Aurora's 'al fresco grill restaurant' in the Winter?

Discussions about anything related to Aurora

Topic author
ch1mpy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Aurora's 'al fresco grill restaurant' in the Winter?

Post by ch1mpy »

Hopefully a very quick question which somebody can answer for me. I've read that Aurora has an al fresco grill restaurant (which sounds lovely) but we're going on a cruise on Aurora in the Winter. Does anybody know what happens to this restaurant when the weather isn't good enough for al fresco dining?
many thanks in anticipation :thumbup:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Aurora's 'al fresco grill restaurant' in the Winter?

Post by david63 »

Cannot give a definitive answer as I have not been on Aurora but my guess would be that you would est inside - although depending on where you are cruising it can be warm enough to eat outside in winter.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

If we are referring to the Pennant Grill at the top at the back of the ship then that is partially covered and its use us weather-dependent.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

They use the area just inside where the Pennant Grill is, it's all nicely set out, not as nice as being outside but still nice.
Jo

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The Pennant Grill ...

We sat out in lovely blue skies at the end of August this year ... we were steaming up the English channel and it was bloody ffffreezing so we moved back a little way to avoid the chill factor.

In February 2012 however it was a beautiful warm night and as warm as toast, albeit somewhere near Penang.

;)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

We've used outside grills but only when the ship has been docked alongside during the evening. It was ver pleasant.

Topic author
ch1mpy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by ch1mpy »

Hi everyone, thanks for your responses. We are going in November on R321 to La Coruna, Cadiz, Gibralta, Casablanca and Lisbon. I think the average temperatures are only about 18 or so during the day so i doubt it will be warm enough for the evenings to sit outside. It will be interesting to see how they manage to make use of the restaurant. I like to try all the different ones onboard so I'm hoping it will be open.
thanks again.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

If the weather isn't suitable for outside eating, they'll use part of the Orangery. The tables would be set out nicely, so it wouldn't be like eating in the buffet!
Gill

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Gill W wrote:
If the weather isn't suitable for outside eating, they'll use part of the Orangery. The tables would be set out nicely, so it wouldn't be like eating in the buffet!
Yes that's what they do. They section off part of the Orangery and set the tables up so that it looks quite different. I can't quite remember but I think they put up curtains or blinds. Or have I imagined that. :think:

Sarah62+
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Sarah62+ »

Actually I was wondering about that too. We are on R322 Xmas markets cruise, and was interested but didn't fancy freezing to death!! Now I know.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

emjay45 wrote:
Gill W wrote:
Yes that's what they do. They section off part of the Orangery and set the tables up so that it looks quite different. I can't quite remember but I think they put up curtains or blinds. Or have I imagined that. :think:
No I don't think you've imagined that emjay, we have only eaten inside once but I seem to recall blinds or something similar, just can't remember what :crazy:
Jo

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

N
Dancing Queen wrote:
emjay45 wrote:
Gill W wrote:
No I don't think you've imagined that emjay, we have only eaten inside once but I seem to recall blinds or something similar, just can't remember what :crazy:
Not just my memory going then :lol:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

They use the after starboard area of the orangerie which is easily divided off from the rest. They use boxes with artificial hedges in.

Southwinds
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Southwinds »

They have screens like a roller blind that comes down from thr ceiling to close the area from the buffet area, they do this on days you can't sit out. It's all done very well

Topic author
ch1mpy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by ch1mpy »

Fantastic, thank you all once again for your prompt responses on this. I'm definately looking forward to trying it out now!
Do you think i need to prebook it before we leave or can i make a reservation once onboard?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Currently I believe that you cannot book in advance so you will have no other option but wait until you are on-board.

Topic author
ch1mpy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by ch1mpy »

On my Cruise Personaliser it says:

To pre arrange your dining reservation at The Pennant Grill please call 0843 374 0111.

Dining reservations must be made at least three days prior to cruise departure, and are available on cruises eight nights or more. Please note: Date and time of your reservation will be confirmed onboard.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

ch1mpy wrote:
On my Cruise Personaliser it says:

To pre arrange your dining reservation at The Pennant Grill please call 0843 374 0111.

Dining reservations must be made at least three days prior to cruise departure, and are available on cruises eight nights or more. Please note: Date and time of your reservation will be confirmed onboard.
All that will do is to confirm that you have a booking sometime on your cruise - but not a date/time.

The actual booking and prepayment of select dining is about to start being trialled on Ventura with subsequent roll out to the other ships.

Topic author
ch1mpy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by ch1mpy »

I have now managed to book a date and time for this restaurant, so looking forward to trying it out very soon!
thanks again to all that replied, your responses were all very helpful indeed.
:thumbup:

Return to “About Aurora”