P&O Cruises extends pause in operations until 31 July 2020

A feed from the P&O Facebook page

Topic author
Official Autopost
Bot
Bot

P&O Cruises extends pause in operations until 31 July 2020

Post by Official Autopost »

Regrettably, P&O Cruises is extending its pause in operations up to and including 31 July 2020 as a result of the continued impact of COVID-19. With the current lockdown in place and government guidelines around the world advising against travel it is necessary to extend the pause in our operations. Here’s P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow with an update on the extension:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video. ... text=false

(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/179746530781_10158079453985782

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: P&O Cruises extends pause in operations until 31 July 2020

Post by Whynd1 »

I see that prices of cruises incteased yesterday. Have been looking at two and both had price increases.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

It's been pointed out to me that there is only a select booking option.
Interesting.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Whynd1 wrote: 24 Apr 2020, 11:54
It's been pointed out to me that there is only a select booking option.
Interesting.
That could account for the apparent increases, since the lowest price is usually headlined.
This might be the future way forward if in fact ships will not run at full capacity in future.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I see in this mornings Daily Telegraph Paul Ludlow is hoping to phase ships back into operation in August.

There will be stringent health checks and on board protocols.

Also in the finance section it mentions larger companies should only take weeks to process holiday refunds.
If after your timeline you have not received your payment it recommends you should take it up with your card provider, which is what I shall do next month if P and O dont get on with it.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The problem with putting in restrictions and protocols is if it's over done it will spoil the enjoyment of cruising and people just won't return, especially first time cruisers.

And to be honest, once we are over the pandemic the only restrictions should be making sure passengers wash their hands, especially when visiting the bathroom and hand sanitising where required. And If necessary carry out temperature checks when boarding and disembarking.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Stephen wrote: 02 May 2020, 12:40
The problem with putting in restrictions and protocols is if it's over done it will spoil the enjoyment of cruising and people just won't return, especially first time cruisers.

And to be honest, once we are over the pandemic the only restrictions should be making sure passengers wash their hands, especially when visiting the bathroom and hand sanitising where required. And If necessary carry out temperature checks when boarding and disembarking.
Good luck with that. It's never worked before. Give it 6 months from the end of lockdown and all the filthy slobs will have forgotten handwashing again.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

I’ll wager a lot have never bothered in the first place.
Mel

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 02 May 2020, 12:40
When we were on Ventura at the start of the Covid19 outbreak there were a lot more hand sanitisers around the ship, in places like the entrance to the theatre. I would make a guess that when cruising restarts there will be even more of them but as Merv says it is getting people to use them as some seem to think that they have a dispensation - especially if they have a walking stick!

It seemed strange when we got home because we had become so used to using the hand sanitisers everywhere on the ship that wherever we went we were looking for them, but none were to be found.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

It's down to P&O to get they're act together and enforce it. But how many times have we heard that phrase.

As for the loo's, I'd like to see the same system used as Celebrity where they 'nearly' always have a staff member present in the wash area making sure passengers wash their hands before leaving.

I think security will need to be upped onboard as I can see allot of arguments and possible punch ups breaking out where some people are just too thick to realise that they are at fault when someone confronts them for poor hygiene practice.

Enjoy your cruise everyone :D

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The loos should all be locked ... it's not as though every passenger hasn't got an en-suite cabin :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 02 May 2020, 17:11
The loos should all be locked ... it's not as though every passenger hasn't got an en-suite cabin :angel:
I think I prefer Stephen's ideas more than yours Moby, and I am sure that P&O will be operating a much tighter ship, forgive the pun, when they restart cruising.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

When Saga had a norovirus outbreak before all this kicked off they had crew members stationed just outside the loos with a view of the wash basins sending people back in if they didn't use them.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

towny44 wrote: 02 May 2020, 17:22
Manoverboard wrote: 02 May 2020, 17:11
I think I prefer Stephen's ideas more than yours Moby, and I am sure that P&O will be operating a much tighter ship, forgive the pun, when they restart cruising.
I don’t think either Stephen’s or Mob’s idea’s are a solution because if they have to be instructed to wash their hands in the public loo’s then there’s a pretty good chance that they won’t be washing them in their cabins…that being said I suppose both suggestions would cut the chances of infection by half.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I suppose if you want to get down to the nitty gritty of this hygiene problem then a study should be conducted as to who is less likely to have the best hygiene…I know the answer but I’ll wait for the study before putting my head on the block on here.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 02 May 2020, 22:28
When Saga had a norovirus outbreak before all this kicked off they had crew members stationed just outside the loos with a view of the wash basins sending people back in if they didn't use them.
Fred Olsen did the same in January 2019. They picked the fiercest looking female staff for the ladies' loos and you couldn't leave without being doused in sanitiser.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

When all this kicked off we were on Azura and you could not get into any restaurant without being liberally dosed in hand sanitiser. I did not once see any passenger disagree with this treatment.

On previous cruises there were always some who said 'I have just ashed my hands' or 'I have delicate skin' - none of that nonsense was accepted on Azura. Hopefully they keep that process in place.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Kendhni wrote: 03 May 2020, 08:15
When all this kicked off we were on Azura and you could not get into any restaurant without being liberally dosed in hand sanitiser. I did not once see any passenger disagree with this treatment.

On previous cruises there were always some who said 'I have just ashed my hands' or 'I have delicate skin' - none of that nonsense was accepted on Azura. Hopefully they keep that process in place.
Washing hands is important, very important, but it will not stop some puppet coughing over you and potentially killing you.

Hardly a recipe to encourage cruising is it ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 03 May 2020, 08:15
When all this kicked off we were on Azura and you could not get into any restaurant without being liberally dosed in hand sanitiser.
The same was happening on Ventura but the best one was a chap on a mobility scooter drives up to the guy spraying the hand sanitiser, gets his dose of sanitiser and spreads it on his hands and then gets back hold of his scooter in exactly the same place his hands were before. This is an area that will need further action (assuming those with mobility issues will be cruising) - the cruise lines will need to be more proactive with the sanitising of mobility scooters and for that matter walking sticks, in fact anything that someone is carrying before they sanitise their hands.

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

As regards walking sticks then maybe a notice in the daily programme asking people not to put walking sticks on tables.

A highlighted health and hygiene section should be included on the programme.

Handbags on tables are a similar hazard. Often they are put on the floor then placed on the table.

Return to “Facebook Feed”