From Arnold Donald President and CEO, Carnival Corporation PLC To the members of our Carnival family, I have been hesi

A feed from the P&O Facebook page

Topic author
Official Autopost
Bot
Bot

From Arnold Donald President and CEO, Carnival Corporation PLC To the members of our Carnival family, I have been hesi

Post by Official Autopost »

From Arnold Donald President and CEO, Carnival Corporation PLC To the members of our Carnival family, I have been hesitant to join in with the many executives who have issued communique knowing that any words are far too inadequate in the face of the events that have occurred in the U.S. over the past several days. We have painfully witnessed the tragic deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and others, followed by frustrated, passionate protestors exercising their rights of freedom of speech, unfortunately followed by vandalism and looting perpetrated by a few - all in the context of a higher than normal level of pent up tension and anxiety exacerbated by the global pandemic, stay at home, shelter in place, loss of jobs and income, and an uncertain future. Clearly these are not the best of times. So what can we do? And I ask what can I do? Not just words but actions that, in my own small way, help us to a brighter day? Racism is real. Not just here in the U.S. but around the world. Injustice and brutality are real. They’ve been with us forever despite many efforts to eradicate both. I grew up in a segregated South in the U.S., and like others at the time, I witnessed and suffered injustices. I have a family member with Bipolar Disorder and at times when elevated, can come across as belligerent, at perennial risk as a young black adult of finding himself in a bad situation that could lead to severe or even fatal consequences. And I have family members who are in law enforcement and put their lives on the line every day. I’m certain that many of you have similar circumstances. I make certain that my bipolar family member is introduced to the law enforcement officers in the communities that he is in. I make certain that they see him as a human being, as a complete person, albeit one with the unique challenge of suffering with bipolar disorder. I make certain that I remind my law enforcement family members to remember their purpose and their training – all of their training. And of course out of love and concern for them, I hope they don’t hesitate when they face a truly threatening situation. In the hope of catalysing even the smallest of change, I share with my neighbours and my professional colleagues the incidents of racial profiling and biased accusations that my family members and I have experienced on far too many occasions. And through the greatest platform that I have available to me to effect change, as CEO of this corporation, I want to provide the support and the motivation for us to build on our foundation of being the greatest travel and leisure company in the world, bringing millions of people together every year of all nationalities, ethnicities, backgrounds and experiences so they can joyfully discover what they have in common and learn to celebrate their differences, rather than fear them - while at the same time providing an economic multiplier that contributes to a higher quality of life through the power of inclusion. I thank each of you for the part you play in making this possible and I encourage you to honour our core values expressed in our vision statement… “We are committed to a positive and just corporate culture, based on inclusion and the power of diversity. We operate with integrity, trust and respect for each other… an exemplary corporate citizen, leaving the people and the places we touch even better.” Despite these times, and despite what seems to be far too tedious and far too slow progress, collectively we are capable of powerful change for the better and I have no doubt that if we double down on our efforts and stay the course, together we will create a brighter future. The only way through is forward.

(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/179746530781_10158216921075782

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: From Arnold Donald President and CEO, Carnival Corporation PLCTo the members of our Carnival family,I have been hesi

Post by poole boy »

sorry but that is no excuse for the pictures shown on television of people rioting looting in shops and setting shops on fire in civilised society people do not do these things.
if these people protested properly and peacefully I would support you all the way but not with the disgraceful behaviour we are seeing at present

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: From Arnold Donald President and CEO, Carnival Corporation PLCTo the members of our Carnival family,I have been hesi

Post by Stephen »

I'm not even going to attempt to read it. It'll do my eyes in.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

He and his Corporation should restrict their concerns / propaganda to the Country where the problem resides. By exporting it to us there is a distinct risk of copy catting by rent-a-mob which is something we can well do without during this very difficult period. Such demonstrations could also result in the wider spread of this deadly virus.

That is not to imply that I have no sympathy regarding the underlying problem.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

poole boy wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 08:07
sorry but that is no excuse for the pictures shown on television of people rioting looting in shops and setting shops on fire in civilised society people do not do these things.
if these people protested properly and peacefully I would support you all the way but not with the disgraceful behaviour we are seeing at present
A lot of the disgraceful behaviour is coming from the American police. They are out of control.

There was a very disturbing clip shown today. An elderly man approached the police - it looked as if he had a police helmet in his hand, and was returning it to them. A policeman violently pushed him back and the man fell backwards to the ground. He cracked his head on the pavement and lay still, you could see the blood pooling under his head. One policeman bent down as if to help him, but he was pulled back by a colleague, then the rest of the police walked on by, leaving the man bleeding in on the floor.

The man was eventually taken to hospital. It has been reported that he’s 75, and now very poorly. This was in Buffalo, and 2 officers have been suspended without pay.

This is not an isolated incident, either. It’s completely sickening - and as you say, doesn’t belong in a civilised society. It’s turned into a dystopian nightmare
Gill

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

sorry but I can not agree with you the pictures we have seen are of shops with every window broken if not on fire but with people fighting over what they are looting surely this is no way for people to act in a civilised society.
what is the point in destroying the places they live in to try to help there cause surely much better to do this in a non violent way thus proving themselves the better person
Last edited by poole boy on 05 Jun 2020, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I was going to post the video for you to look at, but it turns my stomach when I see it, so I decided not to - I don’t want to spread images like that.

I agree that looting and rioting is wrong and totally unacceptable. However, most people, when they see footage of some of the behaviour of the police, are truly horrified. It’s brutality on a massive scale, mostly against passive people who aren’t resisting. If they are like this on camera, I shudder to think what they are doing off camera.

It’s easy to look the other way, and in many ways I wish that I hadn’t seen what I have seen, but it’s very sinister and frightening.
Gill

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

There is obviously a systemic problem within some of the police forces in the US but I also believe that the US gun laws go hand in hand with the aggressive nature of the police. If you are a police office approaching, or being approached, by another person then in your mind must be the thought that they are carrying a gun of some description and therefore you need to protect yourself. In no way do I condone the behaviour in that video but can understand the first police officer - what is totally inexcusable is the behaviour of the rest of them who just walked past him.

An interesting snippet on the news the other night was that it takes longer to train to be a barber in the US than it does to train to be a police officer!

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

For those like me who didn’t know what Gill's Dystopian meant

What are some reasons for a potential dystopian future?

Generally speaking, the thing that creates dystopias is the attempt to create utopias. Trying to reshape human nature in order to create some vision of a perfect society requires a constant threat of violence against dissidents who do not fit the utopian vision.
More specifically, anything which requires that people conform to some vision of social justice is the most likely cause of a dystopia in the foreseeable future. Anyone who has any beliefs or attitudes which can be labeled as “homophobic”, or “islamophobic” or “fascist” or whatever, is being attacked by the advocates of “Social Justice”. Anything that someone considers offensive or politically incorrect has to be fought with violence or even the law.

Human beings are diverse in their ideas. Whether they acquired those ideas through objective reasoning, indoctrination, confirmation bias, or any other method, rationally valid or not, they have those beliefs. Social or legal pressure will not get everyone to fall in line with the current politically correct narrative. Some might comply, but there will always be those who will stand their ground, believing, correctly or not, that they have the truth.

Whether they are right or not is irrelevant. If you try to use social, political, or legal pressure to change them, it is wrong. And you will never stampo them out. You will need to continually keep the pressure on, scrutinizing every statement or action they make, making everyone afraid to voice a dissenting opinion. You will need your secret police, your mock trials, inquisitions and re-education camps, all hallmarks of a dystopia.

Saulius Muliolis,

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Onelife wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 21:59

Generally speaking, the thing that creates dystopias is the attempt to create utopias. Trying to reshape human nature in order to create some vision of a perfect society requires a constant threat of violence against dissidents who do not fit the utopian vision.
More specifically, anything which requires that people conform to some vision of social justice is the most likely cause of a dystopia in the foreseeable future. Anyone who has any beliefs or attitudes which can be labeled as “homophobic”, or “islamophobic” or “fascist” or whatever, is being attacked by the advocates of “Social Justice”. Anything that someone considers offensive or politically incorrect has to be fought with violence or even the law.

Human beings are diverse in their ideas. Whether they acquired those ideas through objective reasoning, indoctrination, confirmation bias, or any other method, rationally valid or not, they have those beliefs. Social or legal pressure will not get everyone to fall in line with the current politically correct narrative. Some might comply, but there will always be those who will stand their ground, believing, correctly or not, that they have the truth.

Whether they are right or not is irrelevant. If you try to use social, political, or legal pressure to change them, it is wrong. And you will never stampo them out. You will need to continually keep the pressure on, scrutinizing every statement or action they make, making everyone afraid to voice a dissenting opinion. You will need your secret police, your mock trials, inquisitions and re-education camps, all hallmarks of a dystopia.

Saulius Muliolis,
Thank you Keith, a very eloquent description of what might happen if we allow the liberal elite to iron out all their perceived flaws in human nature, excellent.
Last edited by towny44 on 06 Jun 2020, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

towny44 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 09:28
Onelife wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 21:59

Saulius Muliolis,
Thank you Keith, a very eloquent description of what might happen if we allow the liberal elite to iron out all their perceived flaws in human nature, excellent.
Thank you John. :) ....but we should also remember that there are many variants of liberalism, many of which try and keep a balance in society and help stop the conservative right from getting above themselves.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Onelife wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 10:44
Thank you John. :) ....but we should also remember that there are many variants of liberalism, many of which try and keep a balance in society and help stop the conservative right from getting above themselves.
That's not possible Keirh, one nation conservatism will always keep the hard right in its place, far better than any liberal dogma.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Return to “Facebook Feed”