Topics that are specific to cruising

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: P&O Suite v Cunard Princess Grills

Post by david63 »

Dancing Queen wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 09:47
I was just interested if anyone might think of giving Cunard a try
As I said before the itineraries don't work for us which is why we have never been with Cunard - actually I have been with Cunard on Cunard Princess and again when she went to NCL as Norwegian Dynasty!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Annie is right John the areas reserved for Grill passengers is hardly noticeable - basically a different dining room and sun terrace, everything else is open to everyone to enjoy so really no limits at all'

I was just interested if anyone might think of giving Cunard a try as I frequently see passengers on board who I recognise from P&O.

Thoil isn't a word I've ever come across although I'm South Yorkshire rather than West but know lots of 'westies' so I think I must have led a very sheltered life :lolno: :lolno: :wave:
I don't know the ships or the shape, size or location of their accessible cabins, and I assume their prices are much higher than P&O, which along with their on board prices being in dollars, drink prices far higher and gratuities still required, they don't seem to fit my frugal Yorkshire psyche. Along with all those P&O have far more Southampton sailings and, despite their many shortcomings, they provide us with the sort of cruise we now enjoy.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

We tried Queen Elizabeth for a short cruise and very much enjoyed it. Totally different from P & O.

The ship was elegant and understated. No announcements which gave a peaceful atmosphere. Not aware of the class system and we were treated as valued guests by all the staff.

Enjoyed the Enrichment Programme. Shows not the best so P & O are winners here. Food portions were small but you can ask for more.

The experience made for a more relaxing cruise.

Have booked again for a longer cruise but controversially are not doing the formal bit so happy to use the buffett on the Gala nights and keep out of the way so as not to offend. Odd how the high end cruise lines dont expect the dressing up. I find the pictures on the Cunard website on dress suggestions highly offensive and uneccesary!

Looking forward to seeing places we have not been to and this is the prime reason for the cruise.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

david63 wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 11:30
I was just interested if anyone might think of giving Cunard a try
As I said before the itineraries don't work for us which is why we have never been with Cunard - actually I have been with Cunard on Cunard Princess and again when she went to NCL as Norwegian Dynasty!

I couldn't disagree about itineraries but then we are talking 3 ships ( one of which spends much of the year doing TA's and another which from this year and next has/will spend a lot of time in Oz/Asia and Alaska ) compared to 6 P&O ships ( hope I've got that number correct !! ) we are severely restricted where we can travel due to insurance restrictions but if we weren't then Cunard would more than meet our needs they have some wonderful WC sectors but as you say it depends on when you want to go too.

Ahhh that's a blast from the past Cunard Princess, if I remember correctly Princess and also Cunard Countess both mainly sailed in the Caribbean - didn't they advertise them as doing 12 islands in 14 days ha ha don't think any cruise line would match that today !!
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Finker wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 17:35
I find the pictures on the Cunard website on dress suggestions highly offensive and uneccesary!

I had not seen the examples of dress code, but have now looked and just wondered what you found highly offensive. Please understand I am not challenging you, I am genuinely curious.
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

towny44 wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 15:37
Annie is right John the areas reserved for Grill passengers is hardly noticeable - basically a different dining room and sun terrace, everything else is open to everyone to enjoy so really no limits at all'

I was just interested if anyone might think of giving Cunard a try as I frequently see passengers on board who I recognise from P&O.

Thoil isn't a word I've ever come across although I'm South Yorkshire rather than West but know lots of 'westies' so I think I must have led a very sheltered life :lolno: :lolno: :wave:
I don't know the ships or the shape, size or location of their accessible cabins, and I assume their prices are much higher than P&O, which along with their on board prices being in dollars, drink prices far higher and gratuities still required, they don't seem to fit my frugal Yorkshire psyche. Along with all those P&O have far more Southampton sailings and, despite their many shortcomings, they provide us with the sort of cruise we now enjoy.

You might be pleasantly surprised at the prices John as I don't think there is much difference between them and P&O especially as you have to book early to get a SA cabin, I certainly think they are on a par with Celebrity ( am I right in thinking you are a Celebrity fan ?? )

One thing I would point out is Cunard are very good with their upgrades so it might be worth checking out with your TA if SA cabins are eligible to go on the upgrade list ( should be easy enough to figure out which cabins might be available ) you could well find yourself upgraded to PG or even QG - now P&O don't offer that !! as I say though I don't know if this is what they do but I can't see why not.

You are right drinks are more expensive as are the gratuities but both these things are within your own control.

Ha ha my husband has Yorkshire psyche and he isn't even a Yorkshire man :lolno: :wtf:
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We actually booked a cruise to the Black Sea a few years ago, in an Q6. The entry level suite on Aurora, doing a virtually identical itinerary was actually over £1,000 more. Without the bonus of the Grill’s restaurants. And this was by no means the only one we’ve seen over the years.
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Finker wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 17:35
We tried Queen Elizabeth for a short cruise and very much enjoyed it. Totally different from P & O.

The ship was elegant and understated. No announcements which gave a peaceful atmosphere. Not aware of the class system and we were treated as valued guests by all the staff.

Enjoyed the Enrichment Programme. Shows not the best so P & O are winners here. Food portions were small but you can ask for more.

The experience made for a more relaxing cruise.

Have booked again for a longer cruise but controversially are not doing the formal bit so happy to use the buffett on the Gala nights and keep out of the way so as not to offend. Odd how the high end cruise lines dont expect the dressing up. I find the pictures on the Cunard website on dress suggestions highly offensive and uneccesary!

Looking forward to seeing places we have not been to and this is the prime reason for the cruise.

Good to know we have another Cunard fan on board Finker.

I agree with all you say except the 'formal bit' but that is because I do enjoy the formality and why I choose Cunard but the choice is there for all so I respect your choice.

Cunard are much more flexible now on which venues you can visit if not partaking in formal evenings so I'm sure this will also enhance your cruise.
Jo

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

Thank you Jo for your kind words. GillD to answer your question the examples of the dress code inferred a certain type of dress. The models were "perfect" and whilst the brands were varied it gives a certain impression. I.e this is the way we would like you to look. The people we saw on our Cunard cruise in the main were average ordinary people.

I really liked the Cunard product but happy to be on the sidelines.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Dancing Queen wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 17:48
Ahhh that's a blast from the past Cunard Princess, if I remember correctly Princess and also Cunard Countess both mainly sailed in the Caribbean - didn't they advertise them as doing 12 islands in 14 days ha ha don't think any cruise line would match that today !!
When I was on Cunard Princess it was around the Med and Egypt, shortly after she had her refit after returning from the Falklands

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

We’ve been thinking of Cunard for 2021. It’ll be our 40th wedding anniversary and my husband’s 70th birthday. This year and next year there’s a QV cruise in September that goes to Venice, so that would be ideal if it’s the same in 2021.

We would probably go in Britannia Club, as we like the idea of our own dining table whenever we want it.
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Finker wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 19:09
Thank you Jo for your kind words. GillD to answer your question the examples of the dress code inferred a certain type of dress. The models were "perfect" and whilst the brands were varied it gives a certain impression. I.e this is the way we would like you to look. The people we saw on our Cunard cruise in the main were average ordinary people.

I really liked the Cunard product but happy to be on the sidelines.
Thanks for explaining that. As you say, most people are ordinary, tidily dressed. I think the pictures are fairly recent and posted in place of the written dress code, which wasn't very clear when they changed the description from formal to gala.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your next trip as much as this one. :)
Gill

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Gill W wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 22:14
We’ve been thinking of Cunard for 2021. It’ll be our 40th wedding anniversary and my husband’s 70th birthday. This year and next year there’s a QV cruise in September that goes to Venice, so that would be ideal if it’s the same in 2021.

We would probably go in Britannia Club, as we like the idea of our own dining table whenever we want it.
The Club restaurant looked lovely. I think that would be our likely choice to stay in our normal price bracket.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I'm working on it! Waiting for John to be given the all clear healthwise and then we'll see.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 08:07

The Club restaurant looked lovely. I think that would be our likely choice to stay in our normal price bracket.

The Britannia Club restaurant does look lovely.

For the last few years Cunard have tended to offer an Adriatic cruise in September so chances are there will be one in 2021, they are always very popular though so you would need to book as soon as they go on sale - Britannia Club also seems to sell out very quickly too on most cruises.
Jo

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Dancing Queen wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 14:22

For the last few years Cunard have tended to offer an Adriatic cruise in September so chances are there will be one in 2021, they are always very popular though so you would need to book as soon as they go on sale - Britannia Club also seems to sell out very quickly too on most cruises.
You are quite right, Dancing Queen. We have been on Cunard's Adriatic September cruises a couple of times and are booked again for this September; I just had a look at availability and every category of cabin is still available apart from Britannia Club.

Gill and Mervyn: the Penthouse is available for a mere £12,696pp.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

anniec wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 15:00

You are quite right, Dancing Queen. We have been on Cunard's Adriatic September cruises a couple of times and are booked again for this September; I just had a look at availability and every category of cabin is still available apart from Britannia Club.

Gill and Mervyn: the Penthouse is available for a mere £12,696pp.

Or a Q1 for a mere £19560 :o :crazy: :crazy:
Jo

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Dancing Queen wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 16:51
Or a Q1 for a mere £19560 :o :crazy: :crazy:
Darn, I missed that ;)

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Some lucky person will probably get an upgrade ;)
Jo

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Dancing Queen wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 16:51
Or a Q1 for a mere £19560
Is that all? Can we have one each? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 08:07

The Britannia Club restaurant does look lovely.

We would book early. We have no early booking rights, but will book as soon the cruise goes on general sale
Gill

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”