N 614

Ventura cruises in 2016

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: N 614

Post by sunseeker16 »

We did the Santorini volcano hike ... pretty energetic but gave us a good feeling of having done it! We didn't take any other P&O excursions. I don't think I've any particular tips - just enjoy it!

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Thanks Sunseeker. I Always have a hearty Brekfast on board but will take something else along, looking forward to it.
Mel

Henrich
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Henrich »

Not long too go now. Planning the journey down again, looking where too stop for coffee, we are staying overnight on Saturday so no rush.

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We travel down from Southport leaving about 6 ish, Breakfast stop on the A5 just off the M6 then a steady drive down M5 to 11a, down past Swindon, Coffee stop just north of Tidworth (well fruit tea for me.) then Salisbury--Southampton. around 5 hrs.
Mel

Henrich
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Henrich »

We are travelling from congleton in south Cheshire, we traveled down on the sailing day until a couple of cruises ago when all the roads around us were blocked with traffic because of an accident on the M6. We got caught up in it and travelled 4 miles in 1 1/2 hours. I use to like getting up early and travelling on the embarkation day, too risking these days.
I do not like motorways so my plan is, A34 to Stafford, m6 then m6 toll getting off to have lunch at our sons. Then head for m40 to pick up the a34 again down to near Southampton and our holiday inn overnight stop. The hotel is about 3 miles from the dock. We will build a stop or more into that on the way. Have a good journey and a smooth embarkation.

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

We always travel down the day before. Just do not trust the roads, Main and Motorways from North Wales to Southampton enough to travel the same day.

We normally stay in Premier West and that gives us a 30 min run into the port, through Gate 20 and take the quieter roads to Mayflower.
Regards

Peter

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Getting Closer..
Mel

johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

Sadly we have had to cancel last evening on Medical advice

Disappointed
John

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Sorry to hear that.Hope your ok.
Mel

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Oh well only 2 more days, suppose we should really start packing.....
Mel

Topic author
screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Well now weve been back a week it's time to give my opinion on the cruise. This was the 3rd time on Ventura and i have previously really enjoyed herbut this time i/we thought there was something lacking, she seemed a bit subdued. Gone were the 9am bells and nav info, there were no calls from the bridge regarding Whales and Dolphin and not too much info from the Skipper... bring back Charlie Carr..!!
The Entertainmaint during the first week left a lot to be desired..in our opinion...it picked up with the arrival of Tucker, John Martin, the 4 tunes and the obligatory Opera boys, the Guest speaker Tony White we thought was excellent. After being on Azura last October we think that she was better all round. Many other little things but overall a very enjoyable cruise with lots of very nice ports of call.....Oh well, only 16 weeks till we try Arcadia. Oh, and 5 formal nights in 17 was a bit much. This was our opinion , i'm sure others will think differntly.
Mel

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

Following on from screwy's post I though I would add our thoughts.

We thought that this cruise delivered, good company, great ports of call and we enjoyed the meals. It was also nice to see the majority conforming to the dress code, especially the formal evenings, with passengers even dining in the Glass House, it is casual on a formal night, in formal attire. For us, we liked the 5 formal evenings over 17 days.

There was a good mixture of sea and ports of call and we did enjoyed all the ports and DIYed most of them, opting for an excursion in Athens.

Entertainment wise, Clem Curtis (Foundations), Giselle Summers singing 60 era songs and later Barbra Streisand, the 4Tunes, the Opera Boys, David Kidd (appeared on ‘The Voice’) as Tom Jones and Paul Hughes were some of the more outstanding singers with Tom Binns, Tucker and John Martin the better comedians. John also gave a talk about the Assassination of Rienhard Heydrich. I had heard this on an earlier Azura cruise and it is well worth going to see. There were two guest groups, Soundwave were good and played a good selection of songs. The other was ‘Dynamite Groove’, what can you say, 10 mins into their first show (Soul & Motown) we decided to walk out, something I have never done and something I hope never to repeat but we could not stay there. When we got up to leave you could see others doing the same and we were not the last, walking down through the photo gallery and looking back you could see lots of other couples coming out of the lounge. The lead singer was terrible; she killed those beautiful Motown songs with her screeching voice and performing antics. We spoke to other passengers at differing times on the cruise and all were of the same opinion.

On a personal note, I enjoy the P&O talks and try and get to them on sea days but our guest speaker was Tony White who for 17 Days talked about the History of Drugs. It may have been an interesting subject but why one theme for 17 days?

I agree with screwy that the Captain, Alistair Clark was very conspicuous with his lack of show around the decks and public areas and for the first time on a 14+ cruise the captain did not give a talk. I believe his family was on board for the cruise but that should not mean he ignores his passengers. Our Entertainments Officer, Hughie Taylor, was a definite no show. We saw him once, the final sail away where he was handing out the flags. Maybe it is about time he retired.

Overall, this cruise was fantastic. One of the best we have been on for a while. Maybe that was because of all the new ports. We both felt that if this was your first cruise, you would defiantly be hooked after it. If you are looking for something different, then yes highly recommended. The big question is……

Would we do it again? Most definitely and hopefully with Mykonos as a port. Next year is already planned, but 2018 we will see what is in the brochure.
Regards

Peter

Librarian
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Librarian »

I was also on this cruise and I agree with most of what has been said. I am a solo traveller but on this occasion met up with a friend I met on a previous cruise on Azura. lOved all the ports all of which were new to me, except Gib which is always good for a short shopping trip.

I agree that Dynamite Groove were most definitely not to my taste, but I very much enjoyed all the others mentioned, not keen on the comedians though. We thought the Ventura Orchastra were excellent and enjoyed the Jazz and Big Band.

We were on second sitting and had a table for eight, all solo travellers, this was a very mixed experience with some lovely people but a couple of men who really spoiled the dinning experience with behaviour which I didn't consider appropriate for a dining room, I am not a kill joy and enjoy a laugh but this boardered on childish and inappropriate, the first time I have considered asking to move! I had breakfast and lunch in the buffet which is unusual for me but I thought the variety and quality of food was good and never had a problem finding a seat.

I missed the announcements about dolphins and the general information you often get but we did see the Captain a couple of times on sea days when we were playing Shuffleboard. This was great fun with a huge and very friendly crowd attending every sea day.

All in all a fabulous cruise with an itinerary I would love to do again, hopefully with Mykonos next time.

Return to “Ventura Cruises 2016”