Princess compoared to P&O

Anything about Princess cruises

Topic author
SpikeM
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Princess compoared to P&O

Post by SpikeM »

By the end of this year my family and I would have done 10 cruises with P and O. We're big fans of them but having cruised almost exclusively with them, we did 1 mini cruise on the QM2, we are thinking about trying Princess next year for a change. So I was just wondering what peoples experience of Princess were and how they compared to P and O and if all you experienced cruisers would think my family and I would enjoy it. It would be interesting to hear from other families that have cruised with both. Just to give you some information about us my, wife and I are in our early 40's and by next summer my daughter will be 11 and my son, 10. The cruise we are thinking of trying is on the Crown Princess.
Thanks.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Princess compoared to P&O

Post by Jan Rosser »

Hi Spike and welcome :wave:

I am sailing in August with my son and family (2 granddaughters aged 13 and 9) to the Fjords and North Cape on Emerald Princess. This will be their second cruise with Princess having only sailed with P&O previously and they thoroughly enjoyed it - it's not so different from P&O - crew very friendly - children's clubs similar - different shows - good food. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them but be prepared for the American passengers who are usually larger than life :roll:
Janis

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Very little to choose between P&O and Princess since P&O got rid of silver service. Food and accommodation very similar.

We've done about six cruises on each.

Entertainment maybe slightly more geared towards U.S. passengers.

If you like P&O I can't see why you wouldn't like Princess.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Our friends have sailed with Princess and P & O, and think Princess currently have the edge over P&O.

We hope to try Princess in the next couple of years. Apart from a CMV cruise and a Viking river cruise, we've always stuck to P&O, but we are now looking to try something else.
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We tried a change of cruise line a little while back, and are glad we made the change. Looking over the whole change etc now, I think that the best thing to do is if you try a different cruise line try and relax and enjoy the experience - don't concentrate on comparing too much.

If you have a good time on the trial cruise, then why not stick with it, and try and remember the previous cruises for their good points - that's the stage we're at now. We've got some more cruises with the cruise line that we changed to, and we've got a couple of cruises booked with a n other cruiseline too. I'm going to try very hard not to compare stuff too much, and just see how happy I am when I get home from these new experiences. If the happiness level is nicely over half full, then it's time to book another cruise with them. If not - search and try something else. Life's too short and too precious to carry on dwelling on negative stuff.

Big Bob
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Big Bob »

We were in Barbados in January on Azura and Adonia was also there. There were two princess ships - one the same class as Adonia and one the same as Azura. The Princess ships looked so clean and well kept and by comparison the two P&O ships looked a bit tatty. Made us say we will definitely give them a try.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We were on Emerald Princess a few years ago and have a Princess cruise booked for September going to Canada and New England with extra nights in New York.
We have cruised mainly with P&O because we like what they offer but in this instance for the itinerary it had to be Princess. On Princess we shall be elite! :lol:
As Jan said be prepared for the American passengers they do tend to ask very personal details :lol: saying that we found most of them friendly!

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Just thought of one BIG difference :-

You get a kettle and tea making stuff in your cabin on P&O but not Princess. :cry:

(and you can't take your own kettle on Princess)

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

allatc wrote:
Just thought of one BIG difference :-

You get a kettle and tea making stuff in your cabin on P&O but not Princess. :cry:

(and you can't take your own kettle on Princess)
That is the one drawback but room service is good and I confess I have taken a kettle but kept it hidden - naughty I know but I am very careful if and when I use it.
Janis

Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

Can recommend Princess, we have just returned from 19 days on Diamond Sydney to Singapore, a fabulous cruise and the service and food we thought the best for a while. Entertainment a bit like P&O but plenty of quizzes and the usual shows, something for all, catering for mainly Australian guests the Brits were in the minority but it was a very friendly ship. Don't forget as you have travelled with P&O you will be elevated in the Princess loyalty scheme, we are Elite which give you free laundry, 250 minutes each free wifi, mini bar set up and more, a far better system we think! We took a kettle and they do say non thermastatically controlled devices are not allowed so as it switches itself off we didn't hide it (we have in the past) and our steward didn't say anything. Our main reason for using Princess is the different itineries, and we have done some really good ones.
Children seem to be well catered for and whenever we saw them seem to be well occupied, it was over the Easter holidays. So don't be afraid to try them, sure you will not be dissappointed, theres a big world out there! Good luck.
Doreen

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

SpikeM wrote:
By the end of this year my family and I would have done 10 cruises with P and O. We're big fans of them but having cruised almost exclusively with them, we did 1 mini cruise on the QM2, we are thinking about trying Princess next year for a change. So I was just wondering what peoples experience of Princess were and how they compared to P and O and if all you experienced cruisers would think my family and I would enjoy it. It would be interesting to hear from other families that have cruised with both. Just to give you some information about us my, wife and I are in our early 40's and by next summer my daughter will be 11 and my son, 10. The cruise we are thinking of trying is on the Crown Princess.
Thanks.
If you are going to book be quick and get the free drinks package. We did and I think we will enjoy out first Princess cruise as a result. :) ;)

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Yes, as Grando says, your P&O smartie points count towards Princess, so make sure you register on their website!

On a slightly different tack, I don't understand why my P&O points make me "Elite" on Princess when I've never sailed with Princess, yet don't count towards anything on Cunard (or vice versa) when all three are owned by Carnival. :roll:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Yes, as Grando says, your P&O smartie points count towards Princess, so make sure you register on their website!

On a slightly different tack, I don't understand why my P&O points make me "Elite" on Princess when I've never sailed with Princess, yet don't count towards anything on Cunard (or vice versa) when all three are owned by Carnival. :roll:

I think it is historical as Princess were owned by P&O.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

daib GC wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:

I think it is historical as Princess were owned by P&O.
Years ago Princess points used to be added to your P&O account but it stopped I think when they changed to the Peninsular club however as Shiney boy says your P&O cruises will qualify you with Princess for all sorts of perks :thumbup:

Go for it - you know you want to :lol:
Janis

Return to “Princess”