Aurora: Current Engine problems/Missing Ports

Discussions about anything related to Aurora

Topic author
Shirleybee
Third Officer
Third Officer

Aurora: Current Engine problems/Missing Ports

Post by Shirleybee »

A little update from my FIL today. Due to an engine out of action they are apparently going to miss Bora Bora & Papeete. Apparently most cruisers on board are up in arms about it. It was really difficult to have a conversation because of the delay but it seems some compensation has been awarded (sounded like £100).
My FIL is a bit upset as he was looking forward to visiting Bora Bora (He last went there 50 odd years ago when he was in the Merchant Navy - with P & O)

The good news is that Noro is now under control and self service buffet has returned to normal.

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Aurora: Current Engine problems/Missing Ports

Post by JohnTheDog »

Not AGAIN!!!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

She had a little "blip" on the way back from the Caribbean at Christmas but they soon got it re-started and no further trouble after that. Clearly there is something wrong though. Trouble is, with the full schedules the ships have there is no window to sort out any major problems (like the crack in Ventura) except when they are in for a re-fit

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

When has the Aurora done a world cruise without having problems. So glad we have booked Arcadia for next year.

Sue

Topic author
Shirleybee
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Shirleybee »

Being an Engineer my FIL understands there will always be issues with the mechanical side of cruising. Still pants for him and others though.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

We had a breakdown as we were due to leave Portland, Maine, and stayed in port for the next day missing Bar Harbor in the process. £100 compensation doesn't begin to make up for it, and I don't suppose we shall have the chance to go there again as it's no longer on the itineraries. We missed three ports out of nine altogether.

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

Dear old Arty was always breaking down..... it ended up being part of the experience of cruising on her....
The pesky scarfaced pirate

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

We did two long cruises on Artemis just before she left P&O - no breakdowns at all?

ArtemisMiss
Cadet
Cadet

Post by ArtemisMiss »

lioness wrote:
We did two long cruises on Artemis just before she left P&O - no breakdowns at all?
We ha didn't even got out of Southampton water on one Artemis cruise before the captain was on the tannoy announcing an engine problem that would cause delays due to reduced speed and repairs!!

AM

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Oh poor Aurora & indeed it's passengers. I know many were looking forward to those two beautiful islands. If they don't make it it means a lot more sea days for them.
We were on her in 2009 when she had her propellor problems and ended up in Auckland for 4 days I think it was and missed Tahiti & Bora Bora.
Unlike many passengers we had been to both Tahiti & Ora Bora before but those on the Sydney to San Francisco sector missed a fair number of ports. I do hope that they will sort this problem out and don't end up with too many problems.
I have friends on there and others that will join her in Sydney. No doubt I shall hear more about it all when they get to shore somewhere through emails.

Melsea

Jackie
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Jackie »

Gosh I hope it gets sorted as I'm joining her in Sydney! I would be very sad if I'd had to miss those beautiful islands. Wasn't it Aurora that broke down before she set sail on her world cruise a few years back and in the end didn't go anywhere other than round the Isle of Wight! When I was on Oriana in 2009, I remember we heard about Aurora having major problems!

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Suekersh wrote:
When has the Aurora done a world cruise without having problems. So glad we have booked Arcadia for next year.

Sue

In 2008. :)

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

If I was to do a world cruise (or a segment in that area) one of the main reasons would be for the South Pacific Islands such as Bora Bora, Papeete, Moorea etc and I would be very disappointed to miss them. Maybe they need to consider taking the ship out of service for a good check over before starting the world cruises.

tractor boy
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by tractor boy »

It sounds like she should have been scrapped a while ago. We did the Amazon round trip on Arti, We didnt have a single mechanical problem but we did take a battering in the bob that caused a leak in the hull, we didnt get it fixed until Manaus, about 3 weeks later and by time we got there the hole had got bigger and the plate they ordered was too small so we had to stay an extra night not being allowed ashore. we missed 1 island and got some obc for it, these things happen.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

In March 2012 we missed Cochin and much of Sri Lanka on Aurora and there was nothing wrong with her :thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Poor Aurora! Doomed! after the champagne bottle didn't break. On her maiden voyage Aurora broke down ofter two days sailing, and we had to return to Southampton, the cruise cancelled. She has had her ups and downs ever since. Jay
Jay

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Its such a shame this has happen because Aurora is such a lovely ship and its type and size is perfect for world voyages. I do feel that they need to replace rather than fix the problem so that it can continue with these wonderful voyages.
Incidentally when Aurora was being delivered the propellor/engine was damaged and so it has had a bit of a poor start but has done rather well considering all that sailing it has done. I do hope they fix her and not condemn her.

Mel

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We were on the Aurora for Christmas and New Year 2012/2013 for the first time and had a great cruise. However the Aurora needs a lot of attention. Great aft decks but the pool areas are really dated as is the Theatre and most of the interior of the ship. There was water dripping from the electrics on the C deck corridors may have been on others as well. The toilet system constantly gets blocked. Probably pax fault but why do we not have this problem on other ships.

We would sail on Aurora again if the itinerary was right but would prefer to sail on a more modern ship with more facilities and choice of entertainment.

Sue

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

Agree these things happen, but we were on Azura in her first year. toilets were constantly blocked or leaking and some other problems.

Topic author
Shirleybee
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Shirleybee »

I understand there could be any issue with any ship, perhaps they ought to invite my FIL to the engine rooms on Aurora (He is still an engineer) to see if he can't fix the broken engine. Although the last ship he worked in the engine room was on was the old SS Oriana!

Topic author
Shirleybee
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Shirleybee »

Just spoke to FIL they will be limping into Papeete. Still missing Bora Bora. Ship due for repair/maintenance in Auckland Feb 17th. (ISH!) He does sound like he is still having a great time!

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Shirleybee

Sounds like your FIL is enjoying himself which is good, he sounds like a chap who takes things in his stride.
Glad they are making it to Tahiti, hopefully if the passengers want a paradise experience they should try to get over to the other island close by, Moorea, it's beautiful and breath taking.

Topic author
Shirleybee
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Shirleybee »

Melsea

We spoke to FIL again this morning and they had just passed over the equator. There is no news of replacement stops for Bora Bora, Napier & Wellington yet. But in his words he is having a 'smashing time'!

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

I know people say "I only booked this cruise because of the stops at ' X Y X' .." but in the case of stops in the South sea Islands I think this is probably true.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Shirleybee wrote:
Melsea

We spoke to FIL again this morning and they had just passed over the equator. There is no news of replacement stops for Bora Bora, Napier & Wellington yet. But in his words he is having a 'smashing time'!
Shirl, someone on FB was saying that there was an overnight scheduled in Auckland and a visit to Bay of Islands in place of Napier and Wellington.

I think that is an improvement to the itinerary, personally.

Return to “About Aurora”