Buffet restaurant

Discussions about anything related to Oceana

Topic author
Lazysusan
Cadet
Cadet

Buffet restaurant

Post by Lazysusan »

Is there a buffet restaurant on the Oceana as we often use the buffet for breakfast and lunch. I can only seem to see info on paid restaurants apart from the mdr.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Buffet restaurant

Post by Romig1 »

It's the plaza on Oceana. Top and foreward.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

It's location means you can great great views too.

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

and there's Cafe Jardin for a buffet breakfast and light lunch
It's a great spot for people watching
CJ breakfast is serve-yourself with meusli-type cereal, fruit, pastries, continental meats and waiter served 'speciality du jour' like eggs benedict or smoked salmon omelette'. Waiters bring and replenish your tea and coffee too.
No toast, no full English, but a nice change and much quieter than The Plaza

Topic author
Lazysusan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lazysusan »

Thanks, so the Cafe Jardin isn't a paid restaurant then or is it in the evening only ?

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Evening only
(there may be a minimal surcharge (£1 or £2) on e.g. steak at lunchtime)

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I will second Cafe Jardin for breakfast although curiously they do not serve toast ... but I hope they still serve the ducks egg on black pudding

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

The Plaza self-service is fine for breakfast and lunch, Susan. Cafe Jardin is OK but with a limited menu and I would certainly not recommend it for dinner - not worth the supplement, imo. The MDR is very good, though, so you don't really need an alternative..

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

kaymar wrote:
The Plaza self-service is fine for breakfast and lunch, Susan. Cafe Jardin is OK but with a limited menu and I would certainly not recommend it for dinner - not worth the supplement, imo. The MDR is very good, though, so you don't really need an alternative..
kaymar, having seen the new menu (but not having tasted it) I would be inclined to agree ... the old menu was fantastic though.

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

On my last Oceana cruise I tried informal so missed out on the formal nights. The Plaza was a good alternative in the evening as it was not busy and had the tables set with cutlery etc etc. There was also plenty of room to set further tables if demand increased.

In late evening it is used for the syndicate quizz and it also has a bar and used to have a dance floor before they covered it with tables. It is a pity it could not be used for a late evening 'Crows' Nest' which is missing from Oceana.

Cafe Jardin in the evenings is basically a posh pizza restaurant and not worth the supplement IMO. The supplement is actually higher for the Horizon Grill.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

davecttr wrote:
On my last Oceana cruise I tried informal so missed out on the formal nights. The Plaza was a good alternative in the evening as it was not busy and had the tables set with cutlery etc etc. There was also plenty of room to set further tables if demand increased.

In late evening it is used for the syndicate quizz and it also has a bar and used to have a dance floor before they covered it with tables. It is a pity it could not be used for a late evening 'Crows' Nest' which is missing from Oceana.

Cafe Jardin in the evenings is basically a posh pizza restaurant and not worth the supplement IMO. The supplement is actually higher for the Horizon Grill.
A few years ago on Oceana the syndicate quizzes were held in the MDR. I asked why the Plaza wasn't being used instead and was told that it is directly over the captain's cabin and that he didn't like the noise.

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
davecttr wrote:

A few years ago on Oceana the syndicate quizzes were held in the MDR. I asked why the Plaza wasn't being used instead and was told that it is directly over the captain's cabin and that he didn't like the noise.
Yeah!

those syndicate quizzes can get lively with all the fighting and arguing.

The present captains must be deaf or more likely head office have had a quiet word with them.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Lazysusan wrote:
Is there a buffet restaurant on the Oceana as we often use the buffet for breakfast and lunch. I can only seem to see info on paid restaurants apart from the mdr.
Susan - please see http://www.cruise-community.me.uk/viewt ... 812#p23812 and http://www.cruise-community.me.uk/viewt ... 177#p26177 for the CJ menus as at March 2013.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Return to “About Oceana”