Leaving the theatre

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Leaving the theatre

Post by Ranchi »

Just back from Oriana where we had a lovely cruise. Good weather ( with one exception!) and calm seas all the way. The ship is well cared for & looks smart. Felt sorry for the Cruise Director as he addressed the backs of the heads of hoards of passengers as they bolted for the doors before the lights went up at the end of a performance. Courtesy should dictate that you don't turn your back on someone when they are speaking to you. He did try to suggest that it could be dangerous to walk up the stairs in the dark, but to no avail.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Leaving the theatre

Post by barney »

Bad form in my book Ranchi.

We are the opposite and wait until the mad rush has cleared before we move a muscle.

We saw one family leave halfway through the Muster Drill speech from the Captain on our last cruise.
Unbelievable, isn't it?
Empty vessels .. and all that

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

What is the haste some people have in leaving the theatre? I really don't understand it. It's not that they've got to catch the last bus/train home is it, particularly when it's the later performance of the show. Where are people in such a hurry to go to at 11.15pm? It's the same when we go to the cinema (which we rarely do these days) the minute the credits start to go up people leave in the dark. The last film we saw was "Dunkirk" and I couldn't remember the name of one of the actors - it was Mark Rylance - so I wanted to see who it was. Also I don't like walking down the stairs in the dark. Crazy, maybe it's just my age!

Carole

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

barney wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 10:59
Bad form in my book Ranchi.

We are the opposite and wait until the mad rush has cleared before we move a muscle.

We saw one family leave halfway through the Muster Drill speech from the Captain on our last cruise.
Unbelievable, isn't it?

Quite.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

CaroleF wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 11:04
Where are people in such a hurry to go to at 11.15pm?
Off to get their Horliks before it is all gone :moresarcasm:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Perhaps all the oldies were overcome with passion and couldn't wait to get upstairs?!

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

It is a fact that we are all different with varying behavior patterns

I tend to respect whatever, makes for an easier life

Lubboo all :wave:

gfw
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

You're too kind Graham.

I just think they're ill mannered.

The same as people who are standing up in the aisles of planes as they land before the seat belt sign goes out. In one case recently before the plane had even stopped!

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

From time to time, there's a show on 'at the back' that we want to see, immediately after the theatre show. On those occasions we sit near the back at the side of the theatre so we can make a quick exit and nip down the prom deck to get a reasonable seat down the other end. But we at least listen to what the CD says before we run off.

Is this bolting out of the theatre just a P&O thing ? I noticed on CMV that people didn't rush off the moment the show ended, but stayed to listen to what the CD had to say.
Gill

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

One of the most unedifying experiences of my last cruise on Azura was the sight of grown adults literally running from one end of the ship to get a seat at the other end. It wasn't helped that those who had already seen the show stayed on to see it again.
In my book it is rude to get up and walk out while the CD is still talking.
Last edited by oldbluefox on 21 Sep 2017, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

qbman1 wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 12:19
Perhaps all the oldies were overcome with passion and couldn't wait to get upstairs?!
A bloody dilemma for The Giant

CUZ . . . I cannot manage both any more
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

oldbluefox wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 15:41
One of the most unedifying experiences of my last cruise on Azura was the sight of grown adults literally running from one end of the ship to get a seat at the other end. It wasn't helped that those who had already seen the show stayed on to see it again.
In my book it is rude to get up and walk out while the CD is still talking.
We've come across that. I think they should stop serving drinks and ask guests to vacate the venue after the first show finishes. But of course they won't so the problem remains

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

I'm utterly baffled; why on earth would anyone want to watch the same show twice?
(I'm not even interested in watching once, but each to his/her own).

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

anniec wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 16:55
I'm utterly baffled; why on earth would anyone want to watch the same show twice?
(I'm not even interested in watching once, but each to his/her own).
:lol:

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Just a thought, could it be to do with the show having a therapeutic affect on age and or a minor disability, as some that I have seen shuffling about the decks during the day turn into sprinters from the theatre in the bows the the show lounge at the stern.
Don't worry, be happy

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

It is not just P&O bad manners, the worst example we have seen was on Queen Victoria, where people came in 10 minutes before the end of the first show and 3 of them proceeded to push past the people on the front row, who had to stand up for them. Then they changed seats and stood and waved to a friend to join them. During all this the solo artist (flute player) was standing right at the front of the stage trying to carry on with his show.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

JoanneB wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 12:09
During all this the solo artist (flute player) was standing right at the front of the stage trying to carry on with his show.
Had I been the flautist I think that my flute could have ended up somewhere where the sun don't shine :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

I would have gone into teacher mode and stopped mid phrase - and waited in silence for them with my head on one side and with raised eye brow.... and probably made a sarcie remark sotto voce
Meg
x

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

....and then thrown the blackboard rubber at him ?!

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”