Re: Worst than the Noro.? Stuck on board with Coronavirus

Post by towny44 »

JoanneB wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 07:33
Celebrity have already reacted to the Italian outbreak

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert

“Until further notice, all ships in the Royal Caribbean
Cruises Ltd. fleet will adopt these health screening protocols:
1. Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:
Any guest who has travelled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto in the past 15 days.
Any guest who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, and the Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.
Guests who report feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptoms.”
That is very similar to the statement on P&O's website about Covid19 precautions.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Daughter says they are in that area Adaje but not in that hotel.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Whynd1 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 10:27
Daughter says they are in that area Adaje but not in that hotel.
Will they remain in Adaje or move to another part of the Island do you think ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

It was only a weeks cycling holiday.

Not sure yet ,they are out on the bikes at the moment.

They are about 10 mins away from the affected hotel.

Funny thing is they usually go snowboarding but felt they would like a change.

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

So sorry to hear this. Quite a worry for you all.

I will be thinking about your daughter and hope they remain well.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Onelife wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 17:18
kaymar wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 14:50
Onelife wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 16:44
Four of the cruise ship passengers brought back to UK have tested positive.

Italy impose travel restrictions.

l feel sorry for all of you who have upcoming cruises......If l were in your shoes l would consider canceling for sure.
Appreciate your sympathy, Onelife, but it's not, perhaps, quite straightforward.

We are booked on J003 at the end of April, supposedly calling at Genoa (50 miles from biggest concentration of the virus in Italy) as well as other Italian ports. Paid the balance of the cost a month ago, so we are out about £5k. with two months to go and a number of things could happen.

1. P&O could just say it's O.K., we are sailing anyway
2. They could change the itinerary and miss out the ports with the greatest percieved risk.
3. They could cancel.

Still lots of time for the outbreak to improve or, indeed, to worsen and I suspect P&O will not commit either way for some time yet.

If they cancel then our decision is made for us. If not, then we have to decide whether or not to take whatever risk exists and go anyway or whether to play it safe, write off the £5k and stay at home. Home is an island in the Irish Sea with, hopefully a lesser risk of the virus reaching us than some places.

So, we're in a bit of a quandry right now with, we think, little option but to wait and see - unless someone knows otherwise...........!
Hi Kaymar,

Should the situation worsen one can only hope the decision is taken out of your hands.... £5k would be an awful amount of money to lose if you were to have to make that decision yourself

Should things worsen l hope cruise ships sailing out of the UK will only be allowed to do so under Government guidance and not by those who's profit margins could influence that decision.

Regards

keith
We can get 50% back if we cancel within the next two days, Keith, which is a lot better than nothing, then it goes down to 40% and so on in stages. If in due course the cruise is cancelled (and things are worsening in Italy and France every day) then presumably that would mean a full refund but I guess P&O will not make such a decision until and unless there is no alternative. I don't think we can wait that long.

Regards
Keith (also!)

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I think you may your answer. This morning the government has advised against all but essential travel to those affected areas of Italy.

Going to see later this morning what is happening with daughter and son in law. I'm for them cutting their holidbshort and trying to book seats on an available flight out asap.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Keith,

Others may be able to advise better but l would check with your travel agent as to whether you'd still be entitled to a full refund (after having cancelled your cruise yourself) should your cruise be canceled by the Cruise line at a latter date.

Not a nice predicament to be in Keith.....For what it's worth my view is that if the Coronavirus continues to see 'no' significant reduction over the next few weeks then there is a real possibility that many cruises will get canceled anyway. If on the other hand your cruise goes ahead the question you have to ask yourselves is will you enjoy it knowing what could lie ahead?

It's one of them Keith

Regards

Keith

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

If I were in the same position my inclination would be to cancel and re-book an alternate cruise with the same provider …. little or even no loss with this particular option.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 09:11
If I were in the same position my inclination would be to cancel and re-book an alternate cruise with the same provider …. little or even no loss with this particular option.

I didn't know you could do that Mob......A win win considering the alternatives :thumbup:

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Onelife wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 08:30
Hi Keith,

Others may be able to advise better but l would check with your travel agent as to whether you'd still be entitled to a full refund (after having cancelled your cruise yourself) should your cruise be canceled by the Cruise line at a latter date.

Not a nice predicament to be in Keith.....For what it's worth my view is that if the Coronavirus continues to see 'no' significant reduction over the next few weeks then there is a real possibility that many cruises will get canceled anyway. If on the other hand your cruise goes ahead the question you have to ask yourselves is will you enjoy it knowing what could lie ahead?

It's one of them Keith

Regards

Keith
Exactly the questions we have been asking ourselves, Keith (among many others!). We booked through Bolsover and they advise leaving cancellation until the last minute to get back 50% as P&O are said to be "looking at" this cruise (J003) with a view to amendment or cancellation. Would we want a different itinerary? The way things are going, not sure that there is a "safe" one that we would be attracted to. :?

K

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

We put that to Bolsover last week, mob. They said that's not an option once we have paid in full. Only cancellation with a loss of half the cost. Full refund if P&O cancel, of course, but time is short for them to do that.
Last edited by kaymar on 26 Feb 2020, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Onelife wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 10:00

I didn't know you could do that Mob......A win win considering the alternatives :thumbup:
It might be but you can only do it once, and it must be within 12 months of the original cruise, and who knows if the situation will be resolved before your re-booked cruise.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

No further news from our family in Adeja today. Suspect they are out on the bikes.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Whynd1 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:19
No further news from our family in Adeja today. Suspect they are out on the bikes.
Hopefully, Lindsey, they are still able to enjoy their holiday and arrive home on the original date. Not so good for all those stuck in the hotel. Sounds like they will be quarantined for 2 weeks instead of getting to see the island.

We have already paid for our Azura cruise so unless PO cancel it we are in the same position as Kaymar losing our money if we decide not to go. The balance for the cruise on Aurora in June is due to be paid on 7th March and I'm edging towards not paying the balance and cancelling it. Luckily, because we booked an inside cabin in September 2018 we only had to pay a deposit of £135 between us. I did enquire about a balcony in case we were confined to cabin based on the price of a balcony on the day we booked but PO wanted a further £2200 pounds on top of the £2511 we currently have to pay. No chance of that. That's another cruise to us.

Maureen

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I'm in the same position for my Easter cruise Maureen. Paid full balance and it's only 6 weeks away so will have to play the waiting game.

Truth is if I had only paid the deposit I would be cancelling and I dont say that lightly. I love my cruises and go away with friends and we have a lovely time.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We're shortly due to pay the balance on our QM2 New York trip. Biggest danger there is probably Trump!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

End of May on Azura to the med 🤞

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

We are having to take into account my husband's age (77) and his heart condition so we will seek advice from the doctor nearer the time regarding whether to proceed with the Azura trip in April but at the moment I feel it is better to lose our small June cruise deposit and then look for a late cruise in June if things settle down (although I can't see that happening yet). If it wasn't for the health issue I wouldn't be too worried and we would happily go.

Maureen

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

there was something about cancellation on TV this morning. If your dr says it's better he didn't travel - the insurance co. might well pay up - so no lost deposit
Meg
x

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I also read something - maybe from the BMA, not sure - saying that they didn't think that Insurers should be asking passengers to take up Doctors' time writing letters to insurers. They seemed to be saying that a copy of the passenger's medical history should be enough which can be obtained from the surgery without the doctor's involvement. Not sure that would happen either.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Meg 50 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 09:53
there was something about cancellation on TV this morning. If your dr says it's better he didn't travel - the insurance co. might well pay up - so no lost deposit
Hi Meg, yes I saw that. We aren't too worried about our deposits on each of our 4 four cruises this year as they were very small amounts in each case luckily. It's the full amount for the Azura cruise in April which we would hope the insurance company would refund (£2300) but if they won't and the Doctor advises against the trip then we will just have to face the loss - we will be guided by the Doctor.

Back to last minute cruises in future !!!

Maureen

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Meg 50 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 09:53
Correct …. it was on the BBC Travel Show pre the Breakfast Program. It was categorically stated that if you cancel because you don't want to go then the Insurer will NOT pay up but they probably will if one's Doc says you are at greater risk because of your medical situation.

ps … Insurance Companies, in the event of a claim, are deffo able to establish one's medical history.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 27 Feb 2020, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

My motto is be prepared.........Screwfix are selling good quality face masks for £2.99 each.......when there gone there gone.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Onelife wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 12:16
My motto is be prepared.........Screwfix are selling good quality face masks for £2.99 each.......when there gone there gone.
Have you managed to consume the 40 tons of canned food you bought last year preparing for a Hard Brexit ?

:lol:

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”