Beach house, Ventura.

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Beach house, Ventura.

Post by screwy »

Am I correct in thinking that you can still use the Buffet in an evening or is it all chargeable..?
Mel

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beach house, Ventura.

Post by david63 »

I am assuming that it works the same as Azura where half the buffet is the buffet and the other half is the Beach House.

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

The Beach House only takes up about a quarter of the self service area and is chargeable. The normal buffet is still open with no charge.
Brian

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Thanks, looking at Venturas deck plan it seems that the Evening ( chargeable ) side is Starboard.
Mel

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

screwy wrote: 14 Sep 2017, 16:50
Thanks, looking at Venturas deck plan it seems that the Evening ( chargeable ) side is Starboard.
Correct.
Beach House menus

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resource ... menu_1.pdf

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resource ... menu_2.pdf

Brian

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We have eaten at the beach house twice, on two different ships. OK, but wouldn't rush back.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I've never been able to bring myself to eat at a Beach House. Apart from the menus not being particularly inspiring for me, it still feels too much like the buffet, even when dressed up

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 12:12
I've never been able to bring myself to eat at a Beach House. Apart from the menus not being particularly inspiring for me, it still feels too much like the buffet, even when dressed up
Perhaps it depends on the ship.

We never thought that it felt like the buffet when we tried it on Azura - otherwise I doubt that we would have gone back. Having said that we only used it because we were on Freedom dining and we did not like the MDR - I doubt that we would use it if we were on Club dining.

As for menu we found the food quite good but, as you say, it is all down to personal preference.
Last edited by david63 on 15 Sep 2017, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

qbman1 wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 12:12
Choose a warm night, when you can dine outside under the stars
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Be a bit parky off Oslo in December !

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Wimp .

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

qbman1 wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 13:11
Be a bit parky off Oslo in December !
Put your thermal underwear on, you'll be fine!
Gill

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We have used the Beach House and Glass House on previous cruise and enjoyed both. In fact we are intending to use both on our next Ventura cruise on the 1st October
I did notice that the Beach House has had an increase from £5pp to £7pp actually it maybe 7.50pp!

RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 »

Our 1st freedom dining cruise was on Ventura and we used it 5 times over the 14 nights.
Didn't have a bad meal and only had to have a bleeper once.
Try it if you don't like it don't go again.

RB

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Happydays wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 14:23
We have used the Beach House and Glass House on previous cruise and enjoyed both. In fact we are intending to use both on our next Ventura cruise on the 1st October
I did notice that the Beach House has had an increase from £5pp to £7pp actually it maybe 7.50pp!
We love the glass house. Always great food and wine.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

My husband has got a 'thing' about the Glasshouse, don't know why. We first encountered it on Azura, not long after she was launched I think and he just didn't like the look of it - maybe it had something to do with the orange covered seats, which I can't say I liked. We had a lunch time meal there and we were practically the only people there - his opinion - It'll never be successful! Well I've told him how much many people like it but can't convince him. He did enjoy the Tasting Menu we had there - where they pair the food with wines and have done that twice. When we were on Aurora last December we again had lunch in there - don't like where the Glasshouse is on Aurora with people walking past and again there was us and one other couple, so no atmosphere. Well we are on Aurora again in January, this time for 65 nights so will try again. Hopefully with so many sea days it will be a popular venue so maybe there will be a better atmosphere and John will be willing to give it another go. I said we should try it in an evening to have a proper meal, rather than the three bites or whatever they call them which is all we've had before.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Stephen wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 08:28
Happydays wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 14:23
We love the glass house. Always great food and wine.
Yep, the Glass House is my very favourite too

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

CaroleF wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 11:09
My husband has got a 'thing' about the Glasshouse, don't know why. We first encountered it on Azura, not long after she was launched I think and he just didn't like the look of it - maybe it had something to do with the orange covered seats, which I can't say I liked. We had a lunch time meal there and we were practically the only people there - his opinion - It'll never be successful! Well I've told him how much many people like it but can't convince him. He did enjoy the Tasting Menu we had there - where they pair the food with wines and have done that twice. When we were on Aurora last December we again had lunch in there - don't like where the Glasshouse is on Aurora with people walking past and again there was us and one other couple, so no atmosphere. Well we are on Aurora again in January, this time for 65 nights so will try again. Hopefully with so many sea days it will be a popular venue so maybe there will be a better atmosphere and John will be willing to give it another go. I said we should try it in an evening to have a proper meal, rather than the three bites or whatever they call them which is all we've had before.
We were on Aurora for two segments of the world cruise earlier this year, and we had a couple of evening meals in The Glasshouse. Each time, it was just us and one or two other couples. The meals themselves were great, but, because it was so quiet, it was devoid of atmosphere. Our cabin was on the same deck, so we often walked past, and at any time of the day or night, it was usually empty. I felt sorry for the waiters standing round, must have been really boring for them.

It's a shame, as Cafe Bordeaux was so popular.

I'm already looking forward to being on Azura in two years time, as their Glasshouse is in an excellent position, and last time we were on Azura in 2013, people were using it all day long.
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I think the difference is that the Glass House on Azura was designed and built for the space whereas the one on Aurora was salvaged from the "wreck" of the Bordeaux ! Azura's is well divided with modern partitions and is laid out so that even if you are the only couple in there, it doesn't feel like you are in a large, empty space

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”