Egypt - Sharm El Sheikh

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Egypt - Sharm El Sheikh

Post by Kendhni »

We are just back after a couple of weeks in Sharm, Egypt with friends. With the problems going on in Egypt we were concerned whether or not we would get away but in the end everything was fine.

We stayed in the Tropicana Grand Azure and I am afraid first impressions were not good. The reception area was fantastic but they put us in rooms right at the back end of the resort (complex 22). The air-con and fridge did not work in our friends room and they lodged a complaint with reception. Reception told them that there was nothing else available (incorrect .. see later) but they would look for something the following day (at an extra cost) .. so we stayed with the rooms that night.

The next day we had the meeting with the Thomson rep and mentioned the problems to her. She told us to come with her and took us to reception and asked them to look for another room .. the chap on reception said there was nothing else ... the Thomson rep told him to look harder (in a very stern voice) and two new rooms were found .. right in the middle of the resort and without any extra cost. We then learned that because the Russians, Germans, Dutch etc. were not travelling the hotel was only 1/3 full ... and it showed .. several blocks were closed for renovation and the staff were falling over themselves to help you .. we were positively pampered for the full 2 weeks.

With the hotel only being 1/3 full there were plenty of loungers in top spots around the various pools (although for some reason the English still got up in the early hours to put out towels which were often removed by the pool boys when they came on duty) .. we slipped the pool boy a few quid to reserve us a spot that provided a choice of shade or sun for most of the day. The bar staff were excellent and continually touning around the pool areas giving out drinks (usually they just provided us with a round without us even having to ask) ... that possibly was down to the hotel only being partly full. The food was also excellent with no need for bun fights in the well laid out Marakesh buffet and we tried all of the select dining venues (Chinese (good), Mediterranean (OK), Italian (very good) and Fish (OK)) .. the service in all venues was excellent.

The hotel had 3 main pool areas all of which varied in depth from 0 to 5 feet (or so): the waterfall was the biggest and had various waterfalls, and features. The dolphin pool was the noisy one with music and the animation team, sports, swim up bar and the kids area. The fountain was a quieter pool it had a swim up bar, a couple of jacuzzi areas and various water jets .. and you did not get hassled by sellers (but i missed a bit of background music). There was also a mini aqua park pool with 4-5 different chutes. All pools displayed signs informing parents that they were expected to look after their own children.

The hotel pier into the water was nearly 900m long across the top of the coral (although you could also walk out in the water (water shoes required). Unfortunately it appears a Taiwanese freighter had dumped a load of chum over the side which had brought a shark into the area so our hotel was over cautious and kept the pier closed for much of the time ... but we were still able to snorkel on several days (other hotels did not shut their piers). A red and white helicopter went up and down the coast a few times ... we were told it was trying to spot the shark(s).

A pathway ran along the sea front and it was possible to rent little battery operated bikes etc. to along past all the hotels (Amwaj, Coral Sea, Magic etc. etc.) .. fairly nippy they were too.

The Animation team was probably one of the hardest working I have seen on holiday. They are no match for the likes of the Headliners etc. but they still put on loads of shows and seemed to be everywhere at all times of the day. The hotel also put on a couple of 'feature' nights with a bit of the usual entertainment you would expect.

We went out to Ras Mohammed for a bit of snorkelling .. it was quite choppy that day but an absolute mass of snorkel friendly fish ... unfortunately on the last dive someone pinched my snorkel, mask and flippers so I could not appreciate the full beauty. Our friends also went out to Tiran Island (we had already done this) .. unfortunately we were not able to go to Cairo or Luxor. in the evenings we went to the Old SHarm and SOHO areas for a bit of retail therapy. The lack of tourists really showed with the vendors being really pushy .. but also very keen to get a sale at rock bottom prices.

The flight time out was about 5 hours and back was about 6 hours with an extra 20minute or so transfer to the hotel.
The temperature for our entire stay was in the high 30's low 40's.

If we had not have moved rooms at the start we would have said it was a good hotel worth a visit .. however the location they put us in after the move made all the difference .. we had a fantastic time, handy to all amenities and we would definitely put the Tropicana Grand Azure at the top of our shopping list for Nabq. To anybody else looking at this hotel I would recommend looking at complexes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 to be handy to the dolphin/fountain pools and main dining or complexes 9-18 (I think) to be handy to reception and the waterfall pool.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Egypt - Sharm El Sheikh

Post by Dancing Queen »

Sounds as if you had a good time Ken.

Welcome back :wave: :wave:
Jo

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Dear Ken

Great report and thanks

Sounds you had a great holiday, after "ironing" out the initial wrinkles

Good to have you back on board

Graam
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Psychenurse
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Psychenurse »

Hello to the forum......My son has just returned from sharm... I will say that we were forever asking him to reconsider due to the recent troubles, however as a young man with his girlfriend beside him I was told I was being too cautious and the trip went ahead .. On his return he reported that he had never felt safer and will return ..I am tempted for land based holiday however cruising still has me in its clutches...tight!!! :lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Not our type of holiday but pleased to read that you enjoyed it ... batteries, I assume, are now fully charged again.

ps ... welcome back :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Psychenurse, I can assure you (and everyone else) that at no time did we feel unsafe in Sharm ... as on previous occasions the Egyptian people were lovely (although even more pushy than normal in the shopping areas). We did somehow (not quite sure how) get into a political discussion with one taxi driver and his attitude was along the lines of "Just because there are riots in London it would not stop you visiting Edinburgh".

I have heard that some of the other countries have now lifted their travel restrictions so hopefully, for those relying on the tourist trade, things will pick up.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

So that's where you've been - good to see you back :wave:
Janis

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

have looked once or twice at Egypt but were put off by some friends and family reports of food issues on a cruise and at a couple of hotels
might give it a go , as a cheap AI wintersun type destination at some point

good review though
Nihil Obstat

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks for your report, it sounds like a good relaxing break
Gill

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Dark Knight wrote:
have looked once or twice at Egypt but were put off by some friends and family reports of food issues on a cruise and at a couple of hotels
might give it a go , as a cheap AI wintersun type destination at some point

good review though
Many people, even regular visitors to Egypt, suffer with a jippy tummy .. the first time we went there I had to spend a couple of hours in the medical centre on a drip (that was more down to severe dehydration due to the temperature though rather than food issues (it was in the 40's throughout that stay) ... the symptoms were similar. This time I managed to avoid all maladies but was drinking about 1 litre of water (plus other drinks) per hour. Julie has never been struck down.

Use common sense and you can avoid the dreaded jippy tummy ... do not swallow water from the pool or the sea (good advice anywhere) ... only eat in places where you are 100% certain that the food and ice is being prepared using bottled water ... never brush your teeth with tap water (use bottled water) ... wash your hands or use a gel regularly (especially if you have touched Egyptian money) etc. etc..

For the quality of the hotels, the guaranteed weather and the fantastic snorkelling, it is one of the cheapest places we have found ... I have seen several 2 week fly/stay deals being offered for under £600pp between now and the middle of next year ... decent hotels (sometimes even the main hotel rather than the 'club' variant). Just before we went this year our TA offered us a fantastic deal to Sharm in early Dec (under £550 for both of us for a week inc. flights) ... unfortunately I don't have the leave, otherwise i would have jumped at it ... far cheaper than a long weekend in a cold miserable wet UK.

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Thanks Ken. Nice report.

We were in Egypt eighteen months ago, on a cruise.(not PandO). We took a shuttle to a resort and were greatly saddened by the lack of tourists and the desperate efforts of the restaurant owners to get us inside. The beach was lovely, and the water looked clear and clean. Sorry can't remember the name of the resort, but it was Sharm. This downturn in tourism has been going on for a long time, it must be devastating their economy.

Glad you had a good time, and were able to sort out the accommodation glitches. It is, however, hard to understand why you were not given the best rooms when they must be relying on feedback from their visitors, to get more guests to come.
Jay

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

I must admit I'd be a little worried about going to Egypt at the moment too. Anyhow I'm glad you had a good time. I wondered where you were too. :wave:

Return to “Non Cruise Holiday Reports”