Sue Kersh's Epic Adventure

Reports about cruises on Arcadia

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sue Kersh's Epic Adventure

Post by Dennis The Menace »

As this is the first of Sue's (and Garry's) updates I feel I should first remind everyone to always get paralytic responsibly :lol:

Enjoy!

Hi all,

In Southampton today off the ship as they are doing another deep clean to try to rid Arcadia of the Noro Virus. We have both been fine but lots of passengers have succumbed.

Will try to post updates as we start the world cruise but it won't be daily due to the increased cost of purchasing the ships internet package.

New Year Cruise on Arcadia 28 December - 2 January 2017

Southampton.
The day finally arrived when we started our long ago planned epic cruise of 119 nights.

We travelled down yesterday and stayed overnight at the Holiday inn Express. First time in this hotel as our usual one was closed for the festive period. It ticked all the boxes for an overnight stay and the fresh coffee at breakfast was the best I have tasted at a budget hotel.

We had an embarkation time of 12:30 and after dropping our car at an under cover car park we had a taxi to the Mayflower terminal. A slight hitch when even though we had informed them about the amount of luggage we had it wouldn't all fit in the taxi. The car park guy soon sorted it and followed the taxi with the rest of the luggage. We were directed to the Priority area for tea and coffee and cake whilst we waited for the ship to be sanitised after a bout of Norovivus on the previous cruise.

We were on board for 1 pm and having our first glass of champers and lunch whilst we waited for the cabins to be completed which was about 2 pm. I managed to finish another 3 glasses of champers by then but didn't dare have more due to the task of unpacking the luggage.

All of our 7 pieces of luggage had arrived and we managed to get the Cabin about 90 percent sorted before we attended the muster drill at 4 pm.
The cabin steward has stored three pieces of luggage for us and the rest together with the hand luggage has fit under the bed. One case with larger sized clothes in has stayed packed ready for the final segments of the cruise if necessary.

We had dinner in freedom dining and had no problem getting a table for 2 just after 7 pm. The head wine steward recognised us from the September cruise and assured us that the rosé wine we had ordered was still intact and had our name on it. We decided to keep the rosé for warmer climes and instead purchased a 12 bottle wine package.

The wine waiter told us that the Stoneburn Sauv Blanc was once again in short supply. Just hope they stock up before the World cruise.

The Headliners troupe performed a very energetic Christmas Jingle Bell Rock in the Palladium theatre. They were down to 10 members not sure if this was due to ill health or other reasons.

After the show we had an early night in readiness for Zebrugge tomorrow. No sea day to relax until Friday.

Zebrugge 29 December 2016

We arrived early to a very foggy Zebrugge. I was disappointed that there was no early stretch and relax class so I condoned myself with a leisurely cooked breakfast in the main dining room.

We got the shuttle into Blankenburge which dropped off just outside the station to Bruges and lots of fellow pax headed there. We made the decision to stay in Blankenburge to see what was there. It was sooooo cold even though we were dressed for it the cold seemed to seep through to every extremity and the wind was fierce especially by the sea front. I was amazed at the cleanliness and size of the sandy beach. If only it was 80 degrees warmer I could have appreciated it more.

We found a local coffee shop and warmed up whilst using the free wifi to contact our youngest granddaughter as it was her 6 th birthday. After that it was how quickly we could get from one centrally heated shop to another. The library was another sanctuary again with free Wi Fi and central heating. We found lots of local information in there and a very friendly staff, but sightseeing just wasn't on my agenda as I could only think about keeping out of the cold.

As ice crystals were forming on our eye lashes and eyebrows (the only body parts showing) we made our way back to the shuttle and the promise of some hot soup once we reached Arcadia.

As we arrived back into the cabin a steward arrived bearing gifts. Lovely chocolates, a huge bowl of fruit and a bottle of wine. I would rather have the friend that sent them here with us but as that is not possible we will think of him as we enjoy them.
The evening show was a comedian Jeff Stevenson who was excellent. I am not normally a fan of comedians but he kept the audience laughing all the way through his act without being smutty or swearing and no old regurgitated ship jokes.

It was a late night stop with a back on board time of 10:30 p.m. I doubt that any pax took advantage of this late night call as the temperatures dropped even further as the fog thickened.

Sea Day to Hamburg 30 December

I started the day with the exercise classes only 3 passengers for the stretch & relax class and then only 2 of us stayed to be tortured for the fab abs class, very different to the September cruise when there were so many passengers attending mats were in short supply.

A relaxing sea Day and chance to catch our breath and finish sorting out the cabin. The sea was like a mill pond and it hardly felt like the ship was moving. A much better day weather wise and the sun came out making it a very pleasant sea day as we cruised Northwards.

Battle of the sexes quiz at 12:15 am and the ladies finished the session in the lead. A lot of passengers taking part and it was a good friendly quiz.

Instead of the advertised show of Blame it on the Boogie The Headliners performed a new show called Money makes the World go by. The troupe were up to 11 members and it made a nice change to see a new show. I hope there will be more of them.

To say it is a New Year cruise it was very subdued around the ship. Lots going on to choose from but passengers not wanting to participate or mix due to the threat of the Noro Virus. There were regular announcements from the Bridge regarding staying healthy and precautions were still in place in the restaurants and public rooms.

Hamburg New Years Eve

The Captain docked early and turned the ship around in readiness for the firework display at midnight. The fog was intense with very limited visibility.

The early morning exercise class ran later than normal due to the fitness instructor sleeping in. Still only 3 of us for the class and he offered us a free Pilates class tomorrow to make up for his tardiness but I doubt I will take him up on his offer after the festivities tonight.

Noro has reared its ugly head again and Arcadia has moved to a higher level of sanitisation. There were no condiments on the table at breakfast and the waiters were serving everything with tongs. I have not used the buffet at all so not sure how they are dealing with it in there.

It does put a dampener on things and every time someone coughs or sneezes heads turn and everyone moves away or covers their mouth and nose. When a gentleman sneezed very loudly on the shuttle bus there was a deathly silence and for a few seconds I wondered if everyone was going to vacate the bus. Instead everyone stopped talking and covered their faces with scarves and jumpers.

The shuttle bus dropped us into the town centre which being New Years Eve was exceptionally busy. It was very cold and the fog made it difficult to appreciate the architecture of the city. We had a coffee with free Wi Fi in the shopping centre but after a couple of hours traipsing around we decided to call it a day and headed back to the ship. Such a shame that our first visit here was foggy and cold and hope that next year we are luckier with the weather but as it will be the same time of year it may be just as bad. I need to do a summer cruise here to be able to appreciate it.

This was the only formal night of the cruise and the passengers all looked very glamorous in their New Year finery.

We ate in the Ocean Grill which was as usual superb but we didn't get out of there until after 9:30 pm which meant that we missed the show in the theatre and every venue was packed out. We finally found seats and had drinks in the Piano bar and were kept entertained by some of the Headliners troupe until it was time to make our way up onto the deck for the firework display. We called at the cabin to collect the champagne hats and coats but the view was so good from the balcony as well as being much warmer and we could hear the music and New Year announcements from the deck that we decided to stay on the balcony. Most of the balconies around us were occupied so everyone had the same idea. It was a great atmosphere and the fireworks were fantastic and appeared to be never ending.

Another great New Years Eve on board Arcadia just a pity we weren't in the sultry Caribbean.

Final Sea Day January 1 st 2017
I woke up feeling very groggy from the amount of alcohol and very rich food consumed last night. I thought about going to the exercise class for a millisecond but instead took a tablet and immediately went back to sleep. I finally got up just after 9 am which is at least 4 hours later than normal.

After more tablets I felt just okay enough to tackle the smoked salmon and scrambled egg breakfast. Everyone I spoke to thoroughly enjoyed the New Year Celebrations including the crew who had partied the night away.

Battle of the sexes before lunch and the ladies were victorious and the men bowed to our superiority.

We opted for a room service lunch as I really needed to go back to bed as the motion of the Ocean had begun to affect me. Nothing to do with the alcohol consumed last night. I slept the afternoon away and felt fine by dinner time.

The final Headliners show was Killer Queen. New costumes since the last time we saw this show and with the special lighting effects it had certainly been revamped. Always a show worth watching and this was certainly a Grand Finale to the cruise.

Tomorrow we are back in Southampton and we have been asked to disembark for a few hours so that the ship can have another deep clean in readiness for the World Cruise.
P & O are adding a generous amount onto our on board account to pay for a taxi into town and to purchase refreshments. As we intended to go into Southampton anyway to stock up on cabin essentials this is an added bonus.

Overall a good cruise which has given us the chance to relax and prepare for the World Cruise but I am so looking forward to reaching the warmer weather as we sail South towards the Caribbean tomorrow.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Sue Kersh's Epic Adventure

Post by GillD46 »

Oh I shall very much enjoy following you on your Epic Adventure. Hope you have a wonderful, wonderful time xx
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Hi all, decided to splash out on the internet for 24 hours.

Southampton

We docked very early and were woken up at 04:30 by an announcement regarding a medical emergency in a cabin nearby. Hope whoever it was is okay.

We had been asked to disembark the ship to enable it to be deep cleaned so we headed into Southampton for 9 o clock. P & O had kindly given us extra OBC of £30 each to compensate for the inconvenience of leaving the ship. The majority of passengers had already disembarked as after a short cruise many do self disembarkation and carry their cases off with them. Taxis were waiting at the Ocean terminal.

A bright sunny day in Southampton but quite cold. After shopping to stock up on Schweppes tonic and other cabin essentials we had lunch, then just after 1 pm headed back to the ship where we embarked on the crew gangway.

P & O had given us vouchers for free drinks as due to the deep clean there was no priority lounge on board. Passengers had just started embarking and the bars were beginning to fill up as the cabins were not ready. We returned to our cabin to find chocolates and a fruit basket had been delivered.

A very nice touch was the Brass Band playing on the Aft deck up until it was time to go to muster drill.

As we waited on the aft deck for the ships lines to be undone ice started forming on the deck making the surface very slippery. It was bitterly cold as we drank our champagne and toasted the fabulous adventure we were about to set off on. The sailaway was memorable as we entered Southampton harbour and the firework display sent us on our way.

The preventative measures in the dining room had not been lifted but the Captain assured everyone that hopefully by Madeira things should get back to normal service.

John Bartram the Entertainment manager introduced his very small team of entertainment officers and the Headliners performed a few song and dance routines with the orchestra backing them.

When we returned to the cabin we found vouchers to buy alcohol for consumption in the cabin. It was one voucher per person and only for passengers doing the full order cruise. We had expected to have to wait until the end of the first leg before we could replenish our diminishing supplies.

A great start to our 114 night adventure.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

It's bitterly cold here so I am very envious of you getting away from winter. Enjoy your goodies.
Gill

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Hi Sue,
We are on Ventura and we've been watching you from our aft balcony. Not sure if you're still there this morning as it's been very misty. We understand we are docking in Madeira the same time as you but that you leave the same evening while we don't leave until 00.30hrs! Hoping for better weather in Madeira, yesterday was initially sunny although cold, today doesn't look so promising. Hope the Norovirus has now gone and that you are in for a healthy trip. We will be joining you on the South America trip next year.
Have a wonderful, healthy cruise.

Carole

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

CaroleF wrote:
Hi Sue,
We are on Ventura and we've been watching you from our aft balcony. Not sure if you're still there this morning as it's been very misty. We understand we are docking in Madeira the same time as you but that you leave the same evening while we don't leave until 00.30hrs! Hoping for better weather in Madeira, yesterday was initially sunny although cold, today doesn't look so promising. Hope the Norovirus has now gone and that you are in for a healthy trip. We will be joining you on the South America trip next year.
Have a wonderful, healthy cruise.

Carole
Hi Carole, yes we could see Ventura and had been told by a friend on Oriana that Ventura and Arcadia would be in Madeira together. Noro is still a threat and precautions are in place but not spoiling the enjoyment or anticipation of the cruise.

Have a fabulous cruise. See you next year on Aurora.

Sue

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Good reviews as usual, keep up the good work! I shall enjoy reading all about your Epic Adventure apart from feeling slightly jealous;)

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

1 st Sea Day to Madeira

I made the early morning exercise classes which were attended by only 4 other ladies but as it wasn't advertised in the Horizon newspaper I expect it will get busier from tomorrow,especially when word gets around about how hunky the two male gym instructors are.

Garry has booked the Hydrotherapy pool for the first sector. Cost was £179 for 1 person or £279 per couple. I decided not to for this sector as I wanted to spend the time he is in there doing exercise or in the gym. He goes early morning as the spa opens when hopefully it is at its cleanest. I do worry that the spa may be the place these virus's are transmitted from one person to another.

The laundries are still closed due to the Noro so no washing can be done yet, some passengers will already be getting withdrawal symptoms from the laundry gossip. As it is too cold to go commando I needed to wash some underwear in bath. Hopefully the laundries will open again soon.

The day was dry and sunny and Ventura stayed in our sight for most of the morning. The Bob has been like a mill pond as Arcadia is tootling along at around15 knots

The spa raffle was drawn in the gym but once again I wasn't lucky enough to win one of the £50 or £100 vouchers.

A full day of Activities going on around the ship with plenty of choices to suit most people, including Art and Craft classes, Dance classes with Brenda and Geoffrey and also the Headliners teaching line dancing and salsa steps, various sporting activities, Bridge, Spanish language class, digital camera classes, various quizzes, spa talks, and Bingo. The guest speakers are Eric Knowles of Antique Roadshow Fame talking about Lalique and Paul Brown discussing the Life and Loves of Nelson in Antigua. Impossible to fit everything in but great to have plenty of choices.

The Spanish class was well attended with around 60 passengers showing an interest. There will be 2 classes every Sea day for approximately 6 weeks before Iris the tutor departs the ship in Tahiti. Hopefully I may brush up on my very limited bar Spanish and also learn a little more.

The Ladies won the first day in the Battle of the Sexes quiz but it was a hard fought battle.

We visited the duty free shop and stocked up on Gin - 2 bottles of Larios for £14.00 on a deal which meant that with our 2 world cruise vouchers we could buy 4 bottles. That should keep me going for a while. I am trying to build in 2 alcohol free days per week into the cruise. I managed New Years Day without it which after NYEves consumption was no great hardship and today is my planned second alcohol free day.

We ordered room service lunch as we didn't want to go to the buffet or the main dining room and spent a lazy relaxing afternoon reading and catching up with e mails etc. It is so nice to do nothing much but know there are plenty of other options just outside the cabin door.

Dinner in the main dining room was very busy and we shared a table with another couple who are also on the full world cruise. Very interesting to chat and compare notes about the ports we will be visiting. No wine was consumed so still on target.

We missed the early evening Classical concert in the Globe but reports back were that it was excellent. Not really our thing but may make time to see them later in the cruise.

Comedian Mickey Zany was in the theatre and although we had seen him before he was very funny and had changed his act. The audience appeared to really appreciate his humour and there is a group on board who liked to get involved with his act which of course gave him more material.

There was dancing in the retreat with Geoffrey & Brenda along with the music of George Michael in the Globe, and A night at the races in the Rising sun. Plenty of choices around the ship in the different venues.

Tomorrow is another sea day and our 1 st formal night of the World cruise. Unfortunately the Captains Welcome on Board has been postponed until the threat of Noro Virus is over.

Mission accomplished and I have got through the alcohol free day.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

:thumbup: I was hoping to find a way to cheer me up until Easter arrives and hopefully some warmer weather, so your reports are going to go down a treat. thank you for taking the time to write them on your epic journey, I hope to be doing this myself some day.
regards gilly.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Wed 4 January 2017

As I suspected the morning exercise class was packed and Stefan had to do a stand up stretch class as there were not enough mats to go round. The abs class that followed had to be split into 2 classes. I did the first one then as the second one wasn't full I stayed for that as well.

I did point out to Stefan that there were no cleaning wipes available for the mats and with the high sanitary precautions in place because of the Nora Virus there should be. He is going to speak to reception about it and also ask for more mats. I will take my own mat tomorrow.

The laundry reopened today, perhaps a sign that restrictions are being lifted slightly although still no condiments on the table at breakfast.

The day is not as clear as yesterday but the temperature has improved and at noon it was 15 degrees with a very slight sea swell.
We got through the BOB and I didn't feel a thing. We have sailed 365 nautical miles and are 147 miles NW of Oporto.

The ladies were victorious again in the Battle of the Sexes but the men didn't take it as well as yesterday with lots of barracking going on. Abi took it in her stride and dealt with them. She may not be very tall but is very authoritative when it is called for.

Two guest speakers in the Palladium theatre with Paul Brown in the morning telling the story of Christopher Columbus and Phil Holt in the afternoon discussing Donald Campbell and the 50th Anniversary of the crash of the Bluebird and the death of Donald.

The 1 st of 28 formal nights but no Captains Welcome on Board Party because of the threat of Noro Virus which is still hanging over us.

Marco Pierre Whites Beef Wellington menu at dinner so I will have to wait for another night for my lobster but I did have the port marinated Stilton to finish my dinner. After my alcohol free day yesterday the bottle of Billy Billy Shiraz went down exceptionally well.

The show was Jacqui Scott vocalist who was a very talented singer and Piano player, who performed excellently despite having a very bad cold.

The first ball of the cruise hosted by Jeffrey and Brenda in the Globe was very well attended. The Group New Wave kept good tempo for ballroom and Latin dancing.

As a reward for my abstinence yesterday I tried a Cocktail of the Day which was Long Beach Iced Tea. There wasn't much dancing done after I had finished that.

Thursday 5 January

Final sea day before Madeira.

Another early morning start and I attended both exercise classes which were full but not as crowded as yesterday.

Mid morning the Captain announced that from noon the Noro Virus restrictions would be lifted but that care should still be taken to help prevent any recurrence.

The sea has changed colour overnight and instead of being dirty grey is now a turquoise blue. The skies are still overcast with the sun trying valiantly but failing to burn them off. The noon temperature was 17 degrees. All bodes well for Madeira tomorrow.

The Spanish classes started properly with beginners at 10 am and Improvers at 3 pm. The Crows nest is not an ideal venue and many pax turned up late for the early class disrupting the tutor and then complained that they couldn't see or hear her properly. The later class was much better and lots of fairly fluent Spanish speakers.

The Battle of the Sexes continued with the theme 'Date Night'. Not as interesting as it sounds as it was musical themes from films. Some were very easy and others more obscure. The men did very well and won the day. The ladies are still in the lead overall but only by 5 points.

I am going for another alcohol free day today. Can you see my halo? The next free days will definitely not be alcohol free.

Our invite arrived for the Captains Welcome Aboard party which is on Saturday the next formal night.

Tomorrow we reach our first port of call Madeira.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Are Geoffrey and Brenda the same dance instructors who were on Arcadia for the Caribbean with us last Christmas? We had several breakfasts and lunches with Geoffrey - he is quite a character and has some great stories to tell.

Thanks for the usual excellent reports - almost makes me feel like I am there !

It seems all the ships are cutting back on Ents staff - we only had the Manager (the excellent Michael Mullane), an Assistant Manager and 3 others (one of whom was worse than useless) on Oriana at Christmas. It seems one other had to be taken off just before our cruise after she broke her ankle trying to teach Mr Useless to line dance ! As a result, no daytime themed quizzes or music quizzes, other than a lunchtime general knowledge one on port days.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

qbman1 wrote:
Are Geoffrey and Brenda the same dance instructors who were on Arcadia for the Caribbean with us last Christmas? We had several breakfasts and lunches with Geoffrey - he is quite a character and has some great stories to tell.

Thanks for the usual excellent reports - almost makes me feel like I am there !

It seems all the ships are cutting back on Ents staff - we only had the Manager (the excellent Michael Mullane), an Assistant Manager and 3 others (one of whom was worse than useless) on Oriana at Christmas. It seems one other had to be taken off just before our cruise after she broke her ankle trying to teach Mr Useless to line dance ! As a result, no daytime themed quizzes or music quizzes, other than a lunchtime general knowledge one on port days.
Hi QB. Yes it is still Brenda and Geoffrey. Very dapper he is looking too.

Great cruise so far. Next report has been sent to DTM.

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Enjoying your reports Sue, we loved Arcadia.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Morning all, had a dodgy day yesterday so apologies for delay :

Friday 6 January - Madeira
We docked around 7:30 ish just in the middle of the early morning exercise class ( just thought I would get that in in case you thought I was slacking) and the Captain reversed in ready for the sailaway later this afternoon. We had the prime berth closest to the town. Ventura followed us in and parked behind us. We were surprised as Ventura stays overnight in port so Arcadia will have to move sidewards to sail past Ventura. before sailing off.

The ship is charging £4 each way for saver fare passengers for a very short shuttle bus ride into the town. Many were walking the short distance.

We have a great view from our aft balcony of the rugged terrain of Madeira towards Reeds Hotel. The sun shone very briefly during the morning before it clouded over again.

We caught the shuttle into town and had an hours free internet in the shopping centre before continuing to the Mercado dos Lavradores. This is not a launderette as the name suggests but is the Workers Market. Fridays are exceptionally busy in there with the farmers from the countryside coming into Funchal to sell their produce. The market was full of beautiful flowers, wicker baskets, meat , cheese fish, wine, touristy tat and every type of vegetable and fruit imaginable along with some very unusual phallic shaped specimens. It was all very colourful with lots of atmosphere. I sampled some different types of fruit and tried out some of the very limited Portuguese words I had learned. The only ones they understood were Ola and Obrigada.

Across the road from the market is the Pingo Doce supermarket. We went on a Schweppes tonic hunt but should have gone there first as between the Arcadia pax and Ventura pax the shelves of small cans of Tonic and Coke had been decimated.
I managed to bag three packs of tonics in small bottles. The pack I left on the shelf whilst trying to decide if I could manage to carry that as well as everything else was soon snapped up. There was only Only 1 pack of Coke Zero cans and then there was none. As the saying goes snooze and you lose. I now have 44 cans / bottles of Schweppes tonic stashed along with 6 bottles of fever tree for emergency use. That should last me until I reach America and can hopefully restock. There may be a chance in Barbados but as I will be desperate to reach the Tikki cocktail bar and beach by then I suspect the shelves in the port area will have been cleared by the time we return.

The weather had worsened so we decided to head back to the ship with our booty and luckily there was a taxi right outside which for 6 Euros including tip took us back to the Arcadia.

The sun came out mid afternoon and was full on our balcony which for the first time this cruise we made use of. So nice to get my lily white legs into the sun and the refreshing Gin and tonic tasted so much better whilst I was soaking up the rays and people watching. The sailaway was a very noisy affair with the Ventura pax joining in even though they weren't sailing away. The Captains competed for the longest/noisiest horn but I have no idea which one claimed the prize.

The clock goes back by an hour in the early hours of the morning and will need to go back three more before we reach Barbados on Thursday.

Sat 7 Jan 1 st of 5 Sea Days to Barbados.

Clocks went back 1 hour now GMT -1

I love the 25 hour days as I still wake up at the same time and feel like there is no rush. The sea was quite choppy during the night and the Atlantic pot holes haven't been filled in since we crossed it in September. We now know we are definitely on a cruise ship.

I got to the the early morning exercise early and managed to do half an hour of Pilates on my own before the stretch class began. The class was full and once again they ran out of mats.

When I returned to the cabin the sun was making an appearance but soon disappeared behind thick cloud. It came out intermittently throughout the day and the temperature reached 19 degrees.

Eric Knowles was the morning guest speaker about the Life of Louis Comfort Tiffany. Two speakers in the afternoon Just Plain Phil whose topic was Piracy and then Diane Simpson whose subject was not very clear in the Horizon with the title A very revealing look through the Johari Window. As I didn't attend so I am still no clearer as to what she talked about.

The beginners Spanish Class was once again very well attended but as the weather gets better the attendance will decrease. It is very basic but is fun and a good way to meet other passengers.

Straight after the Spanish Class I had arranged a meet up of some fellow cruisers who I had met through facebook and/or Cruise Critic. Nigel the bar manager had kindly arranged for tea and coffee to be served in the Viceroy room. The meet was very well attended and we will now recognise each other around the ship. It was great to finally put faces to names after corresponding with each other for over a year on the internet.

Battle of the sexes continued and the men were once again victorious and are now 15 points in the lead but tomorrow is another day.

2nd formal night and the Captains Welcome Aboard party. The drinks flowed well and although I couldn't hear everything Captain Luko Vojvodina said we chatted with various officers and other passengers for so long we missed the start of the show in the Palladium. A trio of girls called Virtuosity. We will make sure we see their next show.

2nd ball of the cruise in the Globe which was once again well attended.
The trio Groove Saloon were not as good at keeping strict tempo as Blue wave but it was a great night. As usual Geoffrey was an excellent host and ensured all of the single ladies got to dance with him and Brenda was equally attentive to the single men although as there are not as many of them she also dances as a man with the ladies.

When we returned to the cabin there were lovely World Cruise gifts from P & O waiting for us. Leather bound notebooks and pens which had been engraved to commemorate the 180 th anniversary and the Arcadia 2017 World Cruise. There was also gift sets of P & O nostalgic postcards. Very Nice.

Sunday 8 January 2 nd of 5 sea days to Barbados.

My last day of being a fifty something year old, but I intend to greet my sixties enthusiastically. It is only a number after all albeit a rather large one.

We are settling into the routine of sea days. Early morning exercise for me followed by breakfast and for Garry early breakfast followed by a walk around the prom deck and then an hour in the spa. We meet back at the cabin around 9:15 for a short catch up before I head off to the Spanish class in the Crows Nest at 10 a.m.

The sun was on the balcony when I left and it was hard to tear myself away from it. I doubt I will be continuing with the beginners Spanish lessons for much longer.

When I returned it was still there so I quickly settled down to soak up the rays. The temperature is in the low 20 s but feels much hotter when in the sun.

An invite arrived for the first World Cruisers coffee morning on Tuesday. This will give us the opportunity to meet fellow pax who are also going all the way round. Apparently there are 492 of us which is approximately 1/4 of the ship.

The Ladies took the lead back from the men in the Battle of the Sexes and I made a swift exit and headed back to the cabin for lunch in the sun on the balcony. As I had designated this as my 3 rd alcohol free day of the cruise no wine was consumed.

The sun only lasted a couple more hours before the heavens opened and it lashed it down. I had had enough sun by this time anyway.

I went to the improvers Spanish but the numbers were much reduced.

There was a Classical concert in the Globe and Craig Halliday a Rock Violinist in the theatre. Luckily we got there early as it was standing room only. He's was excellent and could certainly make his instrument sing.

The clocks go back another hour during the early hours of the morning.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Monday 9 January 3 rd sea Day to Barbados

My birthday started off really well. I opened my cards from family and friends that Garry had brought with us, before I went to the early morning gym session. I was given a huge birthday hug and kiss by the very hunky gym instructor Stefan. Phew! I could do with that every morning.

When I returned from the gym Garry had decorated the cabin door and our balcony with Birthday banners and as there were so many cards we ran out of magnets to hold them up so he had blue tacked the rest to the walls of the cabin. Now everyone who passes our door which being on the very aft thankfully isn't many, knows I have turned 60.

Our cabin steward acted as postman and delivered more cards personally and each time sang Happy Birthday. He is so lovely.

Garry actually accompanied me to breakfast in the main dining room as it was my favourite Eggs Benedict. It was even better than usual and I was glad I had decided not to have the champagne breakfast.

The sun was on our balcony but I tore myself away to go to the Spanish Class and everyone sang Happy Birthday in Spanish to me.

We had lunch on the balcony in the sun then prepared for my afternoon balcony party.

The cake and ice bucket for the bottles of champagne arrived and my friends soon followed. Three couples and a single man plus us. We are all doing the full world cruise and have met during various activities on board. We had had some rain showers in the morning but the weather behaved and we all had a fabulous afternoon. I can recommend the chocolate birthday cake from the ship. It was excellent.

After they had left we managed to contact our family via messenger and chat on line to our Sons and Granddaughters. Very funny (not) when Amelia said 'Happy Birthday Nana you are very old now. '

I felt sorry for our cabin steward when I saw how many empties we were leaving behind as well as the dirty plates and rubbish.

We had dinner in the Ocean Grill. The lobster was amazing as usual and I knew Garry was more than happy with his Sherry Trifle Wally Ladd when he started making the 'Harry met Sally' noises.

We danced the night away in the Globe to the sounds of the Orchestra. There are so many dancers on this ship that the venue is always packed.

It was a fabulous night to end a fabulous day.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Slightly late birthday greetings, Sue. Glad you are having a lovely time.

Maureen

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Belated birthday greeting Sue. Achieving that age - and then some in my case - really isn't so bad! What a lovely way to celebrate.
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Tuesday 10 Jan 4 th sea Day to Barbados

I wasn't certain I would make the early morning exercise class after the excesses of yesterday but I did.

The sun was up when I returned so I decided on fruit for breakfast sat on the balcony. The fruit basket is replenished weekly by room service but Garry tops it up from the buffet as well so there was a nice selection.

The Round The World Coffee Morning started at 10:30 and some passengers must have been desperate for a cup of coffee and a cookie as when we arrived at the allotted time the queue went on forever. Officers were serving tea and coffee and handing out the cookies.
We heard from a lady on the table that a man had been seriously hurt whilst playing cricket and unfortunately will have to disembark in Barbados to be hospitalised and operated on. Such a shame for him and his wife. We had noticed that the ship had speeded up considerably but were not aware why.

The Captains noon announcement confirmed what we had been told and that we would be arriving in Barbados at 11 p.m. Tomorrow night.
This means that because we have only put our clocks back by 2 hours so far we now need to put them back another 2 hours tonight.

I swerved the Battle of the Sexes in favour of the sun and we lunched on the balcony but didn't have wine as after the copious amounts of alcohol yesterday I have designated today as my 4 th alcohol free day of the cruise.

By 2:30 pm the sun had moved off the balcony but it was still very warm.

The Spanish class was about Nationalities and flags. Lucky for me I was teamed up with Paul who is accompanying Iris the tutor. Although Paul isn't a fluent Spanish speaker he knows the basics and helped me through the practical conversations.

Freedom Dining is becoming a bit of a chore this cruise. There seems to be a queue whatever time we decide to go down to eat. Not sure why it is different this cruise but we have decided to ask for a change to club dining for the next section of the cruise.
The food has been excellent and we are enjoying the new menus. There is always plenty of choice on the menus.

Tomorrow is our final Sea day before we reach Barbados.

Wed 11 January Final Sea Day before Barbados

Woah we're going to Barbados.

The clocks went back 2 hours during the night and at 2 am this morning I was wide awake . I must have dozed but at 5 am I just had to get up.

The exercise class was packed out again. I had got up there early to get some of my own exercises done and when I turned round I realised a guy had plonked himself within 2 inches of me. It isn't that there is a shortage of room just a shortage of mats. He hadn't got a mat so just sat on the floor between me and another person so that he was almost touching both of us. Grrrr. I do like my own space! At least he only stayed for the stretch class.

The sun was on the balcony and hot hot hot. By 10 a m I was ready for a break so went to the Spanish Class before resuming my spot in the sun.

I still haven't been up on deck but have heard many pax complaining that the aft pool was closed. We had been informed that essential maintenance needed to be carried out over a few days and that it would be opened as soon as possible. Today it is open which means since the weather only got hot enough to sunbathe on the deck and swim a couple of days ago they really haven't missed much time. The other pool was open as were all of the other decks with sun beds as well as a large part of the aft deck, I think some people cruise to whinge.

We lunched on the balcony and I had my first beer of the cruise. We had bought some in Bruges but it was so cold there that I didn't drink it. It was lovely, well chilled and sat in the sun gazing out at the wake. These alcohol free days certainly make me appreciate the non alcohol free ones. I hadn't realised how strong it was until I stood up. It was a Leffe Blonde with Alc. 6.6 % vol.

My Spanish was muy perfecto at the Improvers Class or perhaps I just thought it was because of the beer.

Late afternoon I had a phone call from the tours desk cancelling my Curaçao speedboat and snorkel trip. Gutted! ! They couldn't offer me anything to replace it as the kayak snorkel was sold out. Instead I have booked the Cat Caribe snorkel trip for tomorrow in Barbados. Not a great substitute as I have done this trip before but better than not getting any snorkeling in the Caribbean at all. The downside is that we won't get to my favourite cocktail bar on Accra beach Tikki Bar.

We had dinner with a couple of friends we met last year on an Oriana Cruise and then went on to the theatre to see the cabaret show. Violinist Craig Halliday and the trio Virtuoso. Both acts were very good and I often think that 2 different entertainers should be on every show as 45 minutes is often too long to keep my attention no matter how good they are.

We returned to the cabin to find that the shore excursion team had sent 2 tickets for the Cat Caribe trip instead of 1. They had only cancelled 1 ticket for Curaçao so why had they had booked and debited us for 2 I do not know. They do not open until 8 am tomorrow so that's something to sort out with them then.

We docked in Barbados around 9:30 p.m.and at 10:15 p.m. the ship was cleared and passengers allowed ashore. We depart at 10:30 p.m. tomorrow evening.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Barbados.

We woke to sunny skies and it was hot hot hot. I love Barbados even though the port is not a pretty one. Our view was of a Holland America ship which is one of Arcadia's sister ship. We were docked aft to aft so could compare the differences.

My trip didn't leave until until 9:45 which gave me time for my usual morning routine before collecting a sticker and making my way ashore. Garry was already there on the Schweppes tonic and Coke Zero hunt as well as trying to get on the free Wi Fi to download emails etc. I had also put my order in for a bottle of rum.

I was so excited chatting to other passengers whilst waiting to catch a bus for the 5 minute journey to the other side of the dock where the catamaran was waiting for us. Rochelle one of the tour guides explained that they had been informed that there was an usual sea swell on the West Coast and that it was unlikely to be suitable for snorkeling, but that we would sail there to see the West Coast and then find snorkeling on the South coast where it was calmer. I wasn't bothered where I snorkelled as long as I could get in that beautiful deep turquoise sea and try out my new underwater camera.

The sail up there wasn't rough but I could see the swell even though there weren't any big waves. The West coast of Barbados is stunning and where the mega rich and famous holiday. The guys running the tour were very informative and kept the soft drinks flowing.

We then headed South past Arcadia to the shipwrecks for snorkeling time and then a little further for the snorkel turtle. I got some great photos of the turtles but there were nowhere near as many there as there are on the West Coast but a turtle is a turtle and it was very friendly.

The bar now opened fully and flowed just as well as the soft drinks did earlier. Our final stop was at Accra beach where the Cat anchored a short swim away. A Caribbean lunch was served along with very acceptable wine. A fabulous day trip which I was sorry it had to end but after another swim in the beautiful clear turquoise waters it was time to head back to Arcadia.

A late night stay in Barbados and Tropical night on deck with a local group brought on to entertain us. It seemed a perfect Caribbean night for it. Full moon, warm with no wind but unfortunately, just as we had found seats in a prime spot on deck although not under cover the heavens opened. We made a dash for cover but then headed to our balcony. There was not enough room on deck for everyone to be sheltered and it had rained so hard the the deck was very wet. We could hear and enjoy the music from the comfort of our balcony.

Tomorrow is a relaxing sea day before we reach Curaçao.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

sounds wonderful, its freezing here, just to make you jealous :lol:
regards gilly.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Friday 13 January 2017 - Sea Day to Curaçao.

I woke during the night with cramp in my legs. I think it was with all the swimming and snorkeling. I took painkillers but nothing worked so at 5 a.m. I gave up and got up.

The usual morning exercise routine but today I skipped breakfast in favour of the sun which was full on our balcony. I also skipped the early Spanish lesson but caught up at the later one.

At 10 am in the Palladium Just Plain Phil was giving a talk on the Panama Canal which we will hopefully be able to listen to on the TV later he is also speaking again about the new Panama Path later on this afternoon.

Two new speakers Chris Cowdrey telling stories from a life in cricket and Shelley Bonus discussing Black Holes! Gravitational Waves! And the Possibility of Multi Verses! And Light Sails to Alpha Centauril. Absolutely no idea what that is all about.

It was extremely hot with very little sea breeze to reduce the temperature. It is probably slightly cooler on deck but I prefer to stick it out on the balcony. Room Service lunch, and then Rum punch in the sun. Does life get better than this?

Classical Concert with Tranquillo in the Globe at 5:30 and repeated at 7:30. Neither seem very convenient times to me but then again I am not into Classical music.

Gareth Oliver the very talented ventriloquist in the theatre. We gave him a miss as though he is an excellent performer his act doesn't change other than the person he invites on stage to wear the mask.

We headed for a quiet drink after dinner in East bar which is now busier as the cruise goes on more passengers locate this little gem.

4 th Formal night and another Ball in the Globe hosted by The very dapper Geoffrey and his colleague Brenda.

Another great day on the fabulous Arcadia.

Tomorrow we are in Curaçao.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We had an aft balcony on Arcadia back from Hong Kong a few years ago, and I must admit I loved lying out there in preference to being up - or down - on deck. They always knew my lunchtime salad request when I rang, it was wonderful.
Last edited by GillD46 on 15 Jan 2017, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sat 14 Jan 2017 - Curaçao

Another early morning and whilst I was in the exercise class I realised that we were sailing through the Queen Emma pontoon bridge to dock next to the free ferry into town. We have been here many times but always docked by the fort. For once P & O had not been given the Paupers berth. A Celebrity ship was docked by the Fort. I suspect that this is because the Americans spend much more on shore than the British and the shops in the upmarket Fort Area pay huge rents.

The view from our balcony was amazing. Open sea, the Queen Emma pontoon Bridge and the colourful Dutch style buildings.

I was still disappointed that my speedboat and snorkel trip had been cancelled and was hoping in vain right up until the last minute that a place had become available on the Kayak & snorkel trip. No such luck.

We realised that the ferry which was very close to the ship wasn't operating as we disembarked just after 9 am and walked the short distance to cross the Bridge into the main shopping and bar area. I needed to find a dive shop and the tourist information were very helpful.

It was hot but some occasional cloud gave some relief from the sun. The temperature was in the early 30's.

Once we had located the Dive shop the owner was very helpful and even though he could have made a few dollars repairing my mask he told me how to do it free of charge.

The whole area in the town had free Wi Fi which was fast enough to contact our family and face time our granddaughters. It was like an Arcadia meet up as so many passengers had the same idea. The signal was strong enough to cope with the influx of passengers from 2 ships. although there were not as many American passengers as they had free Wi Fi in the Fort area.

The Christmas decs were still up and more Giant Santas dotted around the town. Maybe they stay up all year round but I don't remember seeing them on past visits here.

We wandered round the shops and Garry bought me some jewellery for our anniversary which is in February. He has squirrelled it away to keep for the day.

As we left the shop the heavens opened in true Caribbean style and left the streets swimming in liquid sunshine. It soon stopped and we headed for the Iguana bar to sample the local brew and which had a fantastic view of Arcadia and our balcony.

We could see the sun was directly on the balcony so headed back to the ship for room service lunch and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc which had been chilling for a few days in readiness for just this occasion. Amazingly the Curacao free wifi reached our balcony.

It was exceptionally hot as we were in full sun and I kept having to take breaks from it which as I am a lizard is very unusual for me. We could hear the Party Sailaway from the aft Deck as we left our last Caribbean port and headed Westwards towards the Panama Canal and Mexico.

The show in the theatre was ' Shades of Buble ' followed by dancing in the Globe to Blue Wave.

Tomorrow is another alcohol free day.

Sunday 15 January -Sea Day before Panama Canal

Today is laundry day along with half of Arcadia. I put up the washing line in readiness and by the time I got back from the exercise class at 8 a.m. Garry had bagged a machine and one load was in. He wandered the ship looking for a second one but they were all being utilised. Instead, when the first one finished as no one was around he put the second load in. A great drying day with the sun and the gentle sea breeze.

During the night an invite was delivered to our cabin to attend an exclusive event for lunch in Sindhu as we transit the Panama Canal. It starts at Noon and finishes at 2 pm. We should have another great view from Sindhu as we sail towards and into the Pedro Miguel lock.

I attended Spanish at 10 am followed by another meet up of passengers who post on the Facebook event page and The Cruise Critic forum for the Arcadia Roll Call. Nigel the bar manager had once again arranged for us to meet in the Viceroy room and laid on tea and coffee. It had been advertised in the Horizon as a Cruise Critic meet.

There were so many new faces there but as I went round to speak to them I realised many of them were only there to whinge about the cruise and had no idea about the cruise critic forum. I explained what it was all about and pointed out that it should be reception they were addressing their complaints to. I made it clear that no one in the room was interested in listening to their complaints and most of them left. We are quite happy to meet new people but are not interested in speaking to complainers. Some people are so negative. I will have to ask Nigel to be clearer in the Horizon for the next meet which will be after San Francisco. Only 2 of our fellow forumites disembark in San Francisco and 20 new ones embark.

As usual the sun was on the balcony so we had room service lunch on there whilst gazing out at the mesmerising wake. No wine today as it is my 5 th dry day of the cruise and as we will have been on board this cruise 2 weeks tomorrow I am slightly ahead of my 2 dry days per week target. Sparkling water with lime juice does not really hit the spot but my liver will thank me.

Another new Guest Speaker today. Michael Testoni a retired R.N.L.I. Lifeboat Coxswain speaking about Lifeboats, their crews and actual rescues. For passengers who enjoy these presentations there have certainly been plenty of speakers onboard covering many different subjects. We do not attend these events in the theatre but make a point of watching them on the cabin TV in the evening.

I dragged myself away from the sun to attend the Improvers Class. It is moving on quite quickly now and I feel that if I miss a class I may not be able to catch up. It is still very well attended.

The Headliners show was Blame it on the Boogie. We have seen this many times but decided to go and see it again as until 9:30 when the Big Band night with the Orchestra starts there wasn't much else on.

Clocks go back 1 hour in the early hours of the morning.

Tomorrow we transit the Panama Canal. So excited as although we have transited it before it was 10 years ago and from West to East.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
Friday 13 January 2017 - Sea Day to Curaçao.

...Alpha Centauril. Absolutely no idea what that is all about.....
Isn't Alpha Centauri something to do with' The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'?
Meg
x

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

It all sounds wonderful. Enjoy the Canal, it remains one of my favourite cruising experiences.
Gill

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”