why is an advertised port of call changed

Topics that are specific to cruising

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: why is an advertised port of call changed

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We had one Aurora cruise where we got to all the ports but in a different order as the Captain successfully avoided a storm which would have resulted in lost ports and extra very bumpy sea days. But still one passenger complained that they didn't want to be in Torshavn on a Tuesday. They were annoyed they weren't there on Friday!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 15 Nov 2017, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

I think that if anyone had made arrangements to meet up with friends or relations in any of the ports of call on the recent Oriana cruise, they would have had a nightmare trying to sort it out.

Maureen

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 17:56
We had one Aurora cruise where we got to all the ports but in a different order
Sounds like a Morecambe and Wise cruise Merv.
Don't worry, be happy

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

GillD46 wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 13:30
I think Katakolon is charming and love calling there.
Maybe, but what if you had been compelled to swap from Santorini?

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

bassman67 wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 22:27
GillD46 wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 13:30
I think Katakolon is charming and love calling there.
Maybe, but what if you had been compelled to swap from Santorini?
Personally, I’d prefer Katakolon, others may feel differently.
Gill

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

I just can not imagine how cruisers would react if PandO did what RCI have done. It was bad enough when they sold Adonia, and as for changing the itinerary.

Royal Caribbean is redeploying several ships from itineraries that have long been announced and open for bookings.It seems that they have more dates for going to Cuba than when the program was released.

For some cruisers the redeployments simply results in being moved from one ship to another, but for other cruisers their cruises have been cancelled; they can either rebook on another ship or get a full refund.
The changes are as follows:
Empress of the Seas will extend its Miami season rather than returning to Tampa in May 2018. Havana, Cuba, will be a stop on all Empress sailings starting March 26, 2018. Passengers on the previously scheduled Empress sailings will be moved to Majesty of the Seas, which is taking over those cruises.
Majesty of the Seas will move from Port Canaveral to Tampa in May 2018 to take over the itineraries previously scheduled for Empress. Passengers already booked on Majesty sailings will be moved to Enchantment of the Seas, which is taking over those cruises.
Enchantment of the Seas will no longer homeport in Galveston. Instead it will move to Port Canaveral beginning June 2018. Enchantment sailings between June 23, 2018, and March 13, 2019, as well as the April 19, 2019, sailing have been cancelled as a result.
Vision of the Seas will stop sailing from New Orleans in March 2019, moving instead to Galveston for the winter season. Sailings previously scheduled on Vision between March 9, 2018, and April 13, 2019, have been cancelled.

I am sure the Americans will just say "Oh drat" and take it in their stride. Sure they will. :crazy:
Don't worry, be happy

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

There would be a huge outcry if P&O did that - newspaper headlines and goodness knows what else!

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”