in case you missed it the first time it is my opinion that the source of Noro Virus comes from somewhere below the lowest passenger deck....tin hat ready ....squeak! squeak!
On what do you base that assertion?

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Onelife wrote:
The statistics indicate that it must originate amongst the passengers.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Surely its origins are from a mixture of both passengers and crew? Impossible to quantify blame apportioned to one or the other. The passengers tend to be of more mature years, many of whom will have impaired immune systems. The crew are mainly young and quite capable of harbouring a virus without presenting any symptoms. Added to that, we don't know what pressure there is on the crew to return to work before they should.

Both my parents were medical scientists. Their view, based on the evidence available when they were working until the early 1990s, was that staff on ships, retirement homes, hotels, and restaurants, posed a significant risk; for all I know, that view is now outdated. Does anyone have any more recent research?

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

anniec wrote:
Surely its origins are from a mixture of both passengers and crew? Impossible to quantify blame apportioned to one or the other. The passengers tend to be of more mature years, many of whom will have impaired immune systems. The crew are mainly young and quite capable of harbouring a virus without presenting any symptoms. Added to that, we don't know what pressure there is on the crew to return to work before they should.

Both my parents were medical scientists. Their view, based on the evidence available when they were working until the early 1990s, was that staff on ships, retirement homes, hotels, and restaurants, posed a significant risk; for all I know, that view is now outdated. Does anyone have any more recent research?
The figures above should be enough: 252 passengers and 8 crew or 27% and 1.5% respectively.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

david63 wrote:
Onelife wrote:
On what do you base that assertion?
Hi David...my assertion is that it only takes one person to pass on the norovirus and due to the often cramped living arrangements, communal use of the toilet/wash facitites, exhausted staff with strict timetables that must be adhered to then it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that this living/ working environment could be the source of many of the outbreaks of the dreaded NV.

What you can be sure about is that if it were the case that it was a member of staff who came down with it "first" we'll never get to hear about it.

Regards

Keith

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

If you are right OL it would be rife among the crew. But in fact only 1.5% of crew got it. 27% of passengers. i.e. despite all the odds the spread among passengers was much greater. Since they all have access to en suite facilities that says to me they were less careful, particularly with regard to passing it to others.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
If you are right OL it would be rife among the crew. But in fact only 1.5% of crew got it. 27% of passengers. i.e. despite all the odds the spread among passengers was much greater. Since they all have access to en suite facilities that says to me they were less careful, particularly with regard to passing it to others.

....or it could be that one infected cabin steward using the same cloth/duster to wipe the surfaces, cups etc of 16 cabins?

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

anniec wrote:

I can assure you that there is NO way of hiding a case of true NV, not even for the youngest and strongest. Your only thought is how near, to put it bluntly, a sink and toilet are to each other.

I have been on ships quite few times where it was prevalent but thankfully never succumbed to it. The one time that I did contract NV was after spending an overnight in A&E with my OH. I was to and fro to various places, opening doors, visiting toilets, getting snacks form a vending machine.,etc. Thankfully he was confined to a trolley and did not contract it as it could have been very serious if he had, and that was not due to an impaired immune system. :roll:

It was one of the worst and most violent, and incapacitating, for days afterwards, illnesses I have ever experienced but thankfully short lived, and that includes feeling poorly after various operations over many years.

The media over sensationalise such events. As you said, NV occurs in any enclosed area; offices, hospitals, schools, as well as cruise ships, but it is only the latter that ever make the headlines.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

wolfie wrote:

The media over sensationalise such events. As you said, NV occurs in any enclosed area; offices, hospitals, schools, as well as cruise ships, but it is only the latter that ever make the headlines.
making the headlines because the others aren't closed communities - and therefore the blame can't be instantly laid at the door of the facility.
Meg
x

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

They are all communities where people live in close proximity, ideal conditions for Noro to spread. None, including cruise ships, are truly closed communities. People come and go from cruise ships at every port of call, risking bringing the virus aboard again even if it has been eliminated on the ship.

The reason cruise ships hit the news is they are an easy target for ill informed journalists, and passengers willing to stand in front of a camera to moan are easy to find.

A few years ago the BBC itself was hit by a large outbreak, as was one of the Royal palaces. Did either make the news? No.

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”