Children taken out of School.

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Children taken out of School.

Post by screwy »

Hi All, with the news that a Father has won the right to take his child out of school to take on holiday, does this now open the floodgates to be swamped by children anytime of the year..?
Mel

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Children taken out of School.

Post by Jan Rosser »

Won't make any difference to my son and family unless the schools allow the teachers to have term time off too :sarcasm:
Janis

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Now we all know that wont happen dont we..!!
Looks like it's Adult only from now on..
Mel

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I understood from a teacher friend of ours that the DfE brought in the current ruless on children taking holidays in term time as a politically correct way of clamping down on Asian families without being seen to single them out. Personally I have no problems with the old system of head teachers being allowed discretion, as long they do it fairly, and I don't think childrens education suffers if families do not abuse the priviledge.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote:
... if families do not abuse the priviledge
And therein lies the crux of the problem.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I was always very glad when some of them did go on holiday, the longer the better.

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

oldbluefox wrote:
I was always very glad when some of them did go on holiday, the longer the better.
Now OBF, are we talkng teachers or children...?
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The problem lies with the holiday companies ripping of the public at school and bank holiday times throughout the year.

And no we don't have any children, but I can sympathise with them.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Well done that man, common sense rules / rulings should apply :clap:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I can understand the problem, especially for those parents who have no flexibility in their holiday arrangements but when OFSTED are focusing on schools' attendance as part of the inspection process and raising the issue in their reports I fear schools are fighting with one hand behind their backs.
You also have the problem of those 'responsible' parents who give their children a day off for birthdays, to go and visit grandad, to buy a new pair of shoes, a check-up at the dentist etc. For many parents education has a low priority until their little darlings fail to achieve and then it is the school's fault!!!
This ruling will give the green light to many whose children need all the time they can muster in school.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote:
The problem lies with the holiday companies ripping of the public at school and bank holiday times throughout the year.

Its all down to supply and demand Stephen, no good blaming holiday companies for doing what all companies should be doing for their shareholders, maximise earnings and profits.
John

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

not sure it'll make any difference - things will just return to the way it used to be when most people abided by the rule and didn't take out their children in term time
Meg
x

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

For primery school children only....

Shorten the summer holiday by let's say 10 days and make the ten days holiday flexible apart from any month leading up to an exam. Failure to observe incurre a 1k fine.

Secondary school children should be in school getting an education with the flexibility of being able to take their ten days directly after exams should their school term allow for this....

The law will be changed as you can't have parents taking their kids out of school as and when they please.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Do not like the idea of any "laws" to ensure good parenting. Surely it would be better to go back to the decision being left to the headteacher, who should take into account the child's attendance record and his behaviour and learning attainment.
If this was made standard and the expectations of the school in relation to allowing authorised absence were well publicised , not only would it help parents to seek out lower priced holidays, but it should encourage parents to ensure their children were better behaved had better attendance records and tried harder in class.
In my view a win - win, and a lowering of friction between teachers and parents.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Children taken out of School

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Its all down to supply and demand Stephen, no good blaming holiday companies for doing what all companies should be doing for their shareholders, maximise earnings and profits.

Fair comment.

Supply and demand yes, but on a first come first serve basis like any other time of the year at a fair price not because the travel industry knows they have you over a barrel because of school holidays and pretty well charge what they like because they know people will have little option but to pay the hiked up price.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Children taken out of School

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote:
towny44 wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Fair comment.

Supply and demand yes, but on a first come first serve basis like any other time of the year at a fair price not because the travel industry knows they have you over a barrel because of school holidays and pretty well charge what they like because they know people will have little option but to pay the hiked up price.
Somehow I don't think you have grasped the fundamentals of holiday pricing, high season=high demand=high prices, simples.......
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I have no ellusions about high season holiday pricing thank you. I just feel it is unfair that prices are hiked up the same weeks as the school holiday/half term weeks, but perhaps my idea of a fairer society is different from yours.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I think there is a lot of sense behind the idea of staggering school holidays by region/county this would make the foreign holiday market more competitive and leave Johnny foreigner having to adjust their prices accordingly.

Same would apply to the UK holiday market.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Onelife wrote:
I think there is a lot of sense behind the idea of staggering school holidays by region/county this would make the foreign holiday market more competitive and leave Johnny foreigner having to adjust their prices accordingly.

It's such a sensible idea that it's bound to be rejected. The Netherlands stagger their summer holidays into three periods by region, top, middle and bottom and the allocation rotates through the years. We have learnt to arrange our caravan holidays to the Mediterranean so as to avoid the first arrival of the Dutch.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Onelife wrote:

all very well in theory, but if families have children in different schools in neighbouring authorities ( or the parents teach in etc etc) it can be a nightmare
Meg
x

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

when we were bound by school holiday dates we researched carefully and discovered that the last week of the hols tended to be cheaper - we had some very good deals on the last week of August/ first few days of September
Meg
x

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Meg 50 wrote:
Onelife wrote:

all very well in theory, but if families have children in different schools in neighbouring authorities ( or the parents teach in etc etc) it can be a nightmare
This Easter was a nightmare Meg - the holidays spread over three weeks - my son and wife teach in the same school but my granddaughters are in different schools under different education authorities and the only time the four of them were together was Good Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Easter Monday :roll: The only bonus was I had the girls for a week all to myself when their parents went back to school - we had a fab time :thumbup:
Janis

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I advocate the five term year which would create more flexibility in holiday arrangements although I expect holiday companies, ferry operators etc would probably respond accordingly.
Unfortunately there is no simple solution. I see the problem from both sides.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Even when money was very tight, we always paid the higher prices for holidays because we considered our kids' education to be more important than saving a few quid.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

The Scottish schools have different holidays to those locally. so we could save money by flying from Abbotsinch or Turnhouse when our schools were on holiday and theirs weren't, as these airports were no further away from us than Ringway.

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”