cruising for 2016

Topics that are specific to cruising

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: cruising for 2016

Post by Gill W »

I've only had a chance to have a quick look at the new P&O brochure.

The only cruise I'd really like to do is the North America one in September 2016. But we are doing 35 nights on Oceana in February, so we aren't really wanting to do another long cruise in the same year.

I've had a half hearted look at the British Isles on Oriana in August, but I'm not really sure.

A river cruise is also being considered as an alternative.

Or we may book nothing, and wait to do part of a world cruise in 2017.
Gill

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

I wanted to do the North America one, but the travel insurance cost is prohibitive. Two of our group have medical conditions. Just not going to pay it.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Just been looking at the Princess website. Prices for 2016 seem to have rocketed up.

We've generally had a balcony cabin for round about £100 per day/pp, sometimes less.
A Princess cruise I like the look of for October 2016 has balcony prices of £220 per day.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Found a Princess cruise in Jan 2016. Here's the dilemma - do I go for a two week P&O fly cruise to the Caribbean for a fixed length of two weeks (I don't want extra time in Barbados) or do I do a DIY package with flights to Miami to pick up Princess ship in Ft Lauderdale which will cost almost exactly the same but I can extend with extra days in Florida.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

oldbluefox wrote:
I may have found something!!! Oriana August 2016 to Praia da Rocha, Tarragona,Valencia,Cartagena, Malaga and Tangiers plus there's a festival in Malaga. Five new ports for us so that has to be a good favourite.
We have just ore registered for that one. It took our eye as well. I will retire at the end of this year so have also preregistered for Oriana in April going to America and Arcadia in September going to different ports in America.

Sue

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Suekersh wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
I may have found something!!! Oriana August 2016 to Praia da Rocha, Tarragona,Valencia,Cartagena, Malaga and Tangiers plus there's a festival in Malaga. Five new ports for us so that has to be a good favourite.
We have just ore registered for that one. It took our eye as well. I will retire at the end of this year so have also preregistered for Oriana in April going to America and Arcadia in September going to different ports in America.

Sue

Hi Sue

We were very interested in this one and although we haven't registered have been keeping an eye on the prices. A few days ago the mini suites were increased from £2799 to £3099. I can only assume that the registration for that particular grade has been very popular. For us the increase would be too much so we are now no longer interested in that cruise. There is a note on the details of 'cabins and prices ' and it appears that prices can be updated on a daily basis.I hadn't realised this as thought the prices would remain the same until they officially went on sale.

Hope you got your registration at a favourable rate. It does sound a lovely itinerary so hope you have a great time.

Anne

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Anne, speak to a TA or P & O as I am sure that I have seen that they honouring the prices quoted in the brochure. We are booking an outside cabin and have been quoted less than the brochure price. It is a Captains choice cruise so 10% off anyway and our TA gives us a further 5%.

Sue

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Thank you Sue I might just do that although the reason we hadn't registered yet is because we are away on the dates that the cruises go on sale. However It might be worth speaking to PO anyway.

Anne

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

The new brochure came out whilst we were on board Azura, so we attended the presentation by the Future Cruise Sales staff. No brochures to hand out, but there was a printout of the calendar which we now know to be on the back of the brochure. Brochure was ready and waiting for us when we got home.

One or two tempters out there, but I have spied a nice roundtrip trans-atlantic on QM2 which fits in well with our holiday calender (both still have to work. :( ). Yet to give Cunard a go.

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

What's more to the point, the prices seem to be around £400pp more for 2016 Caribbean cruises than 2015. That's a real turn-off as my income hasn't risen by 25%!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

That's interesting bm67, because we've just pre-registered for a 2017 round-trip Caribbean and got a price which is less than the 2016 version of the same cruise is currently selling for.

For 2016 it's QM2 westbound for us to visit friends in New Jersey.

Our plans to do Adonia are now on hold till it becomes clearer what her future holds. Shame as we really liked some of the 2015 stuff she was doing which is seemingly not to be repeated in the immediate future.

Perhaps 2018 then..............

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Have had good news on a bone scan so can look to booking for 2016 now.
Lindsey

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Whynd1 wrote:
Lindsey
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Whynd1 wrote:
Lindsey
That's great news, Lindsey. :thumbup:

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Excellent news Lindsay. Get booking and make the most of the good news.

Sue

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Hi Sue

Am on the case.

Have two booked for this year. Arcadia for 5 nights in June and Oriana in November for 18 nights.

Just heard this morning got my booking for Arcadia next year.

Regards to you both
Lindsey

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Alright! Alright! No need to go mad!! :lol:
(Don't blame you though :thumbup: )

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Dear old blue fox

Do not wish to mislead the 2 cruises for this year had already been booked, but was worried if the scan result had gone the other way then I would have had to cancel this years cruises for further treatment. As had good news decided to book for next year and have something to look forward to.

Lindsey

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Not much in the way of to/from Southampton in Jan/Feb.

Did a nice 14 night cruise to Spain Portugal and Morocco in Jan 2015,

Nothing of that ilk in 2016 except one Canaries cruise on 2 Jan.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”