Reports about cruises on Arcadia

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Smurfie's Great American Adventure

Post by david63 »

Preamble

This is a “bucket list” cruise, one that we have wanted to do for several years but the timing has never been quite right – so two years ago we went ahead ah booked it! We are off on Arcadia to New York and Canada.

Everything pre cruise has been fine – no issues to speak of other than a schedule change in Quebec due to the Right Whales, which hopefully we will see. However having reduced the time in Quebec by four hours will, no doubt, be a moaners charter. (Compo claim already in before anyone asks!)

Sunday 2nd September

We set off just after lunch to make our way down to Thatcham where we stay at the Regency Hotel which we have used for several trips down to Southampton as it is only 45 minutes to the docks in the morning.

I think I must be getting old as the journey down seemed a lot longer than previously (why can P&O not sail from Liverpool?) The journey down was uneventful other than the M6 being almost continuous roadworks! The other minor incident was the woman in front of us at the M6 Toll pay booth. She was not prepared so when she arrived at the barrier first she had to find her card to pay with. Then after managing, at the fourth attempt, to get her card accepted she had to put the card back in her handbag, then do up her seat belt, then try and get her car to move – only thing she forgot was to do her make-up and hair before setting off!

Anyway we are now at the hotel suitably fed and watered and reay for the off in the morning.

To be continued …

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Smurfie's Great American Adventure

Post by Meg 50 »

looking forward to episode 2! (not to mention 3 - 15 or more...
Meg
x

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Looking forward to hearing all about this cruise. We are doing a very similar one next year on Aurora, an itinerary I've wanted to do for ages.

Carole

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Oh I do love a nice long, live trip report.

Looking forward to more....and have a fabby dabby dozy time x
Gill

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lynda and David »

Oh don't you just love the M6 Toll Road. We use this toll every 3-4 weeks and constantly have the same problem with people in front of us not being prepared. They know they are going to be using the toll, its advertised multiple times on the approach so why don't they put their card ready to use instead of faffing about when they get to the barrier? So annoying.

Looking forward to hearing all about your cruise x

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Sod the cruise …. more about the Toll Road, please :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

We did very similar about 6 years ago. Loved it. The first thing that surprised me was how little we saw going across the Atlantic..an Irish warship, Queen Mary2 and a few dolphins off the south of Ireland and then nothing until two days from US where we obviously crossed under a great circle flight path and there was a plane about every minute. Next day nothing.
Bar Harbor was the unexpected jewel (NY & Quebec were brilliant, but expected)
Have a great time.
PS Against all logic I found it really tiring going east-west. You should get extra time in bed but my body clock refused to play ball and I woke earlier (ship’s time) each day, consequently I was nodding off earlierveach night.
Last edited by Ranchi on 03 Sep 2018, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

We did this trip in 2010 and again in 2012 and loved every minute of it and we would happily do it again if it wasn't for the prohibitive cost of worldwide insurance for Ken. I love Quebec. Both times we have moored immediately under the Chateau Frontenac and one of my favourite memories is sitting up in the Crow's Nest about midnight and looking at the hotel all lit up and thinking what a wonderful sight it was.

Years before we had also done a coach trip up the east coast of Canada and that time we visited the Montmorency Falls in Quebec which we thoroughly enjoyed. I do hope you do get to see some whales as you sail up the river to Quebec.

Maureen

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 22:13
Preamble

This is a “bucket list” cruise, one that we have wanted to do for several years but the timing has never been quite right – so two years ago we went ahead ah booked it! We are off on Arcadia to New York and Canada.

Everything pre cruise has been fine – no issues to speak of other than a schedule change in Quebec due to the Right Whales, which hopefully we will see. However having reduced the time in Quebec by four hours will, no doubt, be a moaners charter. (Compo claim already in before anyone asks!)

Sunday 2nd September

We set off just after lunch to make our way down to Thatcham where we stay at the Regency Hotel which we have used for several trips down to Southampton as it is only 45 minutes to the docks in the morning.

I think I must be getting old as the journey down seemed a lot longer than previously (why can P&O not sail from Liverpool?) The journey down was uneventful other than the M6 being almost continuous roadworks! The other minor incident was the woman in front of us at the M6 Toll pay booth. She was not prepared so when she arrived at the barrier first she had to find her card to pay with. Then after managing, at the fourth attempt, to get her card accepted she had to put the card back in her handbag, then do up her seat belt, then try and get her car to move – only thing she forgot was to do her make-up and hair before setting off!

Anyway we are now at the hotel suitably fed and watered and reay for the off in the morning.

To be continued …

They'd never get the funnels back David :D :thumbup:

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Manoverboard wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 13:12
why don't they use a system like Dartford - you pay in advance - payment is taken by ANPR - zip thro' non stop
Meg
x

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Meg 50 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 18:30
why don't they use a system like Dartford - you pay in advance - payment is taken by ANPR - zip thro' non stop
We're talking north of Watford Gap.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

oldbluefox wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 19:07
Meg 50 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 18:30
We're talking north of Watford Gap.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Meg
x

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Have you seen how much they charge for a horse and cart and a flock of sheep? :lol:

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Monday 3rd September

Set off from the hotel for the hour’s drive down to Ocean Terminal – journey was uneventful. Arrived at the terminal about 11:30 and it was “heaving” – had to go into a holding queue for CPS. Eventually had luggage and car taken away and went into the terminal where there was a queue to go up the escalator! Once up into the departure lounge the priority queue was snaking half way around the terminal, and that was at 11:30 – I am guessing that all the Caribbean tier were being directed there. There was always going to be a lot of upper tiers on this cruise due to its itinerary.

Everywhere you looked in the terminal there were posters about Iona – anyone would have thought that something was happening today!

Once through check-in and security we were straight on-board. We took a gamble 9which paid off) and went to the Future Cruises desk and lo and behold nobody was waiting so we jumped in and pre-registered for Iona’s maiden. Next it was off for lunch which did resemble the proverbial “bun fight” – they seemed very slow at restocking the buffet. Anyway within an hour of arriving at the terminal we had checked in, boarded, pre-registered and were sat having lunch – not too bad under the circumstances.

Cabins ready just after one and when we arrived at our cabin all our luggage was there waiting for us which meant that we were unpacked with everything away by 14:30.

Muster Drill was as usual – nothing new there.

Our first, and so far only, disappointment was with the changes to the Intermezzo Bar – this has always been out favourite pre dinner “watering hole” but since the refit this has been ruined – I wish that whoever had designed the chairs had actually tried sitting in them – they are the most uncomfortable seats I have ever encountered, and I was not the only one complaining about them.

Next was dinner – second sitting table for eight – all seem to get on. Early night after the tiring day ready for the first of six sea days crossing to New York.

To be continued …

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I love a northern TA crossing. The sea is wonderfully unpredictable as is the weather. Enjoy your sea days.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Sounds like a good start David
Kenmo1 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 14:24
We did this trip in 2010 and again in 2012 and loved every minute of it and we would happily do it again if it wasn't for the prohibitive cost of worldwide insurance for Ken. I love Quebec. Both times we have moored immediately under the Chateau Frontenac and one of my favourite memories is sitting up in the Crow's Nest about midnight and looking at the hotel all lit up and thinking what a wonderful sight it was.

Years before we had also done a coach trip up the east coast of Canada and that time we visited the Montmorency Falls in Quebec which we thoroughly enjoyed. I do hope you do get to see some whales as you sail up the river to Quebec.

Maureen
We are doing the 24 night USA and Canada cruise on Aurora in a couple of weeks, and I'm really looking forward to it. We have booked an excursion to Montmorency Falls and on the other Quebec day, we will do our own thing in the City. When I think of Quebec, the first thing that comes to mind is the Chateau, so I hope we get the prime mooring spot.

Like David, we've been told about the Right wales, so hoping for sightings of them.
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Have a great trip David! I saw Arcadia in the docks when I drove through Woolston yesterday and I saw that you left early before all the other rust buckets ;)

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Have a wonderful trip.
I look forward to reading all about it
Wishing you smooth seas and lots of whales

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Tuesday 4th September

This is the first of our six days crossing the Atlantic heading, hopefully, to New York. The started off with a temperature of 16C with cloudy skies and fairly strong winds making the ship “rock and roll” a bit – and nothing changed all day.

We went along to the first part of the New York port talk this morning which was given by a young lad from South Africa who was quite a good speaker and had a pleasant personality, unlike many port presenters that we have encountered in the past! The other speakers that we have on board are Rob Bonnet the sports commentator who, not unsurprisingly, is talking about his life in sport and John Mercer talking about WWl. All the other activities are the same old same.

For the first time on a cruise we decided, for all the reasons that have been discussed, to remove the Auto Service Charge (and yes we will be tipping at least, probably more, than that in cash). Every time I have been near reception there has been a queue snaking half way round the ship which I was not prepared to join. Anyway I went late afternoon and there was nobody there, asked for the form to which there was no surprise, filled it in and handed it back in. The guy who I gave it to was entering these forms and he had a pile of about 200 – I am sure there would be a lot more.

Tonight was not the first formal as in the custom, that is being held tomorrow night, - not sure of the reason but there is some maintenance going on around the ship which may have some bearing. The show tonight was the Runaround Kids who were four lads playing, and singing, the music of the 50s & 60s. A good choice bearing in mind that the average age of the passengers is in the 70+ bracket. They were OK but not sure that I will be rushing back to see their second show.

To be continued …

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Cheers David :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Wednesday 5th September

Day two of six of crossing the pond.

The day started off pretty much the same as yesterday, cloud, windy and not particularly warm, but as the day progressed the wind dropped, a bit, the sun came out and the temperature rose – we were even able to sit out on deck.

Went to the second half of the port talk on New York – quite a bit of useful information, but US Immigration sounds like a fiasco (nothing new there!). We have all got our ESTAs but guess what, you have to take a paper copy of it with you! Immigration is expected last about five hours and during that time you are not allowed back on the ship. I can’t see why we should not make it so unwelcoming for US visitors – perhaps they would get their own act together.

Also went to listen to the WWl guy, only because he was talking about the Accrington Pals and being local. Not sure if I will be going to any more.

Tonight was the first, of seven, Black Tie nights and I must say that on the whole the standard was well adhered to (although some outfits do stretch the limits). It was also good to see that the dress code was being enforced in the Intermezzo Bar. Marco’s gala dinner – didn’t think that it was as good as in the past, but there was Beef Wellington and Stilton with port.

The entertainment tonight was an Adele tribute act and I must say that she was brilliant – although the theatre was not overly full (must be the age range who do not know Adele!). Once the show is over the ship starts to resemble the Marie Celeste – all off their Horlicks no doubt!

To be continued …

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 10:12
Wednesday 5th September

Day two of six of crossing the pond.

The day started off pretty much the same as yesterday, cloud, windy and not particularly warm, but as the day progressed the wind dropped, a bit, the sun came out and the temperature rose – we were even able to sit out on deck.

Went to the second half of the port talk on New York – quite a bit of useful information, but US Immigration sounds like a fiasco (nothing new there!). We have all got our ESTAs but guess what, you have to take a paper copy of it with you! Immigration is expected last about five hours and during that time you are not allowed back on the ship. I can’t see why we should not make it so unwelcoming for US visitors – perhaps they would get their own act together.

Also went to listen to the WWl guy, only because he was talking about the Accrington Pals and being local. Not sure if I will be going to any more.

Tonight was the first, of seven, Black Tie nights and I must say that on the whole the standard was well adhered to (although some outfits do stretch the limits). It was also good to see that the dress code was being enforced in the Intermezzo Bar. Marco’s gala dinner – didn’t think that it was as good as in the past, but there was Beef Wellington and Stilton with port.

The entertainment tonight was an Adele tribute act and I must say that she was brilliant – although the theatre was not overly full (must be the age range who do not know Adele!). Once the show is over the ship starts to resemble the Marie Celeste – all off their Horlicks no doubt!

To be continued …

Always been the same David. They're right miserable little hitlers as well. I sometimes wonder how they ever have a holiday industry.
Last edited by Stephen on 06 Sep 2018, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

If one doesn't have a paper ESTA ( not required at the US Port sited within Toronto airport cos their putters work ok ).

Should we assume they throw said persons overboard to save them wasting every bodies time at Immigration in the Cruise Terminal in NY … damn good idea :clap:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Thursday 6th September

Third sea day ….

Still not a lot going on around the ship – well not that really interests us (sad souls that we are!) I am not sure what I would like to see but it seems to me that P&O entertainment is stuck in a rut.

The weather is not improving, in fact it is getting worse, as we have rain today!

What has changed on Arcadia? The most important change is with the biscuits – another new type, at least these don’t break whenever you touch them. One interesting point is if you are on Freedom dining those who want tables for two go one side and those who want larger tables or shared tables go the other way, which seems quite a sensible idea.

Photos are getting even more silly with their pricing - £10 for a normal one, £16 if with the Captain. Last year’s refit has not really made much of a noticeable difference as it was mainly cosmetic. We have the “new” lunch menus in the Meridian – not really that much different than before other than the layout.

To be continued …

Friday 7th September

Fourth day of trundling across the Atlantic (and my mother’s 98th birthday)

Weather was again overcast but the temperature was starting to rise a bit.

This did not start off as a good day. For the last couple of days I had been getting out of breath when just moving around the ship and was finding it almost impossible to walk up the stairs. After breakfast I felt so bad that I relented and went to the Medical Centre. After much prodding and poking, a bit of bloodletting and a chest x-ray I was told that I had pulmonary oedema (a.k.a fluid on the lungs) – treatment being water tablets and rest – oh and no alcohol! I had to go back to the Medical Centre in the afternoon where I was told that things had improved and I was free to resume a “normal” cruise life, but to take things easy for a few days, and come back in the morning.

This was all good news as we had booked to go to Ocean Grill tonight where the food (lobster in particular) was as good as we remember. Skipped the show tonight as it was the Headliner’s Destination Dance which we must have seen at least 10 times.

To be continued …

Saturday 8th September

Penultimate sea day.

Weather still a bit on the grotty side with more rain but it did start to brighten up somewhat as the day progressed.

I woke up this morning feeling quite a lot better and after having breakfast in the cabin went for my check-up at the Medical Centre where everything was found to be back to normal – except my getting out of breath – but nowhere near as much as yesterday.

Again not a lot going on that appealed but as I still needed to take life easy that was not a major issue. Had a couple of walks around the ship the see how I was progressing and found that I could go a moderate distance without too much of a problem.

Tonight was the second of our Black Tie nights and again it was well adhered to by the majority, and the dress code was being enforced in the appropriate venues. The show tonight was Helen Ward Jackson (who did the Adele tribute show a few nights back) – not as impressed with this show.

To be continued …

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Pity about the weather David but hopefully it will soon pick up. Hope you are soon feeling better ready for your port days.

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”