Get ready for the latest addition to the P&O Cruises family.

A feed from the P&O Facebook page

Topic author
Official Autopost
Bot
Bot

Get ready for the latest addition to the P&O Cruises family.

Post by Official Autopost »

Get ready for the latest addition to the P&O Cruises family… Iona’s sister ship is taking shape.

Over the coming months, we’ll bring you the latest updates on her build, starting in the new year when she’ll be given her name 🛳️

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video. ... text=false

(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/179746530781/p ... 052175782/

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Get ready for the latest addition to the P&O Cruises family.

Post by screwy »

Is one to believe that Carnival/P&O still have confidence in the cruising market or surely they would have cancelled the new build.?
Mel

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I imagine they have decided that there is likely to be an ongoing, and growing, demand for cruising, and since Meyer Werft are a major cruise ship builder, they do not want to sour their future relationship by cancelling any of the several new builds that MW are currently building.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It would be far too expensive to cancel.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

And it will be offset by flogging one or even both of the older smaller less economic ships.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Not a fan at all of the big ships so it will be a sad day if they get rid of yet another of the smaller ships without replacing them. It could spell an end to my cruising days with P&O.

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Same as foxy not at all a fan of the big ships we always preferred p&o until they started bringing out all the big ships so for 2021 we have booked arcadia and fred olsens Braemar,
and for 2022 cunards queen Victoria as we do not want to go on any ship much over 2500 people

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We thought that when Ventura and Azura were introduced.
But, on giving them a go, we enjoyed our holiday just as much.
We have not tried Britannia yet but I’d never say never without giving it a go.
Empty vessels .. and all that

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

barney wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 17:53
I agree with barney apart from the Britannia part which we are booked on in 2022

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 18:48
I agree with barney apart from the Britannia part which we are booked on in 2022
Big is beautiful as far as I am concerned when it comes to cruise ships. The big ones are the newest and they have much better accessible cabins and are far more wheelchair friendly than the older smaller ones.
If Iona's accessibility is anywhere near as good as the Celebrity Solstice class of ships, which were also built by Meyer Werft, then I will be a very happy cruiser.
John

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

towny 44
Good luck to you if you want to go on this size of ship but we do not so the only time we would go with p&o again is if they had something we fancied on Aurora,
I asked my doctor about the larger ships and he said the risk of medical problems with that many people onboard would mean he would not go on them at any price and that I also should not also.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

poole boy wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 11:47
he said the risk of medical problems with that many people onboard would mean he would not go on them at any price and that I also should not also.
The counter argument to that is that the bigger ships have far better, bigger and more modern medical facilities than the smaller ships, which hopefully none of us will ever need.

I would suggest that it is somewhat irresponsible, possibly unethical, for any doctor to say you should not go on a particular ship unless he is prepared to give you a medical certificate to that effect.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I got Noro during a pandemic on Aurora and a virus that consigned me to the bathroom for 18 days on a mid sized Celebrity ship .... the ships are safe enough, it's the dirty passengers who are the problem.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Medical issues would not be the concern for us. Spirit of Discovery was plagued with Noro early this year and she has only 1,000 passengers. We like both large and small ships. Small for intimacy. Large for the wider variety of entertainment and facilities. We will certainly go back on Spirit, or her sister, and we're on Iona in 2022.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

towny44 wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 19:07
david63 wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 18:48
Big is beautiful as far as I am concerned when it comes to cruise ships. The big ones are the newest and they have much better accessible cabins and are far more wheelchair friendly than the older smaller ones.
If Iona's accessibility is anywhere near as good as the Celebrity Solstice class of ships, which were also built by Meyer Werft, then I will be a very happy cruiser.
As far as l'm concerned, the bigger the ship the less it resembles a ship.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I like a bit of both.
Aurora is our next choice of cruise ship. I don’t mind the larger ships but find the larger they get the smaller the cabins become.

Sardine tins and Me don’t mix.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 07:55
I like a bit of both.
Aurora is our next choice of cruise ship. I don’t mind the larger ships but find the larger they get the smaller the cabins become.

Sardine tins and Me don’t mix.
Cabin size is not a problem for us Stephen, it's about the only benefit we have from cruising now. But from watching videos of AidaNova and Costa Smeralda, I think your initial worries about Balcony cabin sizes may have been overstated. They are towards the narrower size with the bed head indents to give you room to walk past the bed, but they are quite long and the balconies look to be deeper than those tiny ones on Britannia. I am also expecting that their bathrooms will be well specified, if they follow the Solstice class style you will find them far nicer than any currently on P&O ships.
For us the ship is now more of the destination, because we only go ashore for a short wander around and rarely take excursions, the accessible ones are very expensive and mainly panoramic sightseeing. So we want lots of entertainment venues and different restaurants and lounges, which only the bigger ships can offer.
John

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

To be honest we’ve lost all interest in cruising and will probably end up losing a lot of money ( we had a large FCC from the last World Cruise but I just don’t want the worry or hassle - having lost 2 close family members to COVID I don’t want to take any risks - this time last year we were looking forward to travelling the world.....

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

well as a final comment on this subject I would certainly rather listen to my Doctor than some of the comments from posters on here, anyway we each have to pay for the sort of cruise and size of ship we want to cruise on the only thing I am sure about is that we do not have any interest in going on any ship with over 3000 passengers so will stick to what we like.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Having tried Ventura and Azura I didn't feel they were the ships for us. Apart from all the creaking and the split in the upper deck after a stormy night (Ventura) I found them quite claustrophobic due to many areas where there was no natural light. There seemed to be an emphasis on bars and the foyer area sating taken up so if you got yourself a coffee it was difficult to find anywhere to sit. The lack of a cinema was a disappointment for such a large ship. If you didn't arrive early you were sat behind a pillar and had to withstand the bustle of people passing through. The Sky screen did nothing for us.
Having said that we sailed on Cunard's QM2 and enjoyed it so it is not the size of ship but the design which appealed more to us. I would certainly go on QM2 again but as far as P&O are concerned we will stick with Aurora and Arcadia until such time they are retired. However it seems P&O are moving away from medium sized ships.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 12:30
However it seems P&O are moving away from medium sized ships.
But remember that the "old" big is now the "new" medium and the "old" medium is the "new" small!!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

At this rate I'll soon be down to the P&O coracle.

Return to “Facebook Feed”