In light of the evolving COVID-19 situation, our voluntary pause in operations, and in line with the latest advice from

A feed from the P&O Facebook page

Topic author
Official Autopost
Bot
Bot

In light of the evolving COVID-19 situation, our voluntary pause in operations, and in line with the latest advice from

Post by Official Autopost »

In light of the evolving COVID-19 situation, our voluntary pause in operations, and in line with the latest advice from ABTA, we have amended our temporary flexible booking policy. This new policy is applicable to all guests due to travel with us before 1 September 2020. Please click here for more information, http://bit.ly/3b622Yk

(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/179746530781_10157948804070782

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: In light of the evolving COVID-19 situation, our voluntary pause in operations, and in line with the latest advice f

Post by towny44 »

It looks as though P&O are trying to avoid paying refunds, I thought that under the package travel legislation that full refunds had to be paid out if the travel organiser cancels the holiday?
The message says its been agreed with ABTA, but still sounds illegal.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: In light of the evolving COVID-19 situation, our voluntary pause in operations, and in line with the latest advice f

Post by Whynd1 »

Mmm
It does seem like they are trying not to pay passengers refund. I have applied for a refund as my cruise R006 was cancelled. 45 days they are saying it may take. Saga are refunding their holidays in just 24 hours.
I already had 2 other cruises booked so was not really looking to book another. May move the October one as full balance due at end of June and I cannot see that the situation will have been resolved by then. Also have a Warners weekend to sort ot for July as payment for that is due in April.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

If P&O cancel a cruise, their own terms and conditions which form the basis of the contract, says that they must refund in full, if that's what the customer wants. Also, the package travel regulations say that they must refund if they can't provide the holiday.

I notice that P&O changed their COVD19 policy on the 19th March, and it's not as attractive as originally announced, and makes no mention of the customer's right to cancel. People have been going loopy on both Twitter and Facebook, and are also anxious because it's only cruises up to 11th April that have been cancelled, whereas it's clear that cruises will not continue for several months, if not longer

I suppose P&O want to hang on to as much money for as long as they can, but it's really upsetting customers.

When this is all over (whenever that will be) I think that the cruising landscape will be very different. I've loved my cruises over the last 19 years, but I'm going to be thinking very carefully when it's time to pay the balance of my next cruise. I'd rather lose the deposit, than have to go through the angst that some people are experiencing right now.

My friends are due to cruise in June. They chose not to move their cruise, but take the £600 OBC that they were offered, and went ahead and paid their balance. I'm not sure that was the right thing to do, but time will tell
Gill

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Gill W wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 15:37
I'm going to be thinking very carefully when it's time to pay the balance of my next cruise
Why will that be any different to any other form of holiday?

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

david63 wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 18:50
Gill W wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 15:37
I'm going to be thinking very carefully when it's time to pay the balance of my next cruise
Why will that be any different to any other form of holiday?
Because a cruise is a closed community where viruses can spread easily. This won’t go away completely until there’s a vaccine. As my next cruise is in March 2021, the virus will still be out there. If I haven’t had it by then, I wouldn’t want to put myself in harms way.

I’d prefer a holiday cottage somewhere quiet, where i could keep my distance, if I wish to.

Also, I’ve seen how quickly things can change, so I feel differently about long cruises far from home.

It’s made me question how I feel about cruising
Gill

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

I agree with Gill, look how many times you come off a ship particularly Arcadia with a hacking cough which is difficult to shift. If a ship has had the virus on it how do we know that it has been sanitised to the degree that it can’t reinvent itself. Too little is known about it at present... just my view.
The pesky scarfaced pirate

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Gill W wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 19:06
I’d prefer a holiday cottage somewhere quiet, where i could keep my distance, if I wish to.

Also, I’ve seen how quickly things can change, so I feel differently about long cruises far from home.

It’s made me question how I feel about cruising

My thoughts exactly, Gill.

Maureen

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Also, I wouldn’t want to catch it, and inadvertently pass it on to someone else, especially as many passengers are in the most vulnerable group.

Sadly, I think cruising will be different for quite a while, and may never be back to what we have known. Which I find to be very sad.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

There are only so many and you would possibly struggle to get a booking. Such cottages in our neck of the woods are, in many cases, being taken off the market as they do not wish to encourage people to make unnecessary journeys during this difficult time nor do they want folk from infected parts to infect our local villages nor to make it even harder for aged and vulnerable locals to get provisions in the few and far between village shops. The pubs of course are shut. Basically you wouldn't be welcome.

You would however be most welcome in 2021 assuming we have the all clear by then

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

You are absolutely correct in your thinking Mob.......There are areas in the country which are unaffected with some which have small pockets of infection ....diagnose, treat and contain within each country/county is the way to tackle this problem........only essential travel across boarders should be allowed. As they clear each area we will eventually get back to the epicentre which seems to be London........contain and track back is the way to go.
Last edited by Onelife on 22 Mar 2020, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Manoverboard wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 11:03

There are only so many and you would possibly struggle to get a booking. Such cottages in our neck of the woods are, in many cases, being taken off the market as they do not wish to encourage people to make unnecessary journeys during this difficult time nor do they want folk from infected parts to infect our local villages nor to make it even harder for aged and vulnerable locals to get provisions in the few and far between village shops. The pubs of course are shut. Basically you wouldn't be welcome.

You would however be most welcome in 2021 assuming we have the all clear by then

:wave:
I obviously wouldn't be booking any holiday right now.

I was talking about the 'after'. When things return to the new normal. Coronavirus has made me think differently about cruising - I'm not so keen on the idea of being in a closed community. I think I might prefer a bit of distance from crowds
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Onelife wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 11:20
You are absolutely correct in your thinking Mob.......There are areas in the country which are unaffected with some which have small pockets of infection ....diagnose, treat and contain within each country/county is the way to tackle this problem........only essential travel across boarders should be allowed. As they clear each area we will eventually get back to the epicentre which seems to be London........contain and track back is the way to go.
If borders are closed between areas, how would essential supplies get around the country?
Gill

Return to “Facebook Feed”