Laundrette on Aurora

Discussions about anything related to Aurora

Topic author
rita17
Third Officer
Third Officer

Laundrette on Aurora

Post by rita17 »

Was thinking of using the laundrette on Aurora as four of us are travelling in one car and need to take one suitcase less than would when just two of us are going. Have used the laundrette on Oriana where I purchased washing tablets from the on board shop. Is Aurora the same as Oriana in this respect? Was wondering whether I should take my own tablets.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Laundrette on Aurora

Post by qbman1 »

I am pretty sure they sell laundry products in the shop but there is no doubt someone better informed than me to advise on that but I do know that, if you frequent the Laundry, you will find out what is happening on board even before the Captain does !!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Aurora very similar to Oriana in this respect (and a few others too). I'm sure you can get powder/tablets on board but we always take our own. Much cheaper and don't take up that much space in the suitcase.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We just tie everything together and dangle over the side into the sea for ten minutes. Makes the shirts a bit stiff but great for rubbing your chips over.

Topic author
rita17
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by rita17 »

Thank you all for your replies. Will probably get some tablets. Usually use liquid at home.

Keechy
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Keechy »

Aurora and Oriana have about 10 or 12 washing machines in the laundrettes. Arcadia has only 3 - it's fun listening to the battles caused by some passengers dumping other's stuff out of the driers.

My OH refuses point blank to set foot in a laundrette while on holiday. This means I HAVE TO IRON MY OWN SHIRTS :thumbdown:
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Keechy wrote:
Aurora and Oriana have about 10 or 12 washing machines in the laundrettes. Arcadia has only 3 - it's fun listening to the battles caused by some passengers dumping other's stuff out of the driers.

My OH refuses point blank to set foot in a laundrette while on holiday. This means I HAVE TO IRON MY OWN SHIRTS :thumbdown:
Quite right - I'm with Mrs K. We NEVER do any washing on board. We're on holiday for God's sake. Mrs C might just venture in to iron something if it has suffered in transit - but it would have to be pretty crumpled, mind you !

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Keechy wrote:

Sounds like it's time for a trade in ;)

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Be cheaper to buy a couple of new shirts !

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

....and a new iron

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

My husband sometimes takes undies to the laundrette on longer voyages, but anything else gets sent to the laundry and is back next day.
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

GillD46 wrote:
My husband sometimes takes undies to the laundrette on longer voyages
His own, I hope....? :shock:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I'm sure I must walk around with my head up my backside but I can't recall ever seeing a launderette on any ship I've been on.
I know they exist, I've just never noticed one.

Are they hidden and only goldies get access to them or something?
Empty vessels .. and all that

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

qbman1 wrote:
GillD46 wrote:
My husband sometimes takes undies to the laundrette on longer voyages
His own, I hope....? :shock:
Yes, and if I speak ncely, mine too :lol:
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

barney wrote:
I'm sure I must walk around with my head up my backside but I can't recall ever seeing a launderette on any ship I've been on.
I know they exist, I've just never noticed one.

Are they hidden and only goldies get access to them or something?
They just have plain doors with small signs so unless you were actually looking for one you wouldn't notice probably.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

You can usually recognise them by all the hot air and the chantings of "hubble, bubble, toil and trouble" !!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I thought they were pretty easy to find. Just listen out for the fighting and shouting

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Just like to mention that on Aurora they have new machines now and are all front loading and so you can use liquid in them which is what I did when I use them earlier this year. Can't quite remember which settings you use but I do know that there is a short cycle and a very long one. Just ask whoever is in there.
There are three areas of where the laundrettes are. On E Deck 6 this is the smallest, A Deck 11 is the biggest and C Deck 9 is the medium size room.
Hope this helps.
Melsea

Topic author
rita17
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by rita17 »

Thank you Melsea for the info. Not sure where we'll be as haven't been allocated our cabin yet.

When we were on Oriana we were in c321 which was in a good position for the laundrette as almost opposite. Great for us anything needed a quick iron.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

What's a laundrette?

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Send them out to the ship's laundry. you're on holiday for goodness sake.
Jay

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

When you send clothes out to the ships laundry, do they do a good job of the washing?

Just wondering, as I've got visions of them putting my nice t-shirts through a boil wash or something :crazy:
Gill

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

We have never had a problem on P & O, and I have always sent laundry out whatever line we have cruised on. I wouldn't send out anything delicate of course. This year on Oceania, Alec dropped tomato sauce down a nice polo shirt, and you know how deadly tomato is. Shirt was returned with not a inkling of tomato on it, nor had the shirt shrunk or anything like that.
Jay

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

I never use the laundrette, I send everything to the laundry. I like the way the clothes come back from the laundry on the Oriana, covered as they do from the dry cleaners. We've had plenty of clothes ruined in the Aurora laundry. I often say to my husband that the tumble driers seem to be lined with astro turf. I try and buy laundry proof clothes now but still get caught out. In 2013 we had one load of clothes ruined as someone put bleach in with everything. They compensated us though for the clothes they ruined. Even so I'd rather risk the laundry as I don't want to spend my time washing and ironing. I have to get my gossip elsewhere. ;)

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Gill W wrote:
When you send clothes out to the ships laundry, do they do a good job of the washing?

Just wondering, as I've got visions of them putting my nice t-shirts through a boil wash or something :crazy:
The only thing we would advise Gill is dont put delicate fabrics in the ship's laundry. They have in the past ruined one or two of Sue's items, probably because they dont read the instructions and take the cool wash instructions into account. In particular they completely washed the colour out of one of her favourite skirts. I dont think they get the collars of dress shirts completely clean, so I wash and iron them myself. having said that I a still findng Aurora laundry labels on some items, they must use super glue.

Return to “About Aurora”