Adonia Here We Come

Cruises on Adonia in 2017

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Adonia Here We Come

Post by qbman1 »

I must say, I'm surprised they are sailing her back empty rather than cashing in for a "repositioning" cruise. Maybe they are planning to carry out some of the refurb during the crossing?

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote: 13 May 2017, 09:45
I must say, I'm surprised they are sailing her back empty rather than cashing in for a "repositioning" cruise. Maybe they are planning to carry out some of the refurb during the crossing?
Probably - also I would guess that they will have some crew on board getting the ship ready for your impending cruise :D

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Interesting that they are planning to stop off at Portland for a wash and brush up - maybe Sarah Breton wants to take in a visit to Abbotsbury Garden and Swannery ?!
Last edited by qbman1 on 13 May 2017, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Well they have to get the "Fathom" emblem off the side and, I assume the bow will have the Union Jack painted on to match the rest of the fleet. There's something odd on the funnel too - I assume that's to do with Fathom as well. Be great to see Adonia back, let's hope she stays with the fleet now and doesn't get lent to any one else!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

They replaced the chess board on the top deck with an outdoor cinema on the basis that the Yanks "don't like deck games" ! I'll be surprised if they leave the cinema up there for us old fuddy-duddies who like Adonia - wonder what we'll get in its place ? I, for one, am pleased about the Glass House though - just a shame it is replacing the Italian and not that dreadful MPW malarkey !

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

david63 wrote: 13 May 2017, 10:55
qbman1 wrote: 13 May 2017, 09:45
Probably - also I would guess that they will have some crew on board getting the ship ready for your impending cruise :D
You mean locking away all the valuables?

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Still no berth or terminal on our e tickets for the 16th June cruise. So rang my travel agent, who contacted P and O. Apparently it took them just under an hour to get through and my ta said it's been like this for a while it's terrible.

Anyway no real answer they are just not up to speed with the Adonia. Makes me wonder whether it coming back to the UK has been a rush decision. We are leaving from the QE 2 berth and coming back in to the Mayflower. Why the IT system cannot add that to the ticket is a mystery.
They said I shouldn't have downloaded my ticket yet, but I always do to make sure my details are correct.
Hope everything else is okay for the cruise, I see it's sold out.

Lindsey

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Thanks so much for going through all this hassle, Lindsey - just so they can have it all sorted before mine in July !!

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 18 May 2017, 09:44
So rang my travel agent, who contacted P and O. Apparently it took them just under an hour to get through
It would have been quicker/easier to have gone to the VTS site http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_In ... _Schedule/ where the berths have been available for the last couple of months.
Whynd1 wrote: 18 May 2017, 09:44
Why the IT system cannot add that to the ticket is a mystery
Not necessarily the IT system that is at fault but whoever loads that data. The issue may be that it is normally done automatically when all of the berths are arranged 12 months or so ahead and with Adonia coming back onto the scene later then they missed the boat [sic] with adding them.

Also if you look at some of the ports that Adonia is visiting there is nothing on their websites to show that they are in port that day so it looks as if the whole port scheduling for Adonia is having a problem - just hope it all works out when "push come to shove"!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

If that's right - looks like ours goes out of QEII (yuk!) and back to the Mayflower

We're still reliant on Sarah Breton being able to map-read !!

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote: 18 May 2017, 10:06
If that's right - looks like ours goes out of QEII (yuk!) and back to the Mayflower
We are the opposite - never been to QEII
qbman1 wrote: 18 May 2017, 10:06
We're still reliant on Sarah Breton being able to map-read !!
Don't be silly - she has GPS!!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Sat Navs aren't infallible - she could still end up down a farm track !!

QEII probably won't be such a hassle with dear little Adonia but I find it a real pain - you have to battle your way into what amounts to a multi-storey car park, drop off the luggage, drive to the other end of the car park to hand over to CPS then walk back to the terminal building ! It's bad enough if you know what you are doing but I have never seen anyone giving directions so the first time you do it is a d-i-y nightmare.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I've been reading that the QEII terminal has had a refit since we were last there a few years ago. I agree the only time we've been there it was a nightmare. We only knew that you had to drive in, drop off the luggage and then drive to the other end to hand the car over to CPS, because when we first arrived one of the porters told us what to do. The car in front of us stopped to drop off the luggage and then we saw the driver get out and wander into the Terminal building. We couldn't get past him, there wasn't room so John hopped out of the car and dashed after him. Meanwhile cars behind us were hooting! The guy came back looking rather red-faced and got back into his car and drove round. I hope with the refit they have altered this ridiculous procedure. We will be there again in September as we are going on a Fred Olsen cruise and that's the terminal they seem to use - I suppose because the ships are so much smaller.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I'll let you know if it has improved after our July sojourn, Carole. I have my doubts since, due to the layout, it is difficult to do much else. I hope whoever designed it has been sentenced to a life on Calamity !!

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote: 18 May 2017, 12:01
I hope whoever designed it has been sentenced to a life on Calamity
I suspect that when it was designed many years ago it suited the purpose of the time. The trouble is that many things have changed in that time.

The original Mayflower Terminal (not the one before the latest revamp, but the one before that) was a totally different proposition to what is there now, but at the time it worked.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote: 18 May 2017, 12:50
qbman1 wrote: 18 May 2017, 12:01
I hope whoever designed it has been sentenced to a life on Calamity
I suspect that when it was designed many years ago it suited the purpose of the time. The trouble is that many things have changed in that time.

The original Mayflower Terminal (not the one before the latest revamp, but the one before that) was a totally different proposition to what is there now, but at the time it worked.
Not sure about that - the queue snaking 8 times around the arrivals hall was never ideal !

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote: 18 May 2017, 12:51
Not sure about that - the queue snaking 8 times around the arrivals hall was never ideal !
I am talking about the version before that - you didn't even get into the hall - you queued outside in the "shed"

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I'm not old enough to remember that one !!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Balcony cabins for D711P dropped from approx £2,400 to less than £1,500 this week ... intended for the attention of those pax who love to tell us that their launch price is always the best offering.

Just saying 8-) .
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I suspect flogging Adonia has been an uphill task this year because of the late announcement of her arrival back into the fleet. By then other cruises had been on sale for months. People like us who fancied a trip on Adonia had decided to do something else instead, so she's off our agenda till 2019. Plus the itineraries for 2017 are pretty repetitive. I reckon her return took P&O by surprise too!

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 18 May 2017, 13:21
Balcony cabins for D711P dropped from approx £2,400 to less than £1,500 this week ... intended for the attention of those pax who love to tell us that their launch price is always the best offering.
Had we booked that cruise, which we haven't, then the opening price would still have been cheaper as we had a 50% discount :D

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 18 May 2017, 15:11
Manoverboard wrote: 18 May 2017, 13:21
Had we booked that cruise, which we haven't, then the opening price would still have been cheaper as we had a 50% discount :D
Lucky you :wtf: :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

It's the haves and have nots.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Just had a phone call from my travel agent.
No terminal showing for the Adonia cruise on June 16th, so they are printing my ticket off and sending it out and they will ring P and O again early next week. At least it's not British Airways.
She did mention that P and O seem a little unprepared for the Adonia !!!

Lindsey

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

According to VTS you are going from QEII

Return to “Adonia Cruises 2017”