X909 Around Britain cruise June 19

Cruises on Oriana in 2019

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

X909 Around Britain cruise June 19

Post by Whynd1 »

The holiday information booklet has arrived this morning for this cruise.
Wont be long now.
Have booked some excursions through the cruise personaliser, was suprised how expensive they were for an around britain cruise.

Lindsey

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: X909 Around Britain cruise June 19

Post by Whynd1 »

When this cruise was booked some 18 months ago we didn't know that Oriana would be leaving the fleet.
E mail from P and O today letting me know of some of the special things that will be happening.

I quote
Evening deck parties with a special cake
Celebration dinner with a complimentary glass of sparkling wine. Commemoration menu
Officer hosted tables at dinner
Heritage quiz
Nice to see a special effort being by P and O.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Don't forget to collect your souvenir cruet, duvet, tv and towels.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 16:14
Don't forget to collect your souvenir cruet, duvet, tv and towels.
Lindsey, please leave some things for us to 'collect' on the final cruise. I don't want to get on Oriana and find the whole ship has been stripped bare by souvenir hunters.

Have a lovely time.

Maureen

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Been trying to decide what to take for this cruise. These sort of cruises are the worst to pack for as you really need to take a bit of everything.
We are going up as far as Faroe Islands,Kirkwall and Lerwick.
Couple of stops in Southern Ireland and Guernsey.
Lindsey

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 15:46
Been trying to decide what to take for this cruise. These sort of cruises are the worst to pack for as you really need to take a bit of everything.
Aren't these just the sort of problems that you like to have? :lol: :lol: :lol: If it is too much of a problem I could be persuaded to go on the cruise for you :D

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Whynd1 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 15:46
We are going up as far as Faroe Islands,Kirkwall and Lerwick.
Couple of stops in Southern Ireland and Guernsey.
Lindsey
When I've been on British Isles cruises, I haven't finalised my packing list until literally the day before I've sailed.

I monitor weather reports for the entire period of the cruise, and make a judgement based on that.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

And then add a pacamac and wellies!

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Rather like the Fjords you have to be prepared for anything, never done an 'Around Britain' but it does appeal I just wish they would embark from ports which are more convenient than Southampton ( such as Liverpool )

Have a great time Lindsey .
Jo

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

My Round Britain trip was in July 2014 and from what I remember we had the full range of weather so take a bit of everything Lindsey - have a great trip :thumbup:
Janis

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Kitchen sink comes to mind.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Lindsey, Have a look at Suekersh's report for June 2018 Oriana Review to understand how much the weather can vary. We were also on that cruise and I had to buy Ken a raincoat in Inverness as we hadn't packed one for him. To add insult to injury, everywhere we went and I mentioned the poor weather to people in the shops they all said you should have been here for the last few weeks, it was almost too hot and we didn't know what to do with ourselves to keep cool. Grrrr !

You will have a lovely time despite the weather. I don't think we always appreciate the wonderful variety of scenery that we have in the UK.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

We have cruised a couple of times in the western isles and whilst you can have days of rain ( yes, we’ve had that) the key feature of the weather is the rapid changes. Last year ( Sept- yes, we were intimate friends with storm Ali) I took a panoramic photo on my phone of Skye from Raasay and as you pan round you see hail, sun, rain and more sun all in the one shot. Thin layers & a waterproof in a small daysack would seem to be the order of the day...oh & don’t forget the factor 30 & a cap in a side pocket, just in case.
Last edited by Ranchi on 10 Jun 2019, 09:37, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Thank you Ranchi, yes I have purchased a good quality mac in a bag. I'm expecting a lot of rain.
Thank you all for your comments.
I prefer the med cruises but this is a special one as travelling with two friends one of which is celebrating a rather special birthday. So some surprises may be in store. May include some bubbly.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Thank you for the tip Maureen, have re read the report. Rain does seem to crop up a lot.
Have taken the recommendation of Da Nello for lunch in Guernsey.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

When we did a similar trip a couple of summers ago we had fantastic weather for the first half - the Highland Games at Braemar couldn't have had better weather. However, when we got to John O'Groats the rain was coming down in sheets - several of us didn't even get off the coach. Then in Oban things had cleared up but it was raining again in Belfast so yes, prepare for all eventualities!

Carole

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Hope you have a great trip.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

The weather here today has been warm sunshine (t-Shirt nice!) until twenty minutes ago and now its pouring down with rain!! As others have said layers and waterproof jacket just in case. Have a good cruise :)

I remember the times we've been to Norway (3) first time wall to wall sunshine, next time we couldn't see a thing for rain and mist! next time mixed is the best way to describe it ;)

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Good morning from a sunny Oriana. Sea day sat on the prom deck this morning and Mr sun is making an appearance. Cruise going well and the sea state is slight.
A lot of very very elderly passengers on board this cruise. Formal night tonight with the chain de rossiters dinner. So many loyalty passengers that each tier is having two lunches.

For cast for Faroese tomorrow is rain.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Unable to anchor and tender for Guernsey today due to high winds. Then a medical emergency arose and we are now back in Southampton. We will be disembarked as usual in the morning.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Have a safe journey home
Gill

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Sorry to hear you weren’t able to get into Guernsey. Have a safe journey home.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Home safe and sound from a lovely cruise. The ports of call were excellent specially the Faroe Islands.
Will write a short report in the week, one thing though, the last special 5 cruises only the heritage quiz appeared, not the officer hosted tables or the fizz and cake. We did have fizz and a hosted table at the loyalty lunch as usual.

Lindsey

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Whynd1 wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 18:39
not the officer hosted tables or the fizz and cake
When we first started cruising on Oriana back in 2000 we were very lucky twice to get placed on officer hosted tables which we quite enjoyed because they provided the wine most nights from their allowance. It seemed the normal thing then. Great for us as we were real cheapskates ( still are) just booking the cheapest cabins possible and getting our table drinks provided. What not to like !!! I can remember one officer was Adrian Archer and another one was called John Thorne, I think. It only happened to us when we were on Oriana, not on any of the other ships we went on. Possibly some of the cruisers who went on PO before 2000 can say whether it did happen regularly on other ships as well but it was a nice touch. We actually keep in touch on Facebook and at Christmas with 2 of the couples who also shared the table with us - perhaps the wine helped.

Glad the holiday turned out well Lindsey. Looking forward to your report.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

When I opened my post yesterday, the holiday information brochure had arrived for our Baltic cruise on Arcadia in September.

Happy days.

Return to “Oriana Cruises 2019”