Cyprus - April 2015 (part 3)

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cyprus - April 2015 (part 3)

Post by david63 »

So the flambé night arrived and off we went.

It seems any years since flambéing was done in the UK (no doubt had to stop due to H&S), and probably as long since I had steak diane. I have to admit that it was a superb evening with a very good guitarist/singer providing the entertainment, with some obligatory Cypriot dancing later. The was a highlight when towards the end of the evening a birthday cake arrived with some "Happy Birthday" singing. Our impression of the hotel was growing with just a casual mention of the birthday that had been picked up on.

The next day the weather improved and we were able to settle into a routine of spending a few hours around the pool in the morning, lunch, a walk in the afternoon, an hour on the computer, pre dinner drinks, dinner at one or other of the a la carte restaurants and then a nightcap.

When we arrived at the hotel it was, at the most, about half full (total guests around 500 when full) and because of this there was always vacant sunbeds at all times of the day. Now this is where it gets interesting. I mentioned earlier that all notices were in Greek, English and German. There was one notice that said "There is no need to reserve sunbeds as there are sufficient for all guests" (or words to that effect) - but unfortunately the English version somehow got lost in translation - either that or it was a case of "that applies to everyone else but me"! Before 08:00 they were out there with their towels claiming "their" sunbeds.

I would also say that when we arrived that about 75% of the guests were well over 60 (which is not altogether unexpected bearing in mind the time of year) - this fell to around 50% by the time we were leaving.

Part 4 to follow ...

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cyprus - April 2015 (part 3)

Post by GillD46 »

Sounds as though it is turning out to be agood hotel.

I love flambéed food, one of the delights of dinner onboard the Queens.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Did the other 25% of oldies die or just go home?

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Enjoying the report.

Sarah62+
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Sarah62+ »

We were in Argaka, Cyprus last summer, and did a day trip into Paphos, which we enjoyed ,even though it was 42 degrees. What we didn't realise till later in the day, we had a little friend in my husbands rucksack ( a rather large European Tarantula). I still shudder at the thought of it.

First time I had been back to Cyprus in 17 years, and found the people very friendly.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I've been to Cyprus twice and my husband once. When I first went, in June one year, I stayed with friends who had a long term rental in a small village near Larnaca. I arrived to a downpour - in June! It did clear up and the rest of the week was mostly unbroken sunshine. I did visit Paphos which I enjoyed, especially a lovely little restaurant in a very small village outside Paphos - can't remember the name - but it was surrounded with fantastic bougainvillea.

The second time I went with my husband to stay with the same friends, this time at the end of June the following year. We arrived - yes to rain! It soon cleared up and we had a couple of very sunny days. Then we went for a three night stay in the Troudos Mountains - big mistake. We arrived and it was drizzling. During that night there was a torrential thunderstorm and by the next morning water was running down the street. After breakfast we all agreed that it was not worth staying so cut our visit short and went back to the south. Unfortunately they had experienced rain too and one of the roads that we would normally have gone down to get to our village was shut so our friend say not to worry he knew a short cut. Another big mistake! We were very near the sea and going along an unbuilt up road, more like a track really and guess what! We got stuck in the mud! Our friend and my husband had a wonderful time wading about in the mud trying to find things to put under the wheels while our friend's wife and I sat in the car thinking what on earth are we doing here? Eventually the two intrepid explorers found enough things to put under the wheels. My friend and I were requested to vacate the car to reduce the weight!! We were assisted out of the car so we didn't end up with our sandalled feet in the mud. And eventually, yes, the car was made to move out of the mud. We eventually got back to the house and the men spend the rest of the afternoon getting the mud off the car and themselves!

So I'm a bit wary of Cyprus. We did enjoy seeing the island but not sure we would be quick to go back.

Carole

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It's a darned long way to go to have a flambé ... steak Diane you say, hmmm :?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

It was over 25 years ago when we first visited Paphos, the Cypria Maris Hotel. We fell in love with the place and its people. Only being on b&b we frequented the local restaurants and made friends with some of the owners. So much so we were invited to family events. Then came cruising and there must have been a 15 year gap before we returned. What was a charming resort had rapidly expanded, local serving in the restaurants and shops had been replaced by eastern Europeans who lacked the commitment to service displayed by the Cypriots. We feel so fortunate to have enjoyed Paphos before, and like most other places, mass tourism spoils the experience

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Went to Cyprus many years ago during the month of January. We started the holiday wearing jackets, but were lucky with the weather as it got warmer. Went into the mountains on a trip, which was cold, but came back to sunshine in Paphos.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Am eagerly waiting for part 4

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote:
Am eagerly waiting for part 4
Thanks for reminding me - I have been somewhat busy with other things for the last week

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Just clocked this report - did you do a part 4, David?

We've been to the Pioneer three times now and loved it.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Return to “Non Cruise Holiday Reports”