Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Azura A608 - Eastern Mediterranean, April 2016

Post by sunseeker16 »

Friday 8th April 2016 Southampton 13C

There were no problems with weather or transport or travel and we set off just after 1pm for our (horrible) 3.30 embarkation time. Even stopping off at the kennels to drop the dog for her holiday only made our journey 75 minutes but we still couldn't cope with planning to arrive after 3pm for a 4.30 sailaway. One has to allow for problems - or if you are pathologically early people like Mr SS and I, then you definately need some 'wriggle room' to feel comfortable. So, we arrived, unloaded luggage, handed the car to CPS and were in Mayflower terminal at about 2.25. It was crowded, but there were (plenty of) seats at the far end. We were Green S and they were calling Green H. They went through the green alphabet but occasionaly popped in a Grey - what's that about? Is that for people who arrive later than their suggested embarkation; or coaches; or Caribbean pax? No matter - we were called about 3.20, by which time the terminal was becoming quieter, as more passengesr embarked than entered the terminal. Check in was efficient as ever and we were onboard within 5 minutes of being called - just before our given time. I suppose there is some merit to the new system but it's not immediately apparent. I was a bit disappointed that the luggage was not waiting in/outside our cabin - it had an hour to get there before we did. I had planned to unpack between embarkation and muster but as that was not possible we went for a mooch around and saw Ventura as we walked round the upper decks.

There was a flurry of interest either just before or just after muster when the Bing-Bong sounded and the announcement came "Burble burble" I can't actually remember - but it wasn't clear. Then radio silence, as we wondered what was happening, then Bing-Bong "Man Overboard, Man Overboard" Bloody hell, we thought, this is for real. Surely not a passenger, as we were on the land bridge rather than a gangway, perhaps a crew member? Then a further announcement from the Cap'n, telling us that someone had fallen from their yacht, North of Azura's berth, and the swift rescue vessel was to be despatched to assist the authorities with rescue. Lucky us - we were on the port side, so had the view of the water and were able to watch the despatch, together with the harbourmaster's launch and a helicopter. A very exciting start to the cruise. All turned out well, the couple - for it seemed they were both in the water - were rescued and 'handed over to the local authorities', as it rather mysteriously says in the Cruise Log, and we cast off at 5.17, with ominous warnings of 'interesting times' in the Bay of Biscay. Bleugh!

I had booked for Sindhu, having several times experienced difficulty with Freedom dining on the first night on Azura - crush and chaos at the Maitre'D's station as folk put all journey horrors behind them and dine early before seeing a show or whatever and have an early night before starting their cruise with a vengeance next day. Sindhu was fairly quiet but everything was excellent. Scallops starter and cod main course for me; Mr SS had the Atul signature plate for his main - a taste of 3 lovely dishes and certainly a good plateful! A long, relaxed meal meant we didn't make the early show for Headliners or Jason Isaacs (anyone listen to Radio 5, 2-4pm on a Friday?) and didn't fancy the late shows, so we relaxed in the Blue Bar with Frankie Gliksman tinkling the ivories. Ah, we must be on Azura - here's Frankie :)

Saturday 9th April 2016 - At Sea 11C

Just as predicted, the sea condition worsened. The air temperature was OK, there was no rain during the day but a Westerly Force 7 arrived and the ship started to roll. The captain (the rather lovely Robert Camby) put his toe down in expectation of outrunning the storm.

We went for restaurant breakfast and were seated on a table for 4 with a lovely lovely couple who had celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary several years before. They both tucked into their monster 'fat boys breakfast' (Mr SS's expression, describing a full English) making me feel a bit frugal with my porridge and banana. So, if we follow their example we've got another 20 years cruising to look forward to! We were so late (arriving just before the 9.30 shut-out) that I missed the first of the port talks, covering Palma but I went to the first talk by Diane Janes, a crime writer, at 11. So, I missed the A608 get-together in the Planet Bar. I did mull over going there instead of the talk but the talk won. I really enjoy this aspect of cruises - just me (and the other folk who go) I guess.

1pm saw me in Malabar watching the film Selma, whilst Mr SS went to the gym. It was excellent - a film I had wanted to catch at the cinema but never did. Malabar is not the best place for cinema though - in fact there is nowhere on Azura, other than the Playouse which is seldom available, suitable for screening films. Being Saturday it was sport day and I spent the afternoon keeping abreast of the footie, as the rocking and rolling continued to build.

The first formal evening. Mr SS and I kept to our pre-cruise resolution to try to stick to fish main courses, to reduce the food overload we both tend to feel. The Playhouse act was due to be The Opera Boys but apparently one had failed to join Azura a Southampton (!), so Jeff Stevenson stood in/changed his slot. He was very good, very topical and coped well as he did the Azura dos-si-dos to stay upright on stage as the roll built up. There was a 'magician, Philip Hitchcock in Manhatten but I am a big magic-sceptic, so we didn't try to go to his show. Took a Stugeron, though didn't feel unwell at all, and hoped for better things tomorrow, whilst fearing worse.

Sunday 10th April - at Sea 14C

Azura's 6th Birthday!

It was a noisy night. Force 10 with Force 12 gusts apparently. As the Cruise Log says " As the day continued, the sea conditions deteriorated as the swell built to approximately 5-6metres" Even Mr SS took a Stugeron!

I went to the second of Diane Janes lectures and then Mr SS and I both watched Grandma, with Lily Tomlin. He was a bit apprehensive about the title but I knew it was more edgy than the title might suggest and we both enjoyed it. There were bumps and crashes and the Captain kept up the speed, thrashing all engines in succeeding to outrun the worst of the storm. "In the late afternoon and early evening an appreciable change in weather was felt. The winds eased and seas began to calm as the ship turned the corner of the Cape St Vincent Traffic Separation Scheme and headed tpwards the Straits of Gibraltar"

We had a very pleasant lunch in The Glasshouse,

Evening entertainment was Groove Salon in Malabar followed by Dean Richardson as Freddie Mercury in Manhatten. I think I prefer Steve Larkin but we still enjoyed this show - what's not to like about Queen? We enjoyed Groove Salon too, though I heard grumbles from some other passengers - mostly about lack of variety in their material.

Monday 11th April, at Sea 19C

Oh, so much better. Calmer, quieter and warmer. I went to Diane Janes, talking about the start of criminal forensics and Mr SS went to the gym... Bridge of Spies was showing in Manhatten at 12.30. I knew I wanted to see this, although the day was improving and there was the possibility of sun. Eventually Mr SS decided to join me and we both really enjoyed this fabulous Spielberg film.. Tom Hanks, as ever, played a blinder. So, we emerged from the dark of the 'cinema' to ... bright sunshine and warmth. Hoorah. Off to Breakers Bar for a lemonade in the sun. Lovely!

Black tie again tonight, followed by Jason Isaacs in Manhatten. Palma tomorrow ... it will feel like the start of our holiday, as we disembark in Mediterranean sunshine, we hope

Tuesday 12 April Palma Mallorca 21C

Lazy breakfast in the cabin/on the balcony as we docked and the first passengers disembarked at about 9.30. Two ambulances arrived as we docked and people were wheeled into them. Oh dear. We tended to have a room service breakfast most mornings - it helps keep the food intake down! Also we often used something new to us, which was the Grab and Go from deck 15. It was supposed to offer hot breakfast items in the morning, but we never saw that operational, but the llight lunch choices, of filled rolls, prepared salad and fruit/yoghurt/mousse often fitted the bill on sea days. Seems like a good idea to me and a nice alternative to the heavier burger/pizza offer.

We meandered off about 10.30 and shunned the shuttle bus in favour of a stroll into town. That may have been a slight error, as town was much further than we anticipated, so perhaps 'busin/walk back' regime would have been a good alternative. Anyway, it mattered not a jot as we strolled for about an hour, practically all of that time on the marina edge, just enjoying the sunshine and goggling at the yachts, in various sizes from huuuge to bloody-hell-look-at-that. We only came across one refreshment stop on the seaward side of the road, the originally named Beachhouse, so we stopped for a break and a refreshing beer/fresh orange juice and to reconsider our strategy! It was simple enough - cross the road and find somewhere for a tapas-style lunch in a little while. It's a busy road but there are trustworthy traffic light controlled crossing points at reasonable intervals, which allowed us to go over and see what was on offer. Not a lot, to be honest; it would appear that the majority of cruise passengers head straight for the centre and thus there's not much call for tourist-type eateries. We spurned a nice-looking place set back a bit from the road but only because it was still quite early and we would have been the only ones in (I don't like that) but then retraced our steps and found just what we were looking for next to the concert hall in a tiny courtyard sort of thing. There was a nice looking pizza place there too, but we were in Spain and wanted Spanish. It was a good choice, beer and wine and mixed tapas - calamari, cheese balls, potatoes and spicy sauce and padron peppers - all for not very much and in a busy, friendly atmosphere, with the opportunity to people watch as well.

All on board was 4.30 and we were there in good time. Just before we were due to sail another ambulance, with blues and twos, arrived on the dockside and we saw the sad sight of luggage being trundled down the gangway, followed by him on a trolley and her walking with. It must be an awful thing; a terrible way to end your holiday but I guess if they get the medical attention they need and live to cruise another day then it's the best thing.

Entertainment was The Opera Boys in The Playhouse (the missing one having turned up! I wonder what that does to their contract/payment/future bookings? Seems a crazy thing not to make it to Southampton) and Totally Tina in Manhatten. We didn't see either but I don't recall what we did - maybe Planet Bar and Frankie again.

Wednesday 13 April At sea 21C

I went to the port talk on Katakolon and Mr SS went to the gym. The speaker, Crystal, is awful with a boring,unexpressive delivery and an awful (to my ears) South African accent. It took me a while to translate twers to tours and twerists to tourists, not to mention bulldings, where the first part of the word rhymes with the Isle of Mull ... Perhaps I'm too picky but I enjoyed the talks even less than I normally do and there seemed very little information for potential independent travellers, just pushing the ship's excursions.

After that it was just a really lazy sea day, enjoying the sun, both on deck and on the balcony. I guess because of the age demographic on this cruise there was no clamour for deck space and there were always plenty of sunbeds, with never a towel spotted bagging them, and tables at one of the deck bars.

This was the night we ate at Epicurean. It was just not quite warm enough to eat outside, which was a shame, and given my time over I would have rescheduled this for when we were in very warm Greek waters. Other than that the experience was lovely, with super service, great food and a nice atmosphere (I am still sore about our very first visit to the then 17, where the experience was marred by a shrieking table of officers and guests) I had the asparagus/egg starter, quite like Marco's gala MDR starter, Mr SS had the carved ham, so that was a bit of table theatre, which continued into the next course, where the waiter performed surgery on my whole Dover sole before handing me a perfectly reassembled fish without a hint of skin or bone. Mr SS enjoyed a perfect steak, perfectly cooked as he likes it. We shared a pudding and cheese, so had the extensive cheese plate first and then had the last bit of table theatre, where ordering creme brulee resulted in the appearance of a full-on blow-torch! It was a totally excellent experience and well worth the supplement

Thursday 14 April At sea/Messina Straights - 23C

Another lovely, lazy day but with the promise of some interesting sights as we went through the Straights of Messina, scheduled for around midday. We took a little morning sun, before it became too fierce for sunbathing and were anticipating the arrival of the Messina pilot who was required to be onboard for the transit when Bing Bong, followed by the Captain's voice ... hmm, summat was obviously 'up'. Captain Camby informed us that a passenger was ill and that the doctor had advised transfer to on-shore facilities would be the best course of action. We would therefore dock briefly at Messina, to allow the transfer to take place. So, apart from feeling for the passenger involved, we thought this would be a bit of a bonus, giving us the opportunity to see a bit of Sicily. We docked just before noon (11am shore time -the town clock chimed as we were there) and the ambulance, plus back up ambulance, pulled into the dock very efficiently. The passenger was offloaded quite swiftly and her (I assume ... obviously didn't actually see ) poor, devastated husband (I assume) was taken in a taxi. All done quite quickly. Poor them. Once again, hope all turned out well. There is the most beautiful church in Messina but it's not a terribly attractive town, from first look. It's probably much nicer on the ground than a deck 10 balcony.

Black tie night, and something of a milestone in our cruising career, as Mr SS proudly sported a self-tied bow tie! We were very pleased with ourselves - I tied it and he co-operated! It appeared to me that the main thing is just to be firm with it and refuse to be beaten. Anyway, his spotted, rather silly, tie looked OK to us and one of the girls in the shop complimented it, saying it looked smart but fun and not 'stuffy'.

We missed the Opera Boys again and Gemma Mcdowall, who I think we've seen before and who got good reviews.

Friday 15 April Zakinthos 21C

Greece! We have loved Greece for years but for various reasons haven't been there for probably a dozen years. We had dropped anchor and the pontoons were operational by 8am. A mite early for disembarkation if one was not on a trip or planning an adventurous self-guided tour, so it was balcony/deck time, people watching and enjoying the warm atmosphere. Off at about 10.30. The pontoon and tender operation was a dream. There was absolutely no movement in the water and it was a case of literally stepping from the pontoon to the tender. No queing, no peril ... my kind of tender!

We walked away from the town along the waterfront but only really reached the commercial port area, so turned and retraced our steps before stopping in a pleasant looking outside bar (with a parrot), for a beer. The proprietor was very nice but his beer wasn't great ... sort of 'start of the season' beer. Should have stuck to coffee or juice. The town wasn't fully open but there was enough going on to make a pleasant bustly holiday feel. We paused to look at a menu board outside a restaurant and a guy asked what we were looking for. We said good seafood and he said 'Mmmm, try Spartakos, along the front. It wasn't open yesterday but it may be open today. You'll get the best seafood there' Ah - he obviously wasn't the owner of this place then, as we had initially thought. Spartakos was indeed open and, on talking to the owner, who was doing a grand job as caller-in, waiter, ambassador and boss, we learnt it was the first day of the season. As he said 'The fish will be very fresh' - nothing hanging around from the previous day. We had a glorious long lazy lunch - mezze, then a grilled bream for Mr SS, octopus for me, nicely washed down with the only bottle of retsina in the place (crown cap of course - I don't think it really counts as retsina if you don't need to take a bottle opener to it). A couple on the adjacent table were enjoying beer with mezze and a dish of olives. Before they went they passed over the remaining half dish of olives and hoped we might finish them - we couldn't, although we tried, with the assistance of the couple on the next again table.

All aboard was 4pm, so there wasn't time for anything other than another stroll around, and the return tendering was as smooth as before. What a lovely experience. We wondered why it had been so long since we had last visited?

Tropical night, with many passengers making some sort of effort. We went to the Headliners My Generation, which I'm sure we've seen before and which, to be truthful, wasn't that great and then went on deck for the Tribute to the Stars with Freddie Mercury and Tina Turner-alikes. The film The Revenant was showing in The Playhouse but it didn't feel right to sit for nearly three hours watching the frozen wastes whilst in beautiful Greek warmth.

Piraeus tomorow and our long anticipated trip through the Corinth Canal

Saturday 16 April - Piraeus 26C

Well, this was it, our main project for this cruise, the trip to Corinth and transit of the Corinth Canal. We woke to clear blue skies and warmth and to find ourselves in a traffic system outside Piraeus. There were lots of commercial ships and inter-island ferries waiting their turn to be piloted in and we ate our breakfast on the balcony whilst waiting our turn. We saw one enclave of migrants in one specific area of the dock. Lots of little pop-up tents and at least they had been provided with water stand-points and portaloos but still not the best situation, especially for the children we could see playing.

Despite the warnings in the excursion information we didn't 'eat a hearty breakfast' as there was to be coach travel and I don't do well on coaches at the best of times, never mind in high temperatures and atop bacon and eggs. Finally Azura moved forward and we made our way to The Playhouse to await our call. Brr, it was cold in there, compared to the balcony, but we didn't have to wait too long among the demi-chaos, till our call came. We followed our 'lollipop' through the huuuuge terminal and out into the heat of the port, then onto the coach. We were absolutely last on, so bagged the back seat; the coach was full, other than the 3 other seats at the back. Just in front of us were the couple who had given us their surplus olives yesterday!, so we had a good chat.

It's not a terribly beautiful journey, through the industrial and port area and then out into active and derilict industry towards Corinth. Our guide told us that we had quiet roads because it was Saturday and that the roads are clogged on weekdays. We arrived at the 'service station' beside the road which crosses the canal. It's typical of such places, offering snacks and drinks, nougat/Turkish delight (neither of which are called that of course), toilet facilities, tourist tat, postcards etc. If you are doing this trip it might be an idea to grab a pastry or packet of crisps to eat on the boat, as it was to be over 4 hours before we sat to our included meal.

We had a 20 minute pit-stop, during which we were able to walk on the pavement of the road across the canal and take pictures. It was very hot but not too heavily trafficked as to make it unpleasant. Nice to get some relatively fresh air after the air-con in the coach.

Then we piled back on for a very brief trip across the canal and on to our canal boat embarkation point, where our craft was waiting. The trip was two way, through the whole canal, with a recorded commentary to fill in gaps in ones knowledge. It is an amazing feat of engineering, with steep stark 'cliffs' at some points, and quite gentle undulating landscape at others. We saw several pairs of birds of prey which were nesting up high. We were the only vessel on the canal; I doubt there are ever boats crossing on the canal; it is pretty narrow. There was the offer of 'orange juice' on the return trip; I didn't try it as it looked rather more like Robinson's to me. So, that was the Corinth Canal. Another tick on the bucket list. We loved it; it's well worth a visit and we found it nicely uncrowded, which is a bonus.

All back on the coach again for the short ride to old Corinth. It was wonderful. We had been so canal-fixated that we had not taken much notice of the rest of the excursion, so the sights and history were a huge bonus. Our guide was amazing. We discovered that the Greek guides have to complete a three year full time course especially to become a guide - they are not former teachers or history graduates or whatever. The historical site at Corinth is fantastic and we found it nicely quiet; there were few other tourists there on the day we arrived. It was very hot, though the guide tried to stop in spots with a little shade when he told us things or showed us features.

We had about 20 minutes free time at the end of the site visit, so could visit the small site museum if we wished, or look at the few shops or take refreshment! We headed for a taverna (the one with red umbrellas you can see when nearing the end of the Corinth tour, if you are going) We had a beer on the roof terrace but the wonderful Greek cooking smells from the kitchen reminded us that we had not eaten since 8am and it was now after 3.30pm. Cruise Passengers Hungry - Shock! Horror! It was torture smelling lamb and herbs on the grill.

We had something like a half-hour trip to a very nice beachside hotel at which our buffet 'lunch' (at more like 'high tea' time) awaited us. Three courses, with cold starter buffet, hot and/or cold buffet main and a few desserts (no baklava), plus wine and coffee. Lots of choice, nice quality, something for everyone. We ate with our new 'olive friends'. There was about half an hour chill time after we had finished and it was good to walk by the shore, though the view back to the refinery outside the port wasn't the best. The hotel was smart though and had residents who were obviously happy at getting out of the city for the weekend or longer with only a brief drive.

Finally it was time to load up into the coach again and head 'home'. Still very hot. Our guide said the temperature was normal for Athens for that time of year, so that's a pointer as to a good time to visit. It was probably about six when we got back on board and the shower and change of clothes was good! 'All on board' was 9,30 pm and we contemplated exploring Piraeus, and had tried to spot likely tavernas near the post entrance on our coach trips but, although it's nothing like as doom and gloom and 'here be dragons' as some of the descriptions and warnings would have you believe, the nearest facilities appeared to be Irish bars and good ole' British pubs - not what we had travelled for. We were also fairly tired, after a busy, hot day. We had a light meal (Miditerranean) in the buffet and saw the end of Shaun Perry in Manhatten. We liked his act. We went in in the middle of Bring Him Home, which he did well and he moved on through BB King to 'tunes normally sung by girls', such as Over the Rainbow. We went back to the balcony to watch the sail out - interesting departing through a balmy dark night. There appear to be some waterside developments, like bars, which will hopefully help the area up. I think I read a report a few days ago about China investing squillions in Piraeus?

Well, that was a lovely day. A quiet day in Mykonos tomorrow, to recover before Santorini on Monday. Cruises often feel 'feast or fast' - lots of consecutive sea days or mad, port-intensive, flurries.

Sunday 17 April - Mykonos 25C

We were docked alongside by 9am. Another lovely day and another breakfast on the balcony watching the first of the tour coaches arrive and depart. There is a water taxi to the town centre @ 4Euro pp. It's only a few minutes ride round the headland and quite a pleasant alternative to the shuttle bus. There is work ongoing around the port, paving, retaining wall construction etc but whether this will ever make a viable walk to town I don't know; I think there will probably still be points where life will be perilous for anyone walking, unless there is significant pavement construction. It's not far, just a few minutes on the shuttle and it would be nice to stroll around the headland.

Our first trip in was on the water taxi and it docked right in the centre. Lots of tourist stuff- bars, cafes, shops, someone flying a drone ... just what you'd expect. I'd been to the Mykonos port talk and knew that the town had been built to baffle potential raiders, so it was a rabbit warren of tiny narrow streets. Very charming, though not great for orienteering. I knew there was a pelican mascot - Petros - and we saw him quite early on.

Mykonos is an expensive, rather up-market place, not typically Greek, in my eyes. It is very pretty though. I wouldn't want to be there in high season. We were the only ship in but there were obviously lots of other tourists there. We had a very light lunch at a nice people-watching establishment near the windmills (Aleksandre Square, perhaps), excellent food and service but the bill was a bit eye watering. This was followed by more mooching around, seeking out 'Little Venice', which actually struck us as a rather dark and gloomy part of town compared with the other sun-bright parts. We did a bit of window shopping which confirmed our first thoughts that this was an expensive place. All on board wasn't till 10.30 (what a treat - being allowed out at night!), so we took the shuttle bus back to Azura to have a bit of a rest and break from the heat. We took the shuttle back in about 7pm and researched where we would dine. All the tavernas were anxious to welcome us in and assure us their fare was the best. It would be very easy to spend a great deal on eating. We chose restaurant just across the road from the small beach and settled to relax and people watch and eat. It was still very hot and we contemplated moving out of the direct sunshine but then had a second thought and decided to grab it whilst we were able. Sardines for him, calamari for me. Good sardines, OK calamari. Pretty expensive but you don't get to watch a Greek sunset with your dinner that often.

We took the penultimate water taxi back, with the sunset accompanying us all the way. Balmy and beautiful. What a great day!
We'd seen the Headliner's show, Reel to Reel, several times so went to see the comedian in Manhatten. Rudi West. Not my taste at all - coarse, unoriginal and unfunny. Several groups walked out, whether disgusted, unamused or just wanted to be somewhere else I don't know. We were in one of those Manhatten corners where escape is impossible, so saw the whole act. It didn't improve. All IMO of course - some people were laughing, so I guess they enjoyed it

Monday 18 April - Santorini 25C

We anchored at 7.50 and the Bing Bong sounded soon after, to say general tendering was available. Santorini insists on using local craft for tendering and on looking out there were several buzzing around the pontoons. We had booked the Santorini Hike excursion and were asked to assemble in The Playhouse for 8.50. We were taken to the pontoon and easily boarded a 'pleasure craft' where we sat atop the open deck. We looked around at other passengers and wondered how they might manage a trek up a volcano but it turned out that several trips were starting off on this boat which was merely ferrying folk to their starting point. So, we first dropped off the coach trip passengers who started their Santorini trip at 'the other port', not the one directly below Fira. Then we headed off to the volcano istself - a fairly new edifice in geological terms, formed during a recent eruption. On arrival in a little bay we had to disembark the tender and walk through several moored boats to reach land and meet out guide Kara, a Santorini native who reckoned she had done the trek over 4000 times!. She was very good and very careful of her charges, inserting rest and drink stops often, whilst giving us information. We got to the top, near which were the active fumeroles. The ground was hotter beneat our feet. There are lots of pieces of scientific equipment, linked to seismology centres in Athens and elsewhere, and there will be days' warning next time the volcano does its thing. It was a tough, hot climb, but everyone made it, and the equally hot and almost as tough walk/scramble down.

Back at the landing stage we caught our breath and boarded The Albatross, which awaited us. A charming wooden vessel, with refreshment and toilet facilities.

We then sailed a short distance round New Island to an area of thermal springs where the more energetic enjoyed(?) a swim, initially diving into the 'refreshing' spring-temperature waters but then swimming into the thermal areas and luxuriating in the warmth. Not for me but I enjoyed watching the others.

We then sailed away and landed (easily)on Santorini itself about 12.30. It was reasonably quiet and we were able to board the cable car up to Fira without any waiting at all. There were a few donkeys waiting at the bottom of the steps up, and we saw a 'train' of the animals walking, unladen, on the flat in Fira itself but I didn't see any carrying people up or down. I wonder if this is a tradition which is dying out or whether it was simply easier to use the cable car? The cable car sways a bit but didn't seem too precarious. We were in the first car and didn't get much of a view. If you want to see the view you would need to take the last car for an unobstructed view over the caldera. However, there's plenty of opportunity to take in the view and take pics once you're back on terra firma at the top, so there's no real need.

We turned left from the cable car, which is, I think less built and slightly less busy than the right turn. There's probably not much difference - more shopping opportunity to the right. Our only aim was to lunch in a restaurant/taverna with a great view - which is most of them! We were happy with our choice of eatery and our meal of sardines (him) and mousakka (me). Prices were similar to Mykonos but that's a priceless view, so who cares?

Last tender was 4.30 but we returned sometime before that. The tender operation was slick and appeared safe, though no 'pleasure craft' this time - we were efficiently sardined 'below' in what appeared to be quite a small vessel but probably held about 200 by the time the shoehorning was complete. Not a trip for the claustrophobic. The sea was dead calm and the step from tender to pontoon was a doddle. So, two tender operations on the cruise and two simple, safe experiences. It's not my favourite, so that was a big plus.

It was nice to shower and change and lose the trainers and socks required for the hike! We had a quiet evening, with a quick tapas style selection from the buffet, eaten on deck, then Malabar listening to Groove Salon. It was that or Reel to Reel from the Headliners or the awful (imo) Rudi West.

Tuesday 19 April - Katakolon 25C

We were docked early and the first intrepid passengers went down the gangway just after 8am. Where on earth do they go to at that hour? We had our breakfast on the balcony and watched the tour buses go off and looked at the single shuttle into the town. It's really a very very short walk - say 200 yards - so other than those people who are mobility impaired I can't really see the point of queing in the heat. The morning Bing Bong saw the captain asking everyone to be sure to be back onboard at 4pm so that we could set off dead on time at 4.30 and thus, hopefully, get to Gibraltar a little earlier than scheduled to allow more time there. Some of us wondered why ...

We liked Katakolon. Real Greece, or Greece like we had grown to love it some 25 years ago. It's scruffy and chaotic, not manicured and beautiful but the people you meet are warm and friendly; the food is simple and delicious and the pace of life is slow. It is also the portal to Olympia of course, so that is an attraction to many. There were people and posters advertising bus trips to Olympia at 4Euro (that's what they said - we didn't look into it), plenty of taxis and the charming little two-coach train, which does two return trips per day at (I think) 8 or 10 Euro return. If we hadn't spent three hours at Corinth and been slightly historied-out we might well have made our way to Olympia and we did feel a pang of regret when the news just a few days later included an item on the lighting of the Olympic flame there, as it started its journey to Rio.

Anyway, we had a great Greek day, just bumming about, walking on the (scruffy) beach - it was full of seaweed; they may well remove that before the holiday season gets into full swing - eating and drinking, with a brief wander along the two streets surveying the shops. I had my first ouzo of the trip, with a dish of olives, closely followed by my second and last ouzo of the trip. Why is it so nice in Greece yet doesn't hit the spot in one's own garden, no matter how hot the day?

We lunched in Karusos, a huge taverna specialising in fish dishes. Typical Greek atmosphere, with fairly non-productive bustle, gingham tablecloths, cane bottomed chairs, fantastic cooking smells and a little bonus - half way through our huuuuge plate of fresh grilled sardines the Costa Something-or-other slipped into port and tied up on the other pier! Not something you see every day. Apparently Katakolon can accomodate 4 ships at any one time. It's a typical small Greek resort, other that instead of studios and developments disgorging holidaymakers onto the town and beach each day, its holiday bedrooms are cruise cabins and very few of its tourists overnight in the resort.

Everyone did as the captain asked and returned on time and we sailed at 4.45pm. Next stop Gibraltar- what joy!

We snacked on Tandoori at the buffet and slobbed around - five full-on port days in a row had taken their toll but that was the end of any energetic stuff; it was relaxation time now. Talking of which it's time to confess that my gym kit went on holiday too but only went from case to shelf to case. I had intended to get to the early stretch classes but found 7am too early in the first few days of the cruise and was reluctant to join mid-way, for fear of everyone else already being much more flexible than me and thus becoming the class duffer!

Wednesday 20 April - At sea 20C

A sea day! At last. Back to a quiet sea day routine. Relaxation and doing nowt was the order of the day. I missed out on the crime talk at 10am and Mr SS missed out on going to the gym. We didn't have sun on the balcony for the morning, so we went for a rare sun-bathe on deck. It was very quiet on the bit of the sun deck adjacent to The Retreat but we came across our new friends, The Olives, again. We asked if we should meet for a pre-prandial and enjoy the black tie dinner together but they had a booking at Sindhu, so we didn't take a lot of persuading to join their table! The film, The Big Short, was showing in Manhatten but I'm afraid dozing in the sun won out; I'll have to see it some other time. I should mention that the SeaScreen is finally operational, it has been u/s previously. 3 films available today, The Walk, Far From The Madding Crowd and Star Wars - The Force Awakens. We didn't see any of them

The sun came on the balcony in the afternoon, so we went back to the cabin with a 'Grab and Go' sandwich. We had 2 bottles of prosecco in the fridge, untouched thus far. We contemplated opening one, but didn't really feel like it, so they stayed untouched.

Horizon asked us to chose our disembarkation time, so we went to reception to bag the earliest available slot, of 9.15.

We met our friends in Sindhu and enjoyed a pre-dinner drink there. It was fairly quiet and we were well attended to. It was menu B, so we had different choices to our first visit, and both had the beef tenderloin, on our friends recommendation. It was excellent, so I'll pass on the recommendation. No time for entertainment tonight - it was a choice of Josh's - Josh Daniels a comedian in The Playhouse and Josh Adams, 'a soulful singer' in Manhattan.

Thursday 21 April - At sea, 23C

The Queen's 90th Birthday. Another day of clear blue skies and wonderful warmth. I went to the crime talk, on the murder of Julia Wallace and the guilt or innocence of her husband, Herbert. Mr SS went to the gym, for the last time this cruise. I packed up some of the clothes etc which wouldn't be needed again and it was quite nice to see the clothes rail and 'shoe area' beneath look a little more tidy.

Much earlier in the cruise, presumably the first or second sea day when the select dining venues were being pushed, I had been persuaded to sign us up for an *exclusive* (cough) galley tour and brunch, available only to the first 100 passengers, and advertised as a real behind the scenes view - sort of 'access all areas' and we would be allowed to take pics. It seemed like a reasonable deal, and, at 3 hours, a nice way to while away time whilst avoiding the fiercest of the sun. So, in flat, closed-toe shoes, as bidden, we made our way to the Meridian restaurant for 11 am, and were handed a glass of 'champagne' as we entered. Probably prosecco methinks, but better than whatever appears at the Captain's reception. We were divided into (I think) 6 groups, maybe 7, and the galley tour started.

Lots of interesting things to see, starting with Ben the kitchen cleaning supremo who heads a large team which keeps the ship running. basically. He is very proud of his work, which goes on 24/7. Then, in turn, soups and special diets, puddings, bakery, and lots of others which I can't remember. At each 'stop' the member of staff in charge gave us an outline and invited questions. Everyone we saw looked very happy to be there and very proud of their part of the operation. I'm sure the addition of public speaking to guests will sit well on their CVs - who knows we may have seen the next head chef.

After the tour we went back to the dining room and found a place at a table. Trays of wine appeared and, again in groups, we were invited into operational areas of the galley and first of all asked to help ourselves from a starter buffet. The tables were groaning! Everything from their lovely smoked duck breast, smoked salmon, lobster, to samosas and other hot delights - far too much to remember. It was difficult to remember not to go overboard - there were two more courses to come. So, quite a different experience to carry one's plate/tray through the galley door and back into the dining room. Once there, a gaggle of waiters were on hand, anxious to ensure plates got safely to table and trays were whisked away

There were a lot of main course choices and again we had to visit the galley and 'shout' our order to the chefs who were the other side of the heated stainless steel serving area, when they would pick up a semi-finished plate and add whatever else was necessary. For instance I had sea bass on purple potato mousseline and had to order 'sea bass chef' whereupon he added a sauce of some sort and handed the plate to me. Again the waiters saw us securely to the table and joined in banter about what it must be like to carry 8 laden dinner plates and covers a thousand times a day. Wine glasses were replenished. Same system for puddings - a banana sundae, a taster plate with mini strawberry shortcake and Eton mess and other tiny delights, a hot pudding or cheese and biscuits/specialist bread (like I've never seen in the MDR ... perhaps an Epicurean one?)

It was a very enjoyable diversion; kept us out of the hot sun and filled our tums. Everyone enjoyed it and gave the staff a rousing round of applause They all appeared to enjoy it too. I'd recomment it to anyone who enjoys their food and is interested in its production. Best bit - the bread roll machine .... take a disc of dough, place it in the machine, press the button. whizzy whizz and 5 seconds later, voila! - 30 bread rolls!

A(nother) lazy afternoon on the balcony, digesting lunch and watching the world go by.

We had a pre-prandial in The Blue Bar. I tried the special Queen's Birthday cocktail of the day. Based on Dubonnet and Grey Goose, with orange juice and sparkling white wine; I thought it was very nice, as was the second one I had later. We went to the buffet for a small helping of the Thai specials, then caught the whole of Shaun Perry in Manhattan.

Friday 22 April - Gibraltar 23C

The Captain was very pleased that he had managed to make up time to allow docking and disembarkation by 8.30, with all on board set for 12.30. We had an extra half an hour in sunny Gibraltar! Whoop-de-do. We were in two minds as to whether to get off or not. It's always nice to stretch your legs after sea days but Gibraltar is (imo) such an uninspiring port. We decided we'd walk up as far as the Trafalgar graveyard, which always seems to provide something to pique ones interest and perhaps have a coffee or beer. It was awful. The never beautiful dock/North Mole area is being developed (for a power station I think, not beautiful waterside apartments) so the always precarious walk was worse than ever with construction traffic, and the short port call compressed the passenger disembarkation period, meaning that we were walking amidst a human crocodile all the way till we got past the bus station and through the tunnel. As Jean-Paul Satre (I think) said "Hell is other people". It didn't improve. Perhaps because we were so relatively early the main street was full od delivery vehicles, so walking on the pavements was difficult and walking in the road Impossible. We got as far as the official building with the canons outside, nearly managed to become part of the ?changing of the guard? (2 soldiers, one tall one short, with rifles, marching opposite the canons) and made a rapid return to Azura. Why do the cruise ships continue to use Gibraltar so much. I'd rather have had another day at sea and a stop at any of the Spanish or Portuguese ports. Next time we'll either do the tunnels tour or stay on board.

Having become cross with Gibraltar we felt we couldn't face the Great British Sailaway, so just hung around long enough to neck the glass of champers and then went back to the balcony. It was a lovely day, so we had room service sandwiches for lunch and one of the bottles of Prosecco from the fridge. It was very pleasant with views and shipping to watch.

We had originally booked for Sindhu for tonight, but rearranged it to the final night of the cruise. We went to The Beach House instead. I much preferred it when it was Italian themed, and thought it good value. I really don't care for the menu now - it is very heavy with lots of US influence. We both rather struggled to find something on the menu and both plumped for the fish - cod - but even that came with some sort of bourbon glaze or suchlike. I don't think we'll be going there again, unless we go for the lava-cooked fillet steak.

Analiza Ching was playing in The Playhouse, Levena Johnson as Witney Houston in Manhatten but we just had a quiet night in Planet Bar, with Frankie at the piano.

Saturday 23 April - St Georges Day - at sea no temperature available

Well, the Bay of Biscay was certainly more benign than on the outward trip. It was flat calm, light winds and beautiful sunshine. Warm enough to enjoy the open decks too. There was alsorts going on round the ship, including a Macmillan coffee morning. I went to my first lecture by Tony Sloman, who was doing a series of illustrated talks on cinema and the subject of this one was Romance. It was alright but I didn't really take to the speaker, so I'm glad he wasn't the only one on board. Diane Janes, with her crime history and crime writing was much more to my taste though, sad to say, I didn't stir my stumps to see either of her last two talks - the sun kept me outside.

This was 'wildlife day'. We had seen some dolphins the previous day but there were masses today and several pods of whales. Lovely.

The final back tie night and Marco's Beef Wellington/Baked Alaska menu.. It was good but I don't think the Wellington was quite as good as on our previous trip, which had been a revalation. We finished eating in time to catch Josh Adams singing in Manhatten (Headliners were doing Blame it on the Boogie). He was a very good singer and it was a nice act.

Sunday 24th April - at sea

*sigh* last day. This has been such a good cruise. I went to Future Cruises to get a quote for the same cruise same time next year. It was a nice price, maybe £200 less than we paid for this, but we mulled it over and decided that although we intend to do the itinerary again, probably next year, we'll keep our options open and aim for a late saver. There's no advantage in port or starboard, as far as we can see, so a guarantee balcony would suit us fine.

It was still nice enough to be outside, though there was a stronger wind, which brought lots of short-lived clouds scudding over.We stayed out till about 2, when the wind and cloud got the better of us. So, there was nothing else for it but to do the remainder of the blimmin' packing. I'd tried a new system this time, which I'm sure I read somewhere on a forum, of leaving the majority of clothes on hangers, fixing them together with rubber bands and just draping them in a case, with a ton of tissue paper. It worked! I had one broken hanger on the outward bit and no breakages on the return. The clothes were remarkably crease-free and I didn't have the chore of taking things off hangars and folding, unfolding and putting on hangers, taking things off hangers and folding, unfolding and putting on hangers.

We had a lovely dinner at Sindu, though a little subdued at the thought of this being the 'last supper'. I had the prawn,squid and scallop massala dish and it was huge. Far too much for me - back to the cod next time!

Our final show was the tribute to the stars with Neil Diamond and Witney Houston. Annaliza Ching was back in the Playhouse, but at the odd times of 7 and 8.30

Monday 25 April - Southampton 3C :shock:

The Captain warned early-offers that the temperature was likely to be about 3C at 7.30 Brrr.

We were coralled in Meridian until our call came to disembark. It became very crowded as time went on and there were a lot of people coughing horribly. Apparently there had been a bad cough/cold onboard but this was the first time I noticed it. It must be a while since we've done a P&O Southampton disembark and I wasn't very impressed; I'm not sure how but I think it could have been organised more efficiently, with less stress to all.

The baggage hall was a bit chaotic, particularly the final point before customs. If you wanted to design a bottleneck, you couldn't do it better, with 3 lanes of people pushing laden trollies converging to get through a standard double door.

It rained as we headed for the car park! Hard, cold drops, with a wind to push it into your face. As I waited with the trolly whilst Mr SS went to the kiosk for the key I passed the time of day with another lady who said she was glad to be home - 17 days was too much. I said we had been slightly apprehensive but had loved it. She replied that they had done 18 days previously and found it too much. I smiled inwardly, wondering if they had really thought that reducing from 18 to 17 would be the magic move!

So, that was that. We were freezing but cranked up the heat in the car. The dog was pleased to see us and the drive home was uneventful.

A great cruise. One we want to repeat

THE END

Sorry - this is really long; I'm not very good at being brief :tired:

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Azura A608 - Eastern Mediterranean, April 2016

Post by Kenmo1 »

That was an excellent review, Sunseeker, and brought back many happy memories of places we have enjoyed visiting and you really brought them to life. The only place we haven't visited is Santorini - hopefully we will get there one day.

That was a really good read with my coffee break. :thumbup:

Maureen

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Thanks, Sunseeker, very interesting reading.

We actually like Gibraltar although my wife's favourite jewellery shop is no longer there. Perhaps they made so much money out of us that they could retire? The reason that the cruises call in there is that Gibraltar is not part of the EU and so the ship does not have to apply VAT to all the onboard sales. This is the same reason that Guernsey is included for UK itineraries.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thank you for posting such an interesting review - it sounds like you had a lovely time.

It was good to read about the Corinth Canal, as that was an excursion I particularly enjoyed a couple of years ago
Gill

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Excellent Sunseeker, we are doing the same cruise on Sunday on Ventura, Mykonos has been changed for Heraklion but we are so looking forward to it.
Mel

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Wonderful review

cheers :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

My Cruising days have been long gone, just many happy, happy memories

I did enjoy your interesting Azura review - thank you :thumbup:
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Topic author
sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

screwy wrote:
Excellent Sunseeker, we are doing the same cruise on Sunday on Ventura, Mykonos has been changed for Heraklion but we are so looking forward to it.
I'm sure you'll have a great time. Bon Voyage and smooth seas

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Great review Sunseeker. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

A really good review Sunseeker, and what an enjoyable cruise you had. After that I am now really looking forward to getting back on board Azura again for the last four weeks in the Caribbean next year. I think when they built Azura, Frankie Gliksman came with the ship as a fixture. It's always nice to relax in the Blue Bar for pre-dinner drinks and there is Frankie tinkling away on the ivories, what more can you ask for.
Don't worry, be happy

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”