Aurora Grand Voyage 2020

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Aurora Grand Voyage 2020

Post by Meg 50 »

Whynd1 wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 22:04

When we returned to the cabin our invites to the Ligurian event at the Biltmore Hotel in Miami had arrived. P & O have sensibly limited the amount of alcoholic drinks included. After witnessing embarrassing behaviour at these events through too much free alcohol this should solve that problem. Drinks will still be available but will be payable after the included ones.

wait for the moans!
Meg
x

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Jan Rosser wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 08:10
I’ve been looking forward to Sue’s New Orleans report - so many memories of my visit there brought back to life by her - definitely one of my favourite cruises. Thanks Sue :thumbup:
Ours too. We went there on our very first cruise back in 1997, a great start to our cruising life :thumbup:
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We visited New Orleans many years ago and before the levy broke …. Sue's report bought it all back but there is one aspect missing.

' The Witch Queen of New Orleans ' :shock:

It was not possible for us to visit her, as in Marie Laveau, resting place because of the gang violence at the location but we did visit an alternate graveyard. All the corpses are raised off the ground in layers due to the high water tables. Very interesting albeit morbid.

Does evidence of Voodoo still prevail I would ask ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Manoverboard wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 14:24
We visited New Orleans many years ago and before the levy broke …. Sue's report bought it all back but there is one aspect missing.

It was not possible for us to visit her, as in Marie Laveau, resting place because of the gang violence at the location but we did visit an alternate graveyard. All the corpses are raised off the ground in layers due to the high water tables. Very interesting albeit morbid.

I found those cemeteries absolutely fascinating.
Gill

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Update from Sue

Monday, 10 February 2020 - Sea Day to Miami

I had a very lazy day and hardly moved from my sun bed. Garry attended to the laundry as I was chasing the sun around today as the ship kept changing positions. Only very slightly but as we were travelling South East it took a while to get onto the aft decks.

I didn’t bother with lunch as it was yet another bbq on deck which means no grab & go. We had some fruit in the cabin so a few grapes and a banana but me on until 3 pm and afternoon tea time.

Our 2 nd formal of this sector and the Chef Chaîne des Rôtisseurs menu in the dining room.

Another lovely mild night so we gave the entertainment a miss. It was an Opera group in the the theatre and a Formal Night Ball in Carmens.

Tuesday, 11 February 2020- 2nd sea day to Miami

Another lazy day chatting on the aft deck. Sunny and breezy which as the day wore on was very welcome. Busy doing nothing and I missed the final battle of the sexes.

At 14:30 the deck stewards came round asking passengers to move off the aft deck as there was going to be a photo shoot for the Grand Voyage. Passengers were not happy but we had been informed in the Horizon that this was happening. A lot of upset passengers to give the photographers department a selling opportunity.

Apparently Passengers voted with their feet and didn’t turn up for the photo shoot. We were told that the 4 pm shoot got about 20 people and they announced it again and 10 more arrived for the 2nd shoot at 4:15 but by then the first lot had disappeared. I certainly didn’t want my photo taken in swim wear and I wasn’t going to leave the sun to get changed for the sake of a photo.

The evening entertainment was Mike Doyle comedian in the theatre. We haven’t seen him for years and did consider going into his show but when we went outside it was such a lovely warm evening we stayed there.

Tomorrow we are in Miami.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Manoverboard wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 14:24

We visited the cemeteries 4 years ago. Very interesting.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

More from Sue

Wednesday, 12 February 2020 - Miami

We caught the shuttle into the Bayside area for a look round before our event later .

The port area is absolutely huge and the walk just to get off the ship went on for ever.

The shuttle dropped off at Bayside which is a shopping mall beside a huge marina. A lovely place to wander round and this where all of the private tours meet. If we had more time we could have booked a boat trip to the South Beach area.

We spent an hour there then headed back to the ship to get changed ready for the Ligurian High Tea at the Biltmore Hotel situated in the Coral Beach area of a Miami about a 35 minute drive from the port.

The hotel was built in 1926. It is just stunning. The tower is 315 feet high and looks similar to the Giralda, the medieval tower of the Seville Cathedral. The hotel is built in the Spanish / Italian Renaissance style. The grounds were stunning with a magnificent golf course and gardens. The pool when built was the largest in the world and Johnny Weissmuller the Tarzan actor swam here and the pool was used in the films.

We started on the huge Terrace overlooking the golf course and cocktails were served along with ice cold different flavours of water available from glass dispensers. It was very hot on the terrace but there was shade under the huge canopy where parakeets were nesting in the rafters. The loyalty team and the ships officers mingled with the passengers.

We moved into the magnificent ballroom where a local vocal group were performing. The tables had all been named after the different ports of call on the Grand Voyage. We were sat at the St Maarten table. It all looked absolutely stunning.

Joe our loyalty manager opened the afternoon by thanking everyone for their continuing loyalty then passed the mike to the lady hotel manager who explained the very interesting history of the hotel and grounds and the rich and famous people who had stayed there including the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Judy Garland and Bing Crosby. Al Capone used to spend a lot of time there but never stayed over.

Next it was the turn of David Bernstein who is the CFO of Carnival. He spoke about the future of P & O. and did a great push for Iona but he was really speaking to the wrong audience about that ship. The ship sounds fabulous but in reality just far too big for the majority of passengers attending this event. More interestingly he told us about the changes planned for Arcadia in the next refit in 2021 with the Glass House replacing the Ocean Grill and also a Beach House is being added.

Captain David Pembridge closed the proceedings and said he anticipated a good sail to Bermuda with a reasonable sail home after that.

The food was as good as it looked and served with either mimosa or champagne, followed by tea or coffee.

We then had chance to have a look round the hotels grounds and facilities before boarding the coaches back to Aurora. It was a very civilised afternoon and a perfect venue to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

We had booked a later meal in the Beach House as Sailaway wasn’t until 8:30. We had fabulous views of the Miami skyline very colourfully lit up at night. The Cuban Freedom building stood out in bright red.

A wine steward arrived at the table and told us that the passenger service manager had sent us a bottle of champagne for our anniversary. What a lovely gesture. This anniversary will certainly be one for the memory bank.

The seafood hanging kebab was excellent as usual and Garry enjoyed the sticky chicken.

We finished far too late for the formal entertainment but watching the skyline of Miami disappear into the night was a perfect ending to a fabulous day.

Tomorrow we are in Port Canaveral

Sent from my iPad

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Suekersh wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 16:38
Next it was the turn of David Bernstein who is the CFO of Carnival. He spoke about the future of P & O. and did a great push for Iona but he was really speaking to the wrong audience about that ship. The ship sounds fabulous but in reality just far too big for the majority of passengers attending this event
You can just picture that part of Berstein's talk going down like a lead balloon with lots of groans from their most loyal customers. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Happy Anniversary!
Meg
x

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Happy Anniversary x
Gill

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

What a lovely way to spend your anniversary. Loving the report of your adventures.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Update from Sue

Thursday, 13 February 2020 - Port Canaveral

Other than the space station which we visited a few years ago or the long journey to Universal or Disney there is nothing much here.

Last time we visited the shuttle bus dropped us at Cocoa Beach Village which is a very small, quaint American town with individual shops and a village green. We decided to do the same this time.

When we arrived at Cocoa Beach I couldn’t remember anything that I could see. I spoke to the driver who told me the shuttles no longer drop off at the village which was another 5 miles away. We were dropped at Ron Jons which is a surf shop and a basic shopping mall not far from the beach. We hadn’t come prepared for a beach day but certainly didn’t want a shopping mall either.

We decided to go back to the ship on the next shuttle out but crossed the busy road and found there was a huge hypermarket. We stocked up on cabin supplies then walked back to the shuttle area stopping on the way for a delicious home made key lime ice cream. Not such a wasted morning but lesson learnt to always listen to the port presentations.

After lunch I set up on the sun deck and Garry took advantage of the ship being quiet and attended to the laundry.

Another hot sunny day but possibly our last. The temperature will cool down considerably after today.

When the Horizon arrived for tomorrow we were pleased that there had been a change to the planned casual night to a Formal night, as it should be on Valentines night. I don’t know if this will be an extra one or if one of the other planned formal nights will be changed to a casual night. They have already added one extra formal on for this cruise so I doubt they will add another one on.

It was still warm outside so after dinner we sat out with a drink or two and watched the late Sailaway from Port Canaveral. Lots of passengers with the same idea.

We have a sea day tomorrow

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all in Charleston and managed to finish off yesterday’s report. Sat in a bar with beer and wi fi. Was very cold this morning but heating up now. Not sunbathing weather but clear blue skies.

Friday, 14 February 2020 - Sea day to Charleston

The morning started hot and sunny but soon changed as the clouds came over. At around 10 am the rain came and cleared the aft deck of us sun worshippers. It didn’t last long but it was heavy.

The sun played peek a boo for the rest of the morning. Hot when it was out but the breeze felt chilly without the sun.

I gave up at lunchtime and we went to the dining room for lunch.

There was a Valentine sale in the shops and passengers were buying but I couldn’t find anything that I liked never mind a bargain. The shops really are dire since Duffrys took over from Hardings.

We had a lazy afternoon whilst Garry watched the football and I read.

Garry had booked Sindhu for our evening meal. It was busy because of it being Valentines night. We felt they were rushing us when our pre starter arrived seconds after the canapés and asked them to slow the service down.

The food was good but not excellent and I much prefer both the Glass House and the Beach House.

Tomorrow we are in Charleston.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We used to like the Cocoa Beach area and often used to nip over for a couple of hours or so when on our (many) Orlando holidays. What a shame you ended up at the wrong bit.
Gill

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Update from Sue

Saturday, 15 February 2020 - Charleston

Our plan for the morning was to go to Fort Sumter where the first shots of the civil war were fired on 12 April 1861.

This plan was rapidly changed when we poked our head outside. It was so very cold and a biting wind. The thought of a short sea trip and then a couple of hours out there made me feel colder than it was.

It didn’t help when the locals told us that up to yesterday it was a pleasant 18 degrees. We wrapped up in winter clothes that we planned to travel home in and set off towards the huge indoor market area with many craft stalls, jewellery clothes etc. It is three different buildings each leading into the next.

Last time we were here we did the Historical Charleston tour by Horse and Carriage. There were some Carriages on the roads but no where near as many as there would have been if it hadn’t been so cold.

At the far end of the market we caught the green route DASH Shuttle. This is Charleston’s free bus service and a great way to see different parts of the city. There are three different routes. We got off at Marion Square where there was a wildlife event taking place. As it was weekend it was packed with locals as even though it was still cold it was bright and sunny. Charleston is a beautiful city with so many ornate historical buildings and very easy to walk around.

We headed for the Harris Teeter supermarket for a coffee, free WiFi and a few soft drinks to last us until we reach Ponta Delgada. We are calling at Bermuda first but unless essential we won’t be buying anything there.

Last time we were in Charleston we went to a bar called Queology where I tried the Holy Spicy Señorita margarita cocktail. We found the place but it was no longer a bar. I was so disappointed but as we walked further on we found another place and the sign Queology. The waitress told us that Queology was part of this bar temporarily but they weren’t serving the spicy cocktails. I wasn’t impressed.

The nearer we got to the ship the colder and windier it got. We got back on just in time for lunch in the main dining room. The hot soup was most welcome.

A local group The Sounds of Charleston performed two shows in Carmens. The first was at 5 p.m. but as we had to be ready for dinner for 6 p.m, we couldn’t see that show and the second show was at 7 p.m. when we were still in dinner. Another example of how ridiculous the 6 p.m. dining time is.

The evening entertainment was Tucker who apparently is the host of Sky Tv ‘s The New Variety Show and was billed as a comedy entertainer of the highest standard currently touring jongleurs comedy clubs.

He could sing quite well but that made up about 2% of the show. His idea of comedy was audience participation and his best joke of the evening was when he asked a ladies name and when she said Elsa his response was ‘you must have been frozen today'. - and this is High Standard Comedy!

We set sail for Bermuda later than expected at 10 p.m. but it was too cold to go outside to watch.

We now have 2 sea days to Bermuda.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

It must be hard adapting to the colder weather again. Let’s hope you get a few better days before getting
home.
Gill

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Update from Sue

Sunday, 16 February 2020 - Sea day to Bermuda

The day started very cool but did warm up later on. The seas are very calm as we make our way to Bermuda.

I went into breakfast for smoked salmon & scrambled egg (the salmon was playing hide and seek). The topic of conversation was last nights so called comedy show with Tucker. Everyone agreed how bad it was but I was outvoted when I said he could at least sing as everyone else disagreed and thought his singing was as bad as his comedy.

I had a very lazy morning then went to the Battle of the Sexes quiz where the ladies are once again in the lead but only by a few points.

A few Passengers were out on deck sunbathing in the afternoon but it wasn’t hot enough for me although the sun was warm.

Another Formal night with the Headliners performing Destination dance in the theatre and a formal ball in Carmens.

We lose an hour overnight to put us 4 hours behind UK time.

Monday, 17 February 2020 - 2nd sea day to Bermuda

Calm seas and another cool morning although the sun tried to break through the clouds.

The sea looked oily as it was so calm.

We had our Ligurian lunch at noon on a table set for seven but was an eight seater round table. Two of our dining companions didn’t turn up and if they had let the loyalty know we could have been moved to a smaller table. Conversation is very difficult on such a large table. Our host was the Staff chief engineer and hadn’t worked for P & O for very long. We could converse with him but not the other couple who were sat opposite us.

The wine flowed well as it usually does on these occasions which meant a duvet afternoon.

The evening entertainment was Tucker which we opted out of but not much else going on. We went out to the aft deck and although not Caribbean hot it was warm enough to sit out and have a drink. A lot of pax had the same idea.

To morrow we arrive in Bermuda for an overnight stay.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Enjoy Bermuda Sue x
Gill

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Latest update from Sue

Tuesday, 18 February 2020 - Bermuda

Auroras arrival was due to be at 09:30 which as the f ferry to Hamilton was at 09:45 it was going to be very tight. Captain arrived early and took most passengers by surprise. We were off just after 9 a.m. and did a sprint over to the visitors centre to buy the tokens. You can pay on the ferries but only in cash and no change given.

The return journey was 9 dollars each or we could have bought a day pass for just less than 20 dollars each. As we knew we only wanted to go to Hamilton we just bought the tokens.

The ferry was packed with passengers and a few locals with motor bikes. Luckily we were the only ship in port. Last time we were here I had booked a private small group trip around the island but with free time in St Georges. This meant that we only drove through Hamilton.

St George’s is the old historic capital city and has far more interesting buildings. Hamilton is the new city with bigger shops, banks and financial centres. Everything is close by and easily walkable.

We started in the visitor centre where there was a craft fare. Only a handful of stalls but one was rum tasting. We purchased a bottle of the famous Black Seal at half price because of the duty. They deliver to the ship which is why we could purchase duty free.

The waterfront is lovely and the colourful houses and buildings very picturesque. I overheard someone say ‘ This place is dripping in Money’ so very true.

We found a bar one floor above street level with a sunny terrace and comfy seating plus free WiFi. I ordered a Dark and Stormy local cocktail which is ginger beer with the Black Seal rum. Garry had 2 beers as they were on Bogof. It was so lovely just sitting there boat and people watching that we ordered a light lunch and another couple of beers.

Instead of catching the ferry we walked up to the bus station and got on the local bus. This was quite an experience with a kamikaze driver who took no prisoners. The bus was a mixture of locals including students and cruise ship passengers. It was a very picturesque route back to the ship as we passed through the small villages and saw the beautiful pink beaches which were mainly deserted.

The evening entertainment was the Headliners new (ish) show Astonish. We had seen it at Christmas but it was so good we decided to see it again. It was excellent. This Headliners group finish their contract when we arrive in Southampton so tonight’s later performance will be the last time they perform this show.

Wednesday, 19 February 2020 - 2 nd day in Bermuda

There was no rush to get off as the National Museum where the Dolphin Quest is located didn’t open until 10 a.m.

Garry did a load of laundry whilst I went to breakfast. The talk around the table was about last nights late Headliners show. It had to be stopped part way through due to an equipment malfunction. Such a shame the Headliners group would have been very disappointed.

The weather was sunny and hot but with a cool breeze. We walked through to Dolphin Quest where a group of young school children were waiting to enter. They were extremely well behaved. Next came a group of pre school children all in their nursery uniform they were very cute and so excited about their trip out.

We watched the Dolphins morning routines and saw that there was a new addition since our visit here last year. A female dolphin now aged 8 months. I know the trainers were hoping for a male as there is only one male in the pod.

The dolphins gave a great show for the school children and some of Auroras passengers paid 170 US and braved the water to swim with them.

There is much more to see here than just the Dolphin Quest and at 12US pp a bargain day out. The Commissioners House is located at the highest point and was built in the 1820s. It is the Worlds first prefabricated cast-iron building and a couple of years ago was reopened following a 20 year restoration. It’s quite a trek to get up there but the views are spectacular. Inside every room has exhibits and collections.

It was another great morning but we had an early Sailaway at 14:30.

There was a Sailaway dance party on the aft deck. The afternoon sun was hot and many passengers were making the most of it.

We watched as Aurora was navigated through the narrow channels to avoid the reef and Hamilton disappear into the distance. We sailed past St George’s where the pilot left Aurora, and we started the long sail across the Atlantic to Punta Delgada.

We stayed on deck until the sun went and the temperature suddenly dropped. We skipped dinner in the main dining room and had a lazy evening in the buffet before returning to the cabin.

The entertainment was Electra 2 female violinists in the theatre and Paul Hitchcock a magician in Carmens.

The clocks go forward an hour in the early hours of the morning to GMT -3 and we have 4 sea days to Ponta Delgada.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have seen Electra many times on Cunard, they’re really excellent, but sometimes all you need is a quiet evening. Or we do anyway.
Gill

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Further news from our traveller

Thursday,/ Sunday 20 to 23 February 2020 - Sea days to Ponta Delgada

We had 4 days of virtually perfect sea conditions some cloudy cool mornings but not cold and many passengers were outside making the most of it.

I went to the Battle of the sexes each day and the lead swapped between the men and the ladies and back to the men again although there is very little in it.

We took advantage of the sea days and went to watch the Downton Abbey Movie. The first time we had been in the Cinema this cruise. We both enjoyed the film and as it didn’t finish until 5:30p.m. we didn’t bother with the Formal night and instead went to the buffet. There was 2 formal nights within the 4 sea days and we didn’t do either of them.

The entertainment has been very mixed but the gold star of the cruise goes to Philip Browne singing music from the West End shows. He was on both Thursday and Saturday nights and got a well deserved standing ovation. He was fabulous and by far the best vocalist we have had on the ship. He had played the Lion King in the West End and he simply excelled and was Head and shoulders above any other act we have seen on board.

Friday evening entertainment was a couple of male step dancers. They were very talented but I had a very tall person in front of me with Big Hair and watching tap dancing is pretty boring when you can’t see the feet. We took advantage of their short break to change their clothes and left the theatre

The headliners performed an afternoon play in the theatre called a Relatively Speaking. It isn’t long since we had seen it and as it’s 2 hours long plus a half hour interval we decided against going to see it.

The Captain made an announcement late Saturday afternoon informing us that we have an unwell passenger who needs urgent medical attention in a hospital. We had noticed that Aurora had increased speed. We will now arrive in Ponta Delgada at 7 p.m. on Sunday evening instead of Monday morning.

The Shore experience team had been busy and organised an evening trip for dinner and a folk show.

We arrived at 7 p.m. to a reasonably warm but not Caribbean warm evening.

Tomorrow is forecast to be sunny and 20 degrees.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Update from Sue

Monday, 24 February - Ponta Delgada

A glorious sunny day but a slight chill in the early morning air. By 10 a.m. is was 20 degrees and my coat came off.

We just needed a few cokes to last us until home. We wandered around in the sun for a while then found a bar. It made a change not to be looking for wi fi as our UK Data package worked here. My last beer of the cruise sat in the hot sun. No way am I ready for the cold that is waiting for us at home.

There was a special 2 hour cruise Sailaway on the aft deck at 3:30 although we don’t actually Sailaway until 4:30. I got a bed in the sun then just before it started I moved up to deck 11 away from the deafeningly loud music and where there was a better view and still in the sun. The decks were the busiest I had seen them all cruise. It was a memorable Sailaway which started with an ice carving demonstration, the resident band Choice played (very loudly), then came the DJ and the entertainment team who danced their ‘socks off’ until just after we sailed away. Although not now called the Great British Sailaway it was very similar but without Land and Hope & Glory.

Instead for England they put on the Bucks Fizz Eurovision winner and Queen’s Radio Ga Ga. and some Beatles songs. The ents team certainly deserved a rest after that as they had danced for nearly an hour non stop.

The music had been so loud that the Captains announcement couldn’t be heard. We caught the gist of it as we were sat under a speaker. Apparently the good weather will last till tomorrow but it may worsen after that.

Choice continued playing and the sun continued shining and the passengers who weren’t on early dining continued enjoying it. We had already decided not to go in the dining room so I stayed out until the end.

We ate in buffet and were amazed how packed out it was, so many pax had the same idea. I didn’t enjoy the food and had expected as it was a Portuguese buffet to enjoy grilled sardines but not one in sight. I managed with a salad then returned to the cabin and pigged out on stackers and biscuits.

The entertainment was Mickey Zany who we had seen last year so we had a cabin night and Garry watched the Liverpool match.

We now have 3 sea days to Southampton.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Sue,

Have enjoyed reading about your cruise. Safe journey home.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Suekersh wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:45
No way am I ready for the cold that is waiting for us at home.
Hope you've got your wellies and thermals with you for your trip home. :shock:

Excellent review, as usual. Thank you.

Maureen

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Safe journey home both.

Lindsey

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”