Dubai to Southampton April 2015

Reports about cruises on Arcadia

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Dubai to Southampton April 2015

Post by Kenmo1 »

Our 21.20 pm flight to Dubai was with Emirates on an A 380. One plane is much like another to me but my husband was impressed with the flight/the in-flight entertainment/ the food and drink etc and I was impressed with the generous luggage allowance of 30 kgs per person plus 7 kgs hand luggage each. We left England on a chilly Easter Saturday and arrived in Dubai where the temperature at 7.20 am was 33 degrees, unfortunately we were still wearing our cold weather gear. Despite all my worries about tablets being checked, covering shoulders etc we had no problems at immigration and sailed through with no problems.

As the cabins would not be ready at that time of the morning, PO had arranged for us all to be taken to the Hyatt Regency Hotel near the creek and we were provided with a very nice breakfast. We were then told that we would not be picked up to go to Arcadia until noon so had a couple of hours to waste, again still stuck in our heavier clothes. We tried to cross the road to the Creek and nearly got run over so decided to wander around the pavements alongside the Hyatt ( a 40 year old hotel but still in very good condition). Unfortunately the heat was too much and decided to go back into the air conditioned hotel and went to the small shopping mall and the ice rink in the hotel. One young teenage girl using the rink was exceptional so it gave us something interesting to watch and the time passed quickly.

We were collected at noon and taken to the port. In the haze caused by the heat we could see the Burj Kalipha but a lot of the area which we passed through looked just like a building site. Apparently a couple of days before Dubai had had a sand storm so that tended to add to the hazy, dusty looking scenery.

Late afternoon we met up with some friends who had done the world cruise and both had fabulous tans to show for it.

We had been allocated cabin G110, the last one shown on G deck at the back of the ship but there are about a dozen more cabins going further back which appear to be used for the entertainers, a fact which we found out later in the cruise when 3 noisy girl singers used to congregate outside G112 saying their goodnights to each other at 1.30 in the morning. We were also under the Meridian restaurant and were woken at 6 am most days as a trolley was wheeled along above our heads - so no need for an alarm call!!

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Dubai to Southampton April 2015

Post by GillD46 »

Looking forward to reading more :) I assume you're back now?
Gill

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Our first port of call was Muscat in Oman which looked extremely attractive compared to Dubai. It has retained its old feel and the sail in/out is worth being on deck for. The temperature at 9 am was 30 + so we caught the shuttle bus to the Muttrah Souk where the stallholders sell pashminas, pashminas and more pashminas. However, it was fairly cool in there. I thought I heard someone say the HOHO bus was 60 US dollars per person but we didn't go to check this out as we had decided to head back to the ship as the heat was getting to me.

I was talking to a man and lady on the shuttle and they had stayed in Dubai for a couple of days pre-cruise. They had used the metro and had not noticed the sign saying Ladies Only Carriage. Nothing was said to them at the time by the ladies around them but as they got off a lady in a burka had a real go at them in a very unpleasant way.

Some people had also had problems in Abu Dhabi when they had visited a mosque. A couple of women were refused entry to the mosque because they had crochet tops on through which their skin could be seen and the sleeves did not come down as far as their wrists.

When we got back to ship we went to see the maitre d to ask if we could be moved from the table for 2 which we had been allocated as we much prefer a table for 8. We were lucky to be allocated a table for 6 with 2 really nice couples on it who proved to be excellent company for the rest of the cruise.

4 days at sea followed before we reached Aqaba in Jordan where we were booked to go to Petra.

We had security patrols on deck and a portion was roped off where a large satellite dish was installed which emits a loud sound to deter pirates. There was also a Royal Navy lieutenant on board who was on loan to PO in an advisory capacity. The hose pipes were all laid out along the promenade deck under the rails ready for use. We had a letter from the captain saying that all curtains had to be closed at sunset and not opened until sunrise. Considering the last trip we had with Trevor Lane as captain when we only did about 12/13 knots all the time as sea, we were fairly belting along at 23/24 knots most of the days at sea on this cruise particularly through the area from Oman down round the Gulf of Aden and up to the Suez Canal.

We went to a couple of talks by Tim Wonnacott from Bargain Hunt - what a lovely charming man he is and genuinely friendly and interested in people. He didn't wait for the CD to introduce him, he arrived early each session and sat chatting to the audience until he was due to start his talk.

Al lunch time we were talking to some people who had not been allowed to stay on the ship from Singapore to Abu Dhabi because the ship was due to go to Mumbai and they had not obtained Indian Visas. They had to make their own arrangements for accommodation and flights to rejoin the ship in Abu Dhabi. Apparently, about 17 people were affected because they didn't have a visa. It looks like PO won't be going to India for a year or two until the visa situation gets sorted.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

GillD46 wrote:
Looking forward to reading more :) I assume you're back now?
Yes, Gill. Got back yesterday so have spent all day washing and catching up with the gardening. :tired:

Maureen

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

The day before Petra, Captain Lane said that we needed to be aware of the weather forecast for Petra as it was expected to be only 13 degrees. I think he was being a tad generous with that figure because it was freezing with a chilly wind which cut right through me even though I had a blouse, cardigan and thickish hoody on. Coming back out of Petra that evening we had some flakes of snow hit the windscreen.

We were provided with a meal at the Petra Palace Hotel and then made the long walk down through the gorge, all the time having to get out of the way of the horse drawn carriages which were up and down the gorge taking up a lot of room. Some places were easy to walk but others parts were uneven and stony so sensible shoes are required. Also as we got to the Treasury there was a little bit of a sandstorm for a few minutes. There were camels and donkeys laying around and loads of people so lots of noise but it was a stunning sight. After endless photos we walked on down to the 'city centre' where we wandered around the many stalls. Ken's knee started to play him up and I was freezing so we wandered slowly back up to the coach. We finally got back to the ship at 8pm, totally worn out but glad we had done the trip.

Next day was a sea day as we sailed fro the Gulf of Aqaba to go to the Suez Canal. As we approached the Suez area we saw a lot more ships and gas and oil rigs.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Captain Lane said we had arrived at the Suez Canal at 3 am hoping to be in the convoy at 7 am as the ship has to be there 4 hours before entering the Canal. However, the pilot didn't board until 10.30 am and a warship and a submarine would enter before us and one of the Aida cruise ships would follow in behind us.

We did the Panama Canal some years ago and thoroughly enjoyed going through the locks so having been told that there were no locks in the Suez Canal, we weren't expecting too much but it was absolutely fascinating. The port side from Suez is quite, even very green in places and Suez looks like a very big place. The starboard side was just desert, desert, desert with watchtowers along the route.

Everybody seems to be able to do a high pitched whistle and even the soldiers were waving to us. A helicopter kept flying over us and a tugboat followed close behind us. We were sat on the Aquarius deck right at the back and the kitchen was obviously using a lot of garlic in the cooking because it was wafting up to the Lido deck most of the day - must be a bit off putting for the aft cabins unless you like garlic.

The canal is very narrow until you reach the Great Bitter Lake. We saw a war memorial on the port side and a memorial in the shape of an AK rifle on the starboard side.We stayed up on deck until 6.30pm so that we could sail under the Suez Canal bridge. Captain Lane said we wouldn't reach Port Said until 8.30/9pm and it would be dark by then so we went down to get changed for dinner after taking photos of the bridge.

The next day was a sea day and I think a lot of flies had got on in Egypt and were damned annoying if you sat outside.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

We have been to the Acropolis in Athens and we have visited the Corinth Canal on previous trips to Athens so this time we just caught the HOHO bus to Athens for 10 euros each. It started off cool but later got hotter.We just stayed on the bus to do the route and had a good view of all the scaffolding surrounding the Parthenon !!!
After lunch on the ship we decided to wander across Piraeus to the Zea Marina where we strolled around in the pleasant sunshine. Later we walked back to the ship having asked directions a few times - every time we asked someone the way they would say go left but would stick their right arm out so we were never very sure if we were going the right way.

Next day was at sea and by this time our table companions and us had all developed the Arcadia cough. The shop had run out of cough sweets and cough medicine because there had been a really bad flu like chest infection which had spread around the ship since the start of the world cruise and some people had had the infection 2 or 3 times.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Oh I well remember our Suez Canal trips, both of them extremely interesting. I hope we get to do it again.

I am enjoying your reports.
Gill

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

The day in Athens was a nice long day with an evening departure and the day in Malta was the same. As we have called into Valletta several times we decided to catch the HOHO bus for 10 euros each. We caught a blue bus and paid for a 2 hour trip which was due to go to Mosta, Mdina and up round Golden Bay, Bugibba, Qwara and St Julians Bay and Sliema. However, when we got to Mdina the driver told us the bus was going back to Valletta and we would need to get another bus. We didn't want to risk going into Mdina and not getting the correct bus so we stayed with other passengers awaiting another bus. The next bus took us to Sliema and we had to change buses yet again to get back to Valletta. We spent the rest of the afternoon in Valletta. There is a new lift which takes you up and down from the Upper Barrakka Gardens. We would like to spend a week in Malta - we always enjoy our visits there.

Another sea day so went to the talk by Laurence McGinty of ITV news. In the evening there was a really good singer in the Palladium called Zack Winningham - well worth going to see.

Another sea day followed.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Our last port visit, Lisbon. We made the mistake of catching the chargeable (£4 per person if due to pay) to the town. A big mistake because you waste a lot of time in traffic jams and it would have been easier to walk. Once we got to the town we realised we really didn't want to wander around the shops as we have been to Lisbon several times. We walked back down to Black Horse Square and then wandered to the right along the river towards the 25th April bridge. We spotted the ferries going backwards and forwards across the Tagus so thought we would try to get to the Christ the King monument. We got on a ferry at Cais de Sodre (?). A return trip for 2.90 euros per person. This took us to Cacilhas right next to the bus terminal. You need bus route 101 and you pay 2 euros per person for a return ticket to the Cristo Rei Statue and you buy the bus ticket on the bus. This stops just behind the statue and as you walk to the front of it you can really appreciate the size of it. It was 4 euros per person to go up in the lift. The view was superb and you can look right down on to the bridge and see all the cars going over. You can only go to the top of the plinth - I didn't see anything to indicate that there is a way into the actual statue but my goodness it is well worth a visit, The ferries run frequently and the buses run every half an hour. We arrived back on the ship about 3pm feeling very pleased with ourselves at having done the visit.

The Walk Like a Man group was on in the Palladium and we enjoyed their Jersey Boys show.

The next day, a sea day, we had to do face to face immigration ready for Southampton and received back our passports which had been held by reception from the time we boarded the ship.

Last sea day the show was split between Zack Winningham and Walk Like a Man.

Home by 10.30 am on 23rd April.

I know I wouldn't want to do a World Cruise and I am unlikely to return to the Middle East as I struggled with the heat. I preferred the warm sunny days in Athens, Malta and Lisbon.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Great review Maureen and it sounds as if you had a great time :thumbup:
Jo

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Maurreen

Just spent a very pleasant 20 minutes reading your review and have to say it was without doubt the best review l have ever read :thumbup: .... In fact you could say it was hot hot hot from start to finish :)

Regards

keith :wave:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thank you for posting your excellent report.

Arcadia is one of my favourite ships. We are hoping to do a leg of a world cruise in the next few years, and Petra is a place we'd love to visit, so your experiences we of great interest.

It sounds like you enjoyed your cruise.
Gill

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Very Interesting read. There isn't a lot to see in Dubai. We added on 3 days post cruise last year and it was long enough to see what we wanted to see. The Burj Khalifa and the fountains were the highlight of Dubai for me.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

The first time we went to Dubai, we actively disliked it, but I must admit last year, when we were on QM2, we thoroughly enjoyed our couple of days there. Especially our evening at the Burj Al Arab which was fantastic.
Gill

Cruiseaway
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Cruiseaway »

Just found your review and saw your cabin number. We are in this area for the upcoming World Cruise and wondered if you could advise re engine noise level. I see you had problem with restaurant noise but we are very early risers so that's not too bad and noise from other people at night or morning will not cause a problem, it's whether there is a continual loud propellor noise. Would have sent private message but cannot find the option on this site. Many thanks

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Cruiseaway wrote:
.... Would have sent private message but cannot find the option on this site. Many thanks
Hello and welcome.

The PM facility is not available, initially, to new Members.

Regards, MobyMod :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Cruiseaway wrote:
Just found your review and saw your cabin number. We are in this area for the upcoming World Cruise and wondered if you could advise re engine noise level. I see you had problem with restaurant noise but we are very early risers so that's not too bad and noise from other people at night or morning will not cause a problem, it's whether there is a continual loud propellor noise. Would have sent private message but cannot find the option on this site. Many thanks
Hello Cruiseaway.

I don't remember any loud constant noise but my husband always says I can sleep in the middle of the M1. The only noise we were aware of was from what we assumed was trolleys being pushed around in the area above us about 6ish in the morning but, like you, we are early risers and evening noise wasn't too bad except the two nights the girl singers said goodnight to each other quite loudly. We tend to go to bed after midnight/1am and I think I had just dozed off when they said their goodbyes outside the cabin so rather came to with a jolt. I always pack earplugs but I can't remember ever needing to use them. We like being down on that level - it is convenient for getting on and off on shore days and I always feel there is less movement in rough weather. Sea days we hardly ever spend any time in our cabin - we just wash and change and sleep in them so I can't tell you what daytime noise you would hear.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your cruise. Maureen. :wave:

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”