Reports about cruises on Arcadia

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Sue Kersh's Epic Adventure

Post by gilly88 »

Meg 50 wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:
Friday 13 January 2017 - Sea Day to Curaçao.

...Alpha Centauril. Absolutely no idea what that is all about.....
Isn't Alpha Centauri something to do with' The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'?

alpha centauri is the closest star system to our solar system.
regards gilly.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Monday 16 January 2017 Panama Canal Transit

Having put the clocks back another hour over night we are now 5 hours behind GMT.

We woke very early as Arcadia entered Cristobal Breakwaters and at 5 am Arcadia was anchored in Limon Bay waiting for the Pilot and Officials to board at around 5:15 a.m.

I did the early morning stretch class whilst we sailed the 6.4 miles along a buoyed Chanel to the Gatun Lock which should have been at approx 6:45 but we had only just entered as I returned to the cabin at 7:30. We had a great view from our balcony as the locks opened and closed and Arcadia rose 85 feet from sea level up to the level of the Gatun Lake. It took approximately 2 hours to get through the 3 different Chambers. In between this time I managed to take a break from lock watching to go in for my favourite breakfast Eggs Benedict. I was lucky enough to get a window table so I didn't miss much.

Just before lunch we got a phone call to confirm that our request to change to first sitting dining has been sorted, from San Francisco, such a relief as the queues for freedom have become a chore. We don't like eating late and obviously many passengers on this cruise want to eat early hence the queues.

The Gatun Lake is man made and was created between 1907 and 1914 by the building of the Gatun dam across the Chagres River. It is huge at 23 1/2 miles long and has an area of 164 sq miles. We sailed past many ships waiting for their turn to go through the locks we had just vacated, and some semi submerged islands. Everything was so calm and tranquil no noise and very little movement as we slowly made our way across the lake.

We had a fabulous buffet lunch in Sindhu where I ate too much lobster and Garry ate 3 deserts. There was so much food both hot and cold and it appeared to be never ending. There were only about forty passengers invited to this exclusive event . We were sat at a window table so had a wonderful view of the greenery and wildlife on the lake.
We will definitely not be eating again tonight.

We returned to our balcony as we sailed past the Gamboa mooring and into the Galliard Cut, which is the stretch of the canal that is 9 miles long. It slices right through the Continental Divide.

At around 3 p.m. We entered the Pedro Miguel Lock aided by one of the new electric mules, where Arcadia was dropped 31 feet the same level as the Miraflores Lake. The Miraflore lake is tiny in comparison to the Gatun Lake only a mile in length but provides enough water required for the full operation of the locks.

As we were waiting for the level to drop we had a great view of the new part of the Panama Canal. The expansion project added a third lane and doubled the waterways capacity. The existing locks allow the passage of vessels that can carry up to 5,000 TEUs the new locks can take vessels carrying 13,000/14,000 TEUs.

It was just before 4 p.m. When we were finally at the correct depth to sail through the lock into the lake and head for the final lock the Miraflores Lock which has 2 chambers.

We entered the first chamber at 4:45 and watched as the hand rails were lifted to allow the ships photographers to carefully walk across to reboard the ship. A very long day for them as they left the ship very early this morning with the local agent as the pilot boarded the ship. Their day is not over as they now have to develop and print their photos ready for sale tomorrow. John Bartram has also had a long day as he started his commentary at 7 am this morning.

It was 5:40 p.m. before we finally exited the 2 nd chamber of the Miraflores lock and we had been dropped a further 35 feet to allow us to continue our journey along the canal and at 6:15 pm we sailed under the Bridge of the America and out into the Pacific Ocean.

It took 11 hours from boarding the Pilot and Cost $300,000

A very long but exciting day that we will never forget. We asked our cabin steward for clean cups, glasses and ice and told him that we didn't need our cabin servicing.

A bottle of wine on the balcony and an early night is planned.

Tomorrow is the first of two sea days to Huatulco.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Did you see all the crocs splashing into the water? The first one saw we felt sure had been put there for the tourists - until it shot off the bank into the water after a fish lol
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

GillD46 wrote:
Did you see all the crocs splashing into the water? The first one saw we felt sure had been put there for the tourists - until it shot off the bank into the water after a fish lol
Hope we don't see those on our next trip - it's a round Britain !

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I think the Panama Canal transit is one of my favourite experiences!
Keep up the good reviews Sue they make good reading :clap:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Evening folks, more from Sue :

Tuesday 17 January - 1 st Sea Day to Huatulco Mexico

The early morning heat was barely bearable and it only got hotter as the day progressed. We have a magnet thermometer and it stops measuring at 50 degrees. It reached around the 46 degrees mark in the shade.

Early morning exercise classes before breakfast and then I had a hair appointment with my butler. He made a good job of it and my hairdresser at home has trained him well. It did take up the best part of the morning though and I didn't make the beginners Spanish Class.

We lunched on the balcony as the sun had moved round slightly and we had some shade. I followed lunch with a rum punch but in this weather it is water I am craving. Our cabin steward filled our ice bucket twice during the morning.

We had a good view of the coastline on the Starboard side and plenty of Brown Boobies flying around the ship.

As I left the cabin tor the Improvers Spanish Class the Captain made an announcement that due to another seriously unwell passenger he was doing a detour to Costa Rica for the gentleman to have urgent medical treatment. This may affect our arrival time in Huatulco.

We arrived at Costa Rica around 6 p.m. and anchored in the bay. It took some time to sort the transportation and get the patient off Arcadia and onto the boat which would take him ashore for the medical treatment he needs.

Arcadia set off again for a Huatulco just before 8 p.m. I suspect the time we took to divert to Costa Rica will have an effect on our arrival time in Huatulco.

It was the 5 th formal night and unusually not the Black & White night. According to reception and the overview we will not be having a B & W night on this sector. I think this is the first time we have cruised and there has not been a B & W night.

Jimmy Love as an Elton John Tribute act was in the Palladium covering Sir Eltons early life and career up to the 1980s. We went to the theatre but had to come out before he started as it was exceptionally hot in there.

The Formal Ball was in the Globe and dancing to New Wave with Geoffrey and Brenda hosting the event,

Clocks go back another hour tonight putting us on Mexico time which is 6 hours behind GMT.

Wednesday -18 January 2017 - last Sea day to Huatulco Mexico

I skipped the early morning exercise classes for the first time this cruise in favour of a lie in as I appeared to have developed the Arcadia cough. I am sure a few whisky all ins will sort that out. We have done many cruises on Arcadia and this is the first time I have succumbed to it.

The beginners Spanish class was well attended again but as it went on a bit longer than normal i had to leave before the end.

It was our Ligurian Peninsular lunch which was hosted by Nick the Passenger Services manager. A very entertaining host and a new Menu, which was very well received by all on our table. We knew the wine waitress and she looked after our table very well. I think Nick was relieved as part of his role is dealing with passenger complaints. No complaints from our table at all.

After a very entertaining lunch we headed back to our balcony which was in the sun. I had an hour there before the afternoon Spanish Class which was all about bars and eating and drinking.

As I was making my way back to the cabin I realised I felt very unwell. My head ached as did everywhere else. I couldn't stop coughing and I lost my voice. I got into bed and didn't go down to dinner. My butler made me a Whisky all in but for once it didn't have the desired effect.

Tomorrow we are in Huatulco and I am so looking forward to it but I doubt I m going to be in any fit state to get off the ship.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

maybe a good nights sleep will help. fingers crossed for you.
regards gilly.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Afternoon all, hope you're all good. More from poorly Sue :

Thursday 19 Jan 2017 - Huatulco Mexico

We docked on time at 8 am so the Captain had made up the time for our diversion. I had had a dreadful night coughing and if anything I felt worse this morning than I had last night. It has really got a hold on me now.

I didn't feel well enough to leave the cabin so I missed Huatulco completely. I slept on and off all day but didn't feel any better by the evening.

We now have 3 sea days to San Diego.

Friday 20 Jan 2017 1st sea Day to Huatulco.

I had another really bad night and I will be having another self imposed cabin day. Thank goodness we have a balcony where if I feel like it I can get some fresh air. Just had a beautiful sun rise but still gutted that I missed Huatulco yesterday.

The Captain announced that stormy weather was ahead and the forecast for San Diego was not good. We need to make the most of the settled sunny weather and calm seas while they last.

We let the cabin steward in to change the linen and he told us many passengers have the same illness.

Not a great day, I ordered a soup from room service for lunch but couldn't eat it and I slept quite a lot but I did notice a slight improvement by mid afternoon and I sat out for a short while and enjoyed the fresh air and sun.

We shared a room service pizza for dinner and I managed to eat some of it and finally I could actually taste something.

Yet another early night.

The clocks go back an hour overnight putting us 7 hours behind UK Time.

Sat 21 Jan 2 nd Sea Day to San Diego

I had another really bad night awake for most of it coughing and spluttering. I am going to give it another 24 hours and if no better then I will go and see the Ships doctor to see what they recommend.

We have propped the door open to let fresh air into the cabin which appears to have helped my breathing. I filled in the immigration forms for the USA whilst Garry went to the spa.

Another lovely day despite the Captains warnings of rough seas ahead. It does feel cooler but still quite pleasant in the sun out of the wind.

We lunched on the balcony and had the sun for the rest of the afternoon.

I managed the main dining room for our last formal dinner of this first sector of the cruise. It was the Marco lobster dinner which was excellent but no port marinated Stilton to finish. Sacrilege I must speak with the Captain!!!

Straight after dinner we retreated back to the cabin for more rest and recuperation. The sea had got rougher as the Captain had predicted and we ensured everything was secure in the cabin.

Our final sea Day tomorrow before we reach America and the dreaded Immigration process.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

When you're arriving in the USA on a cruise, as you are, presumably you have to complete an ESTA beforehand ?

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

So sorry you succumbed to the Arcadia cough. I caught it on the 2010 world cruise and was ill for weeks, losing my voice totally for three weeks.

I hope you are now feeling a bit better and able to get back to enjoying your lovely trip.
Gill

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Thanks for the reports, Sue - excellent as always,

Sorry to hear about the Arcadia cough. I picked one up in October which had just about gone by Christmas so with luck you should be OK before you get home. Hopefully the medics can help, though

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

You must have caught your cough from the Queen, Sue

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I'm really enjoying your reports.

Sorry to hear you are not well. I think these coughs are a hazard of longer cruises at this time of year. Last year on our 5 week Oceana cruise, we both ended up with The Cough, although I didn't succumb until the very last night.
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Afternoon all, more from Sue:

After another bad night I decided it was time to pay a visit to the Ships doctor.

We got there as it opened at 9 a.m. to find a queue of around 6 other passengers. I was seen quite quickly by the nurse after filling in forms and signing that I agreed to pay the charges. She took history, blood pressure and temperature before passing me onto one of the Doctors. I felt very at ease and the doctor confirmed exactly what I had self diagnosed and prescribed a weeks course of Antibiotics. She became my friend for life when she told me that I could enjoy a drink whilst taking them. Garry nearly choked when I told her that she was my kind of doctor. However as today is one of my designated alcohol free days I will give the antibiotics chance to kick in before following her excellent advice.

The sun was on our balcony all day and we were entertained by many pods of dolphins playing in the wake of the ship at various times during the day. The scenery was stunning and so close we could see the waves breaking on the shoreline.

We skipped lunch due to no appetite and decided not to go down to the evening meal in the main dining room.

Tomorrow we will be in San Diego a completely new port for us both.

I feel so much better already and now just need a great nights sleep or I would even settle for a good one.

Clocks go back another hour putting us at GMT -8

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

So glad to hear you're feeling a bit better.

Sadly, looks a bit grey on the webcam in San Diego today....
arcadia.jpg

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Glad you are feeling a little better. Enjoy San Diego.
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

.....in the rain. Blimey, it's only about 14 degrees too!

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Monday 23 Jan. - San Diego

We woke early after another restless night due to the virus symptoms. I realised I felt better than I had in days and although still nasally the swelling of my sinus's had reduced considerably. I still didn't feel ready to go back to the early morning stretch and Abs classes but maybe tomorrow.

San Diego is the closest large USA town to Mexcio. The Centre is only 22 miles to the border. The Spanish influnce is very evident in the architecture and gardens. We had never visited here before and I was looking forward to the day. We were docked very close to the USS Midway, the retired longest serving US Navy aircraft carrier.

The weather was dull cold and wet and this is the most Southern port of the USA we call at until we reach Honolulu which seems an awful long time off. I had been hoping for a day with some sunshine but it was not to be.

We breakfasted in the main dining room as it was Eggs Benedict day, unfortunately it was also the day of US Port inspections which slowed down the service considerably. Some passengers were so rude to the poor waiters. It wasn't the waiters fault that the US inspectors decided to inspect the kitchens during breakfast service. Some people just can't wait an extra 5 or 10 minutes to stuff more food into their mouths. I made a point of thanking our waiters rather more loudly and effusively than I normally would have done.

We had to collect our tour tickets and then wait to be called to immigration. It took a short while but as our forms were filled in correctly following the precise instructions given to everyone we were soon through and out into the rainy weather to board the trolley bus for a 2 hour orientation tour of San Diego.

The tour guide Steve was a comedian and joked his way through what could have been a boring presentation. His way brought it to life. The downside was the dreadful weather but he made it fun.

The first stop was over the Coronado Bridge to Sea Port Village and the mega million dollar properties and hotels there, the beach there has been voted the best in the USA, today its golden sands did not sparkle, the surf was up and it looked grey miserable and cold. Back over the huge Coronado Bridge and our next stop was Balboa Park, 1200 acres of parkland where the Performing arts venues , Science museums, and technological buildings of the air and Space Centres are located close to the World famous San Diego Zoo. I could easily have spent a full day here if the weather was better, then on through Little Italy with its many charming shoos and restaurants and onto the man made Old Town where lots of the residents wore clothes of yesterday years and the shops and buildings were made to look like a town of the 1800's. The final stop was back at the ship.

We had been told that we could hop on and off when we wanted and some passengers did just that. We decided to see it all then decide where to go back to. Apparently that wasn't part of the deal and if you go all the way round you then have to pay another 37 dollars each if you want to go again. A few passengers had thought the same as us and had expected to be able to use it all day. If it had been made clear we would have got off at the first stop looked around there then caught the next trolley bus to the 2 nd stop etc etc. Which would have been perfectly acceptable.

In the end we caught the free shuttle to the Horton Mall and spent time in the Gas Lamp area. It was really too cold to do much sightseeing on foot and by 2 p.m. we had seen enough and headed back to the ship for some hot soup.

By 3:30 p.m. the weather was so bad that we couldn't see anything through the squall. Then the sun came out and the skies cleared. It didn't last long before it started raining again.

Whilst getting ready for dinner a friend phoned me who had also booked the trolley bus tour but was on a different trolley bus to us. I told her our experience and she confirmed that she had read it the same way as me and had stayed on until the end but had been given the magic pass to use for the rest of the day. I will take this up with the tours office tomorrow.

We had dinner in the Main Dining room and there was certainly a buzz around and the waiters wearing extra big smiles. They were so deservedly proud of themselves as the Arcadia had passed the stringent USA Inspections with flying colours.

We retired back to the cabin straight after dinner as I couldn't stop coughing. I had been given a tip to rub the bottoms of my feet with Vicks put socks on then go to bed and let it work. I had bought the Vicks in Ralph's and thought I had been ripped off as it didn't smell of anything at all. Garry came in and said ' OMG how much of that stuff have you used it stinks in here.' I then realised I actually couldn't smell anything at all. Not sure how long that will last but it's a bit worrying. On the plus side the coughing has calmed down so I may have a chance of a good nights sleep.

We had a late night stay in San Diego with back on board at 9 p.m. We watched the lights of San Diego disappear from the warmth of our cabin as we sailed away from this lovely city and sailed up the coast the short distance to Los Angeles.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

We stayed in San Diego some years ago and it is really a delightful city with usually great weather. Sorry it didn't do so for your stay there.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Morning all, (and Wolfie, good to see you) here's more from Sue:

Tues 24 Jan 2017 - Los Angeles

It is 3 years since we were last in Los Angeles when we flew out to meet Arcadia there for the 2014 World Cruise. We had three days there then and had seen the sights of the LA area. The weather then was perfect for sightseeing, sunny but not too hot. Our plan for today is to go to the Long Beach Area and have a good mooch around.

After breakfast I called at the tours desk to discuss the trolley bus tour we had done yesterday. They are only open for an hour in the morning and and an hour early evening on port days but the young man took notes and assured me that it would be passed on to someone more senior and when they had time they would contact me.

I am feeling a little better every day and as we were leaving the cabin our lovely Jeffrey said he had the sniffles. He nearly wet himself laughing at my come back that he shouldn't keep giving me so many kisses then.

There was a shuttle to the Aquarium and sea front area. The docks at Long Beach appear to go on for ever and it was a good 20 minute shuttle bus drive from our dock. The beach looked amazing but although the weather was lovely it really wasn't beach temperatures. We headed for the Aquarium of the Pacific first where a few American school-buses had just brought the teachers and their young children for a day trip out.

Across the road from the Aquarium was an outlet shopping mall where not only did we get free Wi Fi but Garry picked up a bargain at the Nike shop. Once shopped out our next stop was the free bus over to the Queen Mary where we spent time wandering around absorbing the atmosphere. There was an old Russian sub there as well but the whole area really needed a good paint and not sure how they can class this as an upmarket hotel but I guess the name carries the weight.

We made our way back and looked at Bubba Gumps for lunch but it all looked very plastic and fried. We headed for an Irish bar where Garry sampled the Sam Adams seasonal beer and I had a Corona. The Sam Adams was a better choice and because I needed to keep my fluid intake up I helped Garry with his as well. The staff were friendly and the WI Fi free but the food menu didn't tempt us.

We were too late back on board for lunch in the main dining room and as I only wanted soup anyway we ordered room service.

The sun was on the balcony and we had a view of the Iowa which we were berthed close to.

The ship departed just before 5:30 p.m. Reception were still calling for 6 missing passengers after we had left the berth. At least they haven't got far to go to catch us up and two days to do it in.

We had planned on going to the theatre to see the Headliners new show Money Makes the world go Round but although I am feeling much improved I just can't stop coughing so it was to the cabin and another early night.

The Captain announced that the sea could get a bit choppy overnight.

We don't sail into San Francisco until 2 p.m.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Wed 25 Jan 2017 - San Francisco Day 1

Well the Captain was right and it was a rough night. So rough that our fridge discharged its precious cargo. Phew nothing lost so got away with that one.

The Vicks on the feet trick worked again last night and the coughing only started again when I got up. I ache everywhere from coughing.

A bonus sunshine day and very warm in the sun sat on our balcony out of the wind. The ship is still rolling around with the wind and the swell but the sea appears quite calm. Whales and Dolphins were in abundance and sightings have almost become an everyday occurrence. I still haven't managed to have my camera ready at the right time.

The Captain has arranged for all passengers not disembarking in San Francisco to attend a muster drill today at 10:30 a.m. As we don't sail under the Golden Gate Bridge until after 12 noon this doesn't clash with anything. The main muster is tomorrow when all of the plus 900 new boarders have arrived but as it is a late night call in San Fran then this would certainly have curtailed our time in the City.

We had early lunch on the balcony enjoying the warmth of the Californian Sun. It was slightly later than anticipated before we sailed under the iconic Golden Gate Bridge and into the Bay of San Francisco. We couldn't have asked for better weather for the sail in as the Sun caught the metal structure of the Bridge end rid indeed turn it Golden.

The sea colour had changed from Clear Turquoise to a Muddy Brown, the scenery around the bay is spectacular with the rugged mountainous area, the High Builds of the city centre and the small Island which houses Alcatraz. Lots of Sea Lions basking in the sun on the Buoys that were marking the channel to the port.

We were late docking and by the time the dreaded American Port Authority had given clearance it was after 3 p.m. before we were allowed off. By then the queue ran the length of the ship but it soon moved.

We just wanted to get our bearings so got on a Bike with a driver who took us on a tour round and dropped us at our request close to China Town. As it was almost their New Year the whole area was highly decorated with a real buzzing holiday feel. We walked miles then started looking for a means of transport to get back towards a Fishermans Wharf.

Of all the inhabitants of San Francisco Garry had to ask directions from a real life all American Gorilla with huge white earphones in that clearly meant DO NOT DISTURB. After a great deal of posturing and the exaggerated removal of said earphones he pointed to the bus stop sign we were stood right next to and grunted BUS. Doh why hadn't we thought of that. The next person we spoke to was an actual human and very keen to explain the vagaries of the bus system in San Fran. We asked why there were no taxi ranks and apparently there is no need as everyone has an APP for that.

We jumped on a bus which said Fishermans Wharf on the front driven by yet another Gorilla who could only grunt and point. I am sure there must be somewhere that teaches Gorilla language. The ride was quite an experience but eventually we knew we had arrived at Fishermans when the Gorilla opened the doors grunted and pointed to us to get off.

The temperatures dropped considerably as the afternoon slipped into early evening and I was was glad to get back on board and a warm shower.

We met friends in East Bar for a drink after dinner and then had an early night in readiness for a full day sightseeing tomorrow.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Thu 26 Jan 2017 - San Francisco

I finally made it back to the early morning exercise classes after being missing for over a week. I found it difficult to keep up and I will have to build my strength up gradually.

After I had finished breakfast in the Dining Room and Garry had finished his hydrotherapy pool session we wrapped up in fleeces, hats gloves and scarves and set off on foot to discover San Fran. It really was that cold but bright blue clear skies meant that by lunchtime we would be discarding the layers.

Our first stop was the cable car station which took us up and down the hills to the shopping centre of San Fran. Bloomingdales, Maceys and many other equally well named shops .

We took another cable car to see Lombard Street the infamous Crooked street with nine hairpin bends, before heading to Fishermans Wharf. By this time the sun was high and although there was a breeze off the water it was very pleasant wandering around this touristy area.

I had been promised a fishy lunch and there were so many places touting for our business but I didn't want any over commercialised greasy spoon type of place. I finally settled on a restaurant where the upstairs seating overlooked the fishing vessels and had a view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Fresh Crab was the deal of the day with home made Chowder to start. I went off the waitresses recommendation of a 1/2 Crab and although it wasn't huge if was full of sweet white crab meat cooked to perfection. I was given a long thin fork and a pair of claw crackers to aid the demolition job on the Crab. Garry opted for fish & chips which he said was freshly cooked and delicious. We washed this down with a Local San Fran seasonal beer.

Feeling stuffed we slowly made our way to pier 39 to see the sea lions which congregate there daily. I didn't actually see them as they weren't where we had expected them to be. We saw a friend later who told us they were just around the corner from where we had been looking but she forwarded me her photos of them.

We called in at CVS to stock up on cabin supplies as we have 4 sea days until our next port of call in Honolulu.

The terminal building has fast free Wi Fi allowing us to catch up on e mails etc and then headed back to the sanctuary of our cabin. Yes the sun was on our balcony and it was hot hot hot.

This is another US port that I would like to visit again in the future.

The first night of our new dining arrangements in Club dining on first sitting. The big surprise was that one of our favourite waiters had also been moved to club dining and he was serving our table.

The show in the theatre was an Hawaiian singer Elika Santos.

In the Rising Sun they were celebrating Australia Day. The changeover of passengers was in the region of 900 leaving and approx the same amount joining. Many of these will be Australians.

We now have 4 relaxing sea days before we reach Honolulu.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Friday 27 January 2017 - 1 st sea Day to Hawaii

We both slept like logs last night and woke up at 5 a.m.

The early morning exercise classes were both completely full to bursting. The change in passengers was very noticeable as the Australians are now on board and they know how to party.

Beautiful sunny day but we need to get a bit further South to feel the heat of the sun.

There is a new craft instructor on board called Brenda Harvey

The 10 am Spanish Class was full of both new passengers and the stalwarts keen to revise what we have already covered. I was told that after Iris the teacher disembarks in Tahiti that the new Instructors will be teaching Arabic. I think P & O have lost the plot big time and many of the passengers attending the Spanish sessions everyday are about to rebel. Rumours abound that Iris wants to stay on board and quite willing to continue the Spanish classes but her contract runs out in Tahiti.
Will P & O listen to their loyal passengers and extend her contact or will the bean counters get their way and hope that the passengers will not boycott the Arabic lessons. I and many others would rather watch paint dry so time will tell.

A new Celebrity Guest Speaker Wayne Sleep talking about his life in dance. The theatre was packed out for this his first show of three. He thrilled the audience when he finished the show by showing off dance moves.

The later Spanish class for Improvers was even busier than the beginners class and Iris's fame as the best, most fun Spanish teacher ever is spreading around the ship. She will need to teach it in the theatre soon.

After another excellent dinner at our cosy table for two we headed for the theatre. It should have been the MacDonald brothers but unfortunately one of the brothers is ill so the Headliners stepped up to perform Breakaway Blues. A high energy show with music of the Blues Brothers.

The clocks go back another hour tonight to GMT -9

Sat 28 Jan 2017 - 2 nd Sea Day to Hawaii

Once again the early morning stretch class was way over subscribed and there were more people without mats than with mats. This could be down to the hour change and maybe this will change as the cruise goes on but somehow I think that other than port days these classes will be oversubscribed. I take my own mat every day so I will always have a place.

The Spanish class was busy again, but as the weather has not been great it may lose a few as the sun gets hotter.

We noticed in the Horizon the the get together that had been arranged for Sunday at 11 am was actually showing for today at 11 am. We decided to attend and see how many turned up. Nigel the bar manager who had arranged it for Sunday came to see us to explain that it would still be on tomorrow and had no idea why it was in there for today.
In spite of it clearly saying Roll Call meet we still got passengers arriving wanting to have their complaints heard. One lady in particular just kept going on and on even though I told her I wasn't interested. She told me that I ought to be as her complaint was very important. She had been on the Queen Mary and there were 8 dance hosts and here there were none. I recognised her from the 2014 world cruise when she was known as a moaner then so she knew when she booked that P & O don't have dance hosts. I hate being rude to people but sometimes I just have to make exceptions. She then went to complain to Nigel that it was wrong that it was a Closed group and that she hadn't been invited. I do hope she doesn't turn up again tomorrow.

Wayne Sleep did his 2 nd show in the Palladium and once again it was to a full house.

The weather is getting hotter but the sun is struggling to burn off the clouds but it was pleasant sitting out eating lunch watching the Pacific turn bluer as we sailed South.

The first Formal night of this sector and the passengers who embarked in San Fran had been invited to the welcome on board party. I am sure on our last world cruise we were invited to one every sector.

Julian Smith a very talented saxophonist was in the theatre. We gave this a miss as we saw him on a recent cruise and opted instead to go the East Bar for a drink before ending up in the Globe for the formal ball.

Sun 29 Jan 2017 - 3rd Sea Day to Hawaii

The ship rocked and Rolled all night with some strange banging noises. No hour change today and still the exercise class was full. Some did leave after the stretch class but more arrived for the Abs class.

The weather wasn't great but it was warm. Arcadia is catching the tail end of a tropical storm and we kept feeling the liquid sunshine at times.

Spanish class was busy again and straight after it was the cruise critic meet.

No the batty woman didn't turn up but a man did, expecting me to be interested in his complaint. Why is it that even when I explained what the meeting was about he still had to burden me with his whinging. This time it was about some fingermarks he had seen on some glass which he had watched for 25 days before he mentioned it to an officer. The day after the marks were gone but he still had to whinge. Why on earth had he gone on a world cruise to watch a pane of glass for 25 days ? I refrained from telling him to 'Get a life' but two friends who had been in the Spanish Class with me thought it hilariously funny when I kept turning to them mouthing Help! My Revenge for their treachery will be slow painful!

It was another good meet up and nice to put names to faces. Everyone there who had joined in San Fran were leaving by Brisbane.

When we returned to the cabin the invites had arrived to another Round the World Coffee Morning for tomorrow morning.

Lunch on the balcony was very pleasant as it was hot enough to sit out but the sun kept disappearing behind the clouds. We could hear the wind raging around us but we were sheltered from it. Garry had paid another early morning visit to the Launderette and it was all drying nicely.

The Improvers Spanish class was quite a bit harder today but I managed to plod my way through it. I suspect numbers may be lower tomorrow.

The Hawaiian singers and dancers we have on board taught Hula in the retreat. It clashed with Spanish or else I would probably have attended.

The Captain announced that the rough seas would continue overnight and into tomorrow.

The MacDonald brothers performed in the Theatre and were very entertaining but the sway of the ship did spoil the enjoyment. Straight after they had finished we returned to the cabin as being led down was far safer than being upright.

Last sea day tomorrow before we reach Hawaii.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

how can someone possibly moan on a world cruise?, some people don't know how lucky they are. still enjoying your reports sue. :clap:
regards gilly.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

gilly88 wrote: 31 Jan 2017, 15:30
how can someone possibly moan on a world cruise?, some people don't know how lucky they are. still enjoying your reports sue. :clap:
The clue is in the title ! It's a cruise and there's always someone ready to moan whether it's round the world or round Britain !! Mind you, those people would probably moan just as much if they were at home so, as you say, there's simply no pleasing them !

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”