A815 - Scandinavia and Russia 9 Jun - 23 Jun 2018

Azura cruises in 2018

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

A815 - Scandinavia and Russia 9 Jun - 23 Jun 2018

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Bullets have now been bitten and we're booked on this cruise. It will be interesting for us going on a big cruise ship for the first time, and doing Freedom Dining for the first time. Already all the cheapest cabins have been taken so it's costing a bit more than we'd reckoned, but it's a cruise we're anxious to do, so what the heck!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: A815 - Scandinavia and Russia 9 Jun - 23 Jun 2018

Post by Boris+ »

Alan - firstly best wishes for 2017.

Here's hoping that you have a fabulous time on this cruise - I don't know exactly what your itinerary is, but I hope you'll get to Talin which is charming beyond, and also maybe Stockholm - which has a romantic sailout!

Have a truly great time.

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Many thanks, Em. Yes, Tallin and Stockholm are two of the ports.

All good wishes for the New Year!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Happy New Year Alan, and a good choice of cruise for 2018. I did reviews of both our Baltic cruises and they are on here, but under the Celebrity section.
We did the same ports as yours except for Travemunde and Skagen, the german port looks very similar to Warnemudnde which we did, and if the weather is kind it should be a good resort to wander around.
The sail out from Stockholm is beautiful and I would recommend dinner in Epicurean that night and hope the weather is good enough to dine outside and enjoy the 3 hour trip through the archipelago.
I imagine you will be doing your own research nearer the time but don't hesitate to ask any questions you have.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Many thanks, Em. Yes, Tallin and Stockholm are two of the ports.

All good wishes for the New Year!
In Tallin we did a quiet but hugely enjoyable walk into the town and up the hill to a lovely viewing point. In Stockholm we walked from the Opera to the Vasa Museum - and that was absolutely unforgettable.

We were on QE for our Baltic cruise - and had a wonderful sail out from Stockholm, we had a balcony at the aft of the ship (with a nice corner in it), and we had really lovely views.

Have a great time.

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Many thanks, John, and a very happy new year to you and your dear lady.

We have now read your reports with great interest and now intend doing the buffet for dinner on the night we leave Stockholm to take advantage of the sailaway, which others have commented on but omitting the 4.5 hour bit! It's going to be a long 18 months until we depart for Southampton :(
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

we don't have a 2018 brochure, so can't check, but when we went to Stockholm we didn't sail in - we were tendered in and bussed from Nynashalm (sp?)
Meg
x

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Boris+ wrote:

Here's hoping that you have a fabulous time on this cruise - I don't know exactly what your itinerary is, but I hope you'll get to Talin which is charming beyond, and also maybe Stockholm - which has a romantic sailout!

Have a truly great time.
I agree with Boris, SS - Tallin, both old and new, is lovely and the Stockholm sailout is special and then to top it all, of course, you have St Petersburg, which is one of the most spectacular destinations in the world, done properly. Well worth a good deal of research and planning - you have 18 months in which to do it. :)
Last edited by kaymar on 02 Jan 2017, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

kaymar wrote:
Boris+ wrote:

Have a truly great time.
I agree with Boris, SS - Tallin, both old and new, is lovely and the Stockholm sailout is special and then to top it all, of course, you have St Petersburg, which is one of the most spectacular destinations in the world, done properly. Well worth a good deal of research and planning - you have 18 months in which to do it. :)
We didn't like St P's at all - the weather was scorchio, and the mozzies had possibly been on steroids! But apart from that, the tangible and visible contrast between the gold and glitz of the 'state approved' buildings and areas and the ugly dirty dingy state of 'everyday life' was obvious.

We really thought that the money we had spent for a tour around the Hermitage was a bit waste of money, because there simply wasn't any freedom to look at the things which interested us, and the rooms we were route marched through were of no interest at all. However, our Hermitage visit was an evening one, and the concert we attended there included some well known and much liked favourites.

We were advised by our Captain in an announcement that nobody should try and stand on the quayside and take photos - and true enough when people went ahead an did just that we witnessed them having their camera destroyed on the quayside (the guards smashed it on the ground and stamped on it), and the passengers involved were kept in a small room all day long! There had been 'unrest' in Moscow, and instead of the ship staying overnight, when we got back from our evening excursion we were rushed onto the ship, and then within 30 minutes the ship left port. There were two other ships in port - Arcadia and Mein Schiff II - and they both were in a big hurry to get out of port and not overnight either.

The only other thing I can recall in St P's (apart from the lack of freedom to wonder and photograph at will), was that any and all traders were immensely talented at mental arithmetic and could convert currencies almost instantly and without using calculators - and that washroom facilities left a heck of a lot to be desired. I think that mostly 'what was desirable' would have been the option of actually flushing a loo, hand washing facilities, and a lack of 'local aromas' in the loo!!! Enough said.

We would love to do another Baltic cruise - however, we will organise our time so that when in St P's we simply stay on the ship.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Ah, well, it takes all sorts, doesn't it? I have to say that that is the first (very) negative report I have seen of a visit to St Petersburg, but you must take it as you find it.

As I have posted elsewhere, we hired a private tour company to take us to the places we wanted to go and see the things we wanted to see from a comprehensive list of options and enjoyed a superb two days. We used TJ Travel, who were excellent, but there are a number of others.

It is a beautiful, historic city in which we experienced none of the problems which Boris encountered. Yes, you have to obey their rules but we had no difficulty in doing so.

Go for it, Silver Shiney!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I would also echo the above.

We an excellent two days in St Petes going where we wanted, seeing what we wanted, taking photos of what we wanted, "fast tracking" all the queues. No issue whatsoever with seeing what we wanted in the Hermitage - although they do say that if you were to spend five seconds looking at every item you would be there for 10 years (or something along those lines)

It is definitely worth doing a "private" tour and some of the private tour companies will match you up with others to make a group of six, or so, which will reduce the cost.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

The only thing which we thought we might like to see if we ever found ourselves in St P again was the building with the display of a room adorned with amber - until we discovered that what is there now isn't the original, so that's now not on our list.

Not to worry, missing out on going into town in St P can work brilliantly for us - we can use the time as rest days and pack loads of activities and walking into other ports on an itinerary.

Hey ho - it's going to be some time in the future though, maybe if and when we get a bit older.

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Thanks, Kaymar, we certainly will, especially as we've just realised that the cruise comes just before our 40th anniversary

Thanks, David, a private company indeed looks like the way to go!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Can't help but agree with last two posts. I've done the Baltic cruise three times and enjoyed every one. In fact I would gladly do another. There is so much to see and do in St Petes,in particular the Hermitage , Peterhof, Catherine Palace, Peter and Paul fortress and the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral where you can see the tombs of most of the famous Russian composers. Incidentally, in the Peter and Paul Cathedral you can see the resting place of the Romanovs having been reinterred there.I have never had any problems taking photographs at any of the major sites, even the old KGB building.
Look forward to your cruise.

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Thanks Colin :thumbup:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

colin parry wrote:
even the old KGB building.
only after our coach had done a very dubious u turn outside did the guide tell us it was the KGB building!
Meg
x

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Maybe the authorities were having a hissy-fit when we were there due to the 'unrest' in Moscow (riots and protests etc). It was nobody's fault, nobody was to blame from our point of view - and anyway we didn't have any excursions booked for the following day.

If you haven't been there before, you must go there, and see it all for yourself.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We have been on two Baltic cruises (Azura 2010 & Arcadia 2013) and enjoyed them both very much, lots to see and do. Definitely not boring.
We did take more types of clothing to be prepared in case of bad weather but luckily for us we had hot sunny weather both cruises so had the opportunity to sit on deck after being ashore.
We used P&O excursions in St Petersburg and had no problems with anything while there. Some of the other ports we done as a DIY
In fact we're going again on Arcadia to the Baltic's in June. Looking forward to it, still much to see in all the ports :D

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

The "Scandinavia & Russia" heading threw me. It's a Baltic cruise, isn't it ? Are you just trying to posh it up ?!

Anyways, it is a great trip and I am sure you will love it. Plenty of free advice going if you need it !

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

qbman1 wrote:
The "Scandinavia & Russia" heading threw me. It's a Baltic cruise, isn't it ? Are you just trying to posh it up ?!

Anyways, it is a great trip and I am sure you will love it. Plenty of free advice going if you need it !
Only going by what P&O called it, boss!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We thought the Vasa museum in Stockholm was absolutely fascinating. We caught the tram out there but it's within easy walking distance and a pleasant walk too.

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Looks good, Foxy. Not sure SWMBO would be up for it though...
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 »

Been on a Baltic twice with P&O...loved them both.

One was in June just gone and the weather was a bit indifferent but very warm in St Petes with no mozzies.
We also went in September and the weather was lovely until the last sea day again no mozzies.

Enjoy

RB

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

You can also reach the Vasa Museum, a must see, by boat from very near to where the ship docks.

We also enjoyed, on day 2, some free time in St. P's, albeit on a ships tour, thus avoiding having to avail ourselves of individual visas.

We enjoyed what we do, as often as possible when ashore, lunch or afternoon tea at a good hotel. In this case afternoon tea was enjoyed at the Belmond Grand Hotel Europe, just off Nevskiy Prospect, near to the coach drop off point.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I read the opening post with great sadness, having just found out about Alan.
We have booked the cruise just after this one (will be our first sailing from Southampton) so was interested to read any thoughts on a similar schedule.

Return to “Azura Cruises 2018”