Aurora R506

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Aurora R506

Post by Frank Manning »

We have just returned, and have to report a superb cruise in excellent company. Leon de St Croix is Entertainment Manager, and on top form. Food 10/10. Entertainment 10/10, ship better than ever. Happy atmosphere on board. The 'Aurora Cough' syndrome persists.

One new excursion; 'Cork and Cattle' from Gib was very interesting if a bit expensive. Walking tours of Valetta also very good.

Now starts the long period of persuading Sue to do another cruise.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Aurora R506

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Good to meet you in the flesh, Frank, if only fleetingly. I had a very pleasant chat too with Old Blue Fox on the Prom deck whilst we were waiting to get off this morning. Great to meet you both. We were home by 10:20 this morning despite the crush getting off and the wait for a taxi.

Roll on the next one :)

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Welcome back Frank and QB. I'm so glad you enjoyed the cruise and the Aurora changes. As much as I like the Aurora I do seem to always catch that cough. :(

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Welcome back Frank, QB and Foxy, I hope you will be telling us more about 'Cork and Cattle' having stopped at Gib so many times I find it boring now so anything different and interesting would be welcome.
Jo

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Oddly enough we had a great cruise too with some wonderful table companions who kept us entertained for the whole cruise. Frank and his wife were great company and we were really pleased to have met up with Quizzical Bob. I thought Aurora was better than ever and she was looking splendid. The buffet was 100 times better apart from the 'emjay wos 'ere' graffiti!!!!
We got home at 5.00 after a couple of hold ups for road works and an accident on the A34 so now the washing machine is going full tilt and the diet has already begun!! Last night the lawn was so overgrown I wasn't sure whether to mow it or silage it. I wonder if weeds and plants know when you are away.
If I manage to download the report from my iPad I'll post it on here.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Welcome back guys !!!

Leon is a bit of a charmer isn't he?

He spent a few hours sitting with us on Arcadia a few years ago, but I really think he had his eye on Mrs Barney. :sarcasm:

He told us then that he was calling it a day to look after his elderly mum, so it's good to see him back.

So glad you all had a lovely time and look forward to the reviews :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Looking forward to reading any/all reviews. Welcome back.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Leon is my absolute favourite cruise director

Glad everyone enjoyed their cruise
Gill

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

we had to go over to Southampton yesterday to meet friends for lunch Aurora was on our right hand side driving in and I must admit she looked lovely with the sun on her glad you all had a great time and its only 5 weeks before it's our turn on her can't wait

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Welcome back OBF. Told you the ship was looking good. You saw my little message in the Horizon then :oops:

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

I wish we had had Leon on our last cruise, instead we had a well past their sell by date Entertainment Manage, AGAIN. They seem to follow us around. :roll:

Topic author
Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

emjay45 wrote:
Welcome back OBF. Told you the ship was looking good. You saw my little message in the Horizon then :oops:
Yes Emjay45 - Graffiti Artist extraordinaire....Foxy has written something underneath but I'll leave it to him to say what he wrote...it made me blush. :lol:

Topic author
Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

wolfie wrote:
I wish we had had Leon on our last cruise, instead we had a well past their sell by date Entertainment Manage, AGAIN. They seem to follow us around. :roll:
Leon really was good this time. We have seen him in action many times before, but he is funnier, and seems more relaxed. Headliners were marvellous, 5 good singers, one of them should be in opera. What's more they all hit the notes spot on.

My only gripe is the P/A system. I will admit that I need the old ear trumpet these days, but we were all laughing in the Horizon on Wednesday morning, when I came back to the table and said "Did anyone understand that?" Horizon is as Foxy says a big improvement on the old Orangery, and they open up Sindhu during the day to complement Raffles. It is needed too, because it is the only place where you can have a chat with friends over a latte and a small pastry. The Crows nest must be the best venue in the fleet, and they do a good floater coffee.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Frank Manning wrote:
emjay45 wrote:
Yes Emjay45 - Graffiti Artist extraordinaire....Foxy has written something underneath but I'll leave it to him to say what he wrote...it made me blush. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I am devastated. I never mentioned anything linking you with being 'so Moneysupermarket'. Your secret was safe with me. ;) :lol:

Topic author
Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

oldbluefox wrote:
I am devastated. I never mentioned anything linking you with being 'so Moneysupermarket'. Your secret was safe with me. ;) :lol:
No, I know. But if you've got it, flaunt it I say, especially late night in the A deck laundry!

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

:wave: How nice, not a single R506 "moaner"

Aurora is a grand old lady, make no mistake about that

Lubooo all :wave:
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

gfwgfw wrote:
:wave: How nice, not a single R506 "moaner"

Aurora is a grand old lady, make no mistake about that

Lubooo all :wave:
I'm still compiling my list ;)

Topic author
Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

I am sure QB is joking. I can say with some assurance that we 4; OBF 'n me and our wives could not fault the ship or the cruise. It was just over all too quickly, and we are left thinking was it three weeks ago that we set sail? It seems like yesterday.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Frank Manning wrote:
I am sure QB is joking. I can say with some assurance that we 4; OBF 'n me and our wives could not fault the ship or the cruise. It was just over all too quickly, and we are left thinking was it three weeks ago that we set sail? It seems like yesterday.
My sister in law and her husband were on this cruise too and thoroughly enjoyed it except for the change over to the Glasshouse - they are not very adventurous with food :roll:. They used to enjoy breakfast in Cafe Bordeaux on their previous cruise on Aurora but the Glasshouse didn't open for breakfast although it was available on the world cruise - Melsea and Bill used it regularly. What did you think of this change?
Janis

Topic author
Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

I agree with your sister in law Jan. Except that I voted with my feet. I like an occasional glass of wine, one beer, or a G&T, but I dont need a wine bar tarted up as a food outlet just to squeeze a bit more revenue out of me. This is especially the case because the Alexandria, Sindhu, and Lido Grill all have very acceptable food, and there are enough alcohol outlets already. I think on the basis of what we saw on this cruise that The Glasshouse will not survive, we only ever saw one or two small groups in there at any time of the day. We found that the Horizon was fine for breakfast since it was changed and most people seemed to agree. We only ever have cereals for breakfast on the ship anyway, there is no point in us having a massive cooked breakfast just because it is there. The Medina scores over The Glasshouse at lunch time because as well as good food there is no pressure to drink, and it is light and airy.

The Glasshouse doesn't spoil the ship or the cruise, it is just a 'white elephant'. They could have put Sindhu or even another real food outlet there. Italian, or similar. We are big fans of Aurora anyway.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Well I'm sorry to disagree folks but we loved the Glasshouse. Mainly because my son was able to see what he was eating, whereas the Cafe Bordeaux was always a little too dark for him. We could only ever sit at the tables for two in the Cafe Bordeaux. My son did prefer the food in the Cafe Bordeaux but that was because he is now into healthy eating and apart from a salad their was nothing else he wanted to eat. On the World cruise it was busy at breakfast but not popular at all at lunchtime. We very often had the place to ourselves. I really don't know why people didn't like it.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Frank Manning wrote:
I agree with your sister in law Jan. Except that I voted with my feet. I like an occasional glass of wine, one beer, or a G&T, but I dont need a wine bar tarted up as a food outlet just to squeeze a bit more revenue out of me. This is especially the case because the Alexandria, Sindhu, and Lido Grill all have very acceptable food, and there are enough alcohol outlets already. I think on the basis of what we saw on this cruise that The Glasshouse will not survive, we only ever saw one or two small groups in there at any time of the day. We found that the Horizon was fine for breakfast since it was changed and most people seemed to agree. We only ever have cereals for breakfast on the ship anyway, there is no point in us having a massive cooked breakfast just because it is there. The Medina scores over The Glasshouse at lunch time because as well as good food there is no pressure to drink, and it is light and airy.

The Glasshouse doesn't spoil the ship or the cruise, it is just a 'white elephant'. They could have put Sindhu or even another real food outlet there. Italian, or similar. We are big fans of Aurora anyway.
I'm with you on this, Frank. The Glasshouse adds nothing but the removal of the Cafe Bordeaux is a great loss. Late breakfast, late lunch, evening alternative and late night drinks, all in the centre of the ship.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Jim Crow has a complaint, possible on this cruise and it relates to noisy neighbours ... and that I CAN believe :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
... but the removal of the Cafe Bordeaux is a great loss. Late breakfast, late lunch, evening alternative and late night drinks, all in the centre of the ship.
You forget to mention the idiots who constantly pass through the venue on their way to nowhere in particular.

We deffo enjoyed our breakfast and lunchtime visits but far less so during the evening periods due to the lack lustre menus. We will deffo try the Glasshouse.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”