Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
Mad4cruising
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

A304N 7/2/2013 a 21/2/2013

Post by Mad4cruising »

Azura A304N 7/2/13-21/2/13

My first cruise report, hope it will be of interest to some of you, please bear with me, posting will depend on how easily I can get on the wi-fi ashore. I did encounter trouble logging into the site and therefore have not been able to post as frequently as I wish, but hope you enjoy! (A new Id so hope this works!)

Thursday 7/2. UK to Barbados

After a poor night's sleep at the Radisson blu at Manchester airport (2am arrival in next room who made a very long noisy phone call and shared it with us), we departed our room at 5.50 and walked through the Skywalk to Terminal 2. As we have treated ourselves to Premier class this cruise, we were straight to the front of the queue and checked in seamlessly. Our hand luggage was neither weighed nor checked for size. Fast track through security and then on to buy some Bombay Sapphire for our cabin consumption (2 x 1litre £24), a few bits in Boots and onto find some breakfast. Our flight was showing a delay of 45minutes to 10am, everyone was on board by 9.40 and we taxied away from the gate. Up in the air by 10am.

It was good to be travelling on a Thomson flight again, and they catered and cared for our needs extremely well, after a very poor experience with Thomas Cook last year on Ventura.

The transfer from the airport to ship went well and we were on board by 4pm. The check in was good, some queuing but moved quickly. We were greeted by a member of staff handing out tropical garlands, Noddy and a youth team member were present after the security check with the hand gel. A Police Band were on the quayside to welcome us to the Azura.

Our friends who had just completed their cruise, who were about to leave were in the Atrium and we saw them briefly before they went off to the airport.

Our first stop was the Spa area to book a couple of sea days in the Retreat, only available for our second week, obviously with a weekly turnover of passengers this is understandable. We are assured it is first come first served for the beds, so will report back on that when the time comes.

Next stop our cabin, on Lido Deck 15, (a smaller balcony than we have had previously), but everything we will require is here, our Steward was on hand to greet us, our mixers and water now ordered, ice bucket to be filled, and he also offered to bring lemon slices too all to be delivered to our cabin daily. We do give an initial tip up front to the steward which we find does get us excellant service and still keep on the auto tips for the restaurant staff. As we have moved up a tier since our last cruise, our long(!) awaiting cruise pins were sat in little blue pouches on the bed. (Not impressed by the quality-prefer the GE pins) There is no cruise overview in the cruise informaion pack, just an A4 sheet with the dress code nights, and shipboard information. No listing of the different themed buffet nights, (mentioned daily in Horizon) or an overview of the entertainment. There does look plenty of different activities on tomorrow from the daily Horizon, so will take each day as it comes. CD is Leon de Ste Croix.

Knowing muster was not until 8.30, and our holiday can really begin now, we had a cocktail of the day out by the Breakers Bar on Lido deck, back to the cabin at 6.15 and all our luggage had arrived. Quickly unpacked, enjoyed a drink on the balcony in the balmy Barbados heat, watching the ship Riviera leave port.

Next where to go for dinner, we are are on Freedom dining.There was a bar-b-q out on Lido deck which looked inviting but we decided to try the Meridian MDR for our dinner and be waited on, a table for 2 was readily available, the meal was very good.

8.15 time to get ready for muster, well attended in the Playhouse, but no ship's officer in uniform leading the drill which we did not think looked very good. The Commodore of the fleet Steve Burgoine is our Master for the cruise, and he spoke calmly and very focused on health and safety of passengers. (Unlike on Oceana, where the focus was on the Norovirus, before the safety aspects).

A long day and off to bed very tired for a good sleep, tomorrow is sea day en route to our first port Curaçao.

Friday 8/2. Sea Day

Jet lag meant a very early wake up time, but we did manage to finally rise at 7am. Room service light breakfast, and then up to the fitness centre for a stretch and workout. Very busy for the first morning, which is often the case and then it settles down. Around 10am as the sun was shining, off on deck to soak up a few rays, very busy out on deck, managed to find 2 beds together behind the Retreat. Nice to see the Commodore out and about having a chat with the pax. Just before 1pm off to Venezia (buffet) lunch, extremely busy, did manage to get a table to sit down after 3 laps wandering around. Think it may have to be an alternative venue on our next Sea Day. Back out on deck and by 2.30 most beds were vacated, and we only managed till 3pm and then retreated to our balcony in the shade to read.

My sunglasses that I wear when I am wearing contact lenses have broken in the case, thinking I would be able to buy a new pair onboard, off to the shops only to find the cheapest pair would be £100, as they only stock the Designer range - No thank you, I shall be scouring the shops in port and am sure I shall get some for a more reasonable price.

Formal Black Tie tonight, a quiet drink in the Glass House, pre dinner in the MDR, table for 2 was by pager with a 45 minute wait to 7.30. As we were not out of dinner till just before 9pm, we were too late for the 8.30 entertainment, which was Headliners, 'When Swing was King' and Maxine Mazumder as Lulu. We have seen both before so a nightcap and an early night was had.

Saturday 10/2 Curaçao

Ashore just after 10am, our first visit, and very impressed we were, a good selection of shops, bars and cafes. A wander over to Queen Elizabeth swing bridge, and by the floating market and we had an hour in the Maritime Museum, which was $6.5 each, really good displays, worth a visit for the cost. A wander around the streets and we came across the Copacabana Cafe in a little square, had a couple of beers, tried the free wi-fi (password provided) and enjoyed Teriyaki Chicken the special of the day ($8.5). Unabe to log into the cruise community site, apparently my password was not correct (doh!) so requested a password reminder by email, hope to get on at next port.

Found a pair of Armani sunglasses for $15 will do me for the rest of the cruise. A slow wander back, the sun still beating down and it called for a small nap back in our cabin.

Buying the duty free from the airport proved a good move, as a bottle of Bombay Sapphire for cabin consumption is £24 (£31.50 with 6 mixers), duty free purchased from the shop will be available for collection at the end of the cruise. As I only drink bubbly or wine, bought 3 small bottles of Prosecco at the airport for £11.99 then onboard 6 small bottles of wine for £21. OH was concerned that we may have had some taken off us before boarding in Barbados, but nothing said as hand luggage went through scanner.

Smart casual (jacket required) is dress code for tonight, and we have chosen Sindhu for dinner. A wonderful meal was provided, poppodams and dips, a complimentary starter, our chosen starter (I can thoroughly recommend the crispy fried lamb on baby leaves), mains served with 3 sides and basket of breads, a sorbet then desserts and a coffee. The surcharge was £15 each. A very relaxed meal, which was very filling and hence we missed the 8.30 show yet again, no entertainment to report on yet. A wander back through the photo galley to see our Formal shots from the night before.

Tomorrow brings Aruba, where it is a carnival parade from noon, there will be 3 big cruise ships in - should be very busy.

Sunday 11/2. Aruba

We docked behind the Princess Coral just after 8am, and Mein Scheiff was also docked at a separate berth over behind us. We wandered ashore, the Main Street was closed to traffic apart from the odd police vehicle patrolling. The locals were setting up their viewing areas from the back of their trucks and trundling their cool boxes along on wheels. Many shops were already closed. We had a wander to Wilhemina Park, picked up a bit of wi-fi by the cinema, the called for a couple of drinks in the Paddock before returning to the ship for lunch. A quick baguette for the Poolside grill, very pleasant. Out on deck for some sunbathing, a light breeze made it comfortable.

The parade started to appear around 3.30pm, very loud and colourful, large floats with many people following them in their brightly coloured costumes.

The Princess Coral had left at lunch time, and was now replaced by a Norwegian ship. We left around 6pm, carnival still in full flow, and I believe going well into the evening.

Tonight was Indian night in the buffet, so made our way up their around 6.30, and met our old friend Nestor who is now the Deck 15 Restaurant Manager.

We managed to get to the Playhouse for the 7.30 show, The Headliners, in 'Blame it on the Boogie'. Although we had seen it on a previous cruise, it was brilliant to watch again and their energy is boundless.

After a couple of cruises on Oceana with Mr Invisible as our CD, it was most welcoming to see our CD welcome us into the Playhouse and announce the show, giving a short promotion of the CRUSE recognition scheme, explaining the process and the awards which are to be won, along with each year an overall fleet winner, winning a cruise for his/her self and their family also.

Maxine Mazumder was also performing Dusty Springfield (which we have seen before), and also Ricky Zalez (singer). 60s and 70s Party night also out on deck later.

Another sea day tomorrow and an alternative lunch venue, away from the bustle of the Venezia buffet.

Monday 12/2 Sea Day

A gym session to begin the day, then light breakfast courtesy of room service. Sun was on the balcony so sat out till 11.30, and them off to a talk in the Playhouse by Brian Greenan which was very interesting on life as a Toastmaster in London and around the UK. A good number in the audience too, he spoke on Friday too on his time working in Scotland Yard, but we missed that one, will try and make the next one on Friday.

We then made our way to Sindhu and had Nashtas for lunch. Three small dishes for £4.95 each, from a choice of 9 or 10 to choose from. We also had a Benares cocktail (name of Atul Kocher's restaurant in London) - good marketing! Grey Goose Vodka, coconut & strawberry and very nice it was - £4.95, same price as a large cocktail in the bars. Very quiet in Sindhu, only around another 12 diners in.

Sale advertised for duty free today, 15% off for today only.

For a new cruisers to Azura, particularly the 'ladies' the hair driers are particularly good, (unlike on Oceana) and the White Room toiletries too, shower gel/shampoo/conditioner/hand and body lotion.

Formal night tonight and we chose to eat in the Glass House, no reservation required. We had a sirloin steak and chips,and a black cherry jubilee dessert to share. Steaks were with 6oz or 8oz for £4.95 or £5.95 and the dessert £4.00. A really lovely meal.

Entertainment for this evening is Mark Walker (entertainer), Rudi West (comedian), Jessica Lloyd (singer from the Headliners). We chose to watch Mark Walker in the Playhouse at 8.30' had all the audience on their feet by the end. A good show.

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: A304N 7/2/2013 a 21/2/2013

Post by JohnTheDog »

Excellent report keep 'em coming!

Topic author
Mad4cruising
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mad4cruising »

Tuesday 12/2 St Vincent

I have just realised that I must have soon got into real cruise/holiday mood as I had my day/dates wrong over the last few days!

We arrived in St Vincent yesterday morning for 8am, and our first tour day - a trip over to Mustique on the catamaran. The evening before we received a letter to say that certain restrictions were in place on the island and no island tours by taxi could be taken. Good job we knew who was on holiday there.

The catamaran crossing was brilliant - went close by Bequai and an old whaling station was pointed out. As we got closer to Mustique we sailed slowly close by and Johann our captain pointed out a lot of the properties and history of the island. As we arrived at the beach, all cameras had to be left onboard and bags quickly searched by security. We were the only 25 visitors allowed on the island that day.We had a little wander around the few shops that were open, the small fishing village and up to Lisa's (a recommended local eatery). Sadly didn't appear open, but the view of the bay was brilliant. We came back down to Basil's bar, where our tour guide Laura was having a coffee. She rang Lisa who was just opening and offered to come down on their golf buggy (seems to be the main mode of transport on the island) to collect anyone who wanted to go up for lunch. No sign of our Royal couple.

Well I finally managed to get on the site and post my report, hope it will be more frequent from now on.

Faster crossing back on the boat, with plenty of spray, rum punches as well! Viewing a beautiful private island called Youngs island.

Back onboard in time for our first Sailaway party, the CD leading the show. Good to see the Commodore having a stroll on deck and posing for photos. Sad to hear Leon is going home from Barbados this week, so wonder who will be the replacement.

Dinner was Italian buffet, and change of plan with entertainment tonight, guest speaker Cheryl Baker has been put back to a later time and in Malabar (smaller venue than Manhatter), but will be recorded and shown on TV tomorrow. Off to the Playhouse for us to see Headliners again in 'New York, New York'. Another brilliant performance, yet despite pax being asked not to leave till lights up, the small few still (and always will I suppose) do so.

Finished my first book today, Here come the girls, by Milly Johnson - based on 4 old school friends cruising on Azura - can thoroughly recommend as a lovely easy read.

Tomorrow is another day - Grenada (it's a hard life!)

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Another great report. Sounds like you are having a fantastic time. Neil Oliver should be joining you as your new Cruise director.

Please keep the reports coming. 5 weeks today we will be joining Azura.

Sue

Topic author
Mad4cruising
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mad4cruising »

Wednesday 13/2 Grenada

A heavy swell made docking difficult for the captain this morning, but by 8.30 we were tied alongside the narrow quay in Grenada. A Caribbean band welcomed us by the cruise terminal, not a port I can recollect visiting before, but we had decided to visit Grand Anse Beach, a water taxi stand in the terminal was our meeting point and then were led out and under the old tunnel to the quayside around the headland. A short 10 minute journey at $4 pp each way, return tickets can be bought. A lovely 2 mile wide stretched beach with plenty a beds with cushions (if you are early!) and umbrellas, ($20 for 2 beds & brolly), the sea was gently shelving, with water sports a plenty. The beach bums will fetch you drinks, food as you wish, and are so accommodating without being pushy. Two ladies near us were on their last day and after counting up the dollars decided they could not afford a rum punch and told this to the guy, my OH was going to offer to get them one with our next round when back came the guy with a free one for them, quite a rare gesture. We caught the water taxi back at 3pm, wandered around the cruise terminal, OH bought a shirt for tropical evening, and then enjoyed the rest of the sun onboard.

Grenada had been badly damaged as a result of Hurricane Ivan in 2004, therefore a lot of the buildings are newly build, there are still a few original buildings around and the fort and churches are still standing well. A lovely island which we look forward to visiting again in the future.

It was a lovely Sailaway into the sunset, and after a couple of drinks went over to the Verona (Italian trattoria) for our meal. The choice of dining on Azura is really good and can't believe we have only been in MDR twice so far. Yet another lovely meal was enjoyed.

Headliners performed again this evening, Curtain Up, can't recall if we have seen this before, but as we were a little late leaving Verona decided to give it a miss. The group seem to be performing each night at the moment, previous cruises have seen them on alternate nights.

A browse through the photo gallery, a night cap then off to bed. Barbados tomorrow and a change of pax.

bruno1cat
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by bruno1cat »

My daughter and her boyfriend will be 2 of the new pax. This is his first cruise, so I am hoping he will enjoy it. They probably will be the youngest couple on Azura, she is 18 he will turn 21 whilst on board!! Maybe looking for a wedding venue for the future! ;)

Hoping the weather stays good - for you all

Dawn

Topic author
Mad4cruising
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mad4cruising »

Thursday 14/2 Barbados

Docked before we woke this morning. Had a quick session in the gym, the a/c is not brilliant in there so working out is not comfortable, when mentioned to the staff we are just told it is controlled by the Bridge! Something for the feedback form.

A walk ashore towards the beach leaving around 11am, on arrival at The Boatyard informed there were now no beds left on the beach, still $12 entry fee to include a drink and return taxi, decided we would prefer beds so walked a bit further round into Carlisle Bay and plenty of beds etc to be found. Had a nice lunch with a rum punch and then the taxi driver who had drummed up his trade throughout the stretch where we were bought us back around 4pm for $8.

Sun on balcony, Brilliance of the Seas departed at 5pm and we enjoyed a pre-dinner drink on the balcony, before leaving for a visit to The Planet Bar before dinner in XVII.

The Planet Bar has such a lovely ambience it is well worth a visit.

On arrival in XVII we were offered a table outside, which we opted for. We had already had a copy of the menu delivered to our cabin the day before and noticed a charge of £35 as it was Valentines Day, a little miffed that they had increased the price(normally £28 each), but all was explained on ordering, the recommended wines were to be served with each course, and also the soup course was to be included. A red rosé was also presented to each lady. The menu was excellent and the service also, only little gripe was the service after main course and complimentary pre dessert then seemed to vanish and we were sat waiting for what seemed a very long time. Around 9.30 we sailed and it was a lovely view from deck 17 to watch us leave Barbados.

Friday 15/2 at Sea

OH was up early and 3rd in the queue as the Spa doors opened at 8am for the Retreat. Having seen the crowd gathered last week on our first day, and as we wanted our beds in the sun he went up there at 7.45.

There is 47 beds in the Retreat and as some are situated in the shaded area, it is first come first served as they do not allow the beds to be moved. We collected our white spa robes and a towel each and chose our beds. By 8.30 majority of beds in sun had been chosen, at 9.10 the last couple arrived and obviously unaware of the protocol proceeded to drag a couple of beds out from the shade, to which the steward spoke to them politely. They then went to seek a refund, and the Spa Manager attended and did then allow two beds to be moved to accommodate them.

A light breakfast of fresh fruit and fresh juice or smoothie was served. We did have room service delivered at 7.30am so had started our day with something as the food provided is very light. Our lunch order was taken from a selection of wraps and fresh fruit desserts. You are free to leave the beds at any time if you wish to indulge more food. Iced water is on hand all day, and drinks from the bar can be ordered.

The two jacuzzis and oasis pool were very pleasant to cool off.

The Commodores Gala reception tonight in the Atrium at either 6pm or 8.15pm depending upon dinner sitting, we shall probably go by before dinner and if not too busy have a drink.

Formal night again tonight and choices - where to eat? A wonderful feature of the Azura.

We called by the Atrium early and the saw the Commodore's speech and introduction of the 'Executive Team' then off into MDR for our dinner, lobster on the menu tonight (overheard "these lobsters are getting smaller"!). It was a lovely meal.

The formal dress code appears to have been well adhered to, only saw a couple of gents I. The Atrium before the Gala reception who soon slunk away, obviously feeling underdressed!

Our new CD is called Liam-Jay, not heard of him before, so far so good, he spoke in the Atrium and also in the Playhouse later, looks very young!

Headliners were performing again, Destination Dance, which was brilliant with all their amazing colourful costumes. It was a full house in the Playhouse tonight, a few more families around tonight obviously the new pax, as I believe it is half term now back in UK.

Topic author
Mad4cruising
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mad4cruising »

Hi Dawn, hope they have a lovely cruise, what a good way to celebrate your 21st. We celebrated our son's last month, don't think e is ready for cruising yet! The sun is shining here in St Maarten today.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Mad4cruising wrote:
Azura A304N 7/2/13-21/2/13

Thursday 7/2. UK to Barbados

After a poor night's sleep at the Radisson blu at Manchester airport (2am arrival in next room who made a very long noisy phone call and shared it with us), we departed our room at 5.50 and walked through the Skywalk to Terminal 2.
I hope you let him know you were leaving......
Meg
x

Topic author
Mad4cruising
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mad4cruising »

Meg50. - I certainly did, hair drier going and doors banging!

Found wifi here in Antigua

Saturday 16/2 St Maarten

Docked in alongside the Carnival Valor and Star Clipper, by 10am we were on our way ashore to catch the Water Taxi to the main beach, $7 return per pax. Bigger boats than our last visit all sponsored by Diamonds International, so of course there was a short sales promotion once onboard. 10 minutes and we were there.

A quick smoothie in Pirates Bar, some wifi to post report and off onto beach we went, $20 for two sun beds and umbrella. Buckets of beer available, at $2 a bottle it is the cheapest we have come across so far this cruise. It is a lovely bay, safe for swimming in the sea and plenty of water sports. There did not appear to be the ladies wandering up and down the beach selling their goods, or offering massages, just the aloe veroe seller. Shopping is very popular here and our daughter would have been impressed that there is even a MAC shop!

We indulged in a rather large burger at The Hard Rock for lunch, returned to our sun beds and then of course fell to sleep in the shade. Around 3.45 made our way back to Azura and went up to the Sailaway party, which we though was a bit flat, perhaps we have been to quite a few now and they are like repeats! The CD was hosting and taking part which was good to see.

We chose to ate in Verona tonight and a table for 2 was available straight away at 7.15pm, we had a lovely meal yet again, but will have to visit again to have a lava rock steak. The Tirasamu is gorgeous and was even better tonight than the last one.

Tomorrow is Tortola and it feels like the downward slide now, but still got a few good ports to enjoy yet.

Sunday 17/2 Tortola

Arrived a little later than anticipated as the commodore had tried a different approach to docking today, we went in backwards and all ready to sail right out tonight.

A short rain shower as we arrived, but the sun soon came up shining, had a short wander ashore, plenty of taxis available to do an island tour for $15-20' or a trip to the beach. Taxi prices are displayed in the small terminal where we docked.

We found Pussers Outpost and of course had to try a couple of Painkiller cocktails, OH bought a bottle of the famous rum for $12.50 from the shop adjoining.

Unable to find any wifi so unable to post today.

As it was Sunday many of the bars and shops were closed. Had a quiet afternoon back on board soaking up some sun.

We ate I the MDR tonight and as ever didn't fail to please. Sirloin steaks on tonight, no entertainment on that we fancied tonight so an early night was had.

Monday 18/2 sea day The Retreat

OH was up at 7.30 and was 4th in the queue, not good for on holiday, but if that's what it takes, it has to be done.

We had a lovely day, fresh fruit and smoothie was served up to 10.30, and then wraps and fresh fruit were ordered for lunch time.

By 4pm we had to visit the poolside grill as it was going to be a long time to our 8pm dinner in Sindhu.

We didn't lose the sun till around 5.30pm, when we went down to prepare for the evening. We enjoyed a nice glass of Peller ice cuvée in the glasshouse which was lovely. The Rose is particularly nice but £2 a glass more than the white. Will have to try and get some in when we are back in UK.

Our meal in Sindhu was wonderful. OH had beef tenderloins (2 fillet steaks) I chose, trio of scallops to start and king prawns for main. Desserts we chose were fennel bread and butter pudding with ginger custard and pancake gateau with cinnamon ice cream. At £15 each it was a lovely evening.

A quick call by the photo gallery to collect some photos, which they still haven't got right, will have to call back tomorrow again!

On returning to our cabin we found a towel sculpture hanging from the ceiling, it was a monkey with sweets for the eyes, will try and post a photo when I get home.

Our rescheduled port of Antigua tomorrow.

Topic author
Mad4cruising
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mad4cruising »

Tuesday 19/2. Antigua

Docked in Antigua around 8am just as we were going for breakfast. We left the ship around 9 and made our way up the Heritage Quay to arrange a taxi to Nelson's Dockyard. Alond with two other couples we were offered a journey to the dockyard, Shirley's heights and a look at Eric Clapton's house and back to town for $20 each. This took around 2 1/2 hours and was in a lovely clean air conditioned mini bus. Kent was our driver, who pointed out many places of interest and told us quite a bit about the island.

First stop was in the hospital car park(!) with a photo stop of an excellent view of the ship, along with the AidaLuna and the Seabourn Legend. The hospital is fairly new and has been built by the Chinese, quite a large orange & yellow building ahead of the port area.

Then onto the dockyard with a couple of stops, one at an old church, and a viewpoint with a few local craft stalls on the way. None of the goods for sale are priced and they expect you to haggle which is a bit annoying for us.

It was $8 each to go into the dockyard, and it was lovely area for a wander round and to look at all the yachts in the harbour, many registered with UK cities.

We only had around 45minutes here, which was not too bad as the ship's tours were just beginning to arrive and crowd the place. It would be nice to come and have a cup,e of hours when quiet and enjoy a drink/meal.

Then onto Shirley's Heights, passing first a viewing point towards the Atlantic Ocean from where you can see Eric Clapton's house and the rehabilitation centre that he has founded on the island.

A little further on to the Heights where there is a fantastic view of the dockyard, a view you could never tire of. Again starting to get busy with the ship's tours arriving.

Back into town for a drink and a bit of wifi and back onboard mid afternoon for a bite to eat.

A bit of lovely sunshine out on deck and the great British Sailaway took place.

A drink in the Planet Bar tonight and the it was the very popular Indian Buffet in Venezia. We then made our way to the the Playhouse for Headliners show 'My Generation', a new one for us and it was performed brilliantly, with excellent costumes and props.

On return to our cabin there was the unwanted envelope containing our luggage labels and flight details! All too soon it comes around, but how lucky we are to have been able to enjoy this cruise.

Last day St Lucia tomorrow, not a lot planned for the day, whatever goes!

Topic author
Mad4cruising
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mad4cruising »

Wednesday 20/2 St Lucia

As we have been here a few times, done a beach break before, walked into town and seen the oldest tree, we decided we would just have a look around the shops in the cruise terminal, of which there are quite a few and they have quite good quality gifts, clothes and duty free.

I did book an appointment to have my nails polished to tidy them up for going home, I am not a big lover of the Spa prices onboard - so much dearer than at home, but it was £9 for a re polish, and the spa staff add a 10% gratuity on top. Could make some of the expensive treatments even more costly.

Bought a few little gifts then tried to obtain some wifi which ended up costing $5, just inside the terminal, where they connect your device for you. Was a good connection. Had a couple of cocktails, back onboard for lunch, then out on deck to catch some rays, in between the showers. As we were starboard side too we were able to watch the Sailaway whilst having a drink on our balcony, entertaining watching the Karoake at the Rum Shack, and the passengers who nearly missed the boat even after the Commodore blew the horn to alert them.

We decided we would have a lava rock steak in Verona for our last evening on board, as it was quite busy with a 1/2 hour wait we went up into The Planet Bar for a drink first. Our steaks were absolutely gorgeous and well worth £6.25 each.

We had hope to watch Steve Tandy in the Playhouse, but were running late, so maybe another time as we have seen his name about before. Then it was time to face the packing!

Cases outside the room and off to bed, not a good night as there was a lot of movement, and we seemed to be rolling about quite a lot.

Thursday 21/2 Barbados

Up early this morning as OH had to be down for the Immigration/Customs formality between 7-7.15 am. We have to be out the cabin by 9am, can leave any hand luggage in the Playhouse if necessary, then off to breakfast. We are not due to leave the ship for the airport until 12.45 (if onetime!).

We plan a wander into the cruise terminal for any last minute bits, if we get some wi-fi will post this.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read all my ramblings, I hope some of you have enjoyed this report, and it has in some way helped some of you who have not cruised before or been on the Azura before. She is a lovely ship and my favourite P&O at the moment.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi, I have really enjoyed your posts. 4 weeks today we will be joining Azura. We are also big fans of the Azura especially in the Caribbean. Hope you have a good flight home.

Sue

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

Like Sue, we are also in 4 weeks and counting mode before we join Azura. Reading your reviews has given me some ideas of things to do whilst we are there.

Have a safe journey home.
Regards

Peter

Redrosegirlie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Redrosegirlie »

That was a fantastic report! I wish I had done a bit of a diary on our Caribbean cruise in January as some islands are a bit of a blur now.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I've just caught up with your reports.

It sounds like you've had a great cruise.

Thanks for posting your reports, they were a good read.
Gill

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Pleased to read you had a good time. Many thanks for your report.

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Great report, glad you enjoyed.... It's great that reports are back and I enjoyed writing mine...
Jenni

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Fantastic report, thank you - just read the whole thing and I can really imagine it all. We are off in just under 3 weeks and we intend to try the Lave rock steak after so many recommendations. Glad it was such a good trip.

Carole

Topic author
Mad4cruising
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mad4cruising »

Thanks all, back home now, flight went well. P&O do a marvellous service in Barbados with transporting the luggage and sorting immigration/customs out. After a short call in the cruise terminal we went back onboard and enjoyed a quick lunch at 12, said bye to our good friend Nestor and on the bus by 12.45 for the airport. Had a couple of hours sleep after arriving home, been to do the food shop and just got to attack the unpacking now, did do some washing on our last day. Loved doing the report, so thanks again for your comments everyone.

Susan1
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Susan1 »

Thought this report was ab fab ! Thank you for taking the time to write it ~ Sue

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”