Melsea's new adventures on Azura A308n

Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Melsea's new adventures on Azura A308n

Post by melsea »

First impression of Azura is that she is certainly a very big ship, no need really for the gym as one gets lost so much and the distances from place to place means you end up doing quite a bit of walking. The decor and furnishings are very modern and nice. I will though at the end of the cruise give my thoughts on our experience of this different type of ship as the are most definitely aspects that are different even though it is a P&O product, at times it doesn't feel like.

We arrived at the terminal a little earlier than we did on our last cruise just after 11am. We went through the priority queue which was a smooth process.
It wasn't long before we were asked to board the ship and we were led to one of the restaurants just as we were on Oceana two weeks ago. On arriving we were met by the two Loyalty staff Brooke & Daniella who we both met before and once she saw my name she instantly greeted us with a hug. We were shown to a table of six. It was about 5 minutes later we were jester to go and get our lunch, well to say we were gobsmacked would a big understatement. Having experienced our first priority embarkation on Oceana of the new Peninsular Club we had nothing to go by, so not knowing any different we were kind of shocked to the offering we were presented with on Azura. We had very small selection of finger food, a small selection of hot food which had no accompanying food for it, ie they had a ramekin size cottage pie but nothing to go with it. Followed by desserts.
Although I had mentioned on a previous report, we had a buffet style lunch on Oceana and the selection was much larger just as you would have had if you went to the buffet upstairs only we were in the restaurant. So when we were served up with just virtually finger food it was just a little odd that two P&O ships within two weeks of each other GeV us a completely different experience. We did ask both the loyalty manager Brooke and the food & beverage manager as to why it was so different. They both said that whatever Oceana did was not what should have happened and they are looking into it, oops wonder who was right or wrong. Anyway we did go upstairs once we found our cabin with no luggage. We ended up sailing late due to late arrivals on coaches but I did see earlier that one of the two conveyer belts was not working but they did not mention that. My OH went in search of our cases which he found on the opposite side of the ship and further up the ship, so much for priority. They seem to be struggling with getting the luggage to the cabins as we were not the only ones not getting our luggage. Later I heard that another reason was that there was a lot more luggage than they were expecting. So who knows.

Again we opted for second sitting which was timed at 8.45 which is 15 mins later than usual. Our table of 8 was a round table which we asked for. A nice touch is that it is by the window. Table companions all seem nice. Two couples and a pair who are father & daughter. Conversation went well but one couple were very quiet but as the days progressed they have become more confident to join in.

First port of call after a very uneventful bay of biscay crossing. One passenger however thought it was quite rocky especially if you were in a small boat but to be fair he may well be a sensitive lad and I did remind him that we were on a somewhat more larger vessel and so it will not be so obvious. I have to say we are mid ships near the glass lifts on B deck and there are times you can't feel the movement at all.

Anyway, first port Lisbon arriving on a sunny & warm Sunday morning. We were docked by the 'golden gate' & across the miniature version of the Christ of Redeemer. One could be forgiven for thinking on e is either in San Francisco or Rio de Janeiro, a bit of an identity crisis me thinks. There was a shuttle bus that took you to the Restauradores Square this took about 20 minutes although P&O give an approximation of 30 minutes. The town became busy as people started to mill about the restaurants and bars enjoying the spring sunshine. I decided to go up the Santa Justa lift. It was 5€ and I did queue for about 15mins. You pay when you get into the lift or if you have a bus tour ticket I think this allows you to go up the lift but not to the top platform viewing area. You get to it up a spiral stairs case after the lift ride, so those not able to stand heights or have difficulties in walking or going up this type of staircase you may want to skip that but you still have a great view at the lift top stage.
Having spent a little while looking out of the view I made my way towards the sea front where there is a large square called Black Horse Square & on three side there is a very bright yellow facades which houses various places to eat and drink. Took a few photos and sat on a wall near the front before making my way back towards the pick up point but not before I stopped and watch the few mime people standing very still and when you put money into their box they move and do jesters of all sorts. I saw there was a McDonald's and used their wifi which on the door it tells you what the network is and the password. I was able to pick up emails, post on Facebook. Also leaving a little message to those that are on this cruise as I have not managed to hook up, this is where the old forum came into its own being free for use of P&O passengers while on boarding being able to contact each other.
While walking back I smelt a very nice smell and thought what is that? I looked behind me and there were two men with a 'trolley' that had a lot of lovely big strawberries, I stepped back towards them and for 2€ I bought a punnet of them for us in the cabin and they were very nice indeed. Got back with an hour to spare and in the cabin waiting for me were some room service sandwiches that OH got for me. I sometimes don't eat when I am on shore as I forget to and I really don't get hungry especially if I have breakfast.

Our second port was Gibraltar, we arrived at 11.30 and we got clearance to go ashore just before midday and our time to be back on board was 5.30. I got off at around 12.15 and like I did about a week ago I walked into town along with lots of other people. There were a good deal of people queuing for the taxi shuttle. As I was only here recently I knew where I was going this time. Acting on a tip made by Silver Shiney I went to the Just Dessert cafe and I used their free wifi, I had a cup of tea and a cake by way of using that wifi. Updates made on iPad I then made my start on walking up the Main Street. I had instructions to go and buy some port so I looked a number of places and decided on one shop where I would go back later to buy it as I wanted to walk further on than I had last week. My walk took me along the road that enables you to be able to walk up the hill of the Rock but I did not walk all the way only part of it at the point where I had a fairly good view of the harbour and Azura in the distance. On the way I came by the cable car station and found there was a queue and I had already decided I would not go up at this time. For those interested the cost of just going up in the cable car was £10.70 or 13.75€, with the exchange rate it is now it is definitely cheaper to pay sterling. I notice that a number of exchange places were offering good rates if you pay cash as they do not charge any commission, the exchange rate was 1.13€ to a £, where as on board they are only giving €1.05 to the £. Some shops charge you for buying anything with a credit card but there are others that do not, so watch out for that.
I have to mention the weather as it was a complete contrast to last week where it was sunny but considerably cooler but on this day the temperatures were higher and no windy conditions so a very pleasant day for all of us. I got back at 4.30 and just as we got to the second check point of the port gates I notice three flag poles and the flags were at half mast and I thought it strange as I wondered who has died. Found out when we got back on board, Mrs Thatcher had died. I know the reactions to. This news would be a mix bag but with all said and done there were good and not so very good things that happened through her time as PM but one thing I do remember very well and my dad at the time had to explain what was meant. I do not remember the exact date of this but there was an announcement that we had finally paid off our loan to the United States government that we got after the Second World War, it seems we were lent an awful lot of money and it took all that time to pay it off. Strange things that one remembers.
Once through the gates and joining the queue to get back on board I noticed a smaller than usual container vessel was docked next to us and I also noticed there were about 8 to 10 people along aside her looking up at her, I wondered who they were and I thought they were some of our passengers but it soon became a apparent that they were not. As we got closer I looked up at this ship and I Saw what looked like a spinnaker of a sail boat and when I stood pulled my gaze away. From the ship I then realise. It was a rather large yacht but not just that one but another 9 or so were also on there.the people there were there to take possession of one or more of these yachts and just I was getting on the gangway a car drew up next to the container and customs staff got out along with a dog who no doubt was making sure no contraband were on board as well as drugs. I have to say I have seen many containers in ports but never one that had yachts on board and they did look rather fragile.
My ramblings almost over and the next port is Barcelona where I want to visit the Picasso museum and to do a bit of shopping as well.

Melsea reporting on her rambling adventures on Azura...

rogerrovers
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Melsea's new adventures on Azura A308n

Post by rogerrovers »

I always enjoy reading your reports and hope that the weather is kind. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Jenny.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Great report Melsea. Look forward to reading more. I just love Barcelona.

Sue

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Jenny & Sue

Thanks,
Weather is in deed very kind to us. Today 12th April we are in Malaga and its very warm and sunny. Our hottest day so far.

Mel

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Have a great day Mel in Malaga. Just love this city. Our family villa is in Nerja so fly into Malaga regularly. When we have called on a cruise it is great to just wander around and visit the tapas bars. X

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”