X801

Oriana cruises in 2018

Topic author
billy_beemer
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

X801

Post by billy_beemer »

We have been informed Oriana will be drydocked for 21 days during Jan for technical work. Our cruise due to sail 6/1/18 is no more.......

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: X801

Post by Kenmo1 »

I would be absolutely gutted at such short notice of a cancellation of a 50 night cruise and to only be offered a 5% discount off another cruise just seems insulting. I feel so sorry for you.

Maureen.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

This type of cruise is the cruise of a lifetime for many people, often booked 18 months in advance and to have it cancelled at six weeks notice is completely gutting.

These works they are doing must be considered urgent and essential - I suppose that there was going to be the possibility that Oriana would break down mid Atlantic, or go wrong in port so that the cruise itinerary would have to be changed, which would be disappointing.

But having said that, I totally understand how deflated everyone must be feeling right now. For this type of cruise, an offer of 5% off another ruise does seem paltry.

I hope you get a chance to do a similar cruise another time, Billy
Gill

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Kenmo1 wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 20:56
I would be absolutely gutted at such short notice of a cancellation of a 50 night cruise and to only be offered a 5% discount off another cruise just seems insulting. I feel so sorry for you.

Maureen.

I've just had a look through some of the entries on PO Facebook and it looks like the 5% mentioned will be 5% of the cost of the cancelled Oriana cruise which could be quite high. The Peninsular points people would have earned on the original cruise will also be protected. It still wouldn't stop me being really disappointed though. It looked a pretty amazing cruise.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Disappointing of course, but sadly indicative of the ageing Oriana. She's becoming increasingly unreliable and a three week dry docking for technical issues is more than a quick oil change. Hopefully what they're doing will cure whatever has caused frequent issues recently.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I think I know how you feel, take the positives and move on.

In our case P&O axed all four of the Argentine ports on our 23 day South American World Segment Cruise in 2013. We cancelled with a full refund but no compo. It was a very special year for us and so after much huffing and puffing we booked two riverboat cruises to replace our long awaited cruise on Adonia ... we now prefer Riverboat cruising to sea cruising.

ps .... Hello and welcome :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
billy_beemer
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by billy_beemer »

Though disappointed we move on without P&O.....To rub salt into the wound we received a cancellation invoice today charging $5091 for cancelling the cruise! They assured me after a telephone call, the deduction was in error.......all monies will be refunded etc."That was the way the system worked, we follow up with the correct invoice later". Now we know.

Looking to the future we cruise with Saga in December, to date sevice has been suberb. I will post a review on return.

Return to “Oriana Cruises 2018”