Sue Kersh on Oriana

Oriana cruises in 2017

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Sue Kersh on Oriana

Post by Whynd1 »

I know some of use like to read Sue's cruise reports.
Sue and Gary are currently doing a back to back on Oriana.
DTM is tendering these reports across to the cross next web site if anyone else is interested in reading them.

Lindsey

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Sue Kersh on Oriana

Post by GillD46 »

Oh yes please.
Gill

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

No problem ladies, I can happily post them to here too 😀

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Friday 1 st September 2017 - Boarding Oriana
Oriana X718 to the Mediterranean and Venice

The drive down to Southampton took 5 1/2 hours with a stop for lunch and other than torrential rain for the first 30 minutes the weather was good. The traffic was busy but we did not encounter any hold ups until the last 1 mile on the motorway into a Southampton.

The Holiday Inn express is basic but fine for one night stay and cooked breakfast included.

We woke to a sunny day but a definite Autumnal nip in the morning air.

After dropping the car off at cruise park and finding that because it was Eide and there was a shortage of taxis Jason took us and our luggage to the port.

We had priority check in and were met at the hospitality area by Richard the senior loyalty manager. I chatted to him about the arrangements for the new brochure release which is on Monday when we are in Cadiz.

Boarding Oriana was well organised and by 12:15 we were in the Peninsular restaurant for a hot buffet and plenty of bubbles.

The cases arrived shortly after the cabins were ready and we spent a couple of hours unpacking and sorting the cabin out which will be our home for 36 nights.

The sun shone for sailaway and I met up with our officer friend who I hadn't seen for almost a year. After the biggest hug we caught up on our news before it was time to leave to get ready for dinner.

Captain Cook sailed very close past the Needles and we had a fabulous clear view of them. It isn't very often that the ships sail past this way and we certainly had not been as close to them before.

We had pre dinner drinks in Andersons which was unusually quiet for a first night followed by dinner in the midship Peninsular restaurant which is freedom dining. The food was excellent and the waiters although busy were friendly and professional. We met the diet waiter and discussed our requirements for tomorrow's formal night and Marco's Beef Wellington menu.

The Crows Nest was also very quiet it must be 1 st night syndrome so after one drink we headed to Harlequins where it was only slightly busier. The band played ballroom and a few sequence dances and it got busier as the evening wore on.

There was a female vocalist in the theatre but having heard her whilst heading to the Crows Nest we decided to give it a miss.

We have 2 sea days before we reach our first port of call Cadiz.

Saturday 2 September 2017 - 1 st Sea Day to Cadiz
I woke in time to go to the 7 a.m. Fab Abs Class. Only 4 of us attended and someone who timed it just right and arrived with only 5 minutes left of the lesson. The hunky Carl got us through the torture.

After breakfast in the main dining room it was the food & beverage cooking demonstration. Some very talented chefs showing off not only their cooking skills but vegetable and fruit carving , plate decorating and cake decorating. Unfortunately the food cooked was not for consumption and I left feeling peckish even though it was only an hour or so since breakfast.

The sun was out and the hardy passengers were out on sunbeds in swim wear. I still felt I needed a fleece to spend any time outside so headed back indoors to the Lords Tavern and the Battle of the Sexes quiz. The ladies started off badly but caught up and finished slightly in the lead.

I headed to the buffet for a light lunch but it was heaving, tried Al Frescos but pax were queuing out of the door so ended up back in the main dining room. I had certainly had enough exercise to warrant the lunch.
It was almost 3 p.m. by the time I returned to the cabin where my butler was just about to start a search and rescue as we had parted company at 6:30 a.m. and other than briefly meeting up at 10 a.m.we had done our own 'thing' all day.

It was our first formal night of the cruise and our invite to Captains Welcome on board was for 19:45in the Crows Nest. I had sent my formal dress to the laundry for pressing and breathed a sigh of relief when it was delivered back to the cabin with about 30 minutes to spare.

We ate first as the dining room was quiet as those passengers having the 17:45 party invites were still in the party. We had finished our main course before they made their presence felt. The drinks had obviously flowed well!!

After the party we just managed to get a couple of theatre seats in the middle of a row with a decent view of the stage. The act was called The Uptowns. Dreadful is too kind, we definitely won't be seeing their 2 nd show on Tuesday. We were not the only ones who thought this, as lots of grumbling was going on around us. At least we sat it out, unlike the lucky pax who had got aisle seats towards the back., although probably wouldn't have had we not been hemmed in.

The singer who was in theatre last night was screeching in the Pacific Lounge as we walked past. The entertainment can only get better.

Another sea day tomorrow and the forecast is good.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Many thanks DTM

Lindsey

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Friends are on this cruise so I am very pleased to be able to read this report. They sent us a message as they sailed past the Needles and sent us a photo. So lucky. I would love to do that on a cruise ship. Have only sailed just past the Needles on a friends boat. I can only assume that a cruise ship requires a very high tide and a 'flat bottom'.

Lovely ports on this back to back cruise. Very jealous.

Maureen

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Kenmo1 wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 20:33
Friends are on this cruise so I am very pleased to be able to read this report. They sent us a message as they sailed past the Needles and sent us a photo. So lucky. I would love to do that on a cruise ship. Have only sailed just past the Needles on a friends boat. I can only assume that a cruise ship requires a very high tide and a 'flat bottom'.

Maureen
We've been that way on Adonia - lovely
Meg
x

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Dennis The Menace wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 20:04
No problem ladies, I can happily post them to here too 😀
thank you!
Meg
x

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Looking forward to reading more.

Thanks Sue and Dennis.
Gill

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

I enjoy reading the reports so thank you for posting Dennis, and thank you to Sue for finding the time to write her reports.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Meg 50 wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 21:05
Kenmo1 wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 20:33

Maureen
We've been that way on Adonia - lovely
Yes, we've sailed out through the Needles Channel on Adonia too but I have never heard of any of the larger ships going that way - must have been an exceptionally high tide as is is fairly shallow passing Hurst Castle. It's a really nice ride that way !

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Morning all, a slight delay to this one (sorry), but here's Sue's 2nd instalment. No problem at all re posting these on here folks, very happy to do 😀 :

Sunday 3rd September 2017 - 2 nd Sea day to Cadiz
The clocks went forward an hour overnight but although bleary eyed I still managed to get to the gym for the early morning class.

The temperature was getting higher and more white bodies were appearing on the decks. Still not hot enough for me to shed any clothes yet but it was great to walk around the decks and feel the sun.

I watched the ice sculpture being carved and the rectangular iceberg being transformed in minutes into an angel fish. The lunch time BBQ was being set up on deck and smelled delicious. The crew are so happy to be doing a warm weather cruise as the last 3 cruises were cold ones.

The Ladies fell behind in the Battle of Sexes and Beverley, the Ents officer, had a hard job keeping the men in control as they argued every single point. She stood up to them and didn't let them bully her.

The evening entertainment was the Headliners Theatre Company performing ' Stage Door' in the theatre and Lucy Williamson in the Pacific Lounge.

We danced the night away in Harlequins to the resident band Carrisma which were probably the best dance band we have had on a ship for a long time. They played a great variation of dances and all at the correct tempo. As we are on the ship for a long time I am trying to have at least one alcohol free day per week and stayed on the virgin mojitos.

Tomorrow is we dock in Cadiz our 1 st port of call .

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Monday 4 th September 2017 - Cadiz

Our first port and a perfect sunny day. Ventura was also in Cadiz but on the other side of the port. Oriana had the prime berth and it was just a short walk into the cathedral area where the market, shops and bars are located.

It was El scorchio and it wasn't long before we found a bar and I tasted my first beer of the cruise. Everywhere was extremely busy so after a little bit of shopping to stock up on cabin supplies we got out of the touristy area and followed the noise of Spanish chatter and laughter and found a tapas bar where the Spanish were eating.

It was very authentic with oysters being shucked from a stall outside the bar, the menu was written on the table and supplemented by specials of the day. There was so much choice and all freshly cooked and Tinto Verano to wash it down. The dishes just kept arriving and the table looked like I had ordered enough food for six people. A very unusual street performer set up his music and started dancing. He must have been well into his 70 s and could move like a teenager. He finished to loud applause and appeared to make a reasonable living moving around the different restaurants.

We headed back to the ship as we had an invite to a champagne and canapé reception for the launch of the new brochure. The bubbles flowed well and the canapés were delicious. There was no presentation we were just handed the brochure and once passengers realised that Adonia was not in the brochure for 2018 or 2019 the loyalty manager spent his time fending off questions without being able to answer any of them.
The sailaway party was in full swing in the sunshine on aft deck.

A fabulous first port of call.

The evening entertainment in the theatre was a comedian Jeff Stevenson. We sat on the end of a row to be able to make a quick exit if necessary. It wasn't. He was such a funny man and he held the audiences attention throughout.

We finished the night in Harlequins dancing to the Oriana Trio hosted by the dance instructors Peter and Pamela.

We have two sea restful days until we arrive at Trapani in Sicily. A new port for us and a maiden call for Oriana.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

We had Jeff Stevenson on Aurora earlier this year. He was very funny, and I suspect his act is not exactly the same every time as he reacts to current events
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We also had him on QV last week. He was extremely funny, but his act was pretty much word for word from last year. Still enjoyed him though.
Gill

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Afternoon all, here's a bumper update from Sue to start the weekend off - have a good one all 😀 :

Tuesday 5 September 2017 - 1 st sea Day to Trapani Sicily.
Another sunny sea day in the Mediterranean. I did the early morning fab abs class but can't see any difference yet. The class was much busier than last time I went which was Sunday. The gym is very short of floor space because of all of the equipment.

I had a light breakfast in the main dining room as we have our Peninsular lunch today. There are so many top tier passengers on this cruise that we had a choice of today or tomorrow. We chose today as it is a formal night tomorrow. There will also be two lunches for the Caribbean tier later in the cruise.

The food was excellent as usual and our superb host Bradley, the Food & Beverage Manager ensured that we were well looked after and the conversation flowed well. It was a large table and difficult to speak to everyone. We headed straight back to the cabin to sleep off our over indulgence. Luckily I had ordered a very light evening meal.

We gave the Uptowns second show a miss and went straight to the Pacific lounge to get seats for the 9:30 p.m. show which was the Headliners performing Abba. Many passengers had the same idea and well before 9 p.m. the lounge was full. They were fantastic and all of the costumes have been changed since we last saw this show.

There was dancing in Harlequins but we decided to give it a miss and headed outside to the aft deck where music was playing and the stars were out. It was a perfect evening at sea.

Another relaxing sea day tomorrow.

Wednesday 6 September 2017 - 2nd sea Day to Trapani

A very lazy sea day although I did get to the Fab Abs class at 7 a.m. It all went downhill exercise wise after that as I found my bed in the sun on the aft deck and my butler kept me fed and watered. My Fitbit bleeped at me regularly to remind me to walk and I completely ignored it.

Our 2 nd formal night and when I realised we had run out of ice for the G & T I ordered a bucket of ice and lemon from room service and canapés were delivered at the same time. Very nice.

We ate a little later than usual and had a pre dinner drink in Andersons bar, a visit to Sindhu to book the Asian lunch for later in the cruise and then headed to the dining room. The formal dinner was the best meal of the cruise so far. They have all been excellent but I ordered sea bass and it was exceptional.

Unfortunately we couldn't get into the show which was standing room only for Jeff Stevenson's final performance of the cruise.

There was a formal night ball in Harlequins, a Night at the races in the Lord Tavern, and the Orchestra playing in the Pacific. The only thing missing was music under the stars which was a shame as the evening was perfect for it.

Tomorrow is a tender port into Trapani

Thursday 7 September 2017 - Trapani Sicily
Another beautiful sunny day with perfect sea conditions for the tender operations.
We hadn't booked a trip here as nothing had appealed except for the cable car to Erice the medieval hill town which we knew would be a waste of time if the weather wasn't clear.

The weather was perfect and we picked up a tender ticket around 9 a.m. and within 10 minutes we were on our way to the tender station. A clear smooth crossing to the port where we picked up a taxi to the cable car station which was 5 kilometres on the other side of town. He took us the scenic route past beautiful beaches and pointed out places of interest. There was no queue at the cable car and for 9 Euros each return we were whisked up the mountainside 703 metres towards Erice. We had the 8 seater car to ourself and could move around freely to take photos of the stunning panoramic views of Trapani, the famous Salt plains and the surrounding countryside. Oriana looked like a toy boat out at sea and the yachts in the harbour like litter floating around.

Erice was stunning with the cobbled walkways and extremely narrow winding roads leading to elaborate buildings, churches and two castles. There were many souvenir shops and wine bars cafes etc. The villagers were very friendly and made us welcome.

We returned the way we came but the wind had got up and the cable car swung around on the way down. It was nerve wrecking seeing the empty car in front of us swaying side to side. We found a taxi at the bottom and he dropped us in the centre of Trapani. Many passengers were unimpressed by the the lack of anything interesting in the town. Like many ports you really to need to get out further to see the fascinating sights these discovery ports have to offer. We did find some interesting architecture including the Basilica. Much of Trapani is just painted concrete buildings with little gems next to them.

We found a Gelateria and had huge ice creams whilst walking around enjoying the sunshine.

The tender back to the ship was not quite as calm as going out but we have experienced far worse in the past.

I spent the rest of the afternoon on deck in the hot sun.

We had booked dinner in the Beach House which was excellent especially as our friend joined us for the meal. The weather was warm enough to eat outside on deck which was a bonus. The Lava Rock Steak was amazing and the Seafood Kebab was huge. It was quite a sight when it was brought to the table. We ate far too much and although it was late when we left it was still a warm evening so we all went down to the Terrace pool deck for Music under the stars. The Original Singapore Sling was on the cocktail menu which was delicious but after the majority of a bottle of wine I could only manage one.

Tomorrow is another sea day before we reach Zadar in Croatia.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Friday 8 September 2017 - sea Day to Zadar Croatia

I surprised myself today as normally after a large meal I feel sluggish and don't make it to the early morning exercise class but today I did. It was hard going but at least I did it.

No time for sunbathing today as I had booked the Champagne Galley Tour which lasted until almost lunch time. We were greeted at the Midships restaurant with a glass of champagne and various canapés. I was pleased that I had only had a light breakfast.

Bradley the Food & Beverage manager presented a short talk on what we were about to see and introduced his team of officers who would be escorting us in groups around the Galley.

It was extremely interesting, we started with the wine stores, then the bread making area, and worked our way around all of the different areas. We were lucky and saw an ice carving being created and plates being decorated ready for the deserts. Once the galley tour was completed we were then given another glass of champagne to finish the tour.

Out on deck the chefs were getting ready for the lunchtime pancake party. This is the first time this had been tried and it certainly appeared to be a success. Both savoury and sweet pancakes were on offer and as it was hot and sunny on deck the event was well attended and very popular. The food and beverage team are extremely proactive and Lester the Head Chef always attends these events.

In dinner George, who is virtually resident on Oriana, was celebrating his 99 th birthday. We all sang Happy Birthday to him and not to miss a sales opportunity the restaurant manager encouraged everyone to book for next years cruise to help George celebrate his 100 th birthday.

Lots of choice of entertainment, in the theatre was Andrew Skrimshire. Although we had seen his act previously we enjoyed his very dry sense of humour as much as his diverse musical styles from Big Band music and the Beatles. Dancing to the Oriana Trio in Harlequins or the 60s & 70s party on deck and the weather was warm enough for it to be success. The late night disco followed the dancing in Harlequins.

Tomorrow we dock in Zadar - Croatia.

Saturday 9 September 2017 - Zadar, Croatia
For the past few days we have been checking the weather forecast and it was showing rain for Zadar. BUT we woke to sun with a few light clouds and early morning temperatures already in the 20 s.

We were in the centre just after 10 a.m. and our first stop was the gigantic sun dial and the sea organ. The current passes through the underwater pipes which are all different sizes and the result is piped music which was very calming.

We followed others who looked like they knew the way into the old walled town. Cobbled streets, fascinating architecture and a huge market selling fish, vegetables, flowers, food and everything else. This is a very pretty Croatian town full of history but with modern shops alongside traditional ones. Not everywhere took Euros but most places did.

We stopped for a beer by the cathedral, picked up the Wi Fi and checked out fishy places for lunch. Konoba s are family run restaurants generally at the back of their houses, using traditional cooking methods and specialising in locally caught seafood. The one we found was Konoba Martinac and was a real gem. We went through the indoor eating area through to the courtyard garden. By this time the sky looked a little threatening so we chose a table under the verandah. Just in time the heavens opened and gave the gardens a well deserved watering.
The food was delicious. I ordered mixed shellfish with a salad and Garry grilled chicken and salad, with homemade bread and local beer. I was in heaven and we will search this place out when we are here again next May. It rained quite heavy whilst we were eating but by the time we had finished the sun was shining once again.

We had an invite to the Captain's private lounge and balcony to watch the sailaway from Zadar. We met in reception and were escorted to the lounge with around 15 other couples. It's a lovely room with fabulous views across the bow of the ship doors led to the balcony which was in full sunshine. Perfect weather for this party. Champagne, canapés and cocktails were served by very attentive waiters and senior officers. As soon as a drink was finished it was replaced by another one. Four different cocktails on offer plus virgin ones and we were told that if we wanted anything different just to ask. Two couples were celebrating their Golden Wedding and what a lovely way to do it. Once the pilot had disembarked the Captain came to join the party.

The fabulous Headliners performed the Motown show Stop in the Name of Love. Another excellent performance by this very talented troupe.

Our plan was to finish the night on the aft deck with music under the stars but when we got there it was very quiet as the temperatures had dropped dramatically as we sailed further North to Venice. The forecast is not great and we may have a duvet day.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Sounds lovely.
Gill

RAwllE-12
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by RAwllE-12 »

My wife and I will be joining the Oriana when she returns to Southampton on the 20th September, can not wait.
Hope to see you Sue and many thanks for your report excellent : clap:

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Great reports Sue.
Will be Zadar myself in a few weeks.

Many thanks DTM for tendering.

Lindsey

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

My pleasure Lindsey, here's another one 😀:

Sunday 10 September 2017 - Venice
A very early sail in as we picked the pilot up at 5:30 a.m. Unfortunately it was raining hard as well as being pitch black except for the Venetian lights as we sailed by.

After breakfast the rain still showed no sign of easing and as we have been here many times before we decided to stay on ship until it stopped.
Many passengers complaining that no refunds were being offered for trips or the motor launch. We had planned to do our own thing so hadn't purchased any trip or the motor launch.

The weather didn't improve enough although from time to time it slowed to a drizzle before coming on torrential again. The majority of passengers we spoke to were not happy about our berth as it was a long way in the rain to reach the motor launch, probably a lot of exaggeration but some said at least 1 1/2 miles and another said it felt like 3 miles. It did look a long way and there was no transport laid on to get to the shuttle. The rain does bring out the worst in people and P & O always get the blame.

We lunched in the main dining room and then had a wander onto the prom deck but the weather just hadn't improved so we made the final decision to stay onboard. A couple of extra films were being shown but neither appealed. We spent a lazy day reading and planning our next cruises. We are back in Venice in May and hopefully will be luckier with the weather.

After dinner it was Andrew Skrimshire's second show, not quite a full house but well attended and another excellent performance. We finished the evening in the Crows Nest to watch the evening sail out of Venice. Miraculously by 9:30 p.m. the rain stopped for the first time all day.
There were announcements for 2 missing passengers and we were a little late departing but don't know whether they made it back to ship or not. It was quite a manoeuvre to back out from the berth and it was well past 10:30 p.m. before Oriana was sailing past St Marks square.

We have a sea day tomorrow but it will take most of the day to get far enough South before we find the sun again.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Monday 11 Sept. 2017 - Sea Day to Saranda, Albania
I went to the early morning exercise class and as the daylight arrived the weather didn't look promising but at least it wasn't raining.

After breakfast I went on deck but it was too windy to be comfortable.

I checked the Horizon newspaper and booked the Champagne tasting which was just before lunch. There were only 5 of us and it was a very interesting talk. Donna the head wine steward really knew her champagne. We sampled 3 different Lanson champagnes and the glasses were all refilled. Cheese and biscuits were available for in between the tastings. A great way to spend a dull morning at sea.

Garry met me for lunch and by the time we finished the sun was out on the aft deck.

The third Formal night and it was Black & White night and the Peninsular Cocktail party. Lots more Champagne was consumed. Not quite the same quality as the tasting but quite acceptable. Well someone's got to do it.

We had a bottle of Billy Billy Shiraz with dinner so I think maybe an alcohol free day is needed or at least an alcohol free morning.

The evening entertainment was the Headliners show Reel to Reel in the theatre and the Black & White Ball in Harlequins.

Tomorrow we are in Saranda in Albania.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Tuesday 12 September 2017 - Saranda, Albania
Yes the sun is shining again and it was hot and sunny as I watched the Oceana anchoring in the bay. We were a further 200 yards or so away.

Just after 9 am there was an announcement that independents going ashore should do so now or wait a while as the trips would soon be departing. We decided to go for it and were by the harbour having a cold drink by 10 a.m.

There are 2 tender spots and a different entrance to each one. Hopefully no one will end up on the wrong ship tonight.

Saranda is still a very poor country and we came across many beggars some were young children. It is a steep walk to get out of the port area and once at the top of the hill there are concrete steps all of the way back down again to get onto the promenade walk way. This is very flat and goes right round the bay through a local market area. Silver appears to be a good buy here and I bought a couple of cocktail rings. Everything is sold by weight.

We stopped for a cold drink at a local bar right by the harbour, the drinks are very inexpensive, they took Euros or their own currency which is Leks and the Wi Fi was very good. The waiters were very friendly and because it was by the harbour it was extremely busy. We stayed for a couple of drinks then left there and wandered around the shopping area before heading to the bar we had found last year with a terrace overlooking the sea. We were disappointed to find it had closed down and was deserted but then realised it had just moved a couple of buildings down and still had the lovely Terrace. We stayed there for a while watching the world go by and the tenders crossing backwards and forwards to the ship.

We headed back about 1 p.m as I wanted to get a bed on the aft deck to get some sun. They have put many more tables and chairs on the aft deck now which means beds are in short supply, although there are plenty on the upper sun decks.

Once again I heard lots of moans from passengers that there was nothing there to see or do. They moan about going back to the same ports year after year and moan again when offered a new destination that it isn't what they wanted. We like to immerse ourselves in the different cultures and try to talk to the locals and the bar staff about their experiences. We are back here again next year and are already looking forward to it.

It was Manuel Martinez in the theatre. I swear this guy stalks us. It was a lovely night on deck so we went to the sunset bar and listened to music under the stars.

Tomorrow is another new port for us Cephalonia in Greece.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

You must have tendered a distance from where we tendered on Oceana. When we were there t'other week it was only a short stroll to the prom - along the road and then down some steps
Meg
x

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Morning all, more from Sue :

Wednesday 13 September 2017 Cephalonia, Greece
The clocks were changed again over night and we were 2 hours in front of UK time. This was our first time at this port and it was a very scenic sail into a beautiful harbour.

Another hot sunny day and we disembarked early to head for a beach. 10 Euros taxi ride to the top of a very steep road with a 200 metre walk down to a perfect beach with a bar, waiters serving the drinks at the beds, free Wi Fi and clear turquoise sea. What more could we want. Unfortunately the tranquility didn't last long when we were descended upon by the passengers who had booked the beach trip from the ship. We thought we were safe as the description had said 1/2 hour drive from port to beach so didn't expect to see them arrive here. The beach was big enough to cater for everyone and they were making a killing on renting out the beds. We thought the beer was pricey at 5 Euros for a small bottle of local beer but when we left to go into town it was the same price there.

We stayed a couple of hours, the sea was so clear if a little choppy getting in. I had my water shoes on as had been warned there were pebbles and shells under the water. I could have stayed there all day but we really wanted to see the town and more of the island so after using the showers and changing facilities which were all spotlessly clean we hiked it back up the steep hill to get a taxi into town. We didn't have long to wait as one pulled up to drop people off and was grateful for the fare back to town. Probably not as grateful as were to get out of the heat and into his air conditioned car. Only 6 Euros into town and P & O pax had paid approx £26 each to get to the same beach that had cost us 8 euros each. No beach chairs were included in their fare.

It was a lovely town area, with lots of souvenir shops and some traditional ones. We made some purchases, found a supermarket to stock up on cabin supplies then a bar for a very welcome but expensive beer. From here the walk back to the ship was about 3/4 of mile along the picturesque sea front. I really hope that we get to come back here soon. I think this is my favourite Greek Island.

The Headliners performed another fabulous show 'Destination Dance' in the theatre and as it was a lovely clear night we went outside to enjoy music under the stars. It was much busier than last night and a great atmosphere out there.

Tomorrow we have a much needed relaxing sea day.

Return to “Oriana Cruises 2017”