Sue Kersh Live from Arcadia

Reports about cruises on Arcadia

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sue Kersh Live from Arcadia

Post by Suekersh »

Venice
A very early morning sail in. Breakfast was delivered at 7 am and we had saved our ½ bottle of champagne courtesy of P & O for this occasion. It was very windy until we passed the Lido wall then it was very pleasant with the sun just rising. We just loved having the views of both sides of Venice as we sailed through the Guidecca Canal and the aft cabin really came into its own. We made good progress and lots of smaller boats were were all around us.

We met our friends and disembarked for 9 am. P & O had laid on a Vaporetto shuffle boat to close to St Marks Square. The cost was £15 unlimited per person even for Select fare payers. In the past when we had a later stay we had gone to Piazza Roma and booked all day Vaperetta tickets but with a 4:30 back on board time it wasn't worth it.

We wandered around Venice looking at the Murano Glass and beautiful masks. We found small shops in alleyways we had never had time to explore on previous visits here. We stopped for a coffee on the Rialto bridge and watched the Gondoliers plying their trade. Lots of Japanese tourists around wearing their cameras as jewellery. We lunched in a small pizzeria off the beaten track where the owner showed us into his garden area. Never would we have dreamt that the small pizzeria would open up to be a relatively large restaurant. We realised we had chosen well when 2 Italian priests and a church elder came in to eat there. The food was delicious and no where near the price of St Marks square with all the hustle and bustle that goes with it.

After lunch we found a Gelataria and devoured the ice creams before finally finishing our jewellery search where we first started on St Marks square.

By the time we were returning to the Vaporetto for the journey back to the ship St Marks square had flooded and the raised walk ways were being used.

A NCL ship had joined us in dock but unusually only two ships in port today. As they didn't arrive until lunch time no doubt they have an overnight here.

Back on the ship and our balcony was in full sun and stayed that way for the 5 pm sailaway. We realised that the air con in the cabin had stopped working and reported it to reception.

The sailaway was to Classical music and once again fabulous being able to view both sides and wait for our last glimpse of Venice. Not as poignant as usual as we are booked to come back here next year in the Spring on Oriana.

Time to prepare for our evening meal in Sindhu. Our cabin was still like a sauna and we propped the balcony door open to try to get some fresh air flowing through. The shower room was worse than the cabin, it was a relief once ready to decamp to our friends lovely cool cabin for pre dinner drinks. Celeste our lovely cabin steward got on the case of the air con for us.

Sindhu was fairly quiet when we arrived at 7 pm. It is a new menu slightly different than we last had on Azura. I opted for the soft shell crab followed by the Scallop, Prawn and Squid with tomato masala. Both dishes were delicious were the Amuse Bouche and poppadoms with different chutneys. To finish I had the Passata which was ice cream and sponge desert which finished the meal off nicely. Everyone agreed that the meal surpassed expectation and was far superior to the meal at Ocean Grill. We have another Ocean Grill booked for Saturday and another Sindhu on our last night.

The entertainment was the Headliners performing Smokey Joes Cafe which we gave a miss in favour of the Arcadia Orchestra playing Jazz music.

Cocktail of the Day Piña Colada.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Split - Croatia
Another wonderful early morning sail in to the beautiful Croatian Walled city. We had breakfast on the balcony followed by an early morning visit to the Spa. Unfortunately the Spa had lost some water, not sure if this was deliberate or a leak but the jets were only just covered. Apparently it was about to be refilled.

As it was a tender port there was no need to hurry off. We let the rush get out of the way and left the ship at approx 10:30 am. There were a few issues early on with the tender exercise with independent passengers left waiting in the lounges whilst the ships excursions were given priority. Once the excursions had left it moved along very quickly and we only had a 20 minute wait from collecting our ticket to being called to the tender boat.

We hadn't planned much as we had visited here on a previous cruise. We wandered around, and tried the local brew in a couple of different bars. The sea front area is a very modern wide promenade with lots of bars and restaurants. Inside the city walls it is completely different with ornate buildings, many squares, and stall holders selling their wares. We climbed the clock tower on our last visit here and it was a difficult climb then so we had no intention of trying to do so again.

We spent another lazy afternoon soaking up the sun. Sailaway was planned for 5 p.m. It took a long time after the Captain announced that the anchor was being lifted before we actually got going. My theory was that whilst we were tendered the ship had been turning in circles. This showed on the route screen on the television. The red line shows the route travelled and today's was a knotted mass. I think it took the Captain a long time to untie the knots before we could set sail. There was definitely a problem of some kind. I had my own sailaway party on the balcony dancing to the music from the aft deck.

We went back to the MDR for dinner and it was the first time I had been disappointed in my main course. I must have been unlucky or fussy as we had all ordered the Haddock. Mine was completely tasteless and dry as it had been overcooked. Everyone else was happy with theirs. Our lovely waiter Mervyn offered to replace it but I was happy just eating the vegetables. I certainly won't starve on this ship.

The entertainment was Anthony Adams as Frank Sinatra in the Palladium and the Tropical Party on deck. The Globe was left empty in case the Tropical Party needed to move inside. We opted for a quiet night in the Crows a Nest listening to our favourite band on the ship - Inspiration. They are getting off in November and unfortunately will not be back on for the Christmas Cruise.

Cocktail of the Day Kir Royal ( Creme De Cassis and Champagne).

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We are in Gibraltar today for the morning. Last port of call. Fabulous Cruise. Back in Southamoton on Wednesday.

Sue

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

1st Sea Day enroute to Gibraltar
We awoke once again to another sunny day with promises of it being a hot one.

We were all ready for a sea day after five intensive ports of call. I should really have gone to Zumba but the morning sun on the balcony was too good to miss and as it was our friends Caribbean lunch day I didn't have anyone to make me feel guilty not going. I did have a spa session early morning though which was very relaxing as the hydrotherapy pool was back up to normal levels.

It was Battle of the Sexes at Noon in the Rising Sun. At the start of the Quiz the ladies were in the lead by 200 points but at the end of the session the men had caught up a bit and the session finished with the Ladies leading by 75 points. A very close Battle at the moment.

After lunch I spent the afternoon on the Aft deck soaking up the Rays and listening to the music quiz. I didn't take part but I did know the majority of the answers although there were 2 winners both getting 39 out of a maximum of 40. Well done to them.

Another excellent meal in the restaurant and our friends reported back that the Caribbean lunch also scored as excellent. Other than the buffet, there are no complaints from us about the food overall and for us the buffet is very easy to avoid.

We didn't fancy any of the entertainment on offer, our friends went to see the Headliners perform NewYork City Rhythm, the orchestra were performing a Glen Miller tribute in the Globe and Inspiration were playing in the Rising sun. We don't find the Rising sun a comfortable bar and the Whistle woman was singing in the Crows Nest. We decided to go to the East Bar for the night views of Italy and Sicily and sample the cocktails.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Friday 2nd Sea Day to Gibraltar
The start to another perfect sea day. Breakfast on the balcony followed by an hour in the Spa, then the rest of the morning spent relaxing in the sun on the balcony just watching the wake of the ship.

Battle of the Sexes was at Noon where the ladies got well and truly beaten yet again. It was on 60s music name the Artist and the song title. If you didn't get the artist then it passed over to the other side. The Ladies knew all the song titles but not many of the artists, the men stole everything the Ladies couldn't get. We redeemed ourselves at the end with the Catch Phrase.

We are creatures of habit and as the sun was still on the balcony we ordered room service and spent a lazy afternoon on there. It was very windy on deck but sheltered from it on the balcony. About 4 pm the wind increased and the ship started moving around. The wind was hitting side on and though the sea wasn't rough I started feeling the 'Motion of the Ocean'. It took 2 tablets for me to feel well enough to get ready for our 3rd formal night and the Masked Ball in the Globe.

It was Marcos Menu in the dining room and once again it was excellent and to finish it off the Port Marinated Stilton cheese. No sign of feeling unwell those tablets certainly worked.

The entertainment was the String Idols in the Palladium and the Masked Ball in the Globe with dancing to our favourite Band Inspiration. Many Ladies and some men had made the effort to join in wearing Venetian Masks. It was great fun seeing all the different types of masks.

Cocktail of the Day. Planters Punch (Dark Rum, Orange Juice, Lime and Grenadine)

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Saturday 3 October
Today is Garry's Birthday. A card from the Captain and Crew arrived with our Breakfast. A nice touch and he opened it along with gifts and cards from our family. We had our usual hour in the Spa then relaxed on the balcony whilst waiting for the sun to make an appearance. It was very warm but overcast. The sun was trying hard to burn off the clouds and it was very pleasant doing nothing much.

I did the battle of the sexes where yet again the ladies were beaten by the men and time is running out to catch them up. We met up with friends for lunch in the main dining room and then we all returned to our balcony for Birthday Cake and Champagne which I had ordered to be delivered.

The sun shone intermittently but is was still vey hot and pleasant sat out chatting.

I had booked the Ocean Grill for the Birthday meal and after our friends steak last visit was a disappointment the Head Waiter had promised him that tonight's would be exceptional. It was right up to the desert course. Three of us ordered the Brioche Bread and Butter pudding and they were all stodgy and cold. We called the Head waiter over who once again couldn't apologise enough but it really shouldn't happen. I changed my order to the Wally Ladd Trifle and the others had another Bread and Butter Pudding. This time it was perfect and exactly how it should be served.

The entertainment was the Headliners performing Destination Dance in the Palladium, football, or Rugby bring shown at every other entertainment venue.

We opted for a walk around the ship to let the dinner settle then drinks in the East Bar which was very quiet.

Cocktail of the Day Buried Treasure.

Tomorrow we Dock in Gibraltar our Final Port of Call before Southampton.

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Suekersh wrote:
Friday 2nd Sea Day to Gibraltar

The entertainment was the String Idols in the Palladium and the Masked Ball in the Globe with dancing to our favourite Band Inspiration. Many Ladies and some men had made the effort to join in wearing Venetian Masks.It was great fun seeing all the different types of masks.

Cocktail of the Day. Planters Punch (Dark Rum, Orange Juice, Lime and Grenadine)
The Masked Ball sounds good Sue, where did you obtain the masks in Venice or were they available on board ?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Raybosailor wrote:
did you obtain the masks in Venice or were they available on board
When we have been to Venice they have had a small selection of masks for sale on board - but they are (or at least were) pretty naff. You can buy them almost everywhere in Venice but be warned that to say that they are expensive could be classed as an understatement.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Wonderful reviews Sue

thanks very much :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
did you obtain the masks in Venice or were they available on board
When we have been to Venice they have had a small selection of masks for sale on board - but they are (or at least were) pretty naff. You can buy them almost everywhere in Venice but be warned that to say that they are expensive could be classed as an understatement.
Buy one and then use it to rob the shop.

Simples :)

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Thanks David, I have often seen the masks on sale in the shops in Venice but did wonder whether they were sold on board ship, I suppose its only the cruises that have visited Venice that do the masquerade balls.

Good idea Bob, I could pick a mask up in the shop rob the till then move on to the jewelry shop. I'm not into jewelry myself but I could sell it round the ship then go back in the shop and buy all the masks that I could sell later at the ball, reeeeeesult.

Like Barney says thanks Sue for the review it was enjoyable reading.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks for your reports, sounds like another good cruise
Gill

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Gibraltar
Sunday morning in Gibraltar not great planning by P & O. The only criticism of this cruise has been the planning of the order and time in ports. We would have been happier with one less port day to enable longer stays in the ports of call and for Gibraltar to have been any day except a Sunday.

We disembarked around 9am and caught the shuttle taxi into town. £4 each return. The majority of the shops were closed as we expected but the perfume shops had opened which was great for us as the ship had not got any stock of what we wanted. They were doing a great trade and the Arcadia passengers were certainly making it worth their while to open. We got 10% discount as normal then an extra 2% for paying cash so it was worth asking for.

We walked further into Gib and went to our usual haunt for a coffee and free WiFi. The best coffee I had had since leaving home so we stayed for another. At 10:30 we decided that the shops that hadn't opened wouldn't be opening so ventured back onto the High Street. Many hadn't bothered, those that had were the usual touristy shops which we had no interest in. We bought a bottle of Benedictine to complete our Duty free allowance and made our way back to the ship. We stopped on the way for another coffee in a different bar which was the worst I had tasted since leaving home and I have had a lot of bad ones but this was undrinkable.

It was the Great British sailaway party which after we had collected our champagne and flags we enjoyed from our balcony. We sailed just after 1 pm with the Captain warning us of rough seas ahead as we sail into the Atlantic Ocean. It was expected to be so bad that the entertainment schedule was altered to allow the headliners to perform their final show for the cruise and their final show as a troupe of 13 dancers as it is the end of their contract. They were supposed to be performing Killer Queen tomorrow night.

The show was fantastic the best I have seen this performed. This is one show I never tire of seeing. It had been updated with magnificent costumes and the lighting effects were fabulous. The troupe really gave it everything and got a well deserved standing ovation at the end.

We finished the evening in the Crows a Nest listening to Inspiration. Not a great move as we could feel the movement of the ship worsening throughout the night. We decided to make our way to the cabin whilst we still could.

Cocktail of the Day Strawberry Daquiri.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all, on our way back and almost through the BOB. Yesterday's report.

Monday 1st Sea Day back to Southampton
A very rough night and when we awoke it was only 6 am and no sign of it calming down any. We were just about level with Lisbon speeding along at 21 Knots. I decided against doing the Zumba class as I could hardly walk never mind dance and opted for an hour in the Spa.
The sun was hiding behind the clouds but although extremely windy it was sheltered on the balcony.

The men won the Battle of the sexes and it is the last day tomorrow so the Ladies need a miracle.

By the time we had had lunch in the MDR the sun was full on our balcony so that is where I spent the afternoon. Atul was doing a Q & A session in the Palladium but even he couldn't tempt me away from last few hours of sunshine.
An unexpected Glorious afternoon.

We decided to dine early as it was the Peninsular Party in Neptune Pool. We had a choice of attending at 6 pm or 8 pm. Freedom dining is a nightmare when the party finishes at 6:30 so we ate just before the pastry finished and attended the 8 pm party. Not sure why it was held in the Neptune pool area as it was no where near as busy as we have known it and we could easily have fit into the Crows Nest. It was very enjoyable and the champagne flowed well. One of the officers was explaining the new embarkation system to us and insisted that it was at customers request and that it was working well. He obviously doesn't read the forums or face book pages.

The entertainment was Anthony Adams as Matt Munro in the Palladium and the Black and White Ball in the Globe with our least favourite band the Sunshine Band. The female in the band is extremely talented and plays many different instruments but they are just not a dance band. It was a great night and Garry with his ' stand in 'dance partner won a bottle of wine in a raffle prize. I think I should let my substitute take over more often.

Cocktail of the Day Chocolate Banana ( Kahlua, banana, chocolate powder and cream.)

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

To Conclude we are now back home and work looms. Great Cruise with wonderful friends. Our cruising days and nights have changed over the last 2 years as the Virus Garry caught in May 2013 is still causing him health problems. On Sea Days He needs to rest a lot during the day to enable him to enjoy the evenings on board and our port days are not now filled from early morning to sailaway time. This way we can continue cruising and he is learning to manage the illness as well as spot the signs of any problem before it gets too bad.

Tuesday 6 th October Final day of the Cruise
We can certainly tell we are nearing the UK. The sea is grey as is the sky although occasionally the sun managed to show itself. We left the BOB at around 16:30 and it hasn't been too bad although lots of funny walks around the ship.

The Battle of the Sexes final day and once again the men were leading until the last question. Martin allocated 1100 points to this question which coincidently was exactly the amount the ladies were behind. The ladies got the answer first and a tongue in cheek draw was declared. It has been great fun attending each day and Martin handed our P & O pen and key ring set to all participants and extra gifts to the Captains.

Our final lunch in the Main Dining Room where we said our goodbyes as we were eating dinner in Sindhu.

Atul was signing his books in Intermezzo bar and when we passed they appeared to be selling well as the queue of passengers waiting stretched quite a long way down deck 2.

After lunch we finished the packing then it was the Final Jackpot Bingo session.
Needless to say we didn't win but at almost £1,000 it was worth trying.

Final dinner in Sindhu. As we arrived Atul was having his photo taken with some of the crew who serve in Sindhu. Bradley was there and told us how excited all the crew were to meet him and have their photo taken with their food hero.

The meal was once again outstanding. I chose the scallops to start followed by the Lobster then the 5 Spice Chocolate pudding. It was all superb and everyone enjoyed their choice of food.

The show tonight was Donovan and Rebecca who perform vocals and acrobatics. They were amazing. Their strength is unbelievable. They performed on Britains got talent as well as talent shows in America. They also hold many records for strength in the Guiness Book of Records. I found the show a bit samey and had seen enough after 30 minutes. We stayed until the end but they really need to find some different material to fill 45 minutes. However they are very talented and well worth seeing.

Final night and we had an early one to finish the last of the packing.

At least we put the clocks back an hour tonight so although we need to be up for 6 am it will feel like 7 am.

Cocktail of the Day Cuba Libra.

Wednesday 7 October Disembarkation Day.
There was some vibration during the early hours as Arcadia made her way into the docks. We think it is a small price to pay for the advantages of having an aft balcony cabin. We were up early and I was in the queue for breakfast which opened at 7 am. I was amazed that it wasn't all that long and we were in and being served very quickly. It was only when we were seated and passengers kept arriving for about 15 minutes that I realised there must have been 2 queues.

Breakfast was quite a long drawn out meal and it was almost 8 am before I got back to the cabin to collect the hand luggage. As we had priority disembarkation we had not been allocated an area to wait in. We made our way down to deck 2 and found an officer who told us that there was a problem with the air bridge and pointed us to an area by the atrium to queue up and wait. No idea why they couldn't allocate a lounge as lots of pax had priority and the queue snaked around. We disembarked at 8:45 and were in the car and on our way for 9 am.

We had said goodbye to our cruising friends in the baggage collection area and unless there is a change in plans we won't see them until next August on Oriana as for our next 3 cruises we have planned they are unable to join us.

To conclude another great cruise on our favourite ship. Sindhu is a great addition to the Select dining venues on board. The Spa area is wonderful and in our opinion well worth the extra charge. The aft balcony was fantastic and got a lot of use.
The weather was in the main very good with the odd rain showers which as it was an early Autumn cruise was to be expected.

Our main gripe was the length of time in Dubrovnik and Venice and the early morning call in Gibraltar on a Sunday. There was a long call in Corfu but not long enough to be useful. We departed at 7 pm so there wasn't time to have dinner ashore so a bit pointless.

We enjoyed all of the Ports of call even though we had visited them all previously. Venice was the highlight and we would have preferred to skip Messina and had an overnight in Venice.

The entertainment was varied and the Headliners very professional and experienced. We enjoyed the dancing in the Globe especially when the band Inspiration were playing. Other than the Formal night Balls the Ballroom, Latin and Sequence dancing is held in the Retreat to CDs and hosted by the dancing Instructors.

The food in the Main Dining room was mostly excellent, the service some nights was a little slow but always friendly and professional. We ate twice in Ocean Grill and twice in Sindhu. Of the two venues Sindhu came out on top for both quality and service but Ocean Grill was also mainly excellent. Our friend had an issue with his steak on the first visit there but wasn't charged for the meal, on our second visit they had forgotten to heat the bread and butter pudding but this was remedied as soon as they were informed. It shouldn't happen but it did not spoil the evening.

That's all for now until we board Arcadia again in 10 weeks for the Christmas and New Year Cruise to the Caribbean. Lots of work to do before then to lose the weight I have gained on this cruise.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Brilliant Sue

We are again in an AFT cabin in 4 weeks and you've really wetted my appetite

cheers
barney :wave:
Empty vessels .. and all that

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Excellent, many thanks Sue. All very informative, readable and interesting. Even more eager for the next one on Arcadia now !!

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Thanks Sue for an excellent review. Good luck with the weight loss - where is Keefy Onelife when you need him.

Belle53
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Belle53 »

Really enjoyed reading about your cruise, we were on Arcadia in August and it brought back happy memories, thank you.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Hi Sue
I have enjoyed reading your posts, as usual they were interesting and bring happy memories of previous cruises of our own:) I like Arcadia, I thought when on board it had a nice atmosphere.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

barney wrote:
Brilliant Sue

We are again in an AFT cabin in 4 weeks and you've really wetted my appetite

cheers
barney :wave:
Have a great Cruise Barney. Just love those Aft cabins. Our friends had a starboard cabin and said that there was always windy where as ours barely had a breeze.

Sue

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”