J311 report

Reports about cruises on Arcadia

Topic author
Pandora
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

J311 report

Post by Pandora »

We have just returned from a fantastic Baltic cruise on Arcadia. This was our first cruise on this ship, having previously sailed on Oceana and Adonia (twice). We were with a group of three other couples, all good friends and P&O had kindly arranged for us to have our own table in the Meridian. This saved other people from having to put up with our jokes and giggling! Sorry to anyone who noticed our evident enjoyment. Two of the couples had never cruised before, and the other had never sailed with P&O before. The cruise virgins are now hooked, and already wanting to look at where we can go next year.
We enjoyed the ship, our balcony cabin was lovely, and as usual the staff, particularly our steward Jocelyn, were very helpful, friendly and professional. The food was excellent both in Meridian and Belvedere. Our only criticisms are that there is too much provision for smokers, particularly on the Aquarius pool area where there are 11 outside tables with comfortable chairs for them, and only 3 for the non smokers. they also have one entire side of the Promenade deck. The other is the continual sales effort from shops, spa and photographers. We are quite good at just ignoring it, but it can get a bit annoying after a while! I know that it is normal for Wifi to be expensive at sea on all cruise lines, but hopefully demand will bring about an improvement. If I could get Internet for the whole holiday at a reasonable price I would do it, and I'm sure I am not alone. Technology will catch up with demand one day as it is a problem to provide sufficient capacity and speed currently.
We celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary on one of the formal nights, and unknown to me (but not to our friends who kept the secret very well) my husband had arranged for us to have a Renewal of Vows with Captain Sarah Breton. What a fabulous evening! The Captain was delightful and made the whole event very special. Beautiful flowers, champagne and cake - what's not to like! During dinner the waiters sang Congratulations to us and in Electra afterwards the DJ played "our" song and the number one on the day of our wedding. It was an evening we will never forget.
We were blessed with good weather until the last few days, it only rained when we were ashore in Stockholm, and then only for a short period. All the ports of call were interesting and worth visiting. Scandinavia was as expensive as we are used to finding it. St Petersburgh is amazing and we were fascinated with the places we saw and talking to our guides Dmitry and Igor.
All in all a fantastic experience and can't wait for the next one!

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: J311 report

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Pandora,
Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise. Arcadia is my favourite ship and I am looking forward to cruising on it next year. The itinerary you did is on our wish list for hopefully next year.

We have heard very mixed reports about Sara Breton so it is good to read another positive view of her as she will be our Captain for the first part of our cruise next year.

Congratulations on your Wedding Anniversary and your renewal of vows.

Sue

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Thanks for your report. Glad you had such a lovely holiday

MicheleW
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MicheleW »

Lovely report - Arcadia is currently our favourite and we are looking forward to our cruise on her next month.

We also did the Baltic trip on Arcadia in 2010 and it is our favourite cruise so far.

Michele

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

Thanks Pandora!

We were on the same cruise and had a great time.

Everybody seemed more friendly - perhaps its being all slightly older! This was our 4th Baltic trip - the other 3 were just as wonderful and the weather also brilliant - we must be lucky charms!

I used the ship's computers and buy one of their internet plans. As usual - the internet connections were abysmally slow. We did get quite a good deal - "double minutes" for the usual price. To be honest - we were so busy having a good time that I didn't use all the time up!

This morning, I checked my mobile bill & found a few of the texts I sent cost 40p each. Ones from EU countries cost just 6p. I got caught sending 3 texts on the way home to arrange meeting times for disembarkation - I sent them in the "Norway area" as they all cost40p - even when we're not on Norwegian soil, Norway proves expensive!

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

we had friends on this cruise - P&O virgins though not cruise virgins - having 'done' Alaska.
We were very worried cos they booked it on the strength of OH telling them what wonderful times he'd had.

They had a wonderful time too - a great table helping enormously
Meg
x

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”