cruising for 2016

Topics that are specific to cruising

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: cruising for 2016

Post by Manoverboard »

Having read through the ' abbreviated ' version we could probably give the full version a miss ... same old same it seemed and even less itineraries that would appeal to us.

Apart from the unknown possibilities on Adonia think I feel another Riverboat Cruise coming on.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Normal size brochure has just been delivered but still can't see anything to do with Adonia in it.

Seabird
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Seabird »

Manoverboard wrote:
Having read through the ' abbreviated ' version we could probably give the full version a miss ... same old same it seemed and even less itineraries that would appeal to us.

Apart from the unknown possibilities on Adonia think I feel another Riverboat Cruise coming on.

My reaction exactly!!

Not holding my breath for the "World Cruise" series of two week "bus" trips either.

Sadly it looks like it's time to move on.

Seabird

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Having never done the Baltic's were looking at J607 in June 16, it sails 4 days after my retirement so would fit nicely.
Mel

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Had a quick look through and was decidedly unimpressed. There are plenty of trips going to Rome and Venice but it's just more of the same old, same old with little by way of variation.
I like P&O but if this is the best they can come up with I may be looking elsewhere. Fred does some good itineraries, plus there are departures from Liverpool and Newcastle, but the ships look like right rust buckets so I'm not so sure. Never say never though.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

oldbluefox wrote:
Had a quick look through and was decidedly unimpressed. There are plenty of trips going to Rome and Venice but it's just more of the same old, same old with little by way of variation.
I like P&O but if this is the best they can come up with I may be looking elsewhere. Fred does some good itineraries, plus there are departures from Liverpool and Newcastle, but the ships look like right rust buckets so I'm not so sure. Never say never though.
C&M have a new ship the Magellen, ex Carnival 46,000 out of the Tyne. Not sure when it starts.

What about the Greek Isles from Southampton???.

All the cruise lines are going to be a bit restricted if they cannot use North Africa or the Black Sea.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I would love to do the Greek isles from Southampton and have never understood why P and O didn't do something like it with one of their smaller ships.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Whynd1 wrote:
I would love to do the Greek isles from Southampton and have never understood why P and O didn't do something like it with one of their smaller ships.

In that case you want Oriana 17th July x611 with at least 5 ports not seen much if ever. Only thing is that it is 21 nights. Never seen anything like this before. It will be popular.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Whynd1 wrote:

Yes there are 4 Greek Isles cruises, 2 with Ventura and 2 with Azura.

They look good but we already have our 4 sorted for the year.

Next year

Dai

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

daib GC wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
C&M have a new ship the Magellen, ex Carnival 46,000 out of the Tyne. Not sure when it starts.

What about the Greek Isles from Southampton???.

All the cruise lines are going to be a bit restricted if they cannot use North Africa or the Black Sea.
I must admit I was quite impressed by what I saw of C&M in the Quest Mighty Ships programmes. I shall certainly be having a look at their itineraries, especially Magellan.
Most of P&O 's Norwegian cruises are just 7 day affairs, their Baltic cruises mainly cover the same ground/sea although I wouldn't mind being in Kiel for Kiel week on Arcadia.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We are obviously not high enough up the Peninsular club ladder to warrant our own P&O brochure, yet, but we did get one from Bolsover which seems to cover all our needs. We don't find the itineraries boring, but then we don't really cruise to see different ports, we just seek out flat promenades where I can easily push my wifes wheelchair. Our desires are for more variety in the W Med itineraries rather than ones that always include Rome and Florence, and TBH P&O do have more of these than some cruise lines. We are also happy to see that P&O's prices for 2016 seem a lot more reasonable than Princess, their Carnival sibling, and we feel sure that at least one of their itineraries will find favour with us for next year.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

daib GC wrote:
Whynd1 wrote:

In that case you want Oriana 17th July x611 with at least 5 ports not seen much if ever. Only thing is that it is 21 nights. Never seen anything like this before. It will be popular.
I
Popular, do you think so ?

I spotted 3 possible new places ...

Crotone - on the barren boot of Italy, it has a Castle and a Cathedral
Sarande - a delightful beach resort in Albania
Monemvasia - is a large Greek Rock in the sea linked by a causeway but is virtually deserted

There is only one decent Greek Island, that of Corfu. To see the Greek / Turkish Islands and/or small coastal Ports properly P&O would need to base a ship in Crete or similar, like Ocean Village in reality ... albeit flying isn't for everybody of course.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I've had time to have a good look now and yes it's the same old, same old.

So we'll book something looking for places we've been to before and really liked.

I've spotted one in early November down to Spain & Morocco so we'll enjoy the summer sun in our garden with a late holiday to look forward to.
We've done that the last few years and it works for us.

This cruise is on Arcadia so we may well book our usual cabin on the back again.
Nice, large balcony plus Arcadia has a covered pool.
Empty vessels .. and all that

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

We are opting for Oriana Oct 2016. Zadar, Trieste, Crotone to name a few different ports.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I may have found something!!! Oriana August 2016 to Praia da Rocha, Tarragona,Valencia,Cartagena, Malaga and Tangiers plus there's a festival in Malaga. Five new ports for us so that has to be a good favourite.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I've only had a chance to have a quick look at the new P&O brochure.

The only cruise I'd really like to do is the North America one in September 2016. But we are doing 35 nights on Oceana in February, so we aren't really wanting to do another long cruise in the same year.

I've had a half hearted look at the British Isles on Oriana in August, but I'm not really sure.

A river cruise is also being considered as an alternative.

Or we may book nothing, and wait to do part of a world cruise in 2017.
Gill

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

I wanted to do the North America one, but the travel insurance cost is prohibitive. Two of our group have medical conditions. Just not going to pay it.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Just been looking at the Princess website. Prices for 2016 seem to have rocketed up.

We've generally had a balcony cabin for round about £100 per day/pp, sometimes less.
A Princess cruise I like the look of for October 2016 has balcony prices of £220 per day.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Found a Princess cruise in Jan 2016. Here's the dilemma - do I go for a two week P&O fly cruise to the Caribbean for a fixed length of two weeks (I don't want extra time in Barbados) or do I do a DIY package with flights to Miami to pick up Princess ship in Ft Lauderdale which will cost almost exactly the same but I can extend with extra days in Florida.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

oldbluefox wrote:
I may have found something!!! Oriana August 2016 to Praia da Rocha, Tarragona,Valencia,Cartagena, Malaga and Tangiers plus there's a festival in Malaga. Five new ports for us so that has to be a good favourite.
We have just ore registered for that one. It took our eye as well. I will retire at the end of this year so have also preregistered for Oriana in April going to America and Arcadia in September going to different ports in America.

Sue

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Suekersh wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
We have just ore registered for that one. It took our eye as well. I will retire at the end of this year so have also preregistered for Oriana in April going to America and Arcadia in September going to different ports in America.

Sue

Hi Sue

We were very interested in this one and although we haven't registered have been keeping an eye on the prices. A few days ago the mini suites were increased from £2799 to £3099. I can only assume that the registration for that particular grade has been very popular. For us the increase would be too much so we are now no longer interested in that cruise. There is a note on the details of 'cabins and prices ' and it appears that prices can be updated on a daily basis.I hadn't realised this as thought the prices would remain the same until they officially went on sale.

Hope you got your registration at a favourable rate. It does sound a lovely itinerary so hope you have a great time.

Anne

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Anne, speak to a TA or P & O as I am sure that I have seen that they honouring the prices quoted in the brochure. We are booking an outside cabin and have been quoted less than the brochure price. It is a Captains choice cruise so 10% off anyway and our TA gives us a further 5%.

Sue

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Thank you Sue I might just do that although the reason we hadn't registered yet is because we are away on the dates that the cruises go on sale. However It might be worth speaking to PO anyway.

Anne

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

The new brochure came out whilst we were on board Azura, so we attended the presentation by the Future Cruise Sales staff. No brochures to hand out, but there was a printout of the calendar which we now know to be on the back of the brochure. Brochure was ready and waiting for us when we got home.

One or two tempters out there, but I have spied a nice roundtrip trans-atlantic on QM2 which fits in well with our holiday calender (both still have to work. :( ). Yet to give Cunard a go.

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

What's more to the point, the prices seem to be around £400pp more for 2016 Caribbean cruises than 2015. That's a real turn-off as my income hasn't risen by 25%!

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”