Packing - love it or loathe it?

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Packing - love it or loathe it?

Post by oldbluefox »

I come into the loathe it camp. SWMBO makes numerous detailed lists but I tend to make it up as I go along. All those decisions - which shoes, how many, which shirts, which trousers etc etc. Then we have to fit everything into the right sized suitcase- too big and there's spaces, too small and it doesn't all go in. What have I forgotten? How many duplicates? Glad when it's all in for good or for ill and we're on the way.
How about you?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Packing - love it or loathe it?

Post by Stephen »

My wife loathes it :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I hate it. Fortunately Trish does the actual packing bit as we mix our stuff between cases just in case one gets lost. So I only have to sort out my stuff for packing.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I don't mind it TOO much for going away when I have to pack for both of us. However, I detest it for coming back home, when I allow Tony to pack his things. Unfortunately as he packs in one pile in the middle of each case, I then have to unpack it all and do it myself!
Gill

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

I love it now, as it's all done waiting to be picked up tomorrow.

Locked....Strapped ....... & Labled.

8-) 8-) 8-)

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

I enjoy packing, but hate unpacking
Meg
x

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

I am worse than any lady for packing too much, and although I know it sounds big headed I am actually quite good at it. At sea, it was pack or you dont go home. I dont think anyone can honestly say they enjoy it, and the day before disembarkation is always very flat with P&O.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Yes that last day is a lost day

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

As, in my working life, I spent a lot of time "on the road" I am quite used to packing unlike Mrs 63 who is totally useless - on this cuise I was even allowed to "advise" on her packing.

One thing that we learnt from when we went to India and were on the move for five weeks is the advantage of packing cubes - or in my case [hic] nylon washing bags. You put whatever in the cube/bag and then put the cubes/bag in the case - packing the case literally took 10 minutes, and unpacking is just as easy - take the cube/bag out of the case and put it on a shelf/drawer/cupboard. The other thing for ease of unpacking is to have as much as possible on hangers.

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

My wife loves packing for holidays in fact we have been packing today as we leave for Italy at the weekend and for once I am all packed and ready to go.
All I've got to do now is get rid of this cold, I haven't had so much as a sniffle for over six years now but someone has dumped their germs on me over the weekend.

When it comes to packing I am a list man, I have different lists on my phone one for foreign travel, one for UK travel, one for weekends and another for an overnight stay. Oh I forgot and one huge one for cruises which is my own version of the one I copied from the forum.

I am pretty regimented in everything I do and will plan things out on paper no matter what the task is and although I am the subject of the family's amusement they know they can rely on the old man having everything on his list. Trouble is these days my problem lies in remembering to check the list.

I agree with David regarding his cube system I do something similar myself and I always stuff my socks into my shoes, it helps keep shoes in shape and saves space.
Another thing we do is we both have a strong see through bag that we put loose change, wallet/purse, car keys and phone into before going through security, it makes life so much easier and I wish everyone did it.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

My wife gets all her stuff out and piles it on a spare bed but if she puts in in a suitcase, most of it gets folded too often and put in piles, so I do it. I think this may be a cunning plan on her part!

The bit I really dislike is fastening all the buttons on my shirts before packing them (like David, in "cubes") so that they fold properly. For three weeks, probably 15/20 shirts x 7 or 8 buttons per shirt. Hate it! Coming home is much easier, just chuck 'em in.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I just get out what I want to take and Mrs S packs it. I thought that was what wife's were for :o :D

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I do all of the ironing so l'm certainly not doing the packing as well....less of course she tells me too...squeak! squeak!

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

I'm starting to pack for our cruise on the 3rd. Cant understand how people can loathe packing - all part of the anticipation of the holiday!

Packing to come home not so good but there are no major decisions to make as its all got to be stuffed back into the cases!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I'm a last minute.com packer and always forget something.

I reckon I can pack in about 20 minutes.

It's easy, just open the case and put it in, then shut case.

Mrs barney has it down to an art form.
Empty vessels .. and all that

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

barney wrote:
I'm a last minute.com packer and always forget something.

I reckon I can pack in about 20 minutes.

It's easy, just open the case and put it in, then shut case.

Mrs barney has it down to an art form.
But for us it isn't just open the CASE. It's open ALL the CASES. We take at least five. Packing takes a bit of time.
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We usually have to get the plumber round when we pack to disconnect the kitchen sink :!: :)

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote:
We usually have to get the plumber round when we pack to disconnect the kitchen sink :!: :)
With modern plumbing fittings you can disconnect it in 30 seconds :lol: :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We keep a spare ready to pack.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The case keys, converters, chargers and all the other umpteen holiday bibs n bobs are housed in drawers on one side of the dressing table in one of the guest's cabins. Simple therefore to sort out those that are required for any particular holiday. I sort out what I want to wear and hang it on or place it under a moveable clothes rail, then I change a few things, like shirts and leave them there. Several days later I tit about with it again until I am satisfied with my ' collection de la mode '. It stays put until the last few days prior to departure. I am now out of the way so Mobietta packs hers in about an hour having organised her stuff in one of the wardrobes that I am banned from.

Works for us. :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

We always do our own packing - anything else would rapidly end in murder being committed ! Mrs C starts getting (far too much) stuff out weeks in advance and I start mine around 6 pm on the day before we depart.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

That wouldn't work for us. For a typical fly holiday with two cases Trish gets 1.5 cases and I get the other 0.5.

On a cruise with maybe 4 cases the same share out applies. I still get 0.5.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
That wouldn't work for us. For a typical fly holiday with two cases Trish gets 1.5 cases and I get the other 0.5.

Can't see what the problem is. More than enough space for your mankini.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:

Haven't flown for years - too much bloody hassle! For a cruise, we will usually take 6 assorted bags (for Mrs C) and the Sainsbury's carrier for me !!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Agree about flying :thumbdown:

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”