Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
vistana2914
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Cruising post Covid-19

Post by vistana2914 »

Hi,

We are hoping to maybe go on a cruise in May 21 if everything is up and running to Norway. I have been reading a few forums and it seems to be coming across at the moment with some cruise lines that you will not be allowed to leave the ship unless you are on 1 of the ship tours. We usually like to book an independent tour or just go around on our own, is this going to be possible?

Thanks

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Cruising post Covid-19

Post by barney »

Nobody really knows at the moment.
Unfortunately.
Of the few that are operating at the moment, only organised tours are allowed.
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

It seems that is the likely situation from the info coming out of the cruise lines but it might change if there is a vaccine or a significant change in the level of infections.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

vistana2914 wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 18:08
Hi,

We are hoping to maybe go on a cruise in May 21 if everything is up and running to Norway. I have been reading a few forums and it seems to be coming across at the moment with some cruise lines that you will not be allowed to leave the ship unless you are on 1 of the ship tours. We usually like to book an independent tour or just go around on our own, is this going to be possible?

Thanks
At the minute it is very unlikely you will be allowed to DIY.
There was a story a few weeks back were a family did do their own thing and were not allowed back on the ship.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/cruise ... strictions

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

No mention that I could find about going ashore (I have enquired), but might be useful info for those sailing or thinking about sailing with this cruise line.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-wi ... se-health/

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Iona now officially part of the fleet.! Shame it’s not going anywhere soon.🤭
Mel

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Hi,

Thanks
Short answer : Probably not.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

allatc wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 16:45
Hi,

Thanks
Short answer : Probably not.
Long answer : it's probably quite unlikely
John

Topic author
vistana2914
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by vistana2914 »

Well looks like we will have to give cruising a miss for a while never mind I will get back there 1 day, for the time being we are in total lockdown from 6pm Friday for 17 days so not going anywhere except work.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Us too here in Swansea.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I don't think that there are any cruises scheduled to sail in the next17 days so you should be OK

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Just received notification from P&O that our Caribbean cruise next March has been cancelled. It was paid for using FCC from a previous cancelled cruise.

I think that means we are now up to 7 holidays that have been cancelled/curtailed :(

Ginny-T
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ginny-T »

We were due to cruise last June, but swapped the booking to May 21. I really don't want to go on a cruise where I have to wear a mask and maintain social distancing (which I think will be difficult if they allow the usual number of passengers).

I think that we'll just cancel and put the lost deposit down to experience. Shame, but I don't think that we'll ever cruise again.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Ginny-T wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 15:23
We were due to cruise last June, but swapped the booking to May 21. I really don't want to go on a cruise where I have to wear a mask and maintain social distancing (which I think will be difficult if they allow the usual number of passengers).

I think that we'll just cancel and put the lost deposit down to experience. Shame, but I don't think that we'll ever cruise again.
add to that not being allowed off unless on an organised/accredited trip.
Meg
x

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Ginny-T wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 15:23

You could transfer the booking again at no cost and, under current T&Cs, to a summer 2022 sailing when they launch them next week.
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

But the replacement cruise would surely be at a far higher price than the one originally booked ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Manoverboard wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 09:38
But the replacement cruise would surely be at a far higher price than the one originally booked ?
Currently they have relaxed the transfer conditions so that people can transfer to cruise with a lower fare.

However, they could revert to their standard transfer conditions at any time.
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We will find that out next Tuesday.
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 09:50
Currently they have relaxed the transfer conditions so that people can transfer to cruise with a lower fare.

Ok, thanks, but the base price for a similar cruise booked way back could have doubled in price by 2022. At the end of the day many will cancel and lose their deposit but meanwhile P&O will have been keeping afloat courtesy of the deposits ?

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We’re due to sail at the end of May on a transferred cruise, we will wait and see what’s on offer for summer 22, if nothing floats our boat we will probably cancel and lose the deposit,around £400 but will save the £3000 ish.We have Azura booked last week in September,hopefully things will be sorted somewhat by then,we’ll see.Otherwise we’ll cancel, deposit only £200, and put the cash for both cruises towards going back to Oz.
Mel

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Manoverboard wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 10:43
Gill W wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 09:50

Ok, thanks, but the base price for a similar cruise booked way back could have doubled in price by 2022. At the end of the day many will cancel and lose their deposit but meanwhile P&O will have been keeping afloat courtesy of the deposits ?
I think you are right.

People with small 5% deposits might well take the hit, as they’d need to pay more to secure a similar 2022 cruise at a higher price and don’t feel inclined to tie up any more of their money in Carnival Plc

Edited to add -

I’ve got a long cruise booked for early 2022, which I no longer want to do.

The deposit, even at 5%, is still quite a lot of money, so I’m not particularly minded to lose this money, so I will consider moving it to shorter duration cruise in summer 2022. Although part of me says wait for the inevitable cancellation and get my money back.

I’ve also got a similar situation with a Cunard cruise for next October. A 19 day cruise, but in Britannia Club and I paid a 15% deposit for that.
Last edited by Gill W on 29 Oct 2020, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I have asked my travel agent about moving my deposit for April 2021 to use against a 2022 cruise. She is going to ring me on Tuesday when the cruises appear with prices.

Have made the decision not to travel next April.

On another note
I had booked a 3 night break at my usual Warners for early November. Due to our lockdown here ,
am unable to travel, so applied for a redund under their covid guarantee. No problem, refunded in full with 10 days.

Lindsey

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

We have got 3 cruises all booked for next year - they are all paid for completely with FCC - we are going to transfer all the money to World Cruise 2022 and see what happens 🙏🙏

macca1914
Cadet
Cadet

Post by macca1914 »

We have a cruise booked for 11 July 2021 with P&O for my wife, myself my daughter and her friend. P&O have advised that shore excursions have to be taken with an organised operator, which has to be paid for. So that is expensive for a party of four, which we did not envisage as we were doing our own thing. Completely understandable to have precautions in place, but the added expense of tours for six port stops may be too much. I'm worried now we will lose our deposit as well.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Swap the cruise for one in 2022 and accept the Admin charge if requested is the way to go.

ps ... Hello and welcome :wave:

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”