Discussions about anything related to Oceana

Topic author
colwill
Cadet
Cadet

Oceana - Cafe Jardin

Post by colwill »

Hello all, most interesting site.

Just booked on Oceana for the first time and have seen several comments that the MPW speciality restaurant is basically a pizza/pasta joint. Is this still the case, or have things changed since the reviews I've found, dating from earlier this year?

Go cruising
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Oceana - Cafe Jardin

Post by Go cruising »

we visited MPW on board Adonia. The menu was fairly varied. we had the deep fried soft blue shell crab. the quails eggs on mushrooms. the steak was excellent, the salmon a little dry. we really enjoyed our evening. was it worth the supplement? not sure.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Last time I was on Oceana was 2010 and we ate in Cafe Jardin twice (both menus)
Can't remember what we had but do remember it was pretty good, both times.

We certainly didn't have Pizza or Pasta.

The style and location of Cafe Jardin means that it's unlikely to be considered fine dining, but still pretty good to me.

Actually, thinking about it, the first time we both started with Moules, which were excellent.

If I remember correctly, the surcharge was only a fiver each. That's probably changed a bit now.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It's on a par with Aurora's Cafe Bordeaux ... makes a very nice change but fine dining nor a Pizza Joint it aint.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
colwill
Cadet
Cadet

Post by colwill »

barney wrote:
If I remember correctly, the surcharge was only a fiver each. That's probably changed a bit now.
Many thanks, all, for rapid responses. However, from what I've read several times, Café Jardin changed a year or two ago, and now does mainly pizza and pasta, albeit MPW pizza and pasta... Anyone got a recent experience, please?

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

Menus for all restaurants on all ships can be found here.
https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life- ... ample_menu
It does seem to be mainly pizza and pasta now.
Brian

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

We were on Oceana this November and only used Cafe Jardin for late night drink/snacks. Not a very inspiring place to eat in the evening so kept to the main restaurant - also the menus were mainly pizza/pasta etc. One couple did use the cafe jardin and had steak and did say the dessert was nice.

Also - fancied using Horizon Grill but it was too cold in the evenings so again the ambience was not there as they move you into the Plaza.

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

Just to add you are sat in a thoroughfare - overlooking the Atrium - so not particularly inspiring for an evening meal.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Welcome to the forum Colwil. No, defiinitely not worth the supplement imo. Bistro/pizza joint and noisy with it from the entertainment in the atrium.

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Cafe Jardin menu is mostly pizza but other choices as well such as risotto, meatballs, fish, pasta etc. The problem is the location and it does not have a galley big enough to provide a fine dining experience. It turns into the all night bufffet late evening. The Horizon grill has a larger supplement and is good for al fresco meals.

Another problem with Cafe Jardin is it blocks access to the public toilets from the entertainment venues on that deck. this overstresses the facilities on the prom deck below. I am sure they have though about moving the Cafe but there is nowhere else to put it.

Topic author
colwill
Cadet
Cadet

Post by colwill »

Very many thanks, all. Have very happy memories of Gary Rhodes on Arcadia, but will lower expectations (considerably).

And thanks for the welcome. May be some other daft questions coming up.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Colwil, we went earlier this year and I posted both the menus:

http://www.cruise-community.me.uk/viewt ... 812#p23812

Ten mains, of which one is pasta, four are pizza

http://www.cruise-community.me.uk/viewt ... 177#p26177

Cafe Jardin is our favourite place for lunch or a very quick light breakfast (if you limit yourself to what's on the servery, rather than ordering from the menu), and we go there every evening, after the "select dining" finishes, for a bedtime drink.

As has been said, it is noisy - both from the atrium, which CJ encircles at the top, and the entertainment from the lap-dan.. sorry, Winner's Bar (the decor used to look like how I would imagine a sleaze-joint to look - it was toned down a little last we went).

We think Oceana is a great ship (others would disagree!) and I know you'll enjoy your cruise.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

No disagreement here. Although (to me) Oriana has the edge in some areas, Oceana is still a great ship and the only one we have sailed on twice in succession.

Topic author
colwill
Cadet
Cadet

Post by colwill »

Very many thanks again, especially to Alan - those menus, combined with the location, make the whole thing a little underwhelming. What a shame, particularly as we were not keen on the dining standards in the MDR on our one previous cruise with P&O on Arcadia in 2008, whereas Gary Rhodes was superb. Add to that our expectation that standards must have dropped further since then, quite understandably due to current pricing... Hey ho, we'll have a good time anyway.

Actually, we said "never again", but are so shallow that we've been lured by an itinerary to some sun in January at a decent price. To end on a positive, our experience of the P&O staff was amazingly good - equal to the Grills on Cunard, and better than the MDR.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Yes, colwill, I'm afraid that the simple truth is that there is no fine dining option on board Oceana at present. I agree that Arcadia Rhodes was excellent and the MPW Cafe Jardin on Oceana is not in the same league. For what it is worth, though, when we were last on Oceana twelve months ago, the MDR was quite acceptable. OK, not fine dining and doesn't pretend to be but still good food, good service and good value. If you can accept that for what it is and enjoy everything else, then I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

kaymar wrote:
Yes, colwill, I'm afraid that the simple truth is that there is no fine dining option on board Oceana at present. I agree that Arcadia Rhodes was excellent and the MPW Cafe Jardin on Oceana is not in the same league. For what it is worth, though, when we were last on Oceana twelve months ago, the MDR was quite acceptable. OK, not fine dining and doesn't pretend to be but still good food, good service and good value. If you can accept that for what it is and enjoy everything else, then I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

hear hear
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

sunsetsail2night
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by sunsetsail2night »

colwill - am I right in thinking you are on the 2nd January cruise? I'm also doing this one. Have done so for the past few years although this time they've reduced it to 28 nights rather than the 35 in previous years.

I use CJ most breakfast times and frequently at lunchtime and enjoy it very much. My cabin is close by.

Oceana is a very friendly ship and the January cruise especially so - lots of cruisers are regulars on this January cruise.

Have a great time
Brenda

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Just noticed on the P&O site that on formal nights Cafe Jardin is listed as an 'evening casual' venue and Horizons grill as formal. In fact there is not much formal on Oceana, just the main dining rooms. Horizon grill and Magnums champagne bar. I wonder why they add a jacket required code in the winter season?

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Oceana - Cafe Jardin

Post by Quizzical Bob »

davecttr wrote:
Just noticed on the P&O site that on formal nights Cafe Jardin is listed as an 'evening casual' venue and Horizons grill as formal. In fact there is not much formal on Oceana, just the main dining rooms. Horizon grill and Magnums champagne bar. I wonder why they add a jacket required code in the winter season?
Yes, having to wear a jacket can be a nasty surprise, especially if you were expecting a more casual cruise.

Return to “About Oceana”