Reports about cruises on Aurora

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Aurora Grand Voyage 2020

Post by GillD46 »

Kenmo1 wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 15:51
GillD46 wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 14:09
Pardon my ignorance, have I got it totally wrong or are you saying there are sail away parties that you actually have to pay for?
Gill, we have only ever been to the free sail aways (the flag waving/singing ones on the aft deck of Oriana and Aurora which some enjoy and some loathe) but I have seen fee paying parties advertised in the Horizon often for sailing from areas with stunning scenery e.g. Venice. From what I remember you pay a fee and you get cocktails and nibbles and an excellent view. We are too tight to pay for that :lol: Possibly someone who has attended one will be able to advise you better.

Maureen
Well I never, that’s a new one on me. Thanks for confirming Maureen.
Gill

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Another lovely update from Sue

Sunday, 26 January 2020 - Antigua

We arrived in Antigua early morning and the decks were wet as a squall had just passed over.

It seemed to clear but still cloudy. We got a taxi to Millers Beach close to Fort James and arrived just in time for the heavens to open.

The earlier storm must have wiped out the wi fi as the owner couldn’t get it back on. Last year we had a fabulous signal.

A few minutes later the wi fi came on and it was a great signal. There was no sign of the rain stopping and we debated whether to go back to the ship or wait it out.

I had a couple of Wadadli beers and at noon it was still pelting it down although the sky was a bit lighter. We decided to call it a day and asked the bar owner to call our taxi driver. He arrived within 5 minutes and we returned to the port.

We called at the little shop/ pharmacy and bought some cabin supplies, found a lovely dress shop we had been told about but it was closed as it is Sunday. It was still raining so we headed back to the ship and went for a late lunch in the dining room.

We spoke to other passengers who day had been ruined, the golf course was waterlogged, the catamaran and beach party with lunch was also rained off.

The rain cleared early afternoon and it was surprising how quickly the decks dried off. I got my bed on the aft deck and spent the afternoon reading. The sun tried really hard to burn off the clouds and it was still hot.

The Sailaway party was on the aft deck. It was a great atmosphere even though no where near as busy as a Orianas used to be. It started at 5 p.m. but finished before we actually sailed away. I suspect that the early sitting times prevented many from attending although some passengers did come out later ready and dressed for dinner. The passengers who like to eat early on freedom dining would have been queuing before the Sailaway party even started.

We had booked in at the Beach House for 7 p.m.and had another delicious meal under the stars.

The Tropical party was being held in the Riviera pool area. We walked through to see what was going on but there was no where to sit as the venue just isn’t big enough to put enough tables out to accommodate more than about 100 passengers. We went up to deck 13 to look down on the party but it was far too windy to be comfortable.

We ended up in our usual spot on the aft deck and once again decided to give the theatre a miss where David Shannon an Irish vocalist was performing.

Tomorrow we are in Tortola.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Update from Sue

Monday, 27, January 2020 - Tortola.

A gorgeous Caribbean morning and after being rained off the beach yesterday I decided to go to Cane Garden Bay.

Garry didn’t want to go so I set off to get onto one of the brightly coloured buses but when I got there they were looking for one more person to fill a taxi. The same price as one sided buses but the bonus was we were there within 10 minutes and as I was so early I would probably have to wait half an hour for the bus to fill.

We were the first at the beach so had our choice of sunbeds. I wondered why the attendant brought me 2 tables. One for my bag and one for my shoes. I realised why when a wave came in right under my sun bed as I had chosen a front row bed.

The sea was lovely and for the first 90 minutes it was so peaceful watching the pelicans dive for their breakfast but by 10:30 the hoards started arriving. Cane Garden Bay is so popular and if I hadn’t been on my own I would have chosen a less popular one.

I left just before midday as I knew the first bus back was at noon. I spoke the taxi dispatcher as I had arrived by taxi I didn’t have the blue armband that those who arrived by bus had. A lady taxi driver was their and said she would take me back to the port for 25 US. I very nicely refused her kind offer and said I would wait the few minutes for the 8 dollar bus ride.

The taxi dispatcher wasn’t happy with her and said she should take me for 8 dollars as she was going back to the port anyway. She finally agreed but it was a very quiet journey back.

Garry was surprised to see me so early as he hadn’t expected me till 1 p.m. he had collected me some lunch from the Grab & Go and after a quick shower we set off to see how much Tortola had changed since we were last there. The signs of the hurricane which had devastated the island a couple of years ago were long gone. New buildings and a lovely seafront boardwalk had been built.

We walked to an ice cream parlour that had been recommended called Dolce Vita. It was out of the port area and used by the locals. Very small but delicious Italian gelato. The free WiFi was an added bonus.

We spent the rest of the afternoon on deck in the sun before I had to leave it to get ready for dinner.

The evening entertainment was a comedy juggler in the theatre and The Choice playing 80’s music in Carmens. We opted once again for an evening under the stars.

Tomorrow we are St. Kitts and Azura will also be there.

Tuesday, 28 January 2020 - St Kitts

Another fabulous sunny day. Azura docked next to us.

We set off early before the crowds as Seaborne Odyssey was also arriving along with a smaller ship.

We shared a taxi van with 8 others who were going to the Carambola resort on South Friars. We were dropped off last at the very Rustic Shipwreck bar. It seemed even more rustic than the last time we were here in 2018.

The reef was excellent but I didn’t see my friendly turtle or ray but the parrot fish have certainly grown and thrived in the last two years.

There was a problem with sea weed but they recently had a storm possibly the same one that hit us in Antigua so that may well have caused it.

There was a period where no other taxis or vehicles arrived but lots of people walking up from the Carambola. There were workmen repairing the donkey track which led to the Shipwreck bar so the drivers were dropping them off at the Carambola. It’s about a 500 metre walk along the beach.

Our taxi driver didn’t arrive at the agreed time but another one stepped in and took us back to the ship.

I had a quick shower whilst Garry collected some lunch from the grab and Go and we set off back into the port area. We made some purchases but it was extremely hot and busy with no breeze. We tried in vain to get WiFi as the port was so busy.

Even though Azura was in port with us there was no Sailaway from the aft deck. The only Sailaway advertised was from the forward deck12 with Kool Blue at 4:30 p.m. but we weren’t due to sail until 5:30 p.m.

Azura left before us and we did our own Sailaway from the aft deck along with many other passengers and watched Azura set off to St Maarten where we will meet up again along with Britannia.

The evening entertainment was Helen Wilding in Carmens and the Headliners with their show Applause. Once again we decided to sit outside chatting under the stars. We love catching up with what other passengers did in the various ports.

When we returned to the cabin there was an invite to the Grand Voyage Halfway Gala Party on Thursday evening. It is being held on deck 12 in the Crystal pool and Riviera pool. We will probably attend the 19:30 one as 17:30 is far too early to attend a cocktail party.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Suekersh wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 14:30
Our taxi driver didn’t arrive at the agreed time but another one stepped in and took us back to the ship.
Early in our cruising days that happened to us once when we went to Baby Beach on Aruba as we were told the lagoon was good for people learning to snorkel. Firstly I was rubbish at that and have never tried since and secondly the lady taxi driver didn't turn up to collect us so I went into total melt-down. Luckily the owner of the cafe took pity on us and phoned up for one for us. Not one of my better experiences in the Caribbean although Aruba was one of my favourite islands along with Tortola.

Thank you Sue for the excellent review and special thanks to Lindsey for the inputting.

Maureen.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

You are very welcome Maureen.
Its lovely to read Sue's reports,especially with our wet weather here.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Nice long update from Sue

Wednesday, 29 January- St Maarten

We went to the buffet for breakfast and sat on the aft deck. Aurora was swamped by monstrous blocks of flats with Azura and Britannia immediately behind, Viking at the side and Sky Princess next to that. If there was any sun out it would be doubtful if it could find its way through to Aurora. Later in the morning Harmony of the Seas arrived with another 6000 passengers.

It was raining and came on heavier. We decided that although we needed to get off at some stage it was pointless getting off too early in the rain. Garry did the laundry and we waited it out. He continues to be impressed with the laundry facilities. A couple of machines were out of order but were repaired as soon as the laundry opened. On other ships with less facilities they often stay out of order until Southampton.

The rain stopped around 9:30 and we disembarked. There were lots of excited crew on the walkway between the ships waiting to meet their friends from the other ships. We took the water taxi a cross the bay now 7 US dollars for an all day pass.

Our first stop was our favourite jewellers, Ocean Jewellers on Front Street. We were greeted like old friends and offered drinks and wi fi which actually came on automatically from last year. Rav looked after me and after I explained that I had problems with some earrings we had bought last year he happily agreed to take them back and for me to choose some more. There were hundreds to choose from but between us I found the perfect pair. He then brought out the Tanzanite and diamond rings they were beautiful and although I looked at around 50 rings I went back to the first one I had zoned in on. Garry did the deal with Rav and I sat back with a local St Maarten beer and left them to it and caught up with the wi fi.

By the time we left the jewellers St Maarten was rammed with people from the ships. It was hot, humid and very very busy. We bought some duty free to take home and returned to the port area. This was also very busy and after a quick look round we returned to the sanctuary of Aurora.

It was so peaceful although quite a few passengers hadn’t ventured off. I got a bed on the aft deck and stayed there. The sun had risen higher and even Azura couldn’t block it out.

There was a mix up in the Horizon regarding the Sailaway party. Inside the Horizon it advertised a Sailaway Party with the group Choice on the aft Terrace Pool at 16:30. Brilliant - but on turning to the back page the Sailaway was advertised as being at the forward pool at 16:30 with Choice. Perhaps they were edging their bets and it depended which way round we docked. By 15:30 the tech department had started setting up the equipment on the Aft deck and the question was answered.

It was a brilliant Sailaway and well attended all the way up the decks. Deck 8 where the group were playing wasn’t as full as usual with passengers preferring the shade on the upper tiers. Choice played for about 40 minutes then took a break and the ents team took over. Neil Oliver must have trained them as I remembered all the dance moves from our Azura cruises before I retired. They were fabulous and the Aft balconies on Azura and side on Britannia looked on in amazement.

Gradually the early sitting passengers had to leave, such a shame and surely for one night the time could have been changed to 6:30 to give everyone a chance to enjoy this now very rare event. We had hoped that there would be a Sailaway so had booked a later dining slot in the Beach House. We are using the select dining venues much more than usual on this cruise because of the ridiculous dining time.

Unfortunately we are stuck with it and although there is no way we are letting it spoil our cruise it is certainly having a detrimental effect on our cruise experience. I just hope they don’t repeat the experiment next year as I haven’t spoken to any first sitting diners that prefer it. I have spoken to freedom diners who either don’t care as it doesn’t affect them and some who don’t like it because the show time is now half an hour earlier, which means if they want to do the early show they need to join the long queue to dine which starts before 5p.m.

Tomorrow we have a leisurely sea day before reaching Grand Turk.

Jonty S1
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Jonty S1 »

Thank you Sue Kersh for all the effort and time you dedicate to updating the forum with your experiences. We love reading about your adventures. Sadly you often reinforce our impressions that cruising with P&O is not what it was.
We have not cruised since 2014, sure that coincides with moving to Cornwall, but if the product appealed we would still give it a chance.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I think the 1st sitting on Cunard is 6pm,and on Princess I think its 5.30pm.
That is ridiculously early.
Its probably what the Americans prefer.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Whynd1 wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 19:05
I think the 1st sitting on Cunard is 6pm,and on Princess I think its 5.30pm.
That is ridiculously early.
Its probably what the Americans prefer.
I think I read on Facebook that these early mealtimes tend to happen on the longer cruises but I can't remember what the reasoning was behind it. No doubt PO will trot out the usual ' it's because of passenger feedback '. On Oriana and Aurora some of the elderly ladies used to be queuing outside the restaurants about 5.30 pm, if not earlier.

Maureen

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Update from Sue

Thursday, 30 January 2020 - Sea day to Grand Turk.

Another beautiful sea day and I got my spot on the aft early morning.

The deck gradually filled up but it never seems overcrowded on there.

There was lots going on around the ship including a Fashion show and Aurora vocalists performance in the Curzon.

I had another very lazy day reading but no butler service today as it was the deck bbq again which meant no grab & go.

I stayed until just after 3 p.m. when the build a ship on a ship competition started.

We ate in the dining room and then attended the Halfway cocktail party held on deck 12 by the two pools. It was a great party and the drink just kept coming. I had to keep my hand over my glass to stop it being filled up.

We had missed the entertainment in the theatre which was a tribute to UB40 called Rats in the Kitchen. Even though we haven’t attended much if any of the entertainment since we got into the Caribbean we have been very impressed with the number of new and different acts that have been on. Some just for one night only which is unusual.

We spent the rest of the evening chatting under the stars and as we had taken the internet package researching some of the upcoming ports of call.

When we returned to the cabin there was a ‘how are we doing’ questionnaire and a form asking for meal preference for our evening trip in New Orleans.

We discussed the How are we doing form and overall everything has been excellent except for the dining times.

Tomorrow we are in Grand Turk.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Latest update from Sue

Friday 31 st January- Grand Turk and Brexit Day

I had an early snorkel trip booked so had breakfast sat outside watching the sail into beautiful Grand Turk. The sea was like a mirror and a perfect morning for a good snorkel trip. There was a man in the buffet dressed in Union Jack shorts, shirt and dickie bow. He looked fabulous and I hadn’t even got a Union Jack flag to wave.

The trip was fabulous. A beautiful Catamaran and the tour operator was Chukka. There were only 25 of us so loads of room to move around. With 6 friendly crew we were well looked after. The safety briefing was the most informative I have heard as was the snorkel equipment information and directions on how to wear it.

The water was crystal clear and although the different species of fish wasn’t great the quantity certainly was. We saw barracudas, Parrot fish, Blow fish and the usual sergeant majors and other smaller coloured tropical fish. I swam along the outside of the reef looking for turtles and octopus but they were in hiding today and didn’t want to play.

Once we were back on the Cat we headed for the most beautiful beach. The rum punch was flowing freely and the crew were going round replenishing the drinks.

The beach was amazing. Soft white sand completely deserted, turquoise clear water and the ‘rum man’ with his jug of punch. It was absolute paradise. No one wanted to leave. A man I have met on board had walked from the ship and stopped to chat. Even though he wasn’t part of the trip he was given a rum punch. This was certainly the best trip of the cruise.

Garry was waiting for me as we arrived back at the port. He took my fins and wet towel and gave me a clean one, brought my picnic lunch and left me to laze on the beach. There was snorkelling off the beach but nothing like what I had experienced on the reef. I love Grand Turk and wish it was on every Caribbean cruise we do.

I actually think that P & O are listening as there was another party Sailaway party from the Aft deck. Some passengers had on Union Jack clothing and many were waving flags. We partied in the pennant bar where the lady who had been an activist had got the official countdown clock from the Brexit party. The security officer joined us in case of any problems but joined in chatting to passengers. Everything was very good natured and no issues at all . As it got closer to the actual hour which was 6 p.m. our time and 11 p.m UK time the excitement rose and the minutes left were bellowed across the decks. At 6 p.m. the ships horn was sounded and a huge cheer went around all the aft decks. Rule Britannia was sung along with other patriotic songs.

The decks then soon cleared as passenger went to the early dinner. We watched the magnificent sun set and one lady commented ‘ the sun setting on Brexit’. We stayed partying as we didn’t want to miss the excitement of this historical day.

We ate later in the Glass House and once again missed the entertainment on offer. Another amazing day in the Caribbean.

Saturday, 1 February 2020. Sea day to Jamaica.

Another hot sunny morning which I spent on a lounger by the aft pool. There was an interruption at 10 a.m. as we all went to muster. We have been on board for 28 days and this is compulsory. Obviously many pax were not happy at being dragged away from the outside areas on such a beautiful day but It didn’t take very long and the Captains speech over the speaker system was brief and to the point. At the end we were told to wait so that Carmens could be cleared by areas but a member of the jewellery team got hold of the mike and started telling everyone about the jewellery auction. Totally out of order and the passengers certainly let him know and got up and walked out. It wasn’t the time or place for a sales pitch.

I spent the rest of the day by the pool. It was very hot and sunny just the way I like it.

We didn’t bother with the entertainment which was the UB40 tribute act again and the Headliners New Romantics show which we have seen before.

Tomorrow we are in Ocho Rios - Jamaica.

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

Hi Sue, I have been following this from afar and have enjoyed hearing about your cruise Jack
The pesky scarfaced pirate

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Latest from Sue

Sunday, 2 February 2020 - Ocho Rios

This isn’t one of my favourite ports of call. We have been here a few times and I have climbed the Dunnes River Falls twice as well as doing an island tour.

Last time we came we stayed in the newly built port area and it had a few interesting local shops, coffee house and rum tasting as well as a small beach. We decided to do the same again. The hassle the taxi drivers gave us was almost as bad as in St Vincents.

The lovely local coffee house had been taken over by a Starbucks. Okay for free wi fi but we wanted Blue mountain coffee.

Most of the shops were closed as it was Sunday and the small beach is now payable they wanted 10 dollars each to get in then a further 15 dollars for the beds and a brolly. There was a free beach further around the bay but I decided the pool on the ship away from the continuous hassle would be preferable.

We managed to buy the Blue Mountain coffee in the port building and got some free wi fi as well before we got back on the ship.

After a fishy lunch I had a couple of hours by the pool.

The aft pool closed at 3 p.m. to give the crew chance to set it up ready for the Ligurian tier cocktail party. The rest of the aft decks were available to use but not the pool area.

The cocktail party was lovely. The headliners sang and the drinks flowed.

We were looked down on by the upper decks so they got to share the atmosphere as well. We stayed on chatting and drinking before going to dinner in the Glass House.

Tomorrow we are in Grand Cayman.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

More from our traveller

Monday, 3 February 2020 - Grand Cayman

The Captain came over the speaker system whilst I was in breakfast to inform passengers that unfortunately due to weather conditions we couldn’t anchor off St George’s and had moved around the island to Anchor elsewhere. ( I can’t remember what the place was called but something like Scott’s Bank). looking out from the ship there certainly wasn’t much there. The Captain didn’t know what we would find there. There may or may not be taxis but the tenders would be running as would the majority of the ships tours.

I was very disappointed that my snorkel trip was one that was cancelled, probably for safety reasons because of the wind and sea conditions.

We have called at Grand Cayman three times and only once has it been successful.

We debated on whether or not to get off but in the end decided on a ship day. Some passengers did get off and our peace was shattered regularly by Hughies voice booming over the speaker system calling passengers to the tenders. Thankfully before midday the announcement came that there was no need to collect tickets and anyone now wanting to go ashore could go straight down to the tenders which were two tiered boats from the island rather than ships tenders.

Various reports from passengers. Some got off and came straight back saying there was nothing there, others had got taxis into St George’s and some had gone to the local beach close to the ship which apparently had excellent snorkelling. I do feel our tours team could have been more pro active in getting information from the port agent about the area Aurora was tendering into.

Disney Magic had also been sent to the same place and although it was short notice had managed to secure shuttle buses to get their passengers into St Georges.

I had another lazy day in the sun on the aft deck.

Tomorrow we have a sea day before reaching Cozumel the final port in the Caribbean Sea.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Grand Cayman was our very first port, on our very first cruise, back in 1997. It’s somewhere we enjoy revisiting, but it's never been quite the same since the devastation Ivan caused in 2004.
Gill

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Latest update from Sue

Tuesday, 4 February 2020 - Sea day to Cozumel

Another hot and mainly sunny day with the cloud coming over occasionally to give us a break from the searing temperatures.

It tried to rain at noon but hardy anything at all.

Another very lazy sea day doing nothing but reading drinking and eating.

Lots of comments around the ship about the fiasco of yesterday and how it had been handled.

The good news is that Chris Walker has got back on board and is doing his presentations on Jazz. Today it was about Louis Armstrong.

I did leave my sunbed to book a kayak & snorkel trip for Cozumel to replace yesterday’s cancelled snorkel trip in Grand Cayman. This will be my last chance to snorkel this cruise so I am hoping for a good one.

Garry didn’t want to eat dinner so instead of sitting in the dining room like Billy no mates I went to the Indian buffet. The first time in recent cruises I had eaten at night in the buffet and I won’t be repeating it. It certainly wasn’t an Indian buffet like I remember it. The flies were enjoying though.

The evening entertainment was Jayne Middleton as Annie Lennox or Big Band Sounds with the Aurora Orchestra.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Update from Sue

Wednesday 5 February 2020 - Cozumel

Our final Caribbean port of this cruise. Omg! Sunny, noisy boisterous, 9 ships in dock and no idea why P & O bring us here except it is a Carnival dock.

There are three docks here. One in the town, the International dock about 3 miles from town and Puerta Maya dock next to that which is where Aurora was berthed. It is a totally plastic Americanised dock.

There were no shuttles to get into town but plenty of taxis around.

I had booked a kayak and snorkel trip which although not a complete disaster was not the greatest trip.

Our tour guide was Angel and he was pretty much useless. He kept saying it wasn’t his first time but somehow he hadn’t learnt from his past experiences. He kept calling us his Angel familier to keep us together like school children . There were 16 of us split into two minibuses going out.

We were met by a second tour guide but then had to wait whilst Angel arrived ten minutes later. Waiting around was the biggest part of this trip.

We then found that we were being joined on the trip by a family of 5 from another ship that had never snorkelled before.

The kayaking part was great but that lasted about half an hour of the 3 hour trip. The snorkelling which wasn’t great was another half hour and we had 45 minutes at the end to have a drink and some fruit. The rest of the time we were hanging around waiting for either Angel, or others to get equipment or Angel enjoying the sound of his own voice.

Another trip not to be repeated. Why can’t all the trips be like Grand Turk.

Garry had been waiting for me at our prearranged spot and after buying some cabin supplies we found a bar by the water front and had a couple of drinks before returning to the ship.

I went to watch the local folkloric group in the Curzon before Sailaway. They were very good but went on half an hour longer than expected. I had a quick dash back to the cabin and got ready for dinner in record time.

The evening entertainment was Jon Clegg impressionist and comedian in the theatre and The Choice singing songs from the Movies in Carmens.

We sat on the aft deck under the stars chatting and drinking. This may well be the last night it will be warm enough to do this.

Tomorrow we are in Progreso another Mexican Port.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

A further update found in my inbox this morning.

Thursday, 6 February 2020 - Progreso

Another hot sunny day with temperatures forecast to reach over 30 degrees.

Progreso has a pier which is 6 kilometres long from the cruise port into the town. It is so long because of the depth of water required for the cruise ships and the large container ships. It is situated on the Gulf of Mexico in the Mexican state of Yucatan. Such a huge difference to the noisy plastic port of Cozumel. We walked through the port area which had the usual touristy shops as well as jewellers. Silver is a good buy here.

We got off early as when we last visited 4 years ago the shuttle service along the pier into town was very limited. The shuttles had been much improved with large comfy coaches rather than the bone shakers we travelled in previously. We found this wasn’t the only improvement and much of the town has been renovated and these are still ongoing. It is still ‘rustic’ and very Mexican but now clean with many traffic free areas. The Malecón (promenade) and beach was pedestrianised and very clean, lined with restaurants, bars and cafes. The girls were still there offering their massages and we found the hotel and bar we drank out last time.

They serve the biggest Margaritas ever. We met others from Aurora who told us a Carnival ship had arrived and the town would soon be very busy as the American passengers arrive. I really like this new improved Progreso which has kept its Mexican charm.

We found the local Hypermarket and stocked up on cabin supplies at ridiculously cheap prices. There was a small wait for the shuttle back but it all seemed well organised. When we returned to the port the queue for the shuttle was snaking around the port and as they are only every 20 minutes the taxis were doing good business.

We dropped our shopping at the cabin, had a quick light lunch then went back into the port area. The Carnival ship was the Dream but it looked very unkempt and more like a Nightmare.

The port area was extremely busy and we didn’t stay out very long. I did buy a silver chain but as we had done our shopping in town we just mooched around.

Back on ship I went on the aft deck till it was time to get ready for dinner.

The entertainment was Jayne Middleton as Annie Lennox in Carmens and musician Paul Fisher in the Curzon. We stood at the back of Carmens to listen for a while but then left to sit out on the aft. We didn’t last long there as it was blowing a hoolie across the Gulf of Mexico. Hopefully it will have calmed down tomorrow for our sea day to New Orleans.

Silkworm
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Silkworm »

Hi Sue

Really enjoying your input here, look forward each day to reading it.

We are in New Orleans very shortly on Ventura, would be pleased for
any tips as we have not been here before.

Terri

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Silkworm wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 09:51
We are in New Orleans very shortly on Ventura
That makes two of us!!

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Update from Sue

Friday, 7 February 2020, Sea day to New Orleans

It had been a very rock and roll night and the Gulf of Mexico felt like the Bay of Biscay on a bad crossing.

The morning brightened up and the sun came out but it certainly wasn’t Caribbean hot. Lots of passengers sunbathing on the lower decks but more trying to keep sheltered from the wind.

I went back to the Battle of the sexes where the ladies were slightly in the lead and we increased it.

I met Garry for lunch then we returned to the cabin as it was time once again to attend to my hair.

Our 1 st formal night of this sector and we noticed that there will be six instead of five as they have added another one on. I thought it was because of Valentines night however that is not going to be formal. I don’t think we have been on ship where Valentines hasn’t been a formal night.

After dinner we went to the Crows Nest for the gin flight. It was virtually empty as most passengers seem to prefer Andersons which is always very busy.

We got a comfy windows seat and could see the lights of the huge oil wells dotted around the Gulf of Mexico. We were due to enter the Mississippi around 9 p.m. but it was too dark to see anything.

We went into Carmens to see Jon Clegg. It started well with a song

about Aurora and quite funny. Comedians aren’t our thing and I think any comedian on this ship is going to have an uphill struggle after Terri Cotta. We had sat at the back so after 15 minutes we made our exit.

Paul Emmanuel was in the theatre singing the music by Nat King Cole.

Tomorrow we dock in New Orleans and have the American immigration process to go through.

Sent from my iPad

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

New Orleans, how lovely. We went there on our very first cruise some 23 years ago.
Gill

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

The New Orleams report from Sue which I know some of us have been really looking forward to.

Hi all, It’s a long one.

Saturday, 8 February 2020 - New Orleans overnight.

We had an early start as tickets for the immigration process could be collected at Masquerades from 6:30 am. We went down about 6:15 and there was already a queue. Some had probably slept there all night.

We had ticket numbers 81 and 82 and were in the second batch to be immigrated. We were back on board for 7 a.m. a very smooth well organised immigration thanks to the extremely efficient senior admin team on board Aurora.

We were docked at the Erata berth next to the Julia street berth but Aurora will be moving to the Julia street berth overnight.

After breakfast we decided to get a cab into the French quarter to save the long walk. Our taxi driver informed us that there would be a Mardi Gras Parade in the evening. We wondered how it would affect our Dixieland Jazz trip but as it’s a P & O trip we thought they would have it all arranged. (Or would they?)

We started at the160 year old French Market which had been beautifully restored, hundreds of stalls selling everything from drink, food, Mardi Gras masks, clothes, jewellery and many different souvenirs .

We wandered around and then into the French Quarter where the queue to get into the café de Monde for their famous beignets snaked around. We stopped at the famous candy store and sampled the pralines. Our next stop was Jackson Square in the heart of the French Quarter named after General Andrew Jackson . St Louis Cathedral, one of the oldest catholic cathedrals is situated in the landscaped gardens. A lovely peaceful place with some street performers in the midst of this insanely busy city.

We walked back to the ship along the River Walk passing the Natchez dock and the Aquarium then the Creole Queen dock as we walked through the huge outlet shopping centre.

We had walked a long way and spent the afternoon resting as we had an evening trip booked to Palm Court Cafe for a night of authentic Jazz and creole food.

The coaches set off early at around 6:40 p.m. and our very informative tour guide Wolfe pointed out the Canal street in the American area, so called as it was intended to be a canal from the river to the city park. He gave us a lot of info about New Orleans.

It was all going well until Wolfe spotted a Blue flashing light in the distance. The police had closed the road to the French District for the Mardi Gras parade. He tried to persuade them to let us through as the parade wasn’t due for another 30 minutes but to no avail.

The traffic was nose to tail as cars tried to find a way round. Somehow our coach managed to do a 3 point turn with Wolfe stood in the middle blocking the traffic. It was Insane with cars tooting and pedestrians taking advantage of the stopped traffic as the coach blocked the road.

He took another route and we saw areas of New Orleans that we hadn’t seen before including the Hard Rock Cafe building which collapsed a few years ago and they still can’t decide how to deal with it. The Louis Armstrong Arch was lit up and looked amazing at night.

I have no idea where we ended up but were told all out and follow the line. It was about 7 blocks to Palm Court café and many passengers on board with walking difficulties. We had not gone far when we were brought to a halt by the parade. We had to wait until it went past before we could continue our trek.

The parade was hilarious. It was called the Krewe de Vieux and the theme was a play on the 2020 Election and called The 2020 Erection. All of the floats were very phallic , Mostly very funny, certainly very noisy with jazz bands playing in the parade. The floats were throwing souvenirs out and a cup hit Garry on the head and bounced onto mine. I claimed it.

If it hadn’t been for the bad planning and timing of the tour company we wouldn’t have seen this fabulous event. It took about half an hour to pass before we could continue our Frog March to the venue. Overall the 10 minute journey had taken 70 minutes.

It was a long way and many passengers were complaining bitterly as we had expected a coach journey directly to the venue. My biggest issue was that I had worn high heels which certainly weren’t suitable for trekking the uneven streets of the French quarter but seeing the parade live, up close was so worth the pain.

At the venue the jazz was already playing. We joined another couple and ordered drinks. The food service was slow but it didn’t matter as the Jazz was excellent. We started with a bowl of Gumbo, followed by salad leaves then a choice of beef bourginon or Shrimp creole. I had the shrimp which was very spicy but so good and Garry enjoyed his beef. The desert was Pecan Pie or bread pudding again exceptionally tasty. We finished the meal with coffee. The jazz band played throughout the night taking very short breaks. Chris Walker who is one of the speakers on board joined the group to play a few numbers.

The night went so quickly and the final number was When the Saints came Marching In. The owner is an amazing eccentric elderly lady from Yorkshire. She is the life and soul of the party and gets guests up dancing.

Thank fully we only had a short walk back to the coach as Joey our driver had got very close. Wolfe entertained us on the way back to the ship pointing out the famous Louisiana Superdome amongst other attractions and left souvenirs he had picked up from the Parade on the front seat for passengers to collect on their way off.

It was a remarkable, zany, fabulous night. We saw the Nightlife of New Orleans in all its Glory and I wouldn’t have missed it for anything.

Sunday, 9 February 2020 - 2 nd day in New Orleans

Another early start but not as early as yesterday. I went into the dining room for breakfast as it was smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.

We met our tour group and were taken 500 yds in a coach to where the Creole Queen was docked. Our tour had a private room on the paddle steamer but we could go anywhere on the boat. It was sunny on deck but as soon as we set off I could feel the cool wind.

Our tour included unlimited soft drinks and coffee plus a mimosa.

There was a running commentary with so many details about the Mississippi that I can’t remember them. It is 2,300 miles long, 2200 feet wide and 200 feet deep.

We travelled 5 miles down the river to the Chalmette Battlefield where we disembarked and walked past the cemetery to the visitor centre. We really didn’t have long enough there to take everything in as we had to be back on board within 45 minutes and it took us 10 minutes to get off, and another 10 minutes to walk down. It was very interesting but didn’t look anything like I had expected. There were some old cannons and big guns in the grounds.

Back on the Creole Queen the delicious Creole buffet lunch was ready. We tucked into the Gumbo, Jambalaya , shrimps and bread pudding to finish.

There was another commentary on the way back. A great way to see New Orleans from the river.

We left the tour to make our own way back through the outlet mall but although a Guess winter coat which was reduced from 268 US to 49 US caught my eye the queue was so long to pay and only one cashier that my patience ran out and I left it. I obviously didn’t need it enough.

There was a scenic Sailaway on deck 13 but we had decided not to book it as I wasn’t convinced it would be warm enough up there to enjoy it.

We sat on deck 11 aft for the Sailaway and Chris Walker who was advertised to be playing on deck 12 for Sailaway played on the aft deck.

It was a great but chilly Sailaway from New Orleans with fabulous views and jazz.

We had decided not to rush for the 6 p.m, dining time and instead went to eat in the a Glass House. It wasn’t very busy but the air con was on far too high which made it uncomfortable I tried out numerous tables before settling on one that was bearable. Everyone who came in mentioned how cool it was in there.

The evening entertainment was Wild Sax in the theatre and the Headliners Queen show in Carmens.

When we returned to the cabin our invites to the Ligurian event at the Biltmore Hotel in Miami had arrived. P & O have sensibly limited the amount of alcoholic drinks included. After witnessing embarrassing behaviour at these events through too much free alcohol this should solve that problem. Drinks will still be available but will be payable after the included ones.

We now have two sea days to get over New Orleans before we reach Miami.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

What a busy couple of days.....
Gill

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I’ve been looking forward to Sue’s New Orleans report - so many memories of my visit there brought back to life by her - definitely one of my favourite cruises. Thanks Sue :thumbup:
Janis

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”