Foxy's Aurora R506 Mediterranean Review pt3

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Foxy's Aurora R506 Mediterranean Review pt3

Post by oldbluefox »

Did I happen to mention my footie correspondent who texted me the scores? :wave:

Koper
This was an entirely new port for me and what a delightful little place it has turned out to be. There was a lift from the dockside to a small garden just a short way from Tito Square and the main shopping street.
koper.jpg
We did a bit of window browsing before making our way down to the waterfront. This was in complete contrast to the medieval town. There was plenty of seating available either on comfortable wooden seats or very imaginative stone carvings which extended along the fronts. Everywhere was spotlessly clean and tidy, no drunks, beggars, litter or graffiti. The streets were lined with lavender bushes and all was immaculate.

Dubrovnik
We had already wandered around the city and the walls so on this visit we decided to do the cable car and Cavtat excursion. There was a short coach ride to the cable car station where we joined quite a lengthy queue. Fortunately the queue moved quite quickly but nevertheless we still had a 30 minute wait before we were whisked up to the top of the mountain. Naturally there were good views of the old town of Dubrovnik and its surroundings. At the top there were several viewing platforms as well as toilets a shop and a restaurant. There were also some dune buggies for hire which looked very inviting and exciting. Unfortunately we didn't have sufficient time.
We then returned to the coach and had a very pleasant coastal ride to Cavtat. The views were beautiful especially since the sea was a lovely azure blue and the sun was shining. Everything always looks so much better when the sun is shining. Cavtat is a delightful little place with the emphasis on small.
Cavtat2.jpg
It's very pretty but definitely somewhere to be taken at a slow pace. There were several boat trips on offer and sun loungers for hire. Swimming in the sea certainly looked inviting enough as did a walk around the headland through the pine trees but alas, we would have needed a little longer. We just had an hour here, time which soon passed before we had to leave and return to the ship.
On the coach we were unfortunate enough to have a serial moaner sat behind us. Nothing was right for this one and he wasn't afraid to let everyone know whether they wanted to hear or not. The air conditioning on the coach wasn't working (in fairness it wasn't but the heat was hardly stifling), the ship wasn't right, not long enough in Cavtat, the roads were bumpy etc etc. We were treated to a running commentary of complaints all the way home. It does make you wonder why some people leave the comfort of their own homes.
In the evening it was Virtuosity again and they were equally as good the second time around. Some of their harmonies were beautiful.

Corfu
I must admit Corfu has not been my favourite port in the past but we awoke to sunshine and decided to have a walk into town rather than taking the shuttle bus. You certainly do see things in a different light on foot rather than riding. Everywhere looked rundown and uncared for, especially after places like Koper. It wasn't the most enjoyable walk I have had, passing by the more industrial parts of the town and the fishing harbour. However it only took us half an hour so it was good to stretch our legs. As well as the usual touristy offerings in town there was some lovely leatherware on offer at very reasonable prices. Fine cotton shirts and blouses were also favourably priced, too favourably as it happened as both yours truly and OH succumbed to a bargain apiece.
Corfu2.jpg
The day was made complete when OH discovered M&S Corfu and was able to go inside and pay homage whilst I joined the rest of the men sat on the steps outside.
During the afternoon the wind got stronger and stronger which meant a delay to our sailing time from 4.30 to 6.00. The wind persisted and we eventually left the dock around 9.00

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Foxy's Aurora R506 Mediterranean Review pt3

Post by emjay45 »

I'm enjoying your reports. My husband was on a tour with someone who just moaned the whole time. Another chap turned to him and said 'Can you please shut up you're spoiling my enjoyment of the excursion'. It did the trick apparently, but I'm not sure it was a wise thing to do. :shock: We did a tour to Cavtat in 2012 and it chucked it down. That would have given your moaner something to moan about. I'd love to see it in the sunshine.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I went on the excursion to Cavtat, while John went and manfully walked the walls in Dubrovnik. Cavtat is a lovely place - we had about two hours there I think. It was long enough to walk all round the quay and then buy a lovely icecream and sit in the sunshine looking at the lovely bourganvillea that seemed to be hanging down walls all round the town. Well worth a visit - have never come across M&S at any port - John doesn't know how lucky he is!

Carole

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

M&S in Malta carole, we were there during R506 looking for a sun hat, but finished up buying something for me!

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

286.JPG
M&S Malta!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meg
x

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

And there's one in Corfu as well, perish the thought!!!!

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”