Sue Kersh Live from Azura

Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sue Kersh Live from Azura

Post by Dennis The Menace »

The good news is that here is the first instalment of Sue & Garry's cruise blog :D

The bad news is that I can't for the life of me remember which ship they are on ! But it's definitely a ship. Or at least a boat. And probably a P&O one I reckon. So enjoy :crazy:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sue Kersh Live from Azura

Travel to Barbados and first day.

Taxi from home at 6 am and roads were busy but no major hold ups so we were at the airport just as the desks had opened. Our hearts sank when we saw the queue of at least 200 people waiting to check in. Thomsons were checking in both the 11am flight and the 11:45 flight at the same time. We found the premium desk check in and thankfully no queue at all so all checked in and my worries of overweight luggage were unfounded as the luggage were weighed in at a total of 55.5 kg and are allowance was 56kg. Damn I could have fit in that extra pair of shoes! Fast track pass through security is included in the Premium package so we walked past another huge queue to join a much smaller one. However there was a slight problem that an elderly couple had a wheelchair and were carrying something that set off the alarms at security. This caused a slight delay but only about 10 minutes. A quick trip to Boots for more lotions and potions and we were in the Styal Executive lounge enjoying bacon baguettes before 7:30 am. Not bad.

The Styal lounge is adequate and at least a quiet spot away from the airport rush. It always amazes me how much alcohol people drink at 8 am. I stuck to coffee until about 10am when I tried a wine.

We boarded the plane on time but take off was delayed because of some paperwork problems. The Dreamliner flight was as fabulous as everyone had told us. So much more space and a real feeling of airiness. We were given a glass of champagne before take off and I had Garrys as well. The free bar service continued throughout the flight and the food was probably the best airline food we had experienced. The flight was very smooth and I could see the Atlantic all way across. It was like a millpond and fingers crossed it will stay like that for our sail home next week.

We landed on time having made up the for late departure time. The only problem was Barbados greeted us with a heavy rain storm. Such a shame when the weather had been so good all the way down. We were on the first coach away from the airport and after a busy wet Friday afternoon journey to the port check in was easy and quick and by managing to by pass the obligatory photo on boarding we were in our cabin sat on the balcony with a drink enjoying the view even though it was raining.

We showered and changed ready for dinner as I had come prepared with a change of clothes in our hand luggage. No sign of our hold luggage until much later in the evening. We dined in the Freedom Dining restaurant which was very quiet. After dinner we were beginning to feel the effects of the early morning and the amount of food and alcohol we had consumed. I was going to go up to Breakers Bar but as it was still raining we decided to just sit on the balcony and enjoy the warm evening whilst waiting for the cases to arrive. The benefit of the large C deck balcony is that 1/3 is under cover and the rest open.

The cases arrived a little damp and we unpacked before retiring for the night. By this time we had been awake for 22 hours.

Saturday Barbados.

We were up early and had coffee outside before breakfast was delivered at 7 am. Very civilised start to the holiday and although there are some clouds around there is more blue sky and no sign of rain. The plan for the day is the Tiki bar on Accra Beach.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Oops!?!

I've just been reliably informed that Sue and Garry are actually on Azura! Doh !!

Mods - if you see this, can you please re-file this thread under Azura Reports and my username under Forum Doughnut. Ta

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Changed to reflect Azura as requested ... and although I ' could ' change your name to ' Dappy Doughnut ' I won't :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Ta very much :)

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Saturday Barbados.

We were up early and had coffee outside before breakfast was delivered at 7 am. Very civilised start to the holiday and although there are some clouds around there is more blue sky and no sign of rain. The plan for the day is the Tiki bar on Accra Beach.

An excellent day on the beach. Perfect Caribbean weather, cocktails, reggae music and attentive bar staff. It was a lot busier than when we were here on New Years Day but the beach is huge so plenty of space.

The taxi dropped us back at the port area and we stocked up on cabin essentials, rum, coke, wine and champagne should put us on until Antigua on Monday as the shops in St Lucia are unlikely to be open tomorrow.

Excellent service again in the Main Dining room although it was quiet as there was a Caribbean BBQ on deck. After dinner we had a look on deck. It was a very balmy night and the smoke from the BBQ, along with the very loud music from the resident band Jet Set drove us to the Planet bar for some peace and quiet. I think we must be getting old. Cocktail of the day was Caribbean Cruise which is a mixture of Blue Curacao and Malibu with some sort of fruit juice. Very nice.

We finished our evening back on the balcony with a coffee and Brandy. The sea is very calm and the temperature is still around 70 degrees. A perfect Caribbean evening and we can hear the music from on deck in the background. Just about the right volume now we are 5 decks down from it.

Tomorrow is St Lucia and I am on a P & O tour on a catamaran to the Pitons followed by a Swim and Snorkel. Early start though meeting at 8 am. Hope I wake up in time for breakfast as it is scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. Yum yum.

Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

Sue
If you pick this up, are you going to the Baltic and Liguarian lunch on Friday? If so will see you there!
Doreen

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Grando wrote:
Sue
If you pick this up, are you going to the Baltic and Liguarian lunch on Friday? If so will see you there!
Doreen
If so then she could also read a PM ... however, I think that your best bet is for DTM to pass on your message.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Manoverboard wrote:
Grando wrote:
Sue
Doreen
If so then she could also read a PM ... however, I think that your best bet is for DTM to pass on your message.

:wave:
I will do exactly that Doreen/Moby :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

22 March

St. Lucia.

I woke just as we were passing the Pitons but it was still dark. As the dawn broke the sky was looking promising until about 7 am when the clouds formed and the Heavens opened. This looked like more than just a shower.

I had a trip booked on a Catamaran for a cruise to the Pitons and a swimming/snorkelling stop. It was bucketting down as I left the ship to meet the catamaran. Luckily the seats were under cover but the mist had come down and we could have been anywhere but at least it was warm rain. By the time we reached the swim spot the rain had virtually stopped but only for a few minutes then it started again heavier than ever. Not much to see snorkel wise as without the sun the fish were in hiding and the water was not clear. It was refreshing though and just as the swim stop was over the sun came out and this time stayed out. Swim over it was rum punch time. Apparently 160 % proof so we were warned to be careful. Of course some people didn't think it meant them.

It was a great trip despite the early rain. Lots of reggae music and dancing as well as drinking and relaxing in the sun.

After a shower and quick lunch we disembarked to look round the shops and sample the Piton beer. The Rum shack was in full swing but as there were no seats left we decided on somewhere a bit quieter to sample the local brew.

Whilst walking round the port we met an officer who had hosted our lunch table last year. He is in charge of the cabins and housekeeping. He asked if we were happy with our cabin which we are but mentioned that our fridge was not keeping our drinks cold. We had already reported it to our cabin steward. He said he would look into it for us. It was lovely to see him again and that he remembered us.

There was a Sailaway party on deck led by the entertainment manager Benne, and after watching some very inebriated passengers being dragged out of the rum shack as the ship was due to leave I went to join in and cash in one of my champagne sail away vouchers.

After another excellent dinner we returned to our cabin to find that 2 P & O dressing gowns had been delivered together with White slippers and a lovely gift set of White Company toiletries. These had been organised by the officer we met earlier in the day. We also had a visit from the deck housekeeper who told us that he was monitoring our fridge and would get maintenance back to it. He mentioned that his senior officer had instructed him to make sure we are happy. It obviously pays to have friends in High Places.

The show tonight is Blame it on the Boogie, the orchestra is playing in Malabar and the 60 s & 70 s party is up on deck.

Tomorrow is Antigua and I am off on another trip kayaking and snorkeling. I haven't been in a canoe for over 45 years so hope I get paired up with someone who knows what they are doing, preferably a good looking strong tour guide.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

23 March

Antigua
A hot beautiful sunny day. Another early start for the Kayak and snorkel trip.

After a half hour journey by mini bus ( I kid you not our driver was called Dorian Gray and was very proud of it) through the Antiguan countryside we arrived at the venue and were greeted by our 2 very hunky captains. After a brief induction where fins and buoyancy aids were distributed we boarded flat bottom speed boats for a very fast ride which took us to the Mangroves where the kayaks were moored.

We were shown the art of getting into the kayak without tipping it up and amazingly we all managed it. Yes even me but I do hope no one was videoing it. We kayaked around the mangroves for approx ¾ hour and our guide found starfish and sea cucumbers for us to look at and photograph. I need not have worried about having the stamina to keep up with the group although no doubt my arms and shoulders will ache tomorrow. I did envy some of the ladies though laying back and letting their men do all the work. The art of getting out of the kayak elegantly escaped me and most of the others on the trip as well. Much laughter with legs and bums rolling around the dock area. My partner in the kayak was a real gent and got out first do that he could hold the kayak still for me to make my exit.

After the kayaking we got back in the fast boats to Bird Island where we had half an hours snorkelling time. The water was crystal clear and there were lots of different coloured fish and coral. An excellent snorkel trip and certainly a spot to go back to in the future. It was a short swim to the beach where rum punch and home made banana bread was being served. I only put my drink down to take a photo and when I turned round a cheeky little yellow bird was drinking my rum punch. They are so tame and must wait for the trips to arrive to get their alcohol fix.

The next part of the trip was a short hike up to the top of the island where the views we're amazing. There were 2 huge blow holes which were very quiet as the sea was so calm but apparently when the Atlantic is rough the blow holes are extremely active. The hike in the sun although short was strenuous but well worth the effort. The trek down was faster especially with the thought of drinking another rum punch whilst laying in the sea.

All too soon it was time to re board the boat for the trip back to the mini buses. It was a much noisier trip back with lots of singing going on. The rum punch had obviously had some effect. Once back on land more rum punch was served and there were a few souvenir stalls selling local crafts. One of the best trips I have done in the Caribbean, and one which I will repeat the next time we call here.

After a shower I caught up with Garry for a late lunch but I was too exhausted to do anything other than relax on the balcony. Luckily the captain had docked the ship the right way round to ensure we had the sun.

Tomorrow is our last Caribbean Island St Maarten and I am planning on a lazy beach day with plenty of Caribe the local beer and a couple of Cocktails.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Sounds wonderful.
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Sue,

Without doubt the best report I have ever read :thumbup: :angel:

I've never been within a thousand miles of the Caribbean but just reading your report makes me feel like its a destination I should be thinking about in the future.

Here's wishing you more great adventures...btw... eat what you like as I'm resurrecting the onelife pinch-an-inch diet when you get back..not that you'll need to go on one I'm sure :) .

Regards

Keith :wave:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Onelife wrote:
Hi Sue,

Without doubt the best report I have ever read :thumbup:

I've never been within a thousand miles of the Caribbean but just reading your report makes me feel like its a destination I should be thinking about in the future.

Here's wishing you more great adventures...btw... eat what you like as I'm resurrecting the onelife pinch-an-inch diet when you get back..not that you'll need to go on one I'm sure :) .

Regards

Keefy, I passed your comments onto Sue and her reply, minus the curse words (I think she had been on the rum again!), basically questioned whether a diet which pinched just the one inch was sufficiently ambitious enough for you at this stage !?!

Her words not mine ;) :lol:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

24 March

St Maarten

The smallest island in the world that is divided into two different countries, French and Dutch. We docked at the Dutch side at 7 am. Very busy day in port as we were first ship in we got the prime position. An NCL ship followed soon after by a Costa ship then Adonia docked next to us and an MSC ship brought up the rear.

We disembarked early before the masses and caught a water taxi into town. St Maarten has splashed out on two new water taxis since we were here at Christmas. They are very up to date Catamarans which must seat at least double the old taxi boats. We found a cafe and utilised their free Wi FI whilst waiting for the shops to open. Fabulous views of the 5 ships in the distance.

We did our Duty free Shopping then headed to the beach. It was still only 9:30 am and already Hot Hot Hot. We chose our beds wisely with thick padded cushions and settled down for a few hours sun and a few ice cold Caribes.

By noon I had cooked enough and we headed for a bar to sample the Margaritas before returning to the air conditioned ship. We got back just in time to have lunch in the restaurant, first time this cruise we have managed that. So very civilised.

At 5pm it was the Great British sailaway party with Adonia having theirs at the same time. Great fun and lots of friendly rivalry. This time next year we will be on Adonia. We were the first ship to sailaway and boy was it noisy. Adonia might be the smallest ship but she certainly has the biggest Horn and the Captain was determined to show it off.

We ate dinner in Sindhu. The food was as good as we remembered it. We had read complaints about slow service in there but our experience was the opposite and we felt a little rushed. After dinner we went to the Atrium to dance to the orchestra. Excellent music but a shame the take up ¼ of the floor so very little room for dancing. Rumour has it that during the refit the floor will be enlarged.

One couple caused some controversy by daring to get on the dance floor whilst a sequence dance was being played. I thought there was going to be a lynching. They were German and had never heard of sequence dancing. Not sure they had heard of ballroom dancing either but I did feel sorry for them as the mob circled.

We are not impressed with the dance instructors but hopefully they will improve as the cruise progresses. They have 2 slots per day to teach so not sure why they had to start teaching during a social dance session. We sat through them teaching a Latin dance but when they continued teaching a social fox trot we decided to call it night.

Tomorrow is the first of 5 relaxing sea days as we Transit the Atlantic Ocean to Ponta Delgada in the Azores. 2,295 miles of nothing but sea and hopefully sun. Captain Camby has forecast good weather for the first two days at least and will keep us informed as we progress.

17.0122° N, 61.7717° W

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
Onelife wrote:
Hi Sue,

Here's wishing you more great adventures...btw... eat what you like as I'm resurrecting the onelife pinch-an-inch diet when you get back..not that you'll need to go on one I'm sure

Regards

Keefy, I passed your comments onto Sue and her reply, minus the curse words (I think she had been on the rum again!), basically questioned whether a diet which pinched just the one inch was sufficiently ambitious enough for you at this stage !?!

Sue aka (Menace) don't believe everything darkpanties tells you, keefy is still looking pert both back and front......its only when you take a side view that things start going downhil fast :cry: l

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Onelife wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:
Onelife wrote:
Hi Sue,

Here's wishing you more great adventures...btw... eat what you like as I'm resurrecting the onelife pinch-an-inch diet when you get back..not that you'll need to go on one I'm sure

Regards

Keith

Sue aka (Menace) don't believe everything darkpanties tells you, keefy is still looking pert both back and front......its only when you take a side view that things start going downhil fast :cry: l
"Doesn't matter if you are low profile or high profile, it's always the side profile that hurts you the most" :roll:

Johnny Vegas, circa 2008

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sea Days crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

A very relaxing day with full sun on our balcony till early afternoon. I had intended going to the line dancing and the Battle of the sexes quiz but instead read a book whilst soaking up the Rays and watching the flying fish fly. So many of them I wonder why they fly. Is it get away from predators? Plenty of time to do activities once the weather cools. We ordered room service lunch and an extra ice bucket to chill the wine.

Captains Welcome on board party and our first formal night of the cruise. Captain Robert Camby hosted the event and looks extremely young to be Captain of a ship this size. He admitted to being much older than he looks and joked that his Father is a Plastic Surgeon. Plenty of champers being served or was that because I found myself stood next to the bar and some very friendly waiters.

Dinner was a menu by Marco Pierre White. This menu has not changed since it was introduced about 2 years ago but the lobster was delicious. Garry had the Beef and was equally as impressed. I was impressed to see the port marinated Stilton back on Azura, this was missing on our Azura cruise last year and I feared it wouldn't be seen again.

We called into the Planet a Bar for a drink and it was the Australia theme. We found 2 seats with a great view but within minutes a couple came in dressed very casually and sat right in front of us. They were not dressed for formal night and had even brought in their own brew with them. The waiter was very quick and they had barely sat down before he was over asking them to leave as they were not dressed appropriately. Good for him and shows that Azura is adhering to the advised dress code.

The evening entertainment was a ventriloquist in the Playhouse and Vernon Lewis in Manhattan with the Black Tie Ball in the Atrium.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sea Days en route to Ponta Delgada.

2nd Sea Day. Thursday

Cloudy day with intermittent Sun which was very hot whilst out. Another lazy day spent mainly viewing and discussing the 2016/2017 itineraries. The hour was put forward at 12 noon. We are now 3 hours behind The UK.

Some movement on the ship due to the high winds.
Indian night in the piggery which was very busy. Garry enjoyed the food but I only ate the spicy roast lamb and some of the salads. As usual in the piggery the vegetables were barely warm .

3rd Sea Day Friday.

Another Sunny day with intermittent cloud. Very windy on the decks but the balcony was sheltered. Ligurian lunch day and also another Formal night. Why with so many sea days was the lunch planned to clash with formal night?
A very enjoyable lunch with two other couples and Nick the officer who hosted the table were all great company. The wine flowed well in our direction and as usual after these events we slept what little was left of the afternoon away. The hour went forward again at Noon so by the time lunch was finished it was after 3 pm.

We still didn't feel like much to eat by dinner time so had a very light meal in the dining room. The show in the palladium was the ventriloquist and as we had heard good reports about his first show we decided to give it a go. It started badly with the sound system not working but when he finally got going his act was very funny in places and dire in others. Unfortunately for him but lucky for us the sound system failed again about 10 minutes from the end of his show. We made a quick exit.

4th Sea Day Saturday.

The days have started to roll into one. Another lazy day spent on the balcony reading and relaxing, which is exactly why we book these transatlantic cruises. We ordered a bucket of ice at 11 am and put the wine in to chill. By the time room service lunch is delivered at 1:15 pm the wine was nicely chilled.
The hour went forward again so now only one hour behind the UK but only until tomorrow as the Uk moves into British Summer Time.

We were a little later than normal going into dinner and were allocated a table at the back of the dining room. I joked that it was the naughty table for being late but in fact the waiters were the best we had encountered all cruise. They were very chatty and amusing.

By the time we had finished we had missed the start of the Headliners show Destination Dance which we had seen many times before. We headed for the planet bar and sampled the Salted Margarita which was as usual excellent. Certainly the best bar on the ship for cocktails.

The orchestra was playing dance music in the Atrium which is where we finished the evening. Whilst there Garry spotted a familiar face It was an old friend of his who had been the photographer at our wedding. We hadn't seen them since James 21st over 10 years ago. It was lovely to catch up with Howard and Noni and amazing that we hadn't bumped into them earlier in the cruise.

Final Sea Day before Ponta Delgada.

The temperature is definitely cooling now. There was more cloud than sun in the morning but by lunch time the sun had won the battle and we still managed to eat lunch outside washed down with a bottle of champagne. Another hour forward again putting us one hour behind the UK again.

Just before we left the cabin for dinner Maria delivered our Peninsular party tickets. Not only do they arrange the Ligurian lunch on a formal night they have now organised the Peninsular party for 1st April on a casual night and only one party at 8 pm. Obviously Azura likes to be different from the norm. We had booked to go to Sindhu at 7 pm so have had to change that to eat earlier.

Third formal night tonight and the Soul and Motown singer Vernon Lewis performed in the Playhouse. In Manhattan it was a double tribute act to Elton John and Neil Diamond. I think half the audience couldn't decide which show they wanted to watch and left the theatre in droves part way through Vernon's show which is very rude. We finished the evening dancing in the Atrium which was very busy. Although we have not taken to these dance instructors if their mission is to get as many new dancers on the floor dancing as possible then they have certainly succeeded. They work extremely hard with the passengers wanting to learn and give them great encouragement. It just makes it boring for the passengers who can already dance when he plays the same dances over and over again.

Ponta Delgada tomorrow but we don't arrive until 09:45 so a relaxing start to the day.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

30 March

Ponta Delgada

It was 10am before we got the announcement that we could disembark. Everyone must have been desperate to feel land beneath their feet as the area on level 4 was crammed with pax. We just wanted to get to the shopping centre for the free wifi before the crew arrived to take up the bandwidth.

The weather was certainly preparing us for home. When we called here in December it was a balmy 18 degrees today it was a very chilly 14 degrees with an extremely biting wind. Some pax still thought they were in the Caribbean walking round in shorts and strappy tops.

We wandered around looking at the shops and I bought some jewellery and other bits and pieces. This is not my favourite port of call and lots of pax feel the same way. It is a different place when the sun is shining but I feel for those who spent money on trips today as the sun just couldn't get out from behind the thick cloud. One bonus was it didn't rain.

We were back on board in time for lunch in the restaurant which was serving Portuguese grilled sardines. Later in the afternoon the sun did start making small breaks through the cloud so it was warm enough to sit out sheltered from the wind during these short periods. By the time we sailed away at 5 pm we had full sun and the wind had dropped. Typical.

Adrian Walsh an Irish comedian performed to a full house in the Palladium. He is extremely funny and the only Comedian I find remotely amusing.

It was the Hoe Down in the Atrium and Maxine Mazumder as Dusty Springfield in the Manhatten Lounge.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Final Days at Sea

31st March Tuesday.

Another very lazy morning. No sun as it was thick cloud but the sea is like a mill pond.

We went to Benne's interview with the Captain before lunch. He is extremely interesting and was happy to share his experiences. Benne had very little to do. We have seen her interviews with Captains and sometimes you felt like she was trying to pull teeth. The Palladium was full to bursting with pax sat on the stairs.
The Captain always finishes off his 6 pm announcement with his 'Thought for the Day'. At the end of the interview they auctioned off a chance to be on the bridge at 6 pm and for the lucky passenger to read this out. The proceeds were for the McMillan charity and the passenger who won paid £450 for the honour of doing this.

In the afternoon it was the crew show. Once again some very talented crew members on board showing off their singing and dancing skills. The Hotel manager (purser) did a bit of a comedy act followed by a magic trick quite funny but the young crew members from the waiters, bar stewards and back of house crew stole the limelight. The Palladium again was full to bursting.

Black & White Night and our final formal night of the cruise. For the first time we were given a buzzer at the restaurant so went to the Glass House for a drink. We only waited about half an hour. The menu was another of Marcos and was once again excellent.

Headliners were performing Reel to Reel in the Palladium, a comedian in Manhattan, the orchestra were backing a singer in the Malabar and the Black and White Ball in the atrium. Lots of choice on this ship.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

April 1st. Wednesday.

The sun is shining and as we enter the Bay of Biscay it is very calm.

Lots going on around the ship today including water skiing from the back of the ship at 8 am followed by a submarine demonstration at 10 am which can be seen from the prom deck and at 11:30 you can bungee from the top of the funnel. I wonder how many will turn up for these events.

It turned out to be the sunniest day since leaving the Caribbean. Wall to wall sunshine and sheltered from the wind we spent the day once again on the balcony soaking up the rays. We saw a pod of Dolphins about 100 yards from the ship but they obviously weren't in the mood to play and kept their distance.

We ordered a bucket of ice and drank our last bottle of champagne before ordering room service lunch. When Garry went on deck to purchase ice creams he said everyone was wrapped in towels because of the wind.

The swell increased during the day but it was a rolling movement rather than the up and down movement when the sea is rough.

It was the Peninsular Cocktail Party in Manhatten. Very busy but we know where to stand to ensure we get our fair share of the drinks. The man who won the prize was quite funny. When the Captain asked him what he would do with the cut glass dish he immediately said 'I will put it on E Bay'. Not the answer the Captain expected but he saw the funny side of it.

We ate in Sindhu for the second time and it was the alternative menu. Not as busy as last time and it was a much more relaxing meal. The spiced chocolate pudding for dessert was just as delicious as I remember it. Only one more day then back to a strict diet.

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”