Aurora questions

Discussions about anything related to Aurora

Topic author
Orpheus
Second Officer
Second Officer

Aurora questions

Post by Orpheus »

Going on Aurora for the 3rd time at the end of May to Norway. The last time we were on her was August 2010 to the Baltic my questions are as follows:-

Has Aurora had any refits or updates since 2010?

Have the beds or mattresses been renewed?

I am asking this for my wife as she can not sleep on a firm bed due to two hip replacements. On Azura last year we had to take a topper with us as we found out that the beds were firm. On Aurora in 2010 they were fine no problem.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Aurora questions

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Next refit is December this year when she will also be the first to be painted with the giant flag on the hull. I can't remember any in the last four years and I haven't noticed any changes to her either. If you have a problem with the mattresses then it might be worth contacting P&O direct.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I am fairly certain that I have read somewhere that P&O don't provide mattress toppers any more.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Ophieus

If as David suggests they don't now supply bed toppers you will however be able to ask for an extra bed (spread) cover . Fold this over two or three times then stick undfer your bed sheet which should hopefully give you a more restful nights sleep....failing this l've got a blow up airbed you can borrow. :)

Regards

Keith

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We've never had a problem on a cruise. but we also do cottage holidays and sometimes have found the bed a bit hard. Ours at home is firm, but has a soft topping layer built in, so it is firm, but still soft, so you get support but not bruises, if you get my drift.

Our solution for the cottages is we bought a memory foam topper which we take with us, just in case.

Wouldn't want to take it on a flight, because it is quite heavy, though not bulky when rolled up.

But could certainly stick it in the luggage for a Southampton and back cruise - though for the size of most P&O beds you'd need two singles, rather than the one double we have.

Topic author
Orpheus
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Orpheus »

Thanks for the answers. My wife took a topper with us on our Azura cruise to Venice last year this was no problem and worked very well will probaly do the same this year on Aurora just in case.

Have sent an email to P&O so now I await the reply.

We know they do not supply toppers.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Orpheus,

Following on from Merv's suggestion...

...and I'll try and not make a habit of this but l lay in bed thinking about your wife last night :) .. as l know full well what it's like to suffer with a bad back. Now this may sound a little over the top but if you are considering taking a bed topper then why not go the whole way and purchase yourself a single three inch memory foam topper? In doing so you will need to purchase a good quality vacuum storage bag..."you know the ones that you suck all of the air out " We've done this with a double 3 inch topper (not for a cruise) and it shrinks to a size that would easily fit into a small suitcase so you'll have no problem with a single. As l say, it may sound a little over the top but trust me when l say you will be amazed how small they become once they have all the air taken out of them.

Sweet dreams

Regards

Keith

Topic author
Orpheus
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Orpheus »

Onelife wrote:
Hi Orpheus,

...and I'll try and not make a habit of this but l lay in bed thinking about your wife last night :) .. as l know full well what it's like to suffer with a bad back. Now this may sound a little over the top but if you are considering taking a bed topper then why not go the whole way and purchase yourself a single three inch memory foam topper? In doing so you will need to purchase a good quality vacuum storage bag..."you know the ones that you suck all of the air out " We've done this with a double 3 inch topper (not for a cruise) and it shrinks to a size that would easily fit into a small suitcase so you'll have no problem with a single. As l say, it may sound a little over the top but trust me when l say you will be amazed how small they become once they have all the air taken out of them.

Sweet dreams

Regards

Keith

Keith thanks for the advise and we have done just that. We did it last year before we went on the Azura to Venice and that solved the problem of the firm beds on Azura. And it is not over the top. If you sleep bad then you cruise bad. 8-)

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Onelife wrote:
Hi Orpheus,

Sweet dreams

Regards

Keith
Would this not mean that you would also have to take a vacuum with you so that you could get it back in the case for the return journey

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote:
Onelife wrote:
Hi Orpheus,

Sweet dreams

Regards

Keith
Would this not mean that you would also have to take a vacuum with you so that you could get it back in the case for the return journey
Take two and leave one behind? They also make a handy emergency life raft.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi David,

l obviously tip a lot better than you do as my cabin our cabin steward hoovers at least thee times a week......you just have to make sure they do it on your disembarkation day......simples :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We've found that even without a vacuum thingy our memory foam topper will crush down quite easily when you roll it up and fit back into the bag it came in.

Return to “About Aurora”