Sue and Garry's Aurora Cruise January 24

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Sue and Garry's Aurora Cruise January 24

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all. Here is the first cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Lindsey

Tuesday 2 nd January - Drive down to Southampton

We had an early start as expected the roads to be busy with back to school and work. It wasn’t busy and other than the weather and torrential rain it would be have been okay.
We had several stops mainly to get a break from the windscreen wipers going constantly. Lots of idiots on the road, no lights, driving like they were in a race with no consideration for the patches of flood water on the motorways.
We arrived at the Elizabeth House Hotel just after 1 p.m. and our room was ready soon afterwards. I just made Garry a brew whilst I opted for a gin and tonic and just relaxed. We had picked up food on the way down from M & S as we knew that neither of us would want to go into dinner. The wine was chilling and we had everything we needed.

Wednesday, 3 January 2024 - Boarding Day

We arrived at the dock approx 11 am and there was already a queue of cars waiting for the CPS stewards to start. They didn’t start until after 11:30 by which time the check in at the terminal had already commenced.

Priority check in was very busy and as more checks were being done for the USA Estas and the Yellow fever vaccination / exemption it was taking longer than normal. Everyone was in good spirits and the Grand voyages are known as the January club as most passengers knew or recognised each other.

Before 1 p.m. we were called forward to security and then from there straight on to board Aurora, visit the muster station and then into the welcome on board lunch. There were so many top tier passengers entitled to this perk that they had to utilise both main dining restaurants. Many stay in there for most of the afternoon but we just had a couple of drinks and something to eat before departing to start unpacking and sorting the cabin out. All the luggage was waiting for us and we were pleased we hadn’t stopped longer or had more to drink as we got stuck into the mammoth task of fitting in 65 nights worth of clothes, shoes, toiletries and medication into our cabin.
We found out later that we had been very lucky getting all of our luggage early as some were still being delivered in the evening.

The timings for fixed sitting dinner have been changed to 6 p.m. for early sitting and 8 p.m. for late sitting just for this cruise. We would have preferred it to be the normal timing of 6:30 but we will get used to it and will probably use the alternative dining more especially when we are in the Caribbean.

The Captains announcement was for choppy seas with some Potholes which may result in a bumpy overnight sailing.

There were a few fireworks to see Aurora off on the Grand Voyage but as we sailed a little late we were in dinner when they started but luckily we could see them from our window table.

Dinner was excellent and afterwards we had a walk around the ship to see what was going on. Pulse were performing in a very quiet Carmens and the Crows Nest was also dead. Aurora was starting to move around and after a drink in Champions we returned to the cabin .

Thursday - 4 January 1 st Sea day

As the Captain had forecast it was windy which caused some ships movement but nothing Aurora couldn’t cope with.

I went to the Fit Steps class to try to get some exercise in as
once we are in warmer climes I won’t want to leave my sun bed.

There was a Facebook meet up arranged in the Crows Nest but as is normal with these events everyone was too spaced out in different areas. I tried to get around as many of our group as I could but had to leave before the end to attend a meeting with the food & Beverage team regarding dietary requirements.

The sun kept trying to burn off the cloud and wind lessened as the day went on. Around lunchtime we turned Southwesterly and noticed that we were on a course to keep on the outskirts of the Bay of Biscay.

Aurora hit a few pot holes but nothing to compare to the bad weather the ship has endured recently. For this time of year we have had a very tame start to crossing the Atlantic.

Our invites for the first Ligurian lunch event had been delivered to our cabin for Saturday. I am so pleased we are on the first lunch as it won’t interrupt my sun worshipping days.

Friday, 5 January 2024 - 2 nd sea day to Madeira

Fit steps this morning was a challenge with Aurora still finding the potholes.
Coral one of the entertainment team took the class. She is hilarious, it really doesn’t feel like exercise because of the laughter.

We went down to see the loyalty team before lunch. They were very busy which gave us chance to browse the brochure. We hadn’t really intended to book any more cruises for 2025 as already have a few booked but the Christmas and New Year cruises on Aurora appealed especially as our cabin booked for the 2026 Grand Voyage was available, which means we will already be on board and settled into our cabin for when the 2026 Grand Voyage starts. It is a while since we have seen the New Year Fireworks in Hamburg. The Christmas cruise is unusual as they are all overnight stays in Copenhagen, Oslo and Rotterdam.

It was the 1 st formal night of this Grand Voyage and the Captains Welcome on board party. Captain Russell Robson talked about the weather for the next few days and some of the ports we will be visiting.
The waiters were very generous with the bubbles but as we were going to Sindhu for dinner with friends to celebrate a birthday I kept hold of my glass so that it couldn’t be refilled.

We met our friends in Sindhu. Neil had ordered Champagne to toast Julie and this time the real stuff. The food and service as usual was excellent and the Jam Shed Shiraz complemented the meal.

Neil had ordered a huge birthday cake and by the time we had finished the evening we were absolutely ‘stuffed’
Fabulous company and a great evening.

When we returned to the cabin I had two nice surprises. I had gained an extra drawer as the ‘useless’ hairdryer which had been fitted into the drawer had been removed and replaced by a new non fitted hairdryer, which as I won’t use is now living at the top shelf of the wardrobe and I can use the drawer for cosmetics. How small things like this make me so happy.

On the first formal night the cabin stewards normally deliver a half bottle of champagne to high tier members of the peninsular club but on our return to the cabin a full bottle of Tattinger had been delivered. Nice treat and thank you to the Loyalty team.

Saturday 6 January 2024 - 3rd sea day to Madeira

Despite the overindulgences of last night I slept well and woke clear headed.

Garry went for a walk and then did the laundry whilst it was still quiet.

Neither of us could face a full breakfast so instead went to the buffet for a light one.

The weather is improving and the deck crew had set the sun beds up. Still far too cold me but a sign of good weather ahead.

Ligurian lunch - we had been allocated a table for six but as two didn’t arrive it was a foursome which worked out really well. Great company, lovely food and the champagne and wine flowed well. Although I enjoy this luncheon I much prefer it early on in the cruise before the sun gets its hat on.

Sunday just arrived at our first port of call Madeira and Ventura will also be in port with us.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Sue and Garry's Aurora Cruise January 24

Post by cruisin_duo »

Hope you have a great cruise Sue. Look forward to hearing about your adventures. Fingers crossed for calmer seas.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Hi Sue,

I'm looking forward to reading your always excellent reports.

Have a wonderful cruise on the lovely Aurora.

Sunny days and calm seas.

Best wishes and Happy New Year

Maureen

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Six years ago today I was on Aurora, I think Sue was too, in Madeira and it was Ruby Wedding Anniversary. John and I had booked independently to have tea at Reids Hotel in Funchal. It was a beautifully sunny day and we had a great time sat on the balcony at Reids overlooking the sea and had a brilliant tea. Very happy memories of that and the whole cruise. I was hoping that Sue would do her usual cruise report. Thank you Sue, have a wonderful cruise.

Carole

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Sue, just got the calculator out and by my reckoning, taking into account the amount of cruises you have done you could have bought Aurora and replenished it with top of the range sunbeds. :lol:

Good read as always. :thumbup:

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Good old Garry, already checked out the laundry. Have a(nother) great cruise Sue and Garry , we look forward to reading further reports to brighten the months ahead.
Oh, and a Happy New Year to you both and all the forum members, a good year to you all.
Don't worry, be happy

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Happy Birthday Sue, with the sea days getting warmer I'm sure you will have a good day. 🥂
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Here is the latest update from Sue and Garry.

Sunday 7 January - Madeira

We were woken up at around 4:30 am with a loud drilling noise.
I had a look around but couldn’t see any workmen, then realised it was coming from a void above. We reported it to reception who came to listen and said they would investigate. We can only a presume it was an emergency repair at that time of the morning.

We disembarked once it was daylight but Madeira was surrounded by low cloud. The forecast wasn’t great and there were some rainy spells during the day.

The shuttle bus stop has changed and they now drop off close to the cable car which is more central to the market area. I am not sure if this is a permanent change or just because it is a Sunday call. We stocked up on cabin supplies at the big supermarket and returned to the ship before setting off again to see what else was open. It wasn’t worth doing the cable car due to the low cloud and mist so after purchasing some custard tarts we found a bar with music and stayed there out of the rain enjoying a few beers.

On our way back to the shuttle we had a message from friends off Ventura that they were in a bar close to the shuttle. We found them and had a quick catch up before returning to Aurora.

The Deck Officer came to see us later in the day and explained it was outside contractors who caused the issue and noise this morning but that it wouldn’t happen again as they had now disembarked.

The new headliners company performed their first show in the theatre On the Horizon and comedy and Magical Entertainer Stephen Garcia was in Carmens.

Captains departure announcement was that there were storms due to hit and he was taking a more Southerly course to try to avoid the worst of them.

‘Just get me to the Caribbean’!!

We now have 5 sea days until we arrive in Bermuda.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning everyone from a sunny but very cold Swansea.

Monday, 8 January 2024 - 5 Sea days to Bermuda
Clocks changed by 1 hour with another 3 hours to lose before we reach Bermuda.
As usual we were up early and we both walked the deck before breakfast.

The sunrise was absolutely stunning and I anticipated a sunny day. It wasn’t as good as the first signs promised but I did get some sun worship in but the clouds wind and rain showers kept trying to spoil the party.

I met a friend for coffee in the Crows Nest before lunch and we caught up on the 12 months since we last met up.

The afternoon was better than the morning and I got another hour or so of sun before calling it a day. The forecast to Bermuda is not great so any sun. is a bonus day.

Tuesday 9 January - 2 nd of 5 sea days and my Birthday.

This was a much better day for my favourite cruise pastime lying on a sunbed and soaking up the rays from the globe in the sky.

Garry had purchased the internet package which at £18 for 24 hours is daylight robbery but since the upgrade to the new system it does actually work without dropping out and is fast as well as reliable.

I caught up with family and friends to thank them for the cards, gifts and messages. More cards came from the ships company along with chocolates.

Invites had been delivered during the day to a reception in Carmens for Ligurian tier members. There will be drinks and canapés and a special Ligurian Tier announcement. Our guess is that the announcement will be the date, time and venue for the Ligurian Grand Voyage event.

In the evening we went to dinner with friends to the Glass House. Another enjoyable evening with great food and company. We had asked the bar manager to chill the bottle of Tattinger which had been delivered to our cabin a few days ago and started the evening with that.

The surf and turf in there is lush and a bottle of Jam shed Shiraz disappeared as well. The Glass House serves the best cheese board.

The fabulous Neil Lockwood was in the theatre and we had every intention of going in to see his show but the food and drink took its toll and we didn’t make it. He will be on again later this week.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all, here is todays latest update from Sue and Garry.

Wednesday 10 January 2024 - 3 rd sea day to Bermuda

Although Captain Russell had gone over 200 miles South to miss the worst of the storms, today was the day that was always going to be where it caught us up. The wind was fierce but the sun was shining. I couldn’t tell if it was raining or if it was the wind blowing the spray up from the sea. The spot I choose to sit in on the wings of the aft deck is the windiest area but I love it with the view of the sea.
It wasn’t long before I gave up and found a more sheltered spot out of the fierce wind.

‘Just get me to the Caribbean’!

The rough seas got worse as the day progressed and walking around became a challenge. This will be the worst day for the storm and hopefully tomorrow although we will be sailing North the weather should improve.
After dinner we decided there was too much movement to be comfortable and returned to the cabin to read and catch up on some sleep.

Thursday, 11 January 2024 - 4 th sea day to Bermuda

We woke to much smoother seas and it was once again safe to walk around Aurora. No more ‘funny walks’ or taking one step forward and three to the side.

I went out on the pennant bar deck to check the wind and temperature. It was only 06:30 and it was a bit brrrrr. An officer saw me shiver and he said don’t worry it will be fine tomorrow when we get to the Caribbean. I told him we were going to Bermuda on Saturday and he said well that’s in the Caribbean. Err no it’s not it’s in the Atlantic. Good job he wasn’t a Bridge Officer.

I set up in a less windy spot and gradually the sun burnt off the cloud and it was a hot under the sun but once it disappeared behind the cloud it was very cool.
I lazed on my sunbed all day reading and chatting. A popular topic of conversation was ‘ Where will the Ligurian Event be held’? There appears to be three popular candidates, Cozumel, Barbados and Cartagena.

I am hoping it is in Cozumel as the last time it was held here was a good few years ago whereas Barbados was in 2018 and although a lovely venue for the event the service was not great and many passengers complained.

Cartagena was a fabulous event last year but I can’t see them repeating it so soon afterwards. We find out on Sunday and of course it may not be any of the above venues as the loyalty team and senior management like to keep it a secret by dropping tit bits of false information to tantalise.

2 nd formal night - another excellent meal with great company. Our friends went to the Theatre to watch the Headliners perform Fantasy and we headed off to the Crows Nest for a Salted Caramel Martini. Normally on a formal night the Crows Nest is buzzing but it was very quiet. Tessa and Steve were there for pre dinner drinks as was the comedy magician who I didn’t recognise as he didn’t have any sticky paper plastered on his face. I only realised it was him when Tessa gave me a look as I commented on the cr*p entertainment in Carmens. Ooops ! At least it’s his final show and he will disembark on Saturday in Bermuda.

Friday, 12 January 2024 - final sea day to Bermuda

A much calmer day and the wind has changed direction. Beautiful sunrise which I managed to capture before it quickly disappeared behind a bank of cloud. It was still only 7 am and already warmer than yesterday.
Unfortunately the early promise of sunshine disappeared as the cloud thickened. By lunch time the decks had cleared as the rain had started and it has turned cold and windy.

‘Just get me to the Caribbean!!!’

‘The Story Begins ‘ event was organised for the outside pool area but had to change venues to the covered pool because of the weather. There was a bbq and various stalls set up promoting the different departments of Aurora. The free raffle was the most popular stall.
The whole event had been organised extremely well and many officers were in attendance to answer questions.

Late afternoon Captain Russell made one of his very few announcements, which as he doesn’t very often, we were not expecting good news.

When we left Madeira he announced that because of the storm brewing in the Atlantic he had made the decision to take a more Southerly route to miss the worst of it. Of course there had to be a downside which was that we had taken a much longer route and instead of arriving in Bermuda for 08:30 it would be nearer to midday, he also added that rain was expected for the afternoon in Bermuda.

Omg! Just get me to the Caribbean!!!

When we booked this cruise over 2 years ago it was advertised as an overnight in Bermuda which many passengers us included presumed 2 days in Bermuda. We soon realised when the tours were released that there were none advertised for the second day. After more research into the port schedules we found that Aurora would be leaving early morning on the 2 nd day. This meant less than 24 hours in Bermuda but we are now not arriving until around midday and leaving at 7 a.m on Sunday morning so actually much less than 24 hours.
This also means that we have 3 sea days until the next port of call which is Nassau. The last time we cruised from Bermuda to Nassau we left Bermuda in the afternoon and had one full sea day arriving in Nassau at 9 am the following morning. I just hope the 3 sea days we now have are hot and sunny.

Neil Lockwood performed his final show in the theatre to a packed house. He is the ultimate professional and got a standing ovation.

Saturday, 13 January 2024- Bermuda

The final hour change overnight and 4 hours behind UK and we are now on Caribbean time but still in the Atlantic. Aurora was speeding last night to try to make up some time.
Bermuda was covered in low cloud as we picked the pilot up around 07:30 an hour earlier than anticipated and we started sailing around the island. It was still very cool and I really don’t envy those on water based trips today.

There were no other ships in today and as the sea was calm we made good time and arrived earlier than expected. It was Cold and Windy. We didn’t stay out long and returned before it started persisting down,

Roll on the Caribbean.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all, here is the latest update from Sue and Garry.

Saturday, 13 January 2024- Bermuda

The final hour change overnight and 4 hours behind UK and we are now on Caribbean time but still in the Atlantic. Aurora was speeding last night to try to make up some time.
Bermuda was covered in low cloud as we picked the pilot up around 07:30 an hour earlier than anticipated and we started sailing around the island. It was still very cool and I really don’t envy those on water based trips today.

I walked around the deck and the island gradually appeared as the night sky disappeared. It was very windy and Aurora needed 2 tugs and the Captain a lot of patience before we eventually tied up at Kings Wharf opposite the Governors Mansion.
In the past the sun and warmth has greeted us but this time we could have been in the North of England in Spring except for the beautiful blue colour of the sea.

We did get off to stretch our legs but it’s not much fun fighting the wind especially when in the past this has been a favourite destination.

I wanted to purchase the local Rum - Gosling Black Seal but the Duty free shop was closed and had no intention of opening according to a local. I did manage to find a smaller bottle of it in the pharmacy so measures will have to meagre. They also sold the ginger beer to go with it to make the local cocktail called Dark & Stormy. Something to look forward to once the weather improves enough to enjoy the open decks at night.

The evening entertainment was a Pannist in Carmens which we had never heard of. We called in there but although he was very talented I decided 10 minutes was enough and went along to the theatre to see a local group of very colourful dancers and steel drums being beaten very loudly.
They were brilliant and although we couldn’t see the faces of the dancers as they were masked some looked like very young children . The show was all about telling the story of the slavery of the past by dance and music.

We departed Bermuda around 7:30 pm Sunday morning and will have 3 sea days before reach Nassau on Wednesday morning.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Evening everyone.
Here is the latest cruise update from Sue and Garry.

Sunday, 14 January 2024 - Sea days to Nassau, Bahamas.

After leaving Bermuda early morning we watched the sailaway whilst we waited in vain for the elusive globe in the sky to appear. At times it looked hopeful but it was just a tease and the cloud became thicker and the rain started. On a positive note the wind had lessened.

I had booked the early afternoon wine tasting event which the Glass House sommeliers were hosting in the Alexandra restaurant. Five different wines including white, two different red, champagne, and Brandy’s 10 year old Malmsey from Madeira, served with cheese and biscuits. Both Ajay and Dennis were very knowledgeable. I don’t know if they toss a coin as to who speaks first as Ajay started the session and certainly had the easiest time as when Dennis took over the half way through everyone had sampled the wines and the volume had certainly got louder with everyone talking amongst their selves rather than listening to the intricacies of winemaking.

Before dinner there was a Ligurian event organised with drinks where we would be informed where this year’s Grand Voyage Top Tier event would take place. So many rumours going round but as we left the cabin the exclusive invites had already arrived and it was no longer a secret.
The drinks flowed continuously for the half hour along with Canapés and there were numerous waiters around filling up glasses continuously.
Luke the Loyalty manager then announced the location and how the event would be organised. He had slides and photos of the venue. It looked a fabulous hotel and restaurant with a market area as well. Very Impressive.

We are being wined and dined in Barbados at a restaurant Local & Co who were involved with the Arvia launch. Very exciting but as we leave at 10:30 a.m my appointment with the turtles in Barbados will have to be postponed until November.

The evening entertainment was a comedian in the theatre and Chris Walker with the Aurora Orchestra in Carmens playing Swing music. He is so talented and entertaining.

Monday 15 January 2024 - 2 nd sea day to Nassau

The wind had died down considerably and as the night sky cleared it looked promising that we would get some sun today on the aft deck.

It took a while but before 10 a.m. the sun was winning the battle with the light clouds. The aft decks started filling up and everyone’s mood lifted.

We are only cruising around 11 knots, the sea is like a mill pond and finally we can feel the suns rays.

Not formal night as we had expected according to the cruise personaliser Information and this is now on Thursday instead. Normally once we get board we get a detailed list of the formal nights but this hasn’t arrived yet.

The sun and clouds fought the battle but it was still pleasant on deck as there was little wind. I gave up mid afternoon and decided to give my hair a treat. Garry helped by doing the back for me.

After dinner we went to the Theatre to see the Lavelles. Three ladies singing Motown. They were excellent and very entertaining singing old favourites by the Supremes, Marvelettes, and Gladys Knight. I will definitely be going to their second show.

Tuesday, 16 January 2024 final sea day to Nassau, Bahamas.
Oh YES! Here comes the sun. The night clouds cleared to leave blue skies with whispy light clouds. Only a ripple on the sea and nice warm breeze.
I did a few boring chores but still managed to have breakfast, iron Garry’s shirts, walk the deck and be led on my sun bed by 8 a.m.
The decks filled up very quickly as everyone wanted to feel the sun on their bodies. The difference in temperature was noticeable whenever the clouds covered the sun.

The Horizon newspaper arrived before we went to dinner. The bad news is the weather forecast in Nassau is for Heavy Rain. I just hope this is a BBC weather forecast as I had planned a beach day.

Just get me to the Caribbean!

The evening entertainment was the Headliners performing ‘Astonish’ in the Theatre and the Comedian Steve Terry in Carmens.
We opted for Carmens as the Comedians name didn’t ring any bells.
I am not a fan of comedians on the cruise ships as it is usually the same old jokes that get repeated over and over again but at least Carmens is easy to walk out of.

Steve Terry was absolutely the funniest comedian I have ever heard. He had gauged his audience just right, he wouldn’t be employed on the child friendly ships but he had Carmens on Aurora in fits of laughter.
Definitely a name to remember for the future.

It was warm enough outside to have evening drinks on the aft deck. It was very busy on C deck as it is sheltered from the wind.

Tomorrow we arrive in Nassau.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Here is todays cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Wednesday, 17 January 2024 - Nassau Bahamas

Nassau is the Capital of The Bahamas in the West Indies on the Northeastern coast of New Providence Island. We are now down to Latitude 25 degrees, Madeira was 32 degrees the same as Bermuda. The hour changed again overnight and we are now 5 hours behind UK time.

A stunning sunrise and the Deputy Captains announcement was more positive about the weather than the forecast in the Horizon. I probably won’t risk the beach as there were clouds around and it kept drizzling on and off. We watched other ships arrive and there were six of them I kept praying that a Disney ship wouldn’t arrive next to us.

We disembarked along with the other circa 30k passengers & crew from the ships berthed. The sun was shining and it was hot but just like ‘ Blackpool on Steroids’ loud music everywhere and everyone wanting you to spend your dollars with them.
The straw market was very busy and there were some interesting stalls especially the wood carving ones but unfortunately the tourist tat stalls well outnumbered the artisan stalls.

We stopped for some Gelato, it was good but at 26$ we didn’t stay for another. Then the clouds thickened and we headed back to the ship just in time before the heavens opened. It rained for most of the afternoon .

We spoke to others who had been on trips or just wandered like ourselves and the vast majority were very unimpressed. I do think the weather makes a difference to peoples opinions of ports and also their choice of tours.

This was our third time here and unless a very different tour option is available I would opt to stay on board the ship.

The one positive I can take from this day is that the Disney Ship did not arrive in port!!! Last time they played mega loud music all day plus the big outside screen showing Disney films with the sound at full blast.

We were the last ship to depart at around 19:30.

We spent the evening in Carmens listening to Pulse who were excellent before going onto the aft deck for a night cap. There was relaxing music playing through the speaker system which hasn’t been there before tonight. It was very pleasant with the pool lights on and I hope this will be a permanent feature whilst we are in the warmer climes.

We have a sea day tomorrow and the forecast is for more cloud and rain.

Just get me to the Caribbean!

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We never got to Nassau in all our cruises and it makes me think we didn't miss too much. Neither John nor I were beach people and the idea of being berthed all day next to a Disney ship was something else we missed. I really hope you get true Caribbean weather. I think when we did our Circumnavigation of South America back in 2018 we didn't have brilliant weather when we reached the Caribbean, I remember it raining most of the day we were in St. Lucia. We were used to the periods of liquid sunshine but not constant rain. I miss those evenings sat out on deck with a glass in hand in the warm Caribbean sunshine, especially on days like today when there was a very hard frost. In parts of Hampshire last night, according to the radio it was -11C!

Carole

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Evening everyone.

Thursday 18, January 2024 - Sea day to Port Canaveral
The forecast was correct. We woke to thick cloud and drizzle. It wasn’t particularly cold but the wind made it feel cool.

The music by the aft pool was still playing so either someone forgot to flick the switch or there was a problem turning it off. As dock officers came out to investigate scratching their heads I suspect there is a problem. I wonder if there have been complaints from passengers in the aft outside cabins.

It rained on and off for most of the day.

The immigration information for tomorrow arrived in the cabin. Not complicated but took some digesting of the different times and where to meet depending on which trip booked or independent passengers, and what documentation we needed.

It was the 3 rd formal night and we opted to dine in the Glass House for a change and as it had been such a grim day it would be a nice treat.

It was busy in there and soon after we arrived they were queuing for tables. The food and service was excellent as usual and once again I ate and drank far too much.

Tomorrow we dock in Port Canaveral very early morning.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Friday, 19 January - Port Canaveral

Our time to collect an independent ticket for immigration is from 8 am in Charlie’s which means passengers will be camping out from 6 a.m. to ensure they are first off. As no one can get back on the ship until everyone including crew have been immigrated we were not rushing off. The shuttle bus to Cocoa Beach starts at 9 a.m.

We had breakfast outside on the aft deck. It was very cool but still early morning and at least no liquid sunshine in sight.

We collected our tickets just before 8 am and they had obviously opened early as there was only a short queue but we were ticket number 77 which is in the first group of independents to go through immigration.

It didn’t go completely to plan time wise but we have had worse.
We were through immigration and on the Shuttle to Cocoa Beach just after 10 am.

It was degrees warmer there than at the windy port and we were soon discarding layers. We walked to the beach where the surf was up then found a bar with great views and a great choice of beers and cocktails. Sam Adams beer followed by a Rum cocktail.

We found the key lime sundae shop and had the ice cream we had tied a few years ago. It was just as delicious as I remembered.

Ron Jon’s Surf shop was close by and I used the facilities there. I would have purchased swimwear but the itsy bitsy teeny weeny micro bikinis just weren’t available in my colour 🤣

Across a very wide busy road we could see a CV store and Walgreens. We didn’t need much but a few essentials that we were running short on.
At least there were lights to cross the road which must be as wide as our motorways.

The shuttles back to the ship were frequent and plenty of them. Immigration had finished so we could get straight back onto Aurora.
I am sat on the aft deck and have managed to get onto The Disney Wish free Wi-Fi.

Tomorrow we are in Miami and we have a trip booked to the Art deco area and South Beach.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Saturday, 20 January 2024 - Miami

Not a bad early morning but quite cool. Our trip was leaving at 09:15 to South beach and the Art deco area.
A bit like Fred Carnos circus as Miami port was very busy. A tour guide that couldn’t count plus knowing that there were no seats left on the coach still insisted that there were 2 people missing. Half an hour later than advertised we set off without the non existing missing people to loud cheers from the rest of the passengers.

It was a very busy day at the port with six ships in including the largest ship of them all the brand new ‘Icon of the seas ‘ which holds over 8,000 passengers.

We finally arrived at our destination and after asking the guide we were given the half hour we had missed added onto the time due back on board.
It wasn’t a guided tour as we had free time on our own but we hadn’t been given any maps or information. The bus drop off and pick up point was across the road from the Miami Central Police Station.

We set off to find Versace’s house which is now a hotel, before crossing the road and onto South Beach. It wasn’t as busy as expected and many empty sun loungers. Once the sun got higher it was a hot sunny day with whispy clouds. The life guard stations were all themed and were brightly painted. I wasn’t tempted to swim as the surf was up.

We stopped for a drink before walking a few blocks and admiring the art deco buildings. Lots of hotels as well as private houses. We walked as far as Lincoln street and the shopping area. There appeared to be a Vape and smoke shop every 100 yds .

The three hours we had here passed very quickly and we didn’t have time for lunch. A local beer went down well, and as we reached the meeting point with 10 minutes to spare we had time to pick up some cabin supplies before boarding the bus. The return journey was uneventful and very quiet. I think everyone must have been exhausted.

We had booked dinner with friends in the Beach House as we had an evening departure time of 10 am and had anticipated a sultry evening under the stars.
It wasn’t a sultry evening and we lasted 5 minutes at an outside table before the cool breeze sent us inside. We did have a nice window table but it’s just not the same eating inside the Beach House. We have more evenings in there booked for the Caribbean.

The evening entertainment was a Local Act called Miami Salsa in the Curzon theatre which we missed as they were performing at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
The reports we heard about the show were not favourable.

We now have 2 sea days to Key West and as it is usually just an overnight sail we are hoping that the Captain goes in search of some sun.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all.
Here is todays cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Sunday, 21 January 2024- Sea Day to Key West

Another very cool and blustery early morning but the sunrise was stunning which gave hope that it would burn off the clouds and heat up the wind.

It was a ‘wax on’ ‘wax off’ day. Fleece on towels for cover then glorious sunshine Fleece off towels off. When it was out it was very hot, but even the smallest see through cloud made the temperature drop degrees.

Captain Russell made an announcement before dinner explaining the route we were taking to reach Key West. Originally the itinerary was for one sea day from Miami to Key West but the port authorities changed our day there to Tuesday instead of Monday. Yesterday we sailed past Key West and the ship will turn round to head back ready for Tuesday. There was a hesitation before he added that he will keep us informed about the weather in Key West.

I will be more surprised if we actually get in there as the weather forecast is for high winds all around the area.

The evening entertainment was fabulous with Wayne Denton as John Denver in the theatre and the Headliners company in Carmens with their performance of Top of the Billboards.

It was the first time we have seen this group of headliners and they were fabulous. The Male vocalists were outstanding.

Sea day tomorrow and very unlikely to be a sunny one.

Sent from my iPad

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Good evening everyone, here is the latest update from Sue and Garry.

Monday, 22 January 2024 - 2 nd sea day to Key West.

This weather is now beyond a joke although most of us are still good humoured about it. Nothing can be done about it so no point getting irritated about it.

One of the best comments I have heard about came from an ‘uppity lady’ and apparently this just wouldn’t happen on Cunard. 😂😂

Socked in thick cloud, cold wind and Grey choppy seas. Struggling to find a positive comment except that it can only get better.... or can it? I would still rather be here than freezing at home.

We ( that’s the Royal We of course) caught up on the laundry as it closes at 9 am tomorrow until 10 am on 27 th January the sea day after we leave New Orleans. Irons will still be available in the launderettes. Can you imagine the laundry wars on the 27 th January and the queue.

As I predicted yesterday after the Captains announcement it has just been confirmed that the weather forecast means that unfortunately we will not be calling into Key West tomorrow and there is no where else in the area that we can go to. It was always going to be a very fast cruise to New Orleans from Key West and now it will be a little more sedate and hopefully comfortable. Of course the know it alls and would be captains on board will be filling everyone’s heads with their conspiracy theories.

We looked at the weather in this area yesterday and today and knew it was grim and ‘touch and go’ as to whether we got in or abandoned the call, New Orleans is also under the ‘Big Black low’ covering the area and although I am confident we will get in there it may be very wet and unpleasant unless this ‘low’ moves. Our Port of call in San Juan, Puerto Rico is under the same Black Cloud but after that we will finally be in the Caribbean.

The 4 th Formal night and vocal Comedy Entertainer Benjamin Moss was in the theatre and Carmens was being used tor the Black tie Ball.

We went to the Crows Nest for the Salted Caramel Espresso Martini before going to the theatre to stand at the back to listen to the show for a few minutes. If his next show is in Carmens then we will probably go to it.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all. Here is another cruise update from Sue and Garry.

Bobbing around the Gulf of Mexico.

Tuesday, 23 January 2024 - Sea day instead of Key West.

A lot of disappointed passengers who had never managed to get into Key West, and another windy cloudy sea day.

So many conspiracy theories around. It’s the wind but mainly the Gusts of wind. Accept it there is nothing anyone can do to change the wind. A Gust of wind at the wrong time as arriving or leaving port could mean a seriously damaged ship and the end of the cruise.

Today was the last day for using the laundry until the day after we leave New Orleans. Absolutely manic all day. Garry got in there early before most had got out of bed and by the time his machine had finished there were queues.

The Captain announced early morning that he was going to stop the ship for a while as we have plenty of time to get to New Orleans. The wind did lessen once we had come to a stop but the sun still hid behind the thick clouds. It gradually got warmer but the sun didn’t manage to burn off the clouds. It kept trying and occasionally won the battle for a few minutes.
It was quite pleasant just bobbing around in the Gulf of Mexico.

We had dinner in the Glass House with great company. Another excellent evening on board Aurora.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

why is the laundry shut?
Meg
x

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

To give Garry a day off? :lol:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Meg 50 wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 16:45
why is the laundry shut?
Presumably to reduce the load on the waste water purification system, since I assume they cannot discharge whilst on the Mississippi .
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Afternoon everyone.

Wednesday, 24 January 2024 - sea day to New Orleans

The clocks had gone back another hour overnight putting us 6 hours behind the UK.
Lots of passengers were up and about early and a good start to the morning with the sun making a concerted effort to see off the dark pesky clouds.
The sea is very calm and the wind from yesterday had lessened considerably.
By 10 am the sun was high and we had mainly a clear blue sky. It was the hottest day so far and I just soaked up the rays. We did get a small amount of liquid sunshine mid morning but it didn’t last long and barely wet the decks.
The decks were busy as we had only had limited sunshine for the last 3 weeks and tomorrow we are due heavy rain and thunderstorms in New Orleans.

The impressive thunder and lightening display started around 6 p.m. and was still going strong at 9 p.m.
it was very warm on deck and we took a drink outside to watch not only the storm but also the oil fields all lit up as we cruised ever closer to the mouth of the Mississippi.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

I've travelled a few hours by train and am in Cheshire this weekend at Warners for my birthday weekend.

Thursday, 25 January 2024 - 1st day in New Orleans

This is the 4th time we have visited this wonderful city but the first time that we have had thick fog. It is not cold outside and I managed to pick up the Wi-Fi signal from the Riverwalk Mall.

Having done both the cemeteries, steam boats and battlefields on previous visits, we had decided on just wandering around the city and French market area.
When we disembarked the fog had lifted and the sun was shining. We got a taxi in to town as we will have a lot of walking tonight, as we entered the market the rain started . It was biblical. Luckily the market is under cover and right next door was the market café where many of our fellow cruisers were also taking cover. There was no sign of it letting up so decided to get a taxi back to ship and spend the rest of the day in the mall.
We did go to Royal Praline shop and made a purchase but couldn’t find a taxi anywhere. We headed to a small hotel and the concierge very kindly phoned a cab for us.
We did go into the mall but we were so wet that we didn’t stay long before getting back on board ship.

We had booked an evening trip to visit three different bars with a cocktail included in each one. We were dreading it raining like it had during the day but all was dry and warm when we set off to meet the coach. We were a group of just 28.

First stop was Pat O’ Briens where we had an hour here and their famous Hurricane cocktail. These were full size cocktails and the weather was good enough to sit outside. A very lively bar with loads of atmosphere.

Next stop was Maison Bourbon where there was a set of fabulous jazz and I had a Strawberry Daiquiri and Garry found he could have a beer which dashed my hopes of me helping him with his cocktail. The jazz was excellent and I could have stayed for another set but it was time to move on to the final bar.

Lafittes Blacksmith Shop which is the oldest bar not only in New Orleans but in the USA and built circa 1722. The bar is named after the privateer Jean Lafitte. Very different from the other bars, dark and with a voodoo theme. A pianist was entertaining and I had a Voodoo Daiquiri cocktail.

Jonathan our guide did a great job keeping everyone together and leading up us back safely to the coach. There was a couple of staggerers who had either imbibed too much or too quickly but mainly we were just a happy group.

It was a fabulous evening and the rain stayed away. I would definitely book this trip again when we are next in New Orleans.

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”